Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
'common sense' vs evidence (Read 27647 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
'common sense' vs evidence
Oct 30th, 2010 at 9:22pm

Quote:
The Indians had wiped out 75% of Bison herds before white men even scraped the barrel

Can you back this up?

Which do you think is the greater crime - cutting the population by 75% or bringing it from 25% to the brink of extinction?

Quote:
You don't need to be a hippy (pot head) or a Feral  to know that without the intervention to stop whales, they would have been wiped out.

I have not claimed that the original moratorium was a bad idea. It was the right choice given the situation and the information at hand. But now we have to decide not based on the situation and information from decades ago, but based on what we currently know and what the current situation is.

Quote:
I still think they will be wiped out

Every single species?
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2010 at 8:15am by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Re: Why we should allow whaling
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 6:55am

Quote:
Quote:
The Indians had wiped out 75% of Bison herds before white men even scraped the barrel

Can you back this up?

Which do you think is the greater crime - cutting the population by 75% or bringing it from 25% to the brink of extinction?

I can back it up Smiley
But from which book I remember that from ... Undecided

I'm not against Whaling, but I think the reasons that the Nipponese give, let alone the methods aren't justified. Why won't they admit to just being 'overpopulated' and needing to exhaust resources because of that? Roll Eyes
...I think also that they hate being called Japanese (which probably sounds like being called a 'Nancy' in their own tongue) for want of Nipponese. Mind you, there is much 'mis-labled' people, places, species out there - like Australia Wink Grin

Don't worry. I might come across as a Conservative - but I'm just as against the 'laziness' of the Environmentalists/Conservationists in providing an 'alternative'.
Take Fishing.
You can't stop Fishing (unless the Fish run out) - people need to eat Fish, though I can blame 'overpopulationalised nations' a fair bit.
Which is possibly why there has been a number of 'stoppages' against Fishing?
So if you can't stop Fishing ...generally, what can be done to boost Fish stocks.
This is where purposely designed and researched Artificial Reefs come into it and this is what the E & C's  must get stuck into ...creating something that not only regenerates Fish stocks, but stimulates are more bountiful growth pattern more-so than was previously done - naturally. Just dumping ex-naval ships ain't the go, especially when they are dumped for Divers, more than fish.

So.
Stop the Whaling ...but the Nipponese can demand that the E & C's come up with a 'Proliferation Plan' as well. Wink
I think Whales are a different kettle of Fish to Fish themselves ...mammals don't breed as fast, especially at that size.
I would love to see a day (like the very old days when 'life' was indeed plentiful) when we can chow down on Whale meat, knowing that they aren't a "Threatened Species".

>>>Yesterday, if I was 5 minutes faster, I would have had a mother and calf Humpback 'breaching' on the surface above me down at the Gutter at Bass Point in Shellharbour.  Shocked Oh well, it was good watching them go past so close to shore. Smiley

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 9:45am

Quote:
Why won't they admit to just being 'overpopulated' and needing to exhaust resources because of that?

The Japanese are pretty well off and could easily buy all the food they need. The idea that the whaling is some kind of subsistence for them is absurd.

Quote:
I would love to see a day (like the very old days when 'life' was indeed plentiful) when we can chow down on Whale meat, knowing that they aren't a "Threatened Species".

That day is today. Ask the IUCN if you don't believe me. Even the IWC is drawing up plans for the resumption of commercial whaling in their scientific committee.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 10:18am

Quote:
Quote:

That day is today. Ask the IUCN if you don't believe me. Even the IWC is drawing up plans for the resumption of commercial whaling in their scientific committee.

I wonder though if these 'scientists' are basing their "resumption" on the statistic of Whale numbers being back to the amount 200-300 years ago before the mass slaughter on the seas.
I think Whale numbers haven't returned to the 100% that they once were.
I think the 'resumption' is based upon the fact that 'there is growth' (like der Roll Eyes) since 'protection' so thats more than enough to resume killing again.
I would have thought a 100 year protection for a 100% return rate would be justified for 'our' human actions.? Huh

...but there is something more sinister at hand. Wink
The fact that Species like Orca are being killed because they have become 'competitors' for dwindling fish stocks, tells me that Whales will be hunted again for various reasons beyond the 'numbers' excuse.

You and I know that Whales aren't killed for FOOD
They are killed for MONEY.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 12:02pm

Quote:
I think Whale numbers haven't returned to the 100% that they once were.

Sounds like you are shifting the goal posts here. Can you give me an example of any other wild harvest that required the return to virgin stock levels as a pre-requisite for harvest?

