Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Whatever Happened To The Pacific Brand Workers. (Read 1660 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Whatever Happened To The Pacific Brand Workers.
Oct 21st, 2010 at 11:34am

Jobless ghettos leave city divided

BROADMEADOWS has one of the highest unemployment rates in Australia after a surge in unemployment since the middle of 2009 due to lay-offs in local manufacturing and the closure of a Pacific Brands factory.

Despite an improving labour market elsewhere, the unemployment rate for the already disadvantaged area rose to 15.9 per cent in June up from 10.7 per cent a year earlier.

The quarterly figures released by the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations show that Broadmeadows has by far the highest unemployment rate in Victoria at nearly three times the state average of 5.5 per cent.

The big rise in joblessness in Broadmeadows comes despite a labour market that has falling or steady unemployment in many other parts of Melbourne. In some areas - including some bayside suburbs and Docklands - unemployment is below 3 per cent.

Broadmeadows has Premier John Brumby as its state member.

Local job service providers say the employment situation has not improved in the months since the figures were compiled.

WISE Employment's business manager for Broadmeadows, Kerry Jones, said her office had noticed an increase in client numbers in the past year and said most had a background in manufacturing and warehouses or were unskilled workers.

Ms Jones said key industries around Broadmeadows had shut down in the past year, including Pacific Brands, which closed a nearby factory in Coolaroo as part of a controversial move to shut seven factories in Australia.

Textile, Clothing and Footwear Union of Australia national secretary Michele O'Neil said that despite retraining programs it had been hard for many former Pacific Brands workers to get full-time work.

''Nearly all of the work that workers have found is short-term, casual or insecure work,'' Ms O'Neil said.

She said the workers were highly skilled in the textile industry but too many employers did not see those skills as useful in other jobs.

Ms Jones said it was hard to find work for many people laid off in the area.

''It is because there's not as many unskilled jobs as there used to be and not as many manufacturing jobs in Melbourne and Australia as there used to be,'' she said.

Many job seekers had poor levels of literacy and numeracy, and a large number had English as a second language. This made it harder to retrain them. Ms Jones said many had been out of work for long periods.

Ary Laufer, general manager of multicultural job agency AMES, said poor housing affordability was contributing to the problem as it was pushing migrants and refugees to areas where they could afford to live, such as Broadmeadows.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Whatever Happened To The Pacific Brand Workers.
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 11:38am

Now whats this, I don't understand.  Are we not supposed to have low unemployment, and plenty of jobs out there?.  How can this be?.  It looks like a lot of these people are still out of work.  Oh that's right, they must be the hidden unemployed.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:00pm

You picked one area.

What about all the jobs Gillards BER created?  Surely there is some offset.

Its impossible to only have job growth without any losses.

You do realise that job growth is a net figure right?

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:12pm

The $64,000 question is what is the real unemployment number in Australia?  The government says 5.1 per cent.  I say try that by at least a factor of three time that plus.  The government get their figures from the ABS, which are flawed numbers to start with.  In other words how are these numbers counted?.  Why are not all the unemployed counted?.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:28pm

$64 000 question eh?

Pfft .. look at what inflation has done to that figure.

And you're worried about unemployment!

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 1:25pm

<<Why are not all the unemployed counted?. >>
They are in Spain, and their unemployment figure was up around 20%. Ours would be about the same.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 1:56pm

Quote:
The $64,000 question is what is the real unemployment number in Australia?  The government says 5.1 per cent.  I say try that by at least a factor of three time that plus.  The government get their figures from the ABS, which are flawed numbers to start with.  In other words how are these numbers counted?.  Why are not all the unemployed counted?.

Sounds like a good job for you.  Set about the task then of finding it out.

BTW, once you find that figure, what exactly are you going to do with it?

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 11:13am

Quote:
Now whats this, I don't understand.  Are we not supposed to have low unemployment, and plenty of jobs out there?.  How can this be?.  It looks like a lot of these people are still out of work.  Oh that's right, they must be the hidden unemployed.

They are either phantom jobs created by job shark parasites or its the same job being advertised by many different job sharks.

Either way, manufacturing jobs are dying here and being replaced by casualized service industry trash jobs Sad

By the way did Sue Morphet end up selling her multi million dollar mansion in Hawthorn ?

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 11:20am

Sir lastnail wrote on Oct 22nd, 2010 at 11:13am:
Quote:
Now whats this, I don't understand.  Are we not supposed to have low unemployment, and plenty of jobs out there?.  How can this be?.  It looks like a lot of these people are still out of work.  Oh that's right, they must be the hidden unemployed.

They are either phantom jobs created by job shark parasites or its the same job being advertised by many different job sharks.

Either way, manufacturing jobs are dying here and being replaced by casualized service industry trash jobs Sad

By the way did Sue Morphet end up selling her multi million dollar mansion in Hawthorn ?

What`s a Job shark? A union rep?
What`s your hangup with people having nice houses?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 12:20pm

aussiefree2ride wrote on Oct 22nd, 2010 at 11:20am:
Sir lastnail wrote on Oct 22nd, 2010 at 11:13am:
Quote:

What`s a Job shark? A union rep?
What`s your hangup with people having nice houses?

