Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: How much was your 'Winter' quarterly energy bill?

« Created by: Equitist on: Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:43am »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How much was your 'Winter' quarterly energy bill? (Read 3209 times)
Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
How much was your 'Winter' quarterly energy bill?
Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:32am

There has been a lot of media coverage in relation to the dramatic increases in electricity prices - and I am therefore wondering how much ordinary people are forking out for energy in their homes...

I have chosen the 'Winter' bill because that period is typically affected by heating costs and therefore that bill is likely to be the largest for most of us (as not everybody uses aircon over the Summer)...

I am about to add a poll...

BTW, I have chosen 'energy' bills because some people have gas appliances - so please indicate whether or not you pay for energy other than electricity (click on this if you have Solar too)...

I shall also include a response for people to indicate whether their household consumed above the 'typical' consumption of 7,000kWh pa (per NSW's IPART)...

« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:24am by Equitist »  

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Re: How much was your 'Winter' quarterly energy bill?
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:43am

Obviously, these questions relate to your household - please feel free to elaborate upon your responses...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:04am

My electricity will be read in early November. Last year that quarter was $224.85. It will be interesting to see how much higher it is. I don't use any heating. My summer bills are much higher because I use the a/c when I am just about to expire from extreme heat lol.

I stopped using as much electricity when they put the price up. I bet they're glad not everyone is like me.

Interesting poll thy.equitist

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:23am

FYI, according to the IPART NSW Fact Sheet, following are the annual 2009/10 electricity costs of a 'typical' NSW household (excluding GST and based on 7,000 kWh consumption): -

Energy Australia - $1,257 

Integral Energy - $1,258

Country Energy - $1,446 

So, including GST and rounded up, the 'typical' annual amount actually forked out for last financial year would be: -

Energy Australia - $1,383

Integral Energy - $1,384

Country Energy - $1,591

www.ipart.nsw.gov.au

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:28am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:04am:
My electricity will be read in early November. Last year that quarter was $224.85. It will be interesting to see how much higher it is. I don't use any heating. My summer bills are much higher because I use the a/c when I am just about to expire from extreme heat lol.

I stopped using as much electricity when they put the price up. I bet they're glad not everyone is like me.

Interesting poll thy.equitist

I'm impressed, Pansi - from memory, it's been at least a couple of years since our household bills were in that vicinity...

Ironically, we don't use aircon (just fans) but we do use some heating in winter...

IP Logged

vegitamite
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:31am

Interestly listening to calls made  To the ABC Radio this morning on the price rises of electricty , referring to NSW  electricity prices rising  could be due to the solar power feed in rate rebate scheme . And that has pushed UP the price of power.

This same scheme has just also been downsized.

'NSW's generous solar power rebate scheme has been downsized as power companies announced they would have to pass the cost of the feed-in tariff for solar panels on to consumers.'
~ABC online news

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:33am

The bills in WA are bimonthly, rather than quarterly, so it's a bit skewed.  Our winter bill was about $350 I think.
On the bill they have a graph comparing your current usage, the usage from the previous bill, and the usage from the same period last year.   My usage was down on the previous year, but still cost about $80 more.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:39am

Now for something really scary: in FY10 our total annual household telecommunications bills exceeded our annual electricity bills by close to 50%!

Oh, and we don't have pay TV - and have no intentions of taking it up...

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:42am

Quote:
Interestly listening to calls made  To the ABC Radio this morning on the price rises of electricty , referring to NSW  electricity prices rising  could be due to the solar power feed in rate rebate scheme . And that has pushed UP the price of power.

This same scheme has just also been downsized.

'NSW's generous solar power rebate scheme has been downsized as power companies announced they would have to pass the cost of the feed-in tariff for solar panels on to consumers.'
~ABC online news

The official reasons are contained in this report/fact sheet, which also does CPRS comparisions: -

http://www.ipart.nsw.gov.au/files/Fact%20Sheet%20-%20Regulated%20electricity%20r...

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 2:16pm

Hmmnnnn....the poll results are not yet statistically significant...

IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 5:56am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC8I3J-1GSM&feature=recentf

Fractional Banking and the Federal Reserve System Explained!

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 9:05am

Equitist wrote on Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:39am:
Now for something really scary: in FY10 our total annual household telecommunications bills exceeded our annual electricity bills by close to 50%!

Oh, and we don't have pay TV - and have no intentions of taking it up...

I had to do the sums after I read that.

My total electricity for 2009 was $930 and total telecommunications bill was $1200, that's for a landline, broadband and one mobile phone that doesn't get used much ( I let people ring me lol) no discounts, subsidies or rebates. It will be interesting to compare this years bills.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 11:10am

Don't use a dishwasher,
turn powerpoints off.
Sell Fishtank.
Don't watch too much TV and don't pay for PayTV.

Managed to keep our electricity bill way low - under $100.

Then we moved in with the In-Laws (save from Rent and help pay their HomeLoan) ...and the Electrical output is so wasteful.
But what can I do...in-laws remember. Roll Eyes

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Coral Sea

American Politics

Chicago
Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:41pm

I live in America and my electric bill is monthly.  I pay about $400 a month.

"General, these are American regulars. In a hundred and fifty years they have never been beaten. They will hold."&&-- Col. Preston Brown, C/S, 2nd Division, the Marne, June 1, 1918

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 5:48am

Coral Sea wrote on Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:41pm:
I live in America and my electric bill is monthly.  I pay about $400 a month.

Wow! coral sea, that's stiff. It also depends on the size of the family and the property though. I know people who used to run the pool filter for eight hours a day are cutting down to 3 or 4 hours. There's only so far you can cut back before life gets awkward. Maybe we need awkward and misery to learn the lesson about waste and sustainability??????

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print