Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another Qantas planes engine catches fire (Read 1945 times)
JC Denton
Gold Member

Re: Another Qantas planes engine catches fire
Reply #15 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 12:12pm

Remind me never to fly Qantas again.

IP Logged

Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 12:28pm

Yep, exactly what is intended.
Reminds me of the concord, less accidents, yet two problems and it was over.

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #17 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 11:17pm

My Qantas big bang birthday theory

I'm thinking along the lines of engine sabotage, and because it was Qantas's 90th birthday, their CEO is playing it down...despite claiming he has no idea at this stage what caused either of the Qantas jumbos engine failures.

I mean, come off it... 2 Qantas planes, same departure and destination points, same crew on board, both having endured engine failures, on Qantas's birthday.

They must think we are stupid!

A classic case of their placing their own brand and corporate interests before the safety of their passengers.

Cool

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/breaking-news-national/qantas-plays-down-sabota...

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #18 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 11:27pm

No Qantas planes should have left that airport until mechanical sabotage/terrorism had been ruled out.

At the time the second plane left Singapore, Qantas had not ruled out neither terrorism or sabotage... and to my knowledge, they still haven't.

I guess their birthday celebrations went off with a big bang afterall.

Cool

Happy 90th Birthday Qantas, and here's to another 90 years of inadequate terminal security and engines being serviced off-shore.

... Qantas's CEO  Alan Joyce is playing down sabotage speculation though admits he does not yet know what had caused either of the engine failures.

But lets continue calling it 'Engine failure' on account of the engines having clearly failed if you wish Alan, but just between you and me, I think there's just too many coincidences to play-down...this and think the public think so too.

It's as though their first attempt failed, so they gave it another shot.
Qantas's fifth aircraft malfunction since March 30 2010.

« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2010 at 11:40pm by mellie »  

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #19 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 11:54pm

Recall this?

Quote:
Chief Superintendent Atilano Morada, head of the police Aviation Security Group, said his officers, including explosives experts, may assist in the airline's investigation.

"So far, they don't want us to touch it, so we will respect the aircraft owner. But we will make our personnel available if they need assistance in the investigation," he said.

No one was injured in the incident, but passengers have spoken of their shock and horror at the “explosive depressurisation”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/24588...

Time they weren't given the option as to whether or not they want 'external' assistance concerning investigating their own planes.

These are peoples lives we are talking about, what should come first, the safety of the people or their brand?

Far time Qantas were forced to comply with external investigations.

Far time our government legislated this.

IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #20 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 11:58pm

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/a380-engine-explosion-qantas-boss-blasts-offshore-maintenance-claim-20101105-17gcu.html

"The fact is that these aircraft are ... new aircraft, the engines are new, the engine has been maintained by Rolls Royce, the manufacturer, since we have been given the engine."

So mellies terrorist/s work for Rolls Royce.
Mellies terrorists managed to sabotage the engine/s in quite a sophisticated way.
Luckily, not sophisticated enough to cause all 4 engines to fail within a time frame useful for the terrorist/s.

Whatever the cause, it has sadly called mellies doodle to attention.

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #21 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 12:27am

jame-e wrote on Nov 7th, 2010 at 11:58pm:
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/a380-engine-explosion-qantas-boss-blasts-offshore-maintenance-claim-20101105-17gcu.html

"The fact is that these aircraft are ... new aircraft, the engines are new, the engine has been maintained by Rolls Royce, the manufacturer, since we have been given the engine."

So mellies terrorist/s work for Rolls Royce.
Mellies terrorists managed to sabotage the engine/s in quite a sophisticated way.
Luckily, not sophisticated enough to cause all 4 engines to fail within a time frame useful for the terrorist/s.

Whatever the cause, it has sadly called mellies doodle to attention.

Sorry to hear your Qantas shares dropped 1 Billion.

Fact is, neither you or they can rule out terrorism, poor maintenance, sabotage or anything else at this stage, so really, best we wait and see what the outcome of another 'closed' Qantas investigation reveals this time... yes?

Pity it had to occur on Qantas's 90th birthday though, eh?

Cool Party hat anyone?

What if your relatives were on that plane, this or were due to depart from the same terminal tomorrow morning, would you be comfortable knowing they still have yet to finalise enquiries in relation to recent said 'engine failures'?

Hmm?

I don't know about you, but i'd like to know exactly why the engines failed...  

Or is it the fact that they obviously 'did' good enough for you?

Act of god even?

Bad luck?

Freak 'incident?

Will this be the outcome of their not-so-formal 'closed' investigations?

... It's very rare, that even lightening should strike the same place twice....

Cool
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2010 at 1:35am by mellie »  

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #22 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 4:03am

It appears as though there are other Qantas owned aircraft which have experienced similar to the more recent 'bangs' though on this occasion, safety authorities didn't take the liberty of investigating the matter at all. Hmmm

Decision over midair 'explosion' angers passenger

Quote:
A passenger on a trans-Tasman flight is angry a midair engine incident will not be investigated by safety authorities.

Amanda Tothill, 30, of Dunedin, was on Jetstar Flight JQ150, from Christchurch, with her sister and mother when the Airbus A320 was shaken by an "explosion" on October 19.

"It was like an explosion and it just rattled the whole of the plane," Tothill said.

