Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bank Staff Spat On And Threatened With Violence. (Read 2763 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Bank Staff Spat On And Threatened With Violence.
Nov 6th, 2010 at 5:44pm

COMMONWEALTH Bank chief Sir Ralph Norris has pleaded with customers not to vent their rage on branch staff following the bank's decision to jack up mortgage rates.

He said staff had been spat on, verbally abused and threatened with violence after the bank moved to lift its standard variable mortgage rate by 0.45 percentage points.

"I find it somewhat despicable that people would treat people so badly," he said.

"If people want to abuse me, or send aggressive letters or make aggressive phone calls, do it to me. Don't do it to people who have not played a part in the decision."

The appeal came as Sir Ralph signalled in a staff memo -   the bank might have been forced to axe jobs if it didn't lift borrowing rates.

"The alternative to making these changes would mean that we would have to seriously look at other options to reduce costs, such as curtailing services," it said.

The memo warns that even after the rate hike, the bank's profit margins "are still lower than they were going into the (global financial) crisis".

The Commonwealth Bank, Australia's biggest mortgage lender, sent shockwaves through the mortgage belt when it announced a 0.45 per cent rate rise on Melbourne Cup Day - just minutes after the Reserve Bank put up official rates by just 0.25.

The Commonwealth hike will add $1050 in annual repayments to a $300,000 loan.

Returning yesterday from a five-day business trip through Asia, Sir Ralph launched a charm offensive in a bid to repair the Commonwealth Bank's battered brand.

He dismissed speculation he had been out of the country to avoid the spotlight, saying he flew out on Sunday for back-to-back meetings booked months in advance with business and political leaders in Hong Kong and China.

Sir Ralph defended the rate rise, saying that seven in every 10 home loan customers would not be affected and special assistance programs were available to those suffering mortgage stress.

The cost of the funds borrowed by the bank to lend to consumers were continuing to rise, he explained.

"And it's fair to say that we are still absorbing more of the cost than we've been able to recover," he said.

Despite the bank's record annual cash profit of $6 billion, its profit margin was small when its stockbroking and wealth management divisions were stripped out.

Sir Ralph also defended his $16 million pay package, saying that it was based on a string of long-term hurdles and "the odds are that I won't get those numbers".

He acknowledged he was paid a "significant amount of money", but said: "I don't determine my pay. I'm asked to do a job. I'm rewarded based on market metrics."

Comments on this story

Fred Bloggs of Castlemaine Posted at 7:59 PM November 05, 2010

He's financially secure ($16M) but morally bankrupt

Jimbob of Adelaide Posted at 7:59 PM November 05, 2010

It was greed that killed the goose that laid the golden egg. And the banks are in danger of doing it to the consumer.

Credit Union for me of Waverly Posted at 7:57 PM November 05, 2010

So the Australian people who helped you and the others of the banking sector out of the Finnacial crisis still have to pay whilst all four of the big four banks make multi billion dollar profits. How about you repay the Australian people who enabled you to achive your record results which went some way to enable you to get your $16million dollar salary. As for not taking your decision out on frontline staff please post your contact details so that the Australian public can get in contact with you to let you know just how they feel

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Re: Bank Staff Spat On And Threatened With Violence.
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:01pm

Bullcrap!
Let em have it.

I just do what I have to do and give them a cold fake smile with shallow pleasantries. Some think its sincere and that I want to own a credit card but I say "No thanks" with a smile and a gleam in my eye, before they even finish, just to let them know who they really are by who they really work for.

Scumbags the lot of em.
I used to work in the Westpac Data Centre in King & George Sts
and I soon learnt about their attitude to Customers = rip em off!!!
I quit and refused to repay my loan for some time until forced by the courts.

Angry More people should be spitting on them ...maybe even 'mugging' the Staff back.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:12pm

Its pretty low to abuse bank staff or the staff of any business for that matter.
I suppose its just a symptom of just how cowardly and  "un-Australian" some people in this country has become.

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:27pm

The banks create money from thin air and the Government gives them a license to do it and then lend it to suckers as though it represents depositors money. All they need is some punters signature on one of their fake money loans and they get a house to keep if you can't pay back the loan Wink It's money for old rope. Here's how it works !!

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:27pm

adelcrow wrote on Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:12pm:
Its pretty low to abuse bank staff or the staff of any business for that matter.
I suppose its just a symptom of just how cowardly and  "un-Australian" some people in this country has become.

Sorry Mr Australian, people are silly. They mistakenly believe that bank staff have something to do with the banks operation.
Most un-Australians don't have the power to see the paradox.

IP Logged

Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:26pm

agreed adelcrow.
Spitting on someone is a disgusting act by disgusting people.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:39pm

...for disgusting Companies.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #7 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:46pm

Deborahmac09 wrote on Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:26pm:
agreed adelcrow.

Yup, lets focus on the spitting and forget the issue altogether.

Punk'd often?

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #8 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:47pm

If I was the CEO of any of these banks I would be making sure the names and accounts of the abusive people were recorded and as soon as it was legal to do so I would call in the loans of all the culprits.
Just as, if anyone abused any of our staff I would cancel their business, fortunately we only deal with professional people that when they have issues they deal with our managers.
Are some people so brain dead these days that they rushed out and got huge loans they could only afford if the loans stayed at emergency interest rates for 30 yrs?

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:54pm

This is what happens when the opposition leader starts insisting that something can, and must, be done about the banks, other than the customers choosing a different bank. If you keep up the propaganda, eventually the loonies will start to believe you. A bit of common sense (from everyone, but especially those running for office) would go a long way.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #10 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 7:03pm

adelcrow wrote on Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:47pm:
If I was the CEO of any of these banks I would be making sure the names and accounts of the abusive people were recorded and as soon as it was legal to do so I would call in the loans of all the culprits.
Just as, if anyone abused any of our staff I would cancel their business, fortunately we only deal with professional people that when they have issues they deal with our managers.
Are some people so brain dead these days that they rushed out and got huge loans they could only afford if the loans stayed at emergency interest rates for 30 yrs?

Yeah, stupid plebs. I'm glad there are un-un-Australians like you keeping us all in line.

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #11 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 7:08pm

Quote:
They mistakenly believe that bank staff have something to do with the banks operation

But branch staff don't have any influence on that bank's policies or decisions. They do what they're told unless they want to find themselves looking for another job.

So yes, the morons who abuse branch staff are mistaken.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2010 at 7:14pm by Life_goes_on »  

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 7:09pm

jame-e wrote on Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:46pm:
Deborahmac09 wrote on Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:26pm:
agreed adelcrow.

Yup, lets focus on the spitting and forget the issue altogether.

Punk'd often?

I don't need to mention that, you guys covered that, but you went overboard.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #13 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 7:18pm

Quote:
"I find it somewhat despicable that people would treat people so badly," he said.

Now if that ain't the pot calling the kettle black..

Quote:
"If people want to abuse me, or send aggressive letters or make aggressive phone calls, do it to me. Don't do it to people who have not played a part in the decision."

I could make a day of that. How about a public humiliation?
Spitting ain't my thing, but a few rotten tomatoes wouldn't go astray.

I noticed that his Sydney harbour residence had been disclosed by a television network. It won't take long before he's forced to move.

IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #14 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 7:21pm

Life_goes_on wrote on Nov 6th, 2010 at 7:08pm:
Quote:
They mistakenly believe that bank staff have something to do with the banks operation

But branch staff don't have any influence on that bank's policies or decisions. They do what they're told unless they want to find themselves looking for another job.

Yes i understand this. Just to clear up, i don't condone spitting or any violence in practice (or atleast i try not to).

But we all have choices.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print