Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sick Workers To Busy To See A Doctor. (Read 1488 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Sick Workers To Busy To See A Doctor.
Oct 27th, 2010 at 7:05am

THE drive to be productive is making office workers sick, says an Australia Institute study that found one in four people are too busy to seek an appointment with a doctor.

The findings, published to coincide with the think tank's second Go Home on Time Day, have prompted the Public Health Association to call for Australian workers to slow down to ward off obesity and depression as well as deal with more immediate illness.

The poll of 1360 people found 27 per cent were too busy to go to the doctor even though they needed to, and 44 per cent admitted to avoiding GP appointments in the past because of a lack of time.

Other findings showed the hours clocked up in the office were an impediment to healthy living. Almost half of respondents said work stopped them from exercising, while 35 per cent said it stopped them from eating healthy meals.

''We don't have time for either prevention or cure,'' said the Australia Institute's deputy director, Josh Fear.

Melanie Walker, the deputy chief executive of the Public Health Association, said the results were worrying: ''If these things are happening, it has an impact on people's long-term health and their ability to prevent the onset of serious illness.''

Chronic overwork had become a creeping problem in Australia, and most people were unaware we clocked up some of the longest weekly working hours internationally, she said.

''We do the hard yards compared to a lot of other countries … In France there are people rioting in the streets at the idea they have to work over the age of 60,'' she said.

Mr Fear said that in Europe regulations prompted by health and safety concerns stop people from working more than an average 40 hours a week. Part of the problem of overwork in Australia was created by the workplace relations system, he said.

''A lot of Australians who work in blue collar industries get compensated for the overtime they do and it is specified in awards. But a lot of white collar workers in the typical office environment, doing the standard business work day, are the ones working unpaid overtime and it is unregulated,'' he said.

The poll found perceived time pressures and stress were greater for workers earning more than $80,000. However, Ms Walker said employers could do more to help the national health by encouraging workers to take sick leave to see a doctor.

''Employers have to create the opportunities for people to realistically take up the conditions that are embedded in legislation already,'' she said.

More than 200,000 people took part in the first Go Home on Time Day last year. The website to register for this year's protest, to be held on November 24, opens today at www.gohomeontimeday.org.au.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Sick Workers To Busy To See A Doctor.
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 7:54am

It can't be good for you.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:19am

The whole 'sick day' system is a scam, and the medical fraternity is loving it.  In my workplace, and it';s been the same in all my previous jobs, is that if I need 2 consecutive days off, I need to get a doctors note. 

Now I ask you, if I simply have a cold, why should I pay $65 for a consultation, where the doctor will give me the expert advice to rest and drink plenty of fluids.  *gasp!* Whoa doc, I didn't know that myself, thank you for sharing your wisdom!  That's worth $65 and more!!!  So in effect, I have to wait half my day, sitting with other sick people, for the dcotor to finally arrive, without paying any regard to appointment times, pay $65, all to get a day or 2 off work, when I'm obviously suffering from a contagious, but not serious condition.

About 6 weeks ago I broke my wrist.  Would have been nice to get it set, but look at the hoops you have to jump through.....

1. see doctor for referral to X ray
2. get X ray
3. take X ray back to doctor.
4. Go get plastered.

Assuming they are the standard 40 minites late for each appopintment, only the unemployed have the time for this rigmarole.

Or...

wait 6 hours or more in emergency room.

I chose to rig up my own makeshift cast and avoid using that hand.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 11:55am

The 'I dont have time to workout' is garbage.  You need to take responsibility for your own health and fitness.  It always possible to find 1/2 an hour a day, 4 times a week.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2010 at 12:00pm by Verge »  

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 1:58pm

... wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:19am:
The whole 'sick day' system is a scam, and the medical fraternity is loving it.  In my workplace, and it';s been the same in all my previous jobs, is that if I need 2 consecutive days off, I need to get a doctors note.  

Now I ask you, if I simply have a cold, why should I pay $65 for a consultation, where the doctor will give me the expert advice to rest and drink plenty of fluids.  *gasp!* Whoa doc, I didn't know that myself, thank you for sharing your wisdom!  That's worth $65 and more!!!  So in effect, I have to wait half my day, sitting with other sick people, for the dcotor to finally arrive, without paying any regard to appointment times, pay $65, all to get a day or 2 off work, when I'm obviously suffering from a contagious, but not serious condition.

About 6 weeks ago I broke my wrist.  Would have been nice to get it set, but look at the hoops you have to jump through.....