The incident happened about 45 minutes from Sydney.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has decided not to investigate.

On Thursday, an Airbus A380 operated by Jetstar owner Qantas had to make an emergency landing in Singapore after one of its four engines exploded.

Tothill said the incident "sounded very similar" to what she had experienced.

After the initial noise another passenger saw flames coming from the right-hand engine, she said.

"I had a look myself and by that stage there was just smoke."

The Jetstar pilot told passengers the plane was capable of flying and landing on one engine and there was nothing to worry about, she said. The crew also tried to calm passengers, although Tothill said she believed the stress affected them, too.

"One was very upset and I saw her wiping away tears and the others were trying to sort her out."

Tothill said the plane came in to land at high speed and passengers were "thrown around" in their seats.

She praised the pilot for landing safely, but said there was never an explanation for what happened and why the landing was so rough.

The bureau said it had funding for a limited number of investigations each year and gave priority to incidents that pointed to "systemic issues" with the potential to "result in catastrophic accidents".

"Being on there with my sister and mum and having two children to come home to, I am extremely angry they don't have to answer to anyone and give us an explanation," Tothill said.

A Jetstar spokesman said it was carrying out an internal investigation and the aircraft returned to service "some time ago".

"Jetstar is continuing to work with the manufacturer of the state-of-the-art engines used in our A320 fleet with respect to our investigation of this event."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/4318085/Decision-over-midair-explosion-ang...

These A3**'s have a history of being problematic, a friend of mine is a pilot (used to work for Qantas ironically, flying broken planes back from overseas, (what a job *cringe* great money though)... not too broken, but planes in need of a service, or had minor problems, (not for passenger use)..and he refers to airbusses in general as being large computers flying themselves in the sky.

Also, another three planes have been found to have engine problems.
Looks like Qantas aren't going anywhere for a while.
An 'external' investigation into Qantas and it's Jetstar fleet required.
This is just ridiculous. Angry
http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Business/2010/11/08/Qantas_finds_problems_with_m...

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #23 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 4:27am

Qantas finds problems with more engines

08 Nov 2010 - 04:29am
Qantas has found issues with three more Rolls-Royce jet engines on its grounded Airbus A380 fleet, dashing the likelihood of their early return to service.

Two engines -- on aircraft in Sydney and Los Angeles -- have been taken off for closer inspection as a result of the eight-hour tests Rolls-Royce recommended, Fairfax newspapers say.

It now seems increasingly unlikely that the grounding of the fleet will be limited to the 48 hours outlined by chief executive Alan Joyce on Friday, Fairfax says.

Thousands of people will experience delays as the airline shuffles its fleet to cover the grounded A380s, spokesman Simon Rushton said.

The airline has one A380 in Singapore under investigation, one in Germany for servicing, one in Sydney and three in Los Angeles undergoing checks after the midair engine explosion on QF32 on Thursday.

Qantas will not say what the nature of the issues is, or whether the three engines are being examined for the same matters.

'It's things that might apply to different components. I can't be more specific than that,' Mr Rushton said.

He said reports that the inspection of the Sydney plane's engines centred on the intermediate-pressure turbine bearings were incorrect.

The engine explosion on QF32 from Singapore to Sydney on Thursday, the overheated engine on QF6 on Friday from Singapore and the cockpit warning of a hydraulic problem on QF29 from Hong Kong to London on the same day has overshadowed what should have been a weekend of celebration for Qantas's 90th anniversary.

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Business/2010/11/08/Qantas_finds_problems_with_m...

Now that more and more incidents are creeping out of the woodwork, perhaps there's just nothing more to this than Qantas being downright shabby and incompetent.

I never thought we'd live to see our iconic airline regress to that of a developing 3rd world countries flying cattle truck.

... And they may keep their frequent 'fire' points too!

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #24 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 4:37am

Anyway, for up-to-date information on Qantas,

http://interceder.net/list/Qantas

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #25 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 6:20am

The more I think about it, it could be a bit of both.

Perhaps off-shore terminal staff are tired of competing with our airline, this and being paid peanuts and working long hours.

Either our airline has gone to the pack due to greed, the deregulation of  prior quality control measures, that once kept our planes in the sky, or there's something 'funny' going on.

I know airport security have been disgruntled for a while now, this and have been venting their concerns to no avail.

Roll Eyes.. Who knows...but it does seem odd that this escaped our medias attention.

Quote:
A passenger on a trans-Tasman flight is angry a midair engine incident will not be investigated by safety authorities.

Amanda Tothill, 30, of Dunedin, was on Jetstar Flight JQ150, from Christchurch, with her sister and mother when the Airbus A320 was shaken by an "explosion" on October 19.

"It was like an explosion and it just rattled the whole of the plane," Tothill said.

The incident happened about 45 minutes from Sydney.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has decided not to investigate.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/4318085/Decision-over-midair-explosion-ang...

IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #26 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 6:46pm

mellie wrote on Nov 8th, 2010 at 12:27am:
Fact is, neither you or they can rule out terrorism, poor maintenance, sabotage or anything else at this stage, so really, best we wait and see what the outcome of another 'closed' Qantas investigation reveals this time... yes?

No. I say allude, speculate and sensationalise every fruitloop idea we can. The fear is soothing.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print