Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fines Send A Clear Message To Restauruants/Cafes. (Read 765 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Fines Send A Clear Message To Restauruants/Cafes.
Nov 5th, 2010 at 6:40am

Eateries fined for pricing offences

THE nation's consumer watchdog hopes the hefty $13,200 fines imposed on two New South Wales restaurateurs yesterday sends a clear message to the restaurant and cafe industry in Australia: stop flouting anti-surcharge laws.

More than a year after public holiday and weekend surcharges were banned, a plethora of eateries are still breaking the law by failing to tell customers the full price they would pay on a Sunday or a public holiday, relying instead on a qualification indicating the application of a percentage surcharge.

The old practice of charging about 10 per cent extra on public holidays and weekends was banned in May last year through an amendment to the Trade Practices Act. Eateries are now required to include such surcharges in the price.

To comply, many eateries are producing a separate weekend menu to cover the higher costs on weekends or public holidays.

John Hart of Restaurant and Catering Victoria supports a reversal of the anti-surcharge laws for cafes and restaurants.

''At the same time we are being forced to pay penalty rates on the weekend, they come out and make surcharging difficult,'' he said.

Mr Hart pointed to a recent report by the Productivity Commission, which has called for the rules to be reversed for eateries because of the extra costs and complexities for small businesses.

But Australian Competition and Consumer Commission boss Graeme Samuel said despite the Productivity Commission's recommendation it is still a law and he warned restaurateurs that those who flouted it would be hit with hefty fines.

The Federal Court ordered two restaurants, Georges Bar and Grill and Steersons Steakhouse, both in NSW, to pay a penalty of $13,200 each for breaching the pricing laws. It was the first time a court has ordered civil penalties.

Earlier this year, the ACCC surveyed a number of eateries and found a number of menus did not comply. Restaurants that failed to change their menus after a warning were given $6600 infringement notices.

Instead of having a separate menu for weekends and public holidays, restaurateur Matteo Pignatelli kept one menu and has scrapped surcharges altogether. ''I have built the surcharges into the standard menu,'' he said. ''When someone dines here on a Monday, then comes on the weekend with their families, they can see it's the same price.

Mr Pignatelli said it had been a difficult change for restaurants that run on lean margins and have heavy Sunday and public holiday trade.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re:  Fines Send A Clear Message To Restauruants/Cafes.
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 6:45am

These fines send a clear message to restaurants and cafes.  Do the workers want to keep their weekend, and public holiday penalty rate money?.  You bet they do.

IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 8:40am

Public holiday and weekend surcharges were banned? Why does the government keep interfering with businesses like this?

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 9:18am

This is a good example of Workers being superior to Consumers here in Australia
...unlike Namerica where the Worker has to bust his arse for tips on a low wage and the Consumer can reach 'Celebrity' status and recieve a 'free' wine or something the moment they walk through the door.

But in this example - the Business loses as well. Have to pay the 'Worker' high Holiday rates (getting paid for a Holiday Huh)
but can't reclaim through the Consumer.

Tough running a business in Australia and being a Consumer in a country that has some of the highest Consumer prices in the world and usually imports that are 'hand-me-down' versions.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 2:01pm

Yes they can Jas, as one of the owners in the story has.

You put your new rate between the normal rate and the weekend rate, and there you have it. One flat rate.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 7:14pm

Quote:
These fines send a clear message to restaurants and cafes.  Do the workers want to keep their weekend, and public holiday penalty rate money?.  You bet they do.    

You are quite possibly the dumbest troll I have ever seen.

The surcharges relate to charging more to customers on weekends and public holidays, and has nothing to do with penality rates for employee wages.

You cant even have a relevant post in your own smacking thread.  Just goes to show you are a troll.

And what a crock of poo this is.  Fine someone for not posting the right priced menu, but you let off fuel companies for price collusion and dont even look at the banks for introducing new fees.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 10:37pm

"The old practice of charging about 10 per cent extra on public holidays and weekends was banned in May last year through an amendment to the Trade Practices Act. Eateries are now required to include such surcharges in the price.

To comply, many eateries are producing a separate weekend menu to cover the higher costs on weekends or public holidays"i

So where's the problem - in having the the menu price matching the charged price ?

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 7:57pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Nov 5th, 2010 at 10:37pm:
"The old practice of charging about 10 per cent extra on public holidays and weekends was banned in May last year through an amendment to the Trade Practices Act. Eateries are now required to include such surcharges in the price.

To comply, many eateries are producing a separate weekend menu to cover the higher costs on weekends or public holidays"

So where's the problem - in having the the menu price matching the charged price ?

Considering we run three different dining styles in our venue, I didnt even know about this until I read this thread.

We havent applied the surcharge before, so its not a problem.

Its easy to point the finger, but it obviously wasnt that well known.  I emailed the article off to about a dozen others I know who run food and they didnt know either.

They should just build it into the price and make life easier for themselves.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #8 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 8:50pm

Most restaurateurs around here run two seperate menus, one price list for normal rate days and another for penalty rate prices.  Personally I'd sooner whack 10% on everything and save the agro.

Politicians and Nappies need to be changed often and for the same reason.

One trouble with political jokes is that they often get elected.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print