Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Don't give preferences to the Greens, says Howard (Read 470 times)
mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Don't give preferences to the Greens, says Howard
Oct 28th, 2010 at 8:00am

The former prime minister, John Howard, has urged the Liberal Party to avoid doing preference deals with the Greens, even if it puts the Coalition at a tactical disadvantage.

Speaking at the National Press Club yesterday to promote his autobiography, Lazarus Rising, Mr Howard said ultimately the Coalition had nothing to gain by helping the Greens take seats from Labor. This was because the Greens would always support Labor and their agenda was more extreme.

''I think my side of politics has got to be very careful about giving preferences to the Greens. In my view the Greens are worse than Labor,'' Mr Howard said.

''The Greens are fundamentally anti free enterprise. They have terrible foreign policy attitudes and they have a lot of social policy attitudes that a lot of Labor people would find abhorrent.''

Liberal preferences for the Greens in the seat of Melbourne enabled Adam Bandt to snatch the seat from the ALP.

In his first press club appearance since the dying days of the election campaign in November 2007, Mr Howard conceded that as prime minister he had erred in abolishing the generous superannuation scheme for politicians.

He did so in February 2004 under populist pressure from the then Labor leader, Mark Latham.

Mr Latham, who has since retired, gloated recently that he lives off a comfortable parliamentary pension that he helped deny others.

Mr Howard said abolishing the super scheme was a mistake in policy terms but at the time was the right thing to do politically because of the pressure his government was under.

Mr Howard also defended the military justice scheme his government established and the military prosecutor, Brigadier Lyn McDade, whom his government appointed.

Brigadier McDade has been the subject of a vicious personal campaign by the radio broadcaster Alan Jones - who launched Mr Howard's book on Tuesday - and other conservative commentators since she decided to charge three reservist commandos after a botched raid in Afghanistan killed six civilians.

Mr Howard also disagreed with Nick Minchin who revealed this week that he opposed the war in Iraq and wished Mr Howard had tried harder to dissuade the Bush administration from invading Iraq.

Mr Howard said Senator Minchin never expressed any such view at the time and Mr Howard said he never tried to persuade the US against the invasion.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/dont-give-preferences-to-the-greens-says-howard-2...

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Don't give preferences to the Greens, says Howard
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 8:17am

So old Howard the has been is running the show. I suppose it stands to reason, Abbott needs all the help he can get.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:14am

Didn't Howard stand in front of the Tall Old Growth Forests of Tasmania and lick his (lickspittle) chops at the sight of all that MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY   
?

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:09am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Oct 28th, 2010 at 8:17am:
So old Howard the has been is running the show. I suppose it stands to reason, Abbott needs all the help he can get.

No reason involved there pansi.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:11am

A vote for the greens is a wasted vote, not possible to find a more useless bunch of clowns.

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:22am

aussiefree2ride wrote on Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:11am:
A vote for the greens is a wasted vote, not possible to find a more useless bunch of clowns.

I think both the Greens and the modern-ALP are equally dangerous these days.

They might as well declare themselves a coalition, given they think with the same brain... in between smoking joints.

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print