2. get X ray
4. Go get plastered.

Assuming they are the standard 40 minites late for each appopintment, only the unemployed have the time for this rigmarole.

Or...

Wow... I'd forgotten how dumb blokey blokes are... I roll my eyes at you.  Roll Eyes

1. You are not paying that fee for medical advice, you are paying for the med cert.
2. If you don't want to pay, go to a bulk billing surgery.
3. Many bulk billing surgeries have a first in first served process, with allowances for triage should a serious case turn up.
4. If you go to such a place when they open, which in my case is 7am, there is not wait. You are seen immediately.

So, where you turn up to a private practice, pay top dollar and wait ages to be seen so as to get that med cert. I have no wait time, no fee and a med cert given by Dr Howlongdoyouwantoffwork.

To the broken wrist... your spin is the stuff of hero's... truly. I broke my elbow, booked to see my real doctor (Yes I have two... one that gives med certs for work and one I see for real issues), got in for that day, went straight to x-ray, a service provided by the surgery, got the message the next day to get a scan done, got the message the next day to attend my doctor's surgery, was advised that I had broken my elbow, that... oh alright... we won't put it in a caste, but that you must where this sling and take 4wks off work.

That was all fine and good by me, since I broke my arm at work. Four weeks off work and paid for what was such a minor break that I needed a scan to confirm it. Limited pain, no caste... so I went on holidays.

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 2:05pm

Quote:
1. You are not paying that fee for medical advice, you are paying for the med cert.
3. Many bulk billing surgeries have a first in first served process, with allowances for triage should a serious case turn up.
4. If you go to such a place when they open, which in my case is 7am, there is not wait. You are seen immediately.

1. Either way, I know I'm sick, I know what is required to get well, but it still costs $65 for advice your mother could give you.
2. Bulk billing surgeries are almost extinct.  None in my area at all.
3.  How urgent is a broken wrist?  Not very.
4.  Wrong.  I booked the first appointment of the day at 8am, and got in at 8:40.  Not only did they book 2 people for the same timeslot, the doctor didn't even walk in the door (with a bought cuppa coffee in his hand) until 20 past.

Since I didn't break it at work, and it didn't affect my ability to do my job, I didn't have the luxury you did.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 2:27pm

... wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 2:05pm:
1. Either way, I know I'm sick, I know what is required to get well, but it still costs $65 for advice your mother could give you.
For the second time, you are not going their for the advice, you are going their for the certificate. That certificate is evidence of your being sick. If you feel the need for advice, ask for a general check up at the same time.

2. Bulk billing surgeries are almost extinct.  None in my area at all.
So you have looked thoroughly have you?

3.  How urgent is a broken wrist?  Not very.
Depends on how serious it is. Depends on the pain and age of the patient too. Clearly, your's was not that serious.

4.  Wrong.  I booked the first appointment of the day at 8am, and got in at 8:40.  Not only did they book 2 people for the same timeslot, the doctor didn't even walk in the door (with a bought cuppa coffee in his hand) until 20 past.
And did you sound him out for his tardiness? Did you demand your full amount of time so that at least he didn't USE you to catch up the lost time? Did you do anything other than bitch here about it? If no, why not? If yes, why is that not a part of your blokey story?

Since I didn't break it at work, and it didn't affect my ability to do my job, I didn't have the luxury you did.
Well, my broken elbow didn't actually affect my abilities either, but when the doctor says you've got 4 weeks healing time, you bow your head and say meekly 'yes doctor' then go on holidays. Even if it wasn't a work place incident, I would have got my 4 weeks and used it to go on holidays. You sir, because of your hero approach to your injury, because of your lack of doing, because of your inclination to complain without seeking a remedy, missed out on your four weeks healing time. Cheesy

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 2:36pm

Sappho wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 2:27pm:
... wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 2:05pm:
For the second time, you are not going their for the advice, you are going their for the certificate. That certificate is evidence of your being sick. If you feel the need for advice, ask for a general check up at the same time.

2. Bulk billing surgeries are almost extinct.  None in my area at all.
So you have looked thoroughly have you?

3.  How urgent is a broken wrist?  Not very.
Depends on how serious it is. Depends on the pain and age of the patient too. Clearly, your's was not that serious.

4.  Wrong.  I booked the first appointment of the day at 8am, and got in at 8:40.  Not only did they book 2 people for the same timeslot, the doctor didn't even walk in the door (with a bought cuppa coffee in his hand) until 20 past.
And did you sound him out for his tardiness? Did you demand your full amount of time so that at least he didn't USE you to catch up the lost time? Did you do anything other than bitch here about it? If no, why not? If yes, why is that not a part of your blokey story?

