Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Peter Reith Urges Libs To Take Up I.R Baton. (Read 406 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Peter Reith Urges Libs To Take Up I.R Baton.
Oct 27th, 2010 at 8:04am

Peter Reith urges Libs to take up IR baton

PETER Reith, the architect of the Howard government's industrial relations reforms, has urged the Coalition to embrace a new reform agenda.

But his old ally, John Howard, has conceded that the abolition of the no-disadvantage test under the Work Choices reforms was a mistake that hurt his government.

In an interview with The Australian, Mr Reith urged Coalition MPs to continue to embrace reform, despite Tony Abbott's election pledge that Work Choices was "dead, buried and cremated", and that the Liberals would not alter Labor's laws, if elected, in their first term.

"The idea of no legislative change in the foreseeable future clearly does not line up with public expectations about having a really good system," Mr Reith said. "Australia's system has been degraded by, basically, the Labor Party coming in and giving the unions some of what they wanted.

"I don't think that is going to last, whatever people say. Forget about the politics, Australia has to have a modern industrial relations system. For Australia to be competitive we have to have a competitive labour system."

In his new autobiography, Lazarus Rising, Mr Howard confirms reports that the then-workplace relations minister Kevin Andrews raised concerns about the reforms in cabinet and that Mr Abbott also warned the changes were too complex. Mr Howard this week conceded the abolition of the fairness test was critical.

"The change allowed a strong fear campaign, although there were job creating benefits in that change," he said.

Mr Reith also rejected suggestions that Jeff Kennett was pressured to act outside the law -- during the waterfront dispute -- by Mr Howard.

"I don't think he is right to suggest that John, or anyone else, wanted him to go beyond the law," Mr Reith said.

"We certainly wanted the Victorians to do more than what they were prepared to do and there is no doubt that we were disappointed that they didn't do more.

"But, generally, I had good relations with Jeff and I'd want it to be very clear that Jeff also handed over industrial relations powers to the commonwealth, which was an historic move which led to better industrial relations practices for Victorians and around the country."

Mr Reith also took issue with Mr Kennett's description of Mr Howard as a good, but not a great prime minister. "John Howard was a great prime minister, . . . as good as they can be. Was he perfect? Not even he would say that."

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Peter Reith Urges Libs To Take Up I.R Baton.
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 8:08am

YOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNN

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 8:12am

The people of Australia are well aware of the liberal style of industrial relations, and they overwhelmingly rejected it at the 2007 election.  Although the Liberals say workchoices is dead and buried, it does seem they believe in it very much.  No matter though as the people of Australia, and the unions are awake to these things now.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 8:46am

Quote:
The people of Australia are well aware of the liberal style of industrial relations, and they overwhelmingly rejected it at the 2007 election.  Although the Liberals say workchoices is dead and buried, it does seem they believe in it very much.  No matter though as the people of Australia, and the unions are awake to these things now.  

One man is the liberal party?

What good have the unions done except screw the workers since the introduction of fairwork, something which you have ducked and dodged me on since this all began.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 7:08pm

Time for crook to give the baton a bit of a rest me thinks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print