Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Woolies Workers Walk Out At Vic Warehouse. (Read 1737 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Woolies Workers Walk Out At Vic Warehouse.
Nov 2nd, 2010 at 5:46am

Woolies workers walk out at Vic warehouse

Hundreds of Woolworths workers have walked out of one of its largest distribution warehouses, but the grocery giant says there will be no impact on customers.

‘‘We’re using other distribution facilities to do the logistics and it’s working really well,’’ a company spokeswoman said. ‘‘There’s absolutely no impact on any deliveries.’’

The National Union of Workers (NUW) staged the walk-out at the Broadmeadows warehouse in Melbourne’s north on Friday afternoon.

No further talks with the company were scheduled and about 600 workers continued a protest against the latest wage offer, which the union said could cut pay for some workers by up to $324 each week.

Woolworths was offering a 3 per cent wage increase but only if some entitlements were cut back, including penalty rates, shift loading and other conditions, the union said.

‘‘The company is also trying to force workers to work later hours to the detriment of their families,’’ NUW organiser Belinda Jacobi said in a statement. ‘‘This is a fight for respect, fairness and job security.’’

Woolworths said workers at the Melbourne facility were currently paid the highest rates in the country and the union had ignored recommendations from Fair Work Australia to continue with negotiations.

The Broadmeadows distribution centre serviced about 200 Woolworths stores across Melbourne and surrounding areas.

The union said it regretted any inconvenience the indefinite action could have on shoppers.

Woolworths said it was disappointed about the industrial action but it remained open to negotiations.

The company was using temporary facilities as well as its warehouses in Sydney, Wodonga and Adelaide while the industrial action continued.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Woolies Workers Walk Out At Vic Warehouse.
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 6:39am

That would be Woolworths, the conglomerate that makes massive profits, but don't want to pay their workers the right wage. The CEO will still get his hideous bonus, one way or another, even if profits are down because of the gfc.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 7:00am

If they don't like it they can leave, but if there's no better job then they really should be grateful for what they're getting.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 8:16am

Hlysnan wrote on Nov 2nd, 2010 at 7:00am:
If they don't like it they can leave, but if there's no better job then they really should be grateful for what they're getting.

I agree, those ceo's expect too much, they should shut up and be happy with the $20million bonus.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 9:35am

We don`t seem to have any shortage of threads where under achievers can vent their inadequacies.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 10:32am

Care to tell us what penality rates are cut, and by how much.

After all the dishonesty displayed by unions of the last 4 years, please excuse me if I dont believe what they have to say.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 10:58am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Nov 2nd, 2010 at 8:16am:
Hlysnan wrote on Nov 2nd, 2010 at 7:00am:

I agree, those ceo's expect too much, they should shut up and be happy with the $20million bonus.

Not everyone can be a CEO you know. It's a risky job that requires early mornings, late nights, numerous responsibilities, decades of experience and a postgraduate degree. Even if it pays as much as it does, I would personally never want to have that sort of job.

IP Logged

bridonta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 12:13pm

if they are not happy with their pay outs .. then those oversea skilled workers would happy to replace them ..

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 9:48am

Woolworths members working at the Hume DC ended their week of strike action, and three months of EBA negotiations when an overwhelming majority of members, voted to accept the company's revised offer for a better agreement.  This campaign has shown us that when workers stand together and unite, they can win respect at work, Lead Organiser for the Hume site Belinda Jaccobi said.  Hundreds of members who had gathered at the Hume Racecourse cheered, when the results of the vote ballot were declared.  After a tough three months bargaining campaign, members were united in celebrating a fairer wage increase and guarantees and certainty around shift arrangements, which protects workers and their families.       (Well, looks like another UNION WIN, doesn't it?.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print