Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
'common sense' vs evidence (Read 27528 times)
gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Re: 'common sense' vs evidence
Reply #30 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 3:07pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Nov 6th, 2010 at 10:42am:
Yeah I do realise that Gizmo - I've just finished reading "Gum" which is all about Eucalypts and the people involved with them over the centuries.
...but so-called 'Clever Australia' can't even bother to live in Straw Bale Houses as a Fire Preventative measure, because it is deemed too "hippy" or "alternative". So do you think living in a constantly 'Fired' environment with the way things are is going to go?
Eucalypts are very 'intelligent' trees and are adaptable ...there will still be fires for them.

I wouldn't call my 'terra-forming' views absurd. They do well for the Nile Delta and a few other places around the world. We just have the potential to do it on a grander scale.
...noticed Abbott was out at the Murray-Darling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNmTLLmhxFQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXzuDxp1-v4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX1nLJ55hLA&feature=related

...what a waste. Roll Eyes

I really can't wait until Humanity is replaced.

I figured you were one of the 'humanity is a virus' types...

The sad fact is, almost all of the animals in your vids died out due, not to 'human' action, but to changes in their habitats...

The Thylacine, for example, was doomed the moment 'true'canines crossed the land bridge from Asia (or were introduced) some time between 4000 yrs ago and up to 12,000 years ago...

The Woolly Mammoth was doomed as soon as the ice sheets started to recede at the end of the last Glaciation....

Same as the Giant Ground Sloth etc etc...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #31 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 4:15pm

Just finishing the book "Someone else's daughter": The Life and Death of Anita Cobby.
In it the Judge says this:
"Wild animals are given to pack assaults and killings. However, they do so for the purpose of survival and not as a result of a degrading animal's passion."
and
"Not so these prisoners. They assaulted in a pack for the purpose to satisfy their lust and killed for the purpose of identification."

...I can only say that there is a major percentage of Humanity that carries out such a behaviour that is 'beneath' the character of Animals, upon Animals themselves.

To kill Whales for a fabricated excuse of 'scientific' is just such a level of behaviour.

I am no Greenie ...if I was, I would have a Gun and camoulflage and  working for the Military not Political Industry - thats for sure. Angry

...I rest my case.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:45pm

It seems you don't know animals very well then. Some whales are among the worst species when it comes to killing for fun.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #33 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 7:40pm

Don't pilot whales toy with their prey before they kill them?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 7:41pm

And Orcas.

But why let the facts get in the way of 'common sense'?

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #35 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 9:16pm

But pilot whales and Orca are both actually members of the dolphin family....

Not really whales.....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #36 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 11:49am

Again, you guys missed the point. Those species 'toy', as you say, for "edu-ma-cational" reasons if you have patience to watch the full YouTubes or speak to Ingrid Visser of the New Zealand Orca Association, especially when teaching their young to hunt and kill.

...I don't think there was anything for those 'scum' to learn about as they hacked Anita Cobby's throat to her spinal cord after repeated beatings and rape - besides the fact they were doing something less than an animal would do, that it was wrong and that they would be imprisoned for life ("never to be release").

Personally, I don't think 'Politics' has any "jurisdiction" over Whales in any case. So I don't think Gillard's "...diplomatic solution" is the solution (not that she has one). The Whales and practically all Species should be under the 'property' of the Conservationists more than anyone else.
...its like saying a Polititian telling people who to go about their Maths exam, better than what an Accountant can do, let alone a Mathematician.

No wonder this world is *F*'d and Whales suffer.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #37 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 12:52pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Nov 8th, 2010 at 11:49am:
Again, you guys missed the point. Those species 'toy', as you say, for "edu-ma-cational" reasons if you have patience to watch the full YouTubes or speak to Ingrid Visser of the New Zealand Orca Association, especially when teaching their young to hunt and kill.

...I don't think there was anything for those 'scum' to learn about as they hacked Anita Cobby's throat to her spinal cord after repeated beatings and rape - besides the fact they were doing something less than an animal would do, that it was wrong and that they would be imprisoned for life ("never to be release").

Personally, I don't think 'Politics' has any "jurisdiction" over Whales in any case. So I don't think Gillard's "...diplomatic solution" is the solution (not that she has one). The Whales and practically all Species should be under the 'property' of the Conservationists more than anyone else.
...its like saying a Polititian telling people who to go about their Maths exam, better than what an Accountant can do, let alone a Mathematician.

No wonder this world is *F*'d and Whales suffer.

I think they meant 'play with' as in the same way a cat toys with a mouse, you know??
And while the parents do 'toy' to teach young to hunt, they also do it when they have no young one with them....

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #38 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 7:51pm

Quote:

Dolphins have been known to drown the young of other dolphin species in the process of raping them.

So why all the value laden inster species comparisons? You appear to be edging towards a point that you are afraid to make.

Quote:
The Whales and practically all Species should be under the 'property' of the Conservationists more than anyone else.

So the greedy conservationists want to keep all the tasty animals for themselves? Shouldn't they get the tofu and we get the meat?

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #39 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 1:14am

Depends Freediver.
The Solomon Islanders were very fruit orientated, but when 200 chinese landed upon their islands uninvited ...only two young boys survived - because they were considered too 'scrawny'.

What are you afraid of? That the Conservationists keep the animals from those pitiful Cooking Shows that are all the rage for Australia's growing obesity? Probably yes. If you see the Chefs in China at the Worlds biggest Resturant in action - you would see the attraction of 'cruelty' that such offers.

This clip shows how I wouldn't wish this 'death' upon anyone, so why an animal? I work in a Hatchery - it always reminds me of what happened to the Jewish people, when the unwanted chickens are gassed and dumped in the slush bins ...they used to be macerated and even live a bit more ago.
Now I know Australia leads the world in 'dignifying' the death of produce animals and we are changing the methods of Halal, etc in the Middle-East.

Nothing is perfect, but progress is being made.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #40 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 7:36pm

So we should ban whaling because of the cruelties of factory farming?

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #41 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 8:33pm

We should ban a lot of things FreeDiver,
but we should also be telling the Conservationists (Environmentalists, etc) to 'provide' better alternatives rather than just say "stop" and "no".
We can't bring back the past, but we can't hold forth the future.

So I agree that Whaling needs to be stopped. But an 'alernative' method or any other efforts, need to be addressed.

eg: If I told the Commercial Fishermen around Wollongong to hold off Fishing around the Five Islands, I would say it was for 'their' gain just as much as that of the Aquatic Life. So it would be a 10 years of tough fishing for the Fleet then everything will improve then on due to the 'spillover' effect of the Five Islands No Take Zone.
...it would never happen though.

We have risen up from our caveman monkey beginnings and conquered the animal kingdom...the world.
But now we just don't know how to stop.

Personally, I may state all the above FreeDiver - but I give little hope for it all. I honestly think Humanity will ravage this world with but 5% of major life forms surviving, trees included. This is probably why I'm not a practicing or official Greenie, etc.
There is no hope.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #42 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 11:33pm

...as Yuval states: Most of the Mega Fauna was gone (extinct) when the First Nations People (Aboriginals, Clovis Indian, Ainu, Adaman Islanders, Tibetans ...and a few more extinct tribes) settled in.

They try to blame the Mega-Fauna extinction on climate change too.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print