Quote:
I would have thought a 100 year protection for a 100% return rate would be justified for 'our' human actions.?

Is that 'scientific'? It's a bit rich for you to criticise the scientists for working with the info they actually have when you pull numbers like this out of your, errr, 'hat'.

Quote:
You and I know that Whales aren't killed for FOOD
They are killed for MONEY.

What is the difference? Does a pig farmer send his pigs to slaughter for food or money? Why apply a different standard to whales?

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 12:53pm

freediver wrote on Oct 30th, 2010 at 9:22pm:
Quote:

Can you back this up?

Sorry jasign...I'm with FD on this one.
The idea that the Native American Indians had wiped out 75% of the bison before Europeans arrived is rubbish......and proven wrong by the accounts of the American settlers themselves....

It's a silly as the suggestion that it was early man (the Clovis People), not the changes in the climate, that wiped out Woolly Mammoth.....

Don't get me wrong, I'm against the Japanese whaling too.....although possible for slighty different reasons to you.....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 11:42pm

Well I will have to concede upon the Namerindians (clovis too) hunting out a healthy 75% bison before the white boys turned up for the last 24% ...as I can't find the book from whence this stat was stated.

As for going against Scientists, well common sense does overide Science sometimes ...just like it did with the Grey Nurse Shark numbers along NSW. The apparent 'research' from Scientists was in the end proven 'pathetic', let alone for a bit of coinage. Spearos all along the coast proved that numbers were far greater than 'scientifically proven'.
So with that said - I've learn't that "Science" isn't the bees-knees of knowledge these days and sometimes its nothing more than 'guessing' upon  a gameshow "If the Price is Right".

...so where do these 'scientists' get off saying thats its ok to start Whaling again? I think there are enough nations whaling already.

----> but I think this is just another facet of a world that is structured around a nation that still thinks it exists on its own and has a bit too much 'freedom'  ...it will all inevitably come crashing down and take all that is 'chained' to it with it.

Thankfully Australia makes great 'Spanners' Wink

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 7:11am

It's a little off topic, but I feel I must...

"Bison once roamed from Canada to Mexico, grazing the great plains and frequenting the mountain areas of the North American continent. Their number being so great that the early explorers could not count them, describing them as "number-numberless," and "the country was one black robe" and the "plains were black and appeared as if in motion" with the herds of bison. The most commonly used estimate of their former numbers is approximately 60 million.

A strong relationship between the human and the bison has existed for thousand of years. Bison were the center of life for the Plains Tribes of Native Americans, providing them with food, shelter, clothing and spiritual inspiration. Legend tells "the Great Spirit brought the pipe to the people. She came as a young woman wearing a white buckskin dress and moccasins. After the Great Spirit presented the pipe to the people and explained the significance of that pipe, she left the teepee as a white bison calf."

The near extermination of the American Bison did not occur just in a few short violent years. The fur trade, which began in the 1600s, initially focused on beaver but then demanded that bison (buffalo) robes be shipped to Europe. By the early 1800s, trade in buffalo robes and buffalo tongues significantly increased and caused approximately 200,000 bison kills annually on the plains. The 1830s to 1860s were the four decades in which most of the slaughter of bison occurred. Wagon load after wagon load of robes, tongues and, occasionally, selected cuts of bison meat, moved east. Soon, collection and shipping of bison bones to eastern cities where they ground up for use as phosphorous fertilizer or bone char became common. The arrival of the railroads further exacerbated herd conditions for the bison and by the early 1880s there were only a few free-ranging bison.

In 1886, zoologist William T. Hornaday needed specimens of the plains bison for the National Museum in Washington, D.C. Knowing that the plains bison were now becoming quite scarce, he went west and collected in eight weeks time only 25 bison in a region (Montana) that had supported tens of thousands a few years earlier. His thorough search clearly demonstrated that the species was indeed in danger of imminent extinction. By 1893, the estimates were only slightly more than 300 bison left of the herds that conservatively numbered near 60 million animals."

http://www.americanwest.com/critters/buffindx.htm

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 10:47am

I agree with you there Gizmo. The 'Westerners' really did a number on the Bison in such a short period, but like 'other' indigenous, aboriginal or non-Western cultures, the Namerindian over thousssssssands of years 10,000 to 17,000 years would have made their mark just as effectively.
I don't really go for that 'spiritual' talk either, its just another form of "gobiddy-Gook. Its like Martin Bryant saying his prayers, giving a donation to the Church and carrying a cross around his neck an hour before his massacre to justify his actions. In other words - nonsense.