A job shark is a job agent.

And she got the nice house by selling out 2000 Aussie jobs to sweat shops in China Sad Why should anyone be impressed by that ?

I bet you she is a liberal voter Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 3:23pm

Quote:
Now whats this, I don't understand.  Are we not supposed to have low unemployment, and plenty of jobs out there?.  How can this be?.  It looks like a lot of these people are still out of work.  Oh that's right, they must be the hidden unemployed.

Or you just picked ONE area where the people are too lazy to travel for work???

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 3:48pm

The unemployed must be prepared to travel 90 minutes to a job.  Some of these people could be low income workers, and perhaps not able to afford to travel further for work.  By the time petrol and other car running costs come into it, for low income workers sometimes it is hardly worthwhile, traveling more than that, and especially not for some second rate, low wage and poor conditions job anyway.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #12 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 4:13pm

Quote:
The unemployed must be prepared to travel 90 minutes to a job.  Some of these people could be low income workers, and perhaps not able to afford to travel further for work.  By the time petrol and other car running costs come into it, for low income workers sometimes it is hardly worthwhile, traveling more than that, and especially not for some second rate, low wage and poor conditions job anyway.  

And I spent my early working life among people who regularly spent 90 minutes EACH way travelling to work.....there was even a couple of people who 2 hours EACH way travelling to work...My personal record was travelling 3 hours, each way, to get to a SINGLE 17 hourshift....

Work exists.....providing you are prepared to put in the effort to find it...

I had 2 jobs, which required me to leave home at 8 or 9am, do a 6 hour shift, have a 2 hour break then go to the second job and do a 4 hour shift, and arrive home at 1am...
If you want to work, and aren't a lazy bastard......then you can make money.

People who 'claim' there's no work..because they can't ,or won't, travel further than the end of the street...don't deserve to have jobs...or unemployment benefits....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 4:25pm

You and I don't make the rules, but the rules are the rules are they not.  People only have to travel 90 minutes to a job, and if they are prepared to do that, then they are fulfilling their obligations.  If people decide thay want to travel further to work, well good on them.  Lets remember though one thing, its very different for those on higher wages.  They have much more incentive to travel further than low income workers.  I am afraid to say that for low income workers, travel money very much DOES come into the equation.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #14 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 4:46pm

Quote:
You and I don't make the rules, but the rules are the rules are they not.  People only have to travel 90 minutes to a job, and if they are prepared to do that, then they are fulfilling their obligations.  If people decide thay want to travel further to work, well good on them.  Lets remember though one thing, its very different for those on higher wages.  They have much more incentive to travel further than low income workers.  I am afraid to say that for low income workers, travel money very much DOES come into the equation.  

No 'travel money' doesn't really apply to low income workers...90 minutes by train or bus costs about $3.50 to $5.00...which is less than 1 hours work....

The complaint that 'travel' cost too much 'might' work..if you're on the dole....but once you actually get a job it's bullshit....if you make the minimum wage....$7 to $9 per hour..then the trip to and from work costs no more than 1 hours work per day...

So refusing to travel because it's 'too expensive' is a cop out.....

To refuse to spend 1 hour or 2 hours wage to travel to a job that gives you 8 or 10 hours a day is a pathetic way to say..."I'm too lazy to work"..

If you're NOT prepared to spend $25 or $50 per week on travel to earn a wage of $300, then you don't deserve to have a job....
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2010 at 4:52pm by gizmo_2655 »  

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #15 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 5:47pm

I actually worked as a 'Strapper' in Broadmeadows once. Would have thought there was plenty of work there?

Maybe its more of the case of 'people not wanting to work'?

Where I work, the majority of male staff are more interested in the next beer or cigarette, rather than the job at hand.
I don't try to do my work 'fantastic', its just a job afterall - but I don't cut corners, be inconsiderate of others and just plain mentally and physically lazy.
I think this is the problem in Australia - 'overpaid' bludgers!
Oh no - now I've said something, now they are gonna bring in the Union or go on Compo!!
Roll Eyes

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 10:51pm

The minimum award wage in Australia is now $15 per hour.  That is for a permanent worker with holiday pay, sick pay, termination money.  Of course one must pay a higher rate for casual workers.  As for travel to work and back, I was referring to those that use a car to get to and home from work.  Let us also remember that their are some employers, that will not employ people if they don't have a car.  Also let us remember that not all jobs are close to public transport.      

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #17 - Oct 23rd, 2010 at 6:19am

Quote:
The minimum award wage in Australia is now $15 per hour.  That is for a permanent worker with holiday pay, sick pay, termination money.  Of course one must pay a higher rate for casual workers.  As for travel to work and back, I was referring to those that use a car to get to and home from work.  Let us also remember that their are some employers, that will not employ people if they don't have a car.  Also let us remember that not all jobs are close to public transport.        

And let us also remember that it's very unusual for even unemployed people to not have a car these days.....

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print