Well, my broken elbow didn't actually affect my abilities either, but when the doctor says you've got 4 weeks healing time, you bow your head and say meekly 'yes doctor' then go on holidays. Even if it wasn't a work place incident, I would have got my 4 weeks and used it to go on holidays. You sir, because of your hero approach to your injury, because of your lack of doing, because of your inclination to complain without seeking a remedy, missed out on your four weeks healing time. Cheesy

1.  Still  - $65 for a day off work.  is this fair?  The boss could take 1 look at ya and see you've obviously got a cold, and will be contagious.  No need to gift the doctor another kickback.
2. Yes I have.
3. What can I say?  I was in good nick apart from pain in a wrist.  It's not that serious overall, and 6 weeks on, it's almost good as new. 
4. Do you think most workplaces would allow 4 weeks off for an injury sustained during leisure time, seeing as how it doesn't affect your ability to punch keys on your keyboard?  You're the exception, not the rule.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 2:47pm

Quote:
About 6 weeks ago I broke my wrist.  Would have been nice to get it set, but look at the hoops you have to jump through.....

2. get X ray
4. Go get plastered.

The same thing happened to me. Healthy wrists are essential if you're doing manual work and it might have mended the wrong way with a DIY. There are lots of little bones in the wrist that can get rearranged with a break.

You can always get a certificate from the hospital. It's going to cost you more in the long term if it hasn't repaired properly. 6 hours wait in emergency is nothing compared to a life time of arthritic pain.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 2:57pm

... wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 2:36pm:
1.  Still  - $65 for a day off work.  is this fair?  The boss could take 1 look at ya and see you've obviously got a cold, and will be contagious.  No need to gift the doctor another kickback.
Is that amount before or after your medicare rebate? As to your employer, they don't trust their workers and have seen many work with colds. They want evidence that you can't work.

2. Yes I have.
And how do you do this research?

3. What can I say?  I was in good nick apart from pain in a wrist.  It's not that serious overall, and 6 weeks on, it's almost good as new.
Bravo! Sounds like you only needed the 'make shift' splint to remind you not to move it then.  
4. Do you think most workplaces would allow 4 weeks off for an injury sustained during leisure time, seeing as how it doesn't affect your ability to punch keys on your keyboard?  You're the exception, not the rule.
4 weeks is the minimum for a bone break. You can expect your work to allow you that 4wks for a bone break.... and longer! Heck, when I broke my back I had 8 months off work and a solid 6 months graduating my return to work. And that wasn't on work cover. No hols either.... except those in the morphine day dreams. Never returned to full time work tho... and they had to cop that too.

Know your rights. Know your duties. Be bothered to honour both. That way, when get screwed over you have legal redress. You cannot dismiss a permanent employee because they have sustained an injury outside of the work place that requires an extended healing time. 

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 4:19pm

I guess this is why there is an increase in Casual empoyment.
Its amazing how much one wants to work when they don't get paid for sickies.
Mind you, I still see workers injure themselves outside of work and then rig it to have the Employer pay them Compo.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 5:07pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 4:19pm:
I guess this is why there is an increase in Casual empoyment.

That is a fair point. However, there are many employers who will hold open a position for a casual who has been injured outside the work place.
Quote:
Its amazing how much one wants to work when they don't get paid for sickies.
I seem to remember a time when casual workers were paid at a higher rate to account for the lack of leave entitlements. That's gone. Oh praise be to the Unions.
Quote:
Mind you, I still see workers injure themselves outside of work and then rig it to have the Employer pay them Compo.
Yes. I could never bring myself to do that... and God help the employee that is found to have done that.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 7:45pm

I have a rule with doctors.  If they don't do bulk billing, don't go to them.  Find one that does.  As for casual work, I have always found the casual employee earns more than the permanent employee.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 8:13am

Sappho wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 1:58pm:
... wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:19am:
The whole 'sick day' system is a scam, and the medical fraternity is loving it.  In my workplace, and it';s been the same in all my previous jobs, is that if I need 2 consecutive days off, I need to get a doctors note.  

