Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sick Workers To Busy To See A Doctor. (Read 1480 times)
Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Sick Workers To Busy To See A Doctor.
Reply #15 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:46am

Sappho wrote on Oct 28th, 2010 at 3:37pm:
Verge wrote on Oct 28th, 2010 at 8:13am:
As for your 'holiday', we have had staff do that and its safe to say those staff are nolonger with us down the track.

The bottom line for both work and myself is that I was deemed medically unfit due to an elbow fracture resulting from a healthy disregard for OH&S in the work place.

My responsibility was to ensure I rested my arm in a sling for 4 weeks. So I did exactly what was required of me on holidays. Legally, it makes no difference if I am resting my arm at a resort or at home.

Quote:
The attitude of your doc is pretty disappointing to not atleast look to return you to work under modified duties.  Sick leave is not a holiday, and blant abuse of it make employers look much more closely at other areas of your work where you could we apply a similar attitude.

4 weeks on work cover for a fracture is pretty normal. There is no abuse in this case. Evidence was found, medical norms were followed. When I returned to the work place, it was to modified duties for the first two weeks. You are just dirty on me because I used my time resting in a couple of resorts... drinking pool side, reading pool side, mud baths, back rubs, beauty treatments, shopping etc... all activities that do not require my using my broken arm.

Quote:
Our best one was a bloke who was too sore with a back injury (workers compo) to even return on modified duties until a photo of him on a gold coast theme park ride showed up on facebook.

Oh, is it my back break that has you peeved. Well that wasn't work cover. That was a serious crush injury and I am lucky to still walk. I was in a torso brace for most of the 6 mths. I did not leave the house without assistance. I had work colleagues visit regularly for advice and gossip and to check up on me... break the boredom... because it was boring. When I returned, it was a serious graduated return to work with weekly visits from the rehab consultant work arranged.

Both breaks were legitimate. Work never questioned this. The Doctors never questioned this. Both breaks resulted in different kinds of recovery. The arm allowed for recovery whilst visiting a couple of resorts. The back allowed for home based recovery only with most of my time spent on my back pumped up with morphine.  

Quote:
Even though sick leave is a right, you also have responsibilities as well.

And I honoured my responsibilities. I did nothing to worsen my injury or lengthen my recovery in both cases. I did exactly what was required of me.

You are just pissed off that I could honour my responsibilities and holiday at a couple of resorts whilst I did so. Well poor you... I imagine you must be a harsh employer if you would challenge medical advice and work cover (workers compensation) approval of the case... especially given that both the doctor and work cover have it in mind to get the employee back to work sooner rather than latter.

Anyways... I think it was brilliant that I could take advantage of the time and holiday whilst my bones healed.  

I was making no reference to your back injury.  I was merely highlighting that if people are going to be making claims for workplace injuries, espically back ones, its not good to have photos pop up with you on theme park rides that specifically state you shouldnt ride with a back injury.

I just think its poor form to be lapping it up on holidays while the employer pays for it.

As for your comment on OH&S, everyone in the workplace has a responsibility for it.  If there was a problem you should have spoken up.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print