Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
FINALLY SOME COMMONSENCE (Read 2850 times)
buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Re: FINALLY SOME COMMONSENCE
Reply #30 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:09pm

News of UK detainee payout buoys Habib
By David Mark
Posted 1 hour 41 minutes ago

The lawyer for former Guantanamo Bay detainee Mamdouh Habib says his client will be buoyed by reports the UK government is preparing to make a payout to former prisoners.

Several British media organisations including the BBC say the UK will soon announce millions of dollars in out-of-court settlements to the British nationals, who took civil action against their government.

Around a dozen former Guantanamo detainees accused the UK government of being complicit in their unlawful imprisonment and torture while in captivity.

The UK government says the payouts are aimed at preventing the release of sensitive security information.

Sydney resident Mr Habib is suing the Australian Government in the Federal Court in a case that has some similarities to those in Britain.

"He was arrested by the Pakistani police in Pakistan in about September '01 ... and on the same bus were two German nationals. All of them were of Arabic or Egyptian origin," Mr Habib's lawyer, Clive Evatt, said.

"The German government, when the two German nationals were arrested and taken into custody, just put a bit of pressure on the Pakistani government and they were released.

"But Mr Habib was kept by the Pakistani police, tortured. The Australian Government did nothing for him"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/11/16/3068199.htm

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:23pm

Considering the US still considers him a risk, the Australian government is within their rights to reject the passport.

A passport is a priviledge, not a right.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #32 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 10:19pm

Verge wrote on Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:23pm:
Considering the US still considers him a risk ...

I wouldn't take too much on board from US standards of judgement in these matters ...

Mandela taken off US terror list
Tuesday, 1 July 2008

US President George W Bush has signed a bill removing Nelson Mandela and South African leaders from the US terror watch list, officials say.

Mr Mandela and ANC party members will now be able to visit the US without a waiver from the secretary of state.

A US senator said the new legislation was a step towards removing the "shame of dishonouring this great leader".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7484517.stm

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print