Now I ask you, if I simply have a cold, why should I pay $65 for a consultation, where the doctor will give me the expert advice to rest and drink plenty of fluids.  *gasp!* Whoa doc, I didn't know that myself, thank you for sharing your wisdom!  That's worth $65 and more!!!  So in effect, I have to wait half my day, sitting with other sick people, for the dcotor to finally arrive, without paying any regard to appointment times, pay $65, all to get a day or 2 off work, when I'm obviously suffering from a contagious, but not serious condition.

2. get X ray
4. Go get plastered.

Or...

Wow... I'd forgotten how dumb blokey blokes are... I roll my eyes at you.  Roll Eyes

So, where you turn up to a private practice, pay top dollar and wait ages to be seen so as to get that med cert. I have no wait time, no fee and a med cert given by Dr Howlongdoyouwantoffwork.

To the broken wrist... your spin is the stuff of hero's... truly. I broke my elbow, booked to see my real doctor (Yes I have two... one that gives med certs for work and one I see for real issues), got in for that day, went straight to x-ray, a service provided by the surgery, got the message the next day to get a scan done, got the message the next day to attend my doctor's surgery, was advised that I had broken my elbow, that... oh alright... we won't put it in a caste, but that you must where this sling and take 4wks off work.

That was all fine and good by me, since I broke my arm at work. Four weeks off work and paid for what was such a minor break that I needed a scan to confirm it. Limited pain, no caste... so I went on holidays.

There is no bulk billers within 100kms of me, so the Docs have won, and at times you can wait up to three weeks for an appointment.  Thats why many of our staff either rock up to the emergency ward at the hospital or come into work and we take one look at them and send them home, hence no need for a certificate.

As for your 'holiday', we have had staff do that and its safe to say those staff are nolonger with us down the track.

The attitude of your doc is pretty disappointing to not atleast look to return you to work under modified duties.  Sick leave is not a holiday, and blant abuse of it make employers look much more closely at other areas of your work where you could we apply a similar attitude.

Our best one was a bloke who was too sore with a back injury (workers compo) to even return on modified duties until a photo of him on a gold coast theme park ride showed up on facebook.

Even though sick leave is a right, you also have responsibilities as well.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 3:37pm

Verge wrote on Oct 28th, 2010 at 8:13am:
As for your 'holiday', we have had staff do that and its safe to say those staff are nolonger with us down the track.

The bottom line for both work and myself is that I was deemed medically unfit due to an elbow fracture resulting from a healthy disregard for OH&S in the work place.

My responsibility was to ensure I rested my arm in a sling for 4 weeks. So I did exactly what was required of me on holidays. Legally, it makes no difference if I am resting my arm at a resort or at home.

Quote:
The attitude of your doc is pretty disappointing to not atleast look to return you to work under modified duties.  Sick leave is not a holiday, and blant abuse of it make employers look much more closely at other areas of your work where you could we apply a similar attitude.

4 weeks on work cover for a fracture is pretty normal. There is no abuse in this case. Evidence was found, medical norms were followed. When I returned to the work place, it was to modified duties for the first two weeks. You are just dirty on me because I used my time resting in a couple of resorts... drinking pool side, reading pool side, mud baths, back rubs, beauty treatments, shopping etc... all activities that do not require my using my broken arm.

Quote:
Our best one was a bloke who was too sore with a back injury (workers compo) to even return on modified duties until a photo of him on a gold coast theme park ride showed up on facebook.

Oh, is it my back break that has you peeved. Well that wasn't work cover. That was a serious crush injury and I am lucky to still walk. I was in a torso brace for most of the 6 mths. I did not leave the house without assistance. I had work colleagues visit regularly for advice and gossip and to check up on me... break the boredom... because it was boring. When I returned, it was a serious graduated return to work with weekly visits from the rehab consultant work arranged.

Both breaks were legitimate. Work never questioned this. The Doctors never questioned this. Both breaks resulted in different kinds of recovery. The arm allowed for recovery whilst visiting a couple of resorts. The back allowed for home based recovery only with most of my time spent on my back pumped up with morphine. 

Quote:
Even though sick leave is a right, you also have responsibilities as well.

And I honoured my responsibilities. I did nothing to worsen my injury or lengthen my recovery in both cases. I did exactly what was required of me.

You are just pissed off that I could honour my responsibilities and holiday at a couple of resorts whilst I did so. Well poor you... I imagine you must be a harsh employer if you would challenge medical advice and work cover (workers compensation) approval of the case... especially given that both the doctor and work cover have it in mind to get the employee back to work sooner rather than latter.

Anyways... I think it was brilliant that I could take advantage of the time and holiday whilst my bones healed. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print