Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Life Is Cheap In China And Cut Price In India. (Read 811 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Life Is Cheap In China And Cut Price In India.
Oct 24th, 2010 at 7:14am

AWU National Secretary Paul Howes' opinion piece.

Life is cheap in China. It's cut price in India. And in Saudi Arabia, it's practically given away in the name of higher profits.

But in NSW, we place a very high premium on worker's lives. And it's a premium we - rightly - pay dearly for.

The reason for this is simple. We have world standard, best practice Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) laws.

The amazing rescue of 33 Chilean miners, trapped for 68 days more than 700m underground shone a light on the importance of strong workplace safety standards.

But even though we have one of the world's best OHS systems, it may come as a surprise to learn that on average 12 to 14 Australian miners die every year at work. For union officials, workplace deaths and injuries are an all too common occurrence. Not a week goes by without a report coming across my desk of a major safety breach occurring at an Australian Workers' Union (AWU) worksite. Sadly and unacceptably, many of those breaches will result in injury or death.

Most of these incidents are never reported in the media. Most families whose loved ones don't come home from work mourn in private. dealing with their grief in their own way.

For 125 years the AWU, and the union movement, have fought to ensure that workers are protected by the best workplace safety laws in the world.

And in NSW, we are fortunate to have the strongest occupational health and safety laws in the nation.

That's why I was pleased to see Premier Kristina Keneally say last week that she will defend those laws tooth and nail, to ensure that NSW workers are not left worse off in the move to a harmonised national health and safety framework.

Unions support moving to a national health and safety system but have always believed that workplace safety laws should be strengthened not weakened.

Kristina Keneally agrees with that.

Many employers seeking to weaken health and safety standards have protested the Premier's position, even going so far as to take out newspaper advertisements and have claimed that they support health and safety standards but don't want to see the best practice laws that exist in NSW extended to the rest of the country.

It's an odd position. Employers who treat their workers fairly and ensure safe workplaces have nothing to fear from the NSW law, which protects strong safety standards, but employers who cut corners and put the lives of their employees at risk should be penalised.

The NSW Opposition Leader Barry O'Farrell, who rarely stands for anything, has backed big business's call to weaken safety standards in this State. He wants to remove the right of unions to prosecute in the courts employers who breach workplace safety standards. In effect he wants to protect dodgy bosses who are more interested in saving money than saving lives.

Mark Lennon, the Secretary of Unions NSW, was right when he said last week that union-initiated prosecutions have been used sparingly. But where they have been pursued, as in the banking industry or against James Hardie, they have led to decisions that have forced employers to make significant improvements. Likewise, the reverse onus of proof has focused employers on their responsibility to provide safe workplaces. The law has worked to put the interests of worker safety first."

This is a position that all decent people seeking to protect the health and safety of employees at work should agree with.

NSW should be proud of the stance Premier Keneally has taken. She has stood up to the big end of town and to her own party and made it clear that her Government will not stand by and wind back laws protecting the lives of working people.

And of course, alarmist calls by employer organisations about the sky falling in when new safety laws are introduced is nothing new. It's their standard operating procedure.

Back in 1926, when the Labor Government introduced Workers Compensation, businesses at the time claimed that the economy would collapse and that no one would be employed.

The same outrageous claims have been made every time safety laws have been strengthened, and every time the Liberal Party has sided with their big-end-of-town mates to try and water down safety provisions.

The people of NSW shouldn't be fooled. Kristina Keneally is standing up for the laws that already exist in this State. They are laws which have saved lives and made workplaces safer and haven't had any negative effect on the economy.

And while we should have the same standards across the country, if we as an advanced nation in the 21st century, believe that people should be able to go to work each day without the fear of losing their lives or their limbs, then we should aspire to the best possible OHS laws.

Because while life might be cheap to some foreign Governments, it's priceless in Australia, and nowhere more so than in NSW.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Re: Life Is Cheap In China And Cut Price In India.
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 9:15am

Actually, OH&S can be a bit overkill.
Many times they ban equipment, just to keep 'turnover' of products for Companies.
They never tackle the issues of Drug and Alcohol influences ...its always faulty equipment and something else.

If one Nurse has a 'bad' reaction to Gloves, they recalls $millions of dollars worth and forget all about the thousands of other Nurses that have a 'good' reaction.
The Swings/Slippery Dips/etc Parks are a good example of a 'few' circumstances spoiling it for many and hence why a lot of parks dissapeared ...its never about parental responsibilty and OH&S is more about 'Legal' ramifications more than it is about Health & Safety.
In New Zealand, if your kid falls off a swing and breaks an arm or your co-worker turns up to work somewhat distracted by the need to have a drug fix and breaks a leg ...they can't take a Lawsuit,etc - they just recieve 'Medical' attention.

Also I like that movie "Life is Cheap, but Toilet Paper is expensive"

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 9:46am

It`s true that the lack of safety proceedures in many other countries is wrong.  Workplace Health And Safety regulations in Australia though, have gone too far the other way, they are now part of the "penalty system" for anyone who shows initiative for the country.

We need to concentrate more on how we can compete on the global market, and less on tearing down tall poppies to satisy inferioty complexes, envy, laziness, and greed.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 9:55am

Nine threads on the front page alone, all of them press releases from the Unions.

Wow imcrook you need to spread your knowledge base a bit more one would think.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 10:01am

His
what
base?

Shocked

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 10:21am

I agree AussieFree2ride.
It is a penalty system that swings too far to the oppressive.
Sometimes 'nothing' is done in this country because of OH&S and like you said, there is no initiative.
I think Australia is too dangerous for OH&S itself sometimes.
Once again, another institution 'shackling' the future of this country.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 10:34am

Thanks Jas, it is pointless if we can`t earn a living eh?  Brutality is very hard to compete with, but we have to.

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 10:37am

Could we just give Crook his own forum please.

Name it the "Unions, whinging about large salaries and wages forum".

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 12:44pm

aikmann4 wrote on Oct 24th, 2010 at 10:37am:
Could we just give Crook his own forum please.

Name it the "Unions, whinging about large salaries and wages forum".

And a forum for tight fisted libbos winging about measly wage rises for the lowest income workers Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 12:52pm

How are you Nail?.  Don't  worry as I take no notice or very little notice of them.  In fact, they make me want to continue and keep posting even more.  Some of them are quite funny people, and I'm sure they could get a job in a circus, if they wanted.

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 12:59pm

I'd love to get a job in a circus but I'd rather just receive larger government benefits instead.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 1:04pm

Well maybe a circus job would be good for you.  In any case you could try.  I suggest you try a clown, it would probably suit you.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 2:24pm

Green is the colour of envy. Grin Grin and losers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print