Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Refugees to 'harm' kids' education (Read 5493 times)
BlOoDy RiPpEr
Gold Member

aussie-patriot.com

Sydney
Refugees to 'harm' kids' education
Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:25pm

Refugees to 'harm' kids' education

Read more...
http://www.aussie-patriot.com/MessageBoard/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=184

host of the aussie-patriot.com site
IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Re: Refugees to 'harm' kids' education
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:28pm

I'm always amazed at the generosity of liberals. Their munificence surely knows no bounds; people like this must be so grateful that the open-borders crowd aren't hogging all the wonderful diversity that these refugees bring for themselves and giving it to them instead.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:35pm by aikmann4 »  

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:35pm

No thanks. Aussies that say 'patriot' are American red neck wannabes. Off you go and take your banjo, your bible and your pop gun with you because Sweet Lord Alabama's a callin' you.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:38pm

I dunno what this country is coming to. Refugee kids should stay locked up behind barbed wire fences so they can be molested and abused, not put in schools where they can receive an education that will enable them to be productive members of society.

You know, because they're sub-human and all.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:41pm

aikmann4 wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:28pm:
I'm always amazed at the generosity of liberals. Their munificence surely knows no bounds; people like this must be so grateful that the open-borders crowd aren't hogging all the wonderful diversity that these refugees bring for themselves and giving it to them instead.

Interesting how you say Liberals.  Im a liberal voter and I dont have a problem with refugees.

Surely your not being ignorant by insinuating that where a person votes dictates their social agenda, or that they follow a party blindly?

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:42pm

Quote:
Surely your not being ignorant by insinuating that where a person votes dictates their social agenda

Of course it does.

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:46pm

Quote:
Interesting how you say Liberals.  Im a liberal voter and I dont have a problem with refugees.

What the f*ck are you talking about?

Liberal =/= liberal

lower capitals

Nor did you even comprehend my original post beyond that.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:52pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:38pm:
I dunno what this country is coming to. Refugee kids should stay locked up behind barbed wire fences so they can be molested and abused, not put in schools where they can receive an education that will enable them to be productive members of society.

Or, alternatively, their parents could go through proper channels.....
After all, if they are legitimate refugees Australia cannot and will not refuse them asylum.....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:59pm

Quote:

How about you spend some time in the DRC or somewhere equally horrific, then, after giving up everything you have and everyone you've loved for the chance at giving your family a better life, make your way to a country where the majority of people are too ethnocentrically self-absorbed to extend a helping hand.

"Proper channels?" Please.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #9 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 4:08pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:59pm:
Quote:

How about you spend some time in the DRC or somewhere equally horrific, then, after giving up everything you have and everyone you've loved for the chance at giving your family a better life, make your way to a country where the majority of people are too ethnocentrically self-absorbed to extend a helping hand.

"Proper channels?" Please.

Yes 'Proper Channels'.......which means NOT paying snakeheads $10,000 per person to sneak in, but walking into ANY Australian Embassy or Consulate, in any country and filling out a form.....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #10 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 4:11pm

It must be nice to be so wrapped up in your own security (which you were lucky enough to be born into) that you can look down on other people for wanting the same thing for themselves and their children.

Going through the proper channels is fine - until you're desperate enough that propriety means nothing.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #11 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 4:19pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 4:11pm:
It must be nice to be so wrapped up in your own security (which you were lucky enough to be born into) that you can look down on other people for wanting the same thing for themselves and their children.

Going through the proper channels is fine - until you're desperate enough that propriety means nothing.

Annie, the poor people who escape the DCR, don't sail HERE directly, now do they??

No, they pass through a number of countries to reach Indonesia. Most of those countries have Embassies........ANY country that is a signatory to the UN refugee policy cannot refuse asylum to a refugee......

So WHY do they pay people smugglers vast amounts of money to sail to Australia?????

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #12 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 4:31pm

Because they're ignorant enough and desperate enough to believe that people who have as much to spare as Australians do might care enough to share it with others who are less fortunate.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 4:32pm

Seems to be some confusion in this thread already about the difference between asylum seeker and refugee.

Might be worth checking it.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 5:11pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 4:31pm:
Because they're ignorant enough and desperate enough to believe that people who have as much to spare as Australians do might care enough to share it with others who are less fortunate.

Like I've said before, if that was me and mine, I'd be on the first available boat. I'd hate to be looking death in the eye every minute of every day.