Many civilisations before the 'West' found its Undying Lands in Namerica - wiped out species, deforested lands and laid waste due to war. These last 200-300 years have just been the 'icing' on the cake really.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #9 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 3:12pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Nov 1st, 2010 at 10:47am:
I agree with you there Gizmo. The 'Westerners' really did a number on the Bison in such a short period, but like 'other' indigenous, aboriginal or non-Western cultures, the Namerindian over thousssssssands of years 10,000 to 17,000 years would have made their mark just as effectively.
I don't really go for that 'spiritual' talk either, its just another form of "gobiddy-Gook. Its like Martin Bryant saying his prayers, giving a donation to the Church and carrying a cross around his neck an hour before his massacre to justify his actions. In other words - nonsense.

Many civilisations before the 'West' found its Undying Lands in Namerica - wiped out species, deforested lands and laid waste due to war. These last 200-300 years have just been the 'icing' on the cake really.

Well if the Native Americans (and the primitive tribes before them) had 7000+ years to 'decimated' the bison, how come the numbers were so large when Europeans first settled???

A single bison (which can weigh up to an imperial ton, 2000 pounds, about 900 kilos) would be enough food to feed a tribe for about a week....depennding on the tribe size of course......

Going by those numbers, it'd be nearly impossible for the Indians (or the clovis people) to have even kept up with the bison birth rate, let alone wiped out 75% of the population...

Think about it, when the white man arrived, there were 3 times as many bison in America as there are PEOPLE currently in Australia.....

60 million bison...and they're herd animals, so it's about 3 to 1 female to male, so about 45 million females.....if even half of the cows have 1 calf a year that's still 22.5 million more per year....there is NO way that there'd be anywere near enough of the Plains Indians to kill more than 100,000 bison in a year....

Those figures are very rough.....but you get the general idea of the numbers....
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2010 at 3:18pm by gizmo_2655 »  

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 8:14pm

Quote:
I think there are enough nations whaling already.

Isn't it the number of whales harvested that matter, not many many nations the harvest is divided up amongst?

Quote:

You seem to agree that the white settlers were wrong in overharvesting the Bison. Were the Native Americans also wrong?

Out of a herd of 60 million you can take a large number evey year without significantly reducing the population.

You seem to be assuming that because 'native' peoples had an impact on some charismatic macrovertebrates, the same must be true of all of them.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #11 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 12:49am

You say my estimates are 'rough'.
How on earth could they have 'estimated' 60 million ...MILLION, back then?
I'm banking on a severe exaggeration just like the old 'sea monster pictures'.

The Namerindians were 'mostly' nomadic compared to their Central and Southern brethren. A lot of tribes would just 'follow the Bison' like parasites. With the later introduction of Horses, the hunts just up'd the ante for more kills. Like I said, thousands of years.
...the Aboriginals just 'barbacued' the MegaFauna out of existence with 'Fire Farming'.
I just believe/think that the Namerindians were no 'Angels' in comparison to other Indigenous/Aboriginal/Indian peoples who committed much Environmental/Conservational damage as did modern races and cultures ...although over a longer period - but still a period of decline.

Name me one part of the world or time of the world, where the Environment and the Animals 'proliferated' via Human occupation ...and this doesn't include 'domestication' (slavery).

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 10:03pm

Quote:
The Namerindians were 'mostly' nomadic compared to their Central and Southern brethren. A lot of tribes would just 'follow the Bison' like parasites.

Nomadic does not mean they are not territorial.

Quote:
I just believe/think that the Namerindians were no 'Angels' in comparison to other Indigenous/Aboriginal/Indian peoples who committed much Environmental/Conservational damage as did modern races and cultures

Your belief seems to be getting in the way of the facts and your judgement.

Quote:
Name me one part of the world or time of the world, where the Environment and the Animals 'proliferated' via Human occupation ...and this doesn't include 'domestication' (slavery).

Rats are not domesticated, yet they proliferated under Humans, just like many kangaroo and possum species. Vague generalisations don't make you right about the Bison. You seem to have adopted a strategy of making your arguments so vague they become meaningless, and thus right because they are not wrong.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #13 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 12:17pm

Well I will have to concede with you on this issue Freediver as yes, it is coming across as vague in relation to cold hard facts from my own personal input here.

But Science sometimes falls short many times of plain Common Sense and that is how I sometimes play the game.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 7:29pm

So it is 'common sense' that the Indians wiped out a large chunk of the buffalo population?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print