Send Topic Print
Guy Fawkes (Read 6468 times)
Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Guy Fawkes
Reply #30 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 12:54pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Nov 5th, 2010 at 12:41pm:
There was nothing better as a kid Jay than getting a Guy and setting fire to him on a bonfire.

It reminded us what this country is about!

Not in many countries can we get away with celebrating the attempt to take out a king and parliament =)

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #31 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 12:56pm

I thought we celebrate the success of their arrest and subsequent execution?

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #32 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 1:07pm

I sometimes wonder if there is a growth in violence these past 2 decades due to the crackdown upon 'risky' behaviour in a constructive sense?
I mean, when I was at Primary School - we had a painful game called "BUTT" which 1-2 tennis/rubber balls were thrown against a wall and you had to catch the ball cleanly upon the return (many people could play at once), but if you dropped the attempt or it hit you on a pass, then you had to run to the wall, touch and say "Butt" without being branded by a ball in the 5 metre zone ...anyway, a lot of 'bruises' could be had.
...in the end the Game was always 'banned', so our 'outlet' was fights instead (Shalvey ...in Mt Druitt sector).

I think Firecracker Night in much the same way.
Sure people get injured, but 97% don't and they have a great time.
We make rules based upon a 'victim minority' who tend to wage HUGE lawsuits.

I stacked a big lump of wood and brush in a pile from all the refuse around the paddocks at work Wink

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Jaykaye_09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 1:18pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Nov 5th, 2010 at 12:41pm:
There was nothing better as a kid Jay than getting a Guy and setting fire to him on a bonfire.

It reminded us what this country is about!

Even last year, it was pretty good fun - they had something organised at one of the parks near us (can't remember if it was Bishop's or Parson's Green) - then there was a huge thing at Battersea Park.

If I don't respond to a post directed toward me, it's probably because I've gone offline, not because I'm rude.&&&&Or maybe I don't like you. In which case, sod off. Ta.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #34 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 1:22pm

Quote:
I sometimes wonder if there is a growth in violence these past 2 decades due to the crackdown upon 'risky' behaviour in a constructive sense?

I don't wonder, I'm convinced of it.

But then, I don't have a degree in some phony arty-farty pseudo-discipline, so what would I know?

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #35 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 1:23pm

We did used to have a lot of fun on cracker night back in the good old days but I seem to remember that there were a few big fires and damage caused by crackers and that is why they were banned.
I can see why the CFS and the metro firefighters wanted cracker night banned...it was a lot of fun but "fair suck of the sav" the safety of our paid and volunteer firefighters should always come first.
What comes first, a little fun for a few kids or the safety of our brave firefighters and the protection of lives and property?
Smiley

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

codswal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 7:30pm

... wrote on Nov 5th, 2010 at 11:07am:
Ahhh the joys of amateur fireworks, how I miss them.

It's just not the same turning out with half a million other people to watch your tax dollars go up in smoke as you 'oooooh' and 'aaaaah' at the official fireworks displays.

I suppose it's for our own good...we australian adults can't be trusted to do anything with the potential for physical harm.  Thank the overlords for keeping us safe from ourselves!

its interesting really we have more kids drown ing in this country than ever die from fireworks., when are they going to fence off the ocean and the lakes and dams and ponds I wonder.we also have drownings in rivers and drains..we need something to be done about that.wait a minute.. cant exactly just make a law and ban all them can we??

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 7:56pm

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

tickfen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 8:04pm

Here this will help you understand buddy

Yeah, I know I'm right, so I guess you just have to learn to live with that!

IP Logged

tickfen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 8:09pm

Remember, remember the fifth of November

The gunpowder, treason and plot.

I know of no reason

why the gunpowder treason

should ever be forgot

IP Logged

tickfen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 8:14pm

But of course there's those who cant help themsleves......

check the freaks at the end!

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 5:42am

codswal wrote on Nov 5th, 2010 at 7:30pm:

It's just not the same turning out with half a million other people to watch your tax dollars go up in smoke as you 'oooooh' and 'aaaaah' at the official fireworks displays.

I suppose it's for our own good...we australian adults can't be trusted to do anything with the potential for physical harm.  Thank the overlords for keeping us safe from ourselves!

its interesting really we have more kids drown ing in this country than ever die from fireworks., when are they going to fence off the ocean and the lakes and dams and ponds I wonder.we also have drownings in rivers and drains..we need something to be done about that.wait a minute.. cant exactly just make a law and ban all them can we??

This is true, I make my kids wear floaties 24/7 for this very reason, and they`re between the ages of 37 & 22.  I think this should be compulsory.

IP Logged

tickfen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 5:59am

aussiefree2ride wrote on Nov 6th, 2010 at 5:42am:

This is true, I make my kids wear floaties 24/7 for this very reason, and they`re between the ages of 37 & 22.  I think this should be compulsory.

LOL

Must be big floaties to get around all the cotton wool and bubble wrap we keep wrapping our kids up in!
And the cotton wool would weigh them down when wet....no wonder there's so many drownings!

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:11am

tickfen wrote on Nov 6th, 2010 at 5:59am:
aussiefree2ride wrote on Nov 6th, 2010 at 5:42am:

This is true, I make my kids wear floaties 24/7 for this very reason, and they`re between the ages of 37 & 22.  I think this should be compulsory.

LOL

Must be big floaties to get around all the cotton wool and bubble wrap we keep wrapping our kids up in!
And the cotton wool would weigh them down when wet....no wonder there's so many drownings!

Grin Grin Grin the lefty wowsers still want to wrap the world in litigous red tape in a pathetic attempt to idiot proof the place, thereby preserving their own species. Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #44 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:15am

tickfen wrote on Nov 5th, 2010 at 12:02pm:
Maybe someone should explain to him that Guy Fawkes was a political anarchist and that this is the politics thread.

Where else do you put political comments.....hang on, dont answer that!!!

bwaaaahaaaa

He was part of a Catholic plot to overthrow the Protestant king James I.  Robert Catesby was the ring leader, but Guy Fawkes was the one found with the explosives.

The Catholics of the time would argue that those who supported the Church of England under Henry VIII and Elizabeth I were the  real anarchists.

James I reigned as king of Great Britain and Ireland in 1603 with the Union of the Crowns. He had been king of Scotland for the previous 35 years as James VI. In November 1605, the first English parliament of James I was about to sit.

So Guy Fawkes night was a kind of anti-Catholic demonstration. The holiday started as a kind of religious celebration from 1606 onwards as a celebration of the victory of Protestantism.

In 1673, there was a ritual burning of the "Whore of Babylon" which was dressed up with papal symbols to represent the pope, so  that tradition of burning "the pope" continued on to this day in Britain.

Guy Fawkes himself was sentenced to be hung drawn and quartered. He jumped from the scaffold to break his neck to spare himself from the planned torture of parts 2 and 3.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print