Pretty well 100% of the protesters on here would be the same. It's easy to condemn people when you've got a gut full of food and a safe haven.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

BlOoDy RiPpEr
Gold Member

aussie-patriot.com

Sydney
Reply #15 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 6:19pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 5:11pm:
Like I've said before, if that was me and mine, I'd be on the first available boat.

That’s the problem with your type, first sine of problems you bail out. So once this country turns too poo I guess you will be off on a boat.

That’s the problem with 'Globalism' No sense of National Pride. This is exactly why wars start in the first place.

host of the aussie-patriot.com site
IP Logged

Jaykaye_09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 6:58pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:52pm:
Annie Anthrax wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:38pm:

After all, if they are legitimate refugees Australia cannot and will not refuse them asylum.....

What 'proper channel' does one pursue from Afghanistan?

Edit: Apologies, I should have read the rest of the thread. The point remains though, it's not as if "refugees" can just up and go to the Australian embassy upon arrival in say Indonesia.

If I don't respond to a post directed toward me, it's probably because I've gone offline, not because I'm rude.&&&&Or maybe I don't like you. In which case, sod off. Ta.

IP Logged

Team Froggie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #17 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 7:04pm

Is the reason Mr. Harrison is not smiling in the photo because he has missing teeth, or he is just a miserable SH!T???

"Mr Harrison said 50 motorists had honked their horns in 35 minutes."

He neglected to say that over a thousand cars went by....

Smiley

BRIOHNY Pitts fears that an influx of 400 asylum-seekers will destroy the quiet Adelaide Hills community her family treasures.

And doesn't dear Briohny just sound "THE PITS"!!!

"What's in store for me in the direction I don't take?"-Jack Kerouac.

IP Logged

codswal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 6:30am

its interesting as most of our so called asylum seekers are now from Sri Lanka/Tamils... how desperate are these people?  all of a sudden I am thinking, where some others have been in camps for years waiting to be chosen..

suddenly a new group of wealthy people are looking at leaky boats to get them to the promised land.with no papers of course.. and now they will all have children in tow putting even more at risk.but of course that will be all the evil Liberals fault wont it.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #19 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 7:28am

codswal wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 6:30am:

its interesting as most of our so called asylum seekers are now from Sri Lanka/Tamils... how desperate are these people?  all of a sudden I am thinking, where some others have been in camps for years waiting to be chosen..

suddenly a new group of wealthy people are looking at leaky boats to get them to the promised land.with no papers of course.. and now they will all have children in tow putting even more at risk.but of course that will be all the evil Liberals fault wont it.

Well....yes it is!!!

Why is it that the vast majority of refugees who arrive by plane are largely ignored by those who oppose refugees.....the Liberal party of Australia has demonized and victimized asylum seekers for domestic political gain ever since Pauline Hanson struck a nerve and John Howard saw votes in persecuting minorities to appeal to the lowest denominator in our society.....Sure Tony Abbott could stop the boats by treating genuine refugees like criminals…..perhaps a few might commit suicide and children will have mental illness because of their incarceration but politics is a dirty business and refugees should have realized this when they entered the political debate by choosing a boat as their means to find freedom.....refugees should realize when they come to Australia they need to come by plane not boat.....they need to get with the times!!!

According to Abbott we are fighting in Afghanistan for the freedom of the Afghan people from the Taliban…..all I can say is we have nothing to be proud of and our actions do not match our rhetoric…..we are there for the oil and resources not to help the Afghan people achieve freedom…..how would the people living in that quite little Adelaide town feel if a foreign power started bombing their town and killing there children???

Once lead this people into war and they will forget there ever was such a thing as tolerance.

Woodrow Wilson (1856 - 1924), in John Dos Passos, "Mr Wilson's War"

Smiley

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 8:04am

philperth2010 wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 7:28am:

its interesting as most of our so called asylum seekers are now from Sri Lanka/Tamils... how desperate are these people?  all of a sudden I am thinking, where some others have been in camps for years waiting to be chosen..

Well....yes it is!!!

Why is it that the vast majority of refugees who arrive by plane are largely ignored by those who oppose refugees.....the Liberal party of Australia has demonized and victimized asylum seekers for domestic political gain ever since Pauline Hanson struck a nerve and John Howard saw votes in persecuting minorities to appeal to the lowest denominator in our society.....Sure Tony Abbott could stop the boats by treating genuine refugees like criminals…..perhaps a few might commit suicide and children will have mental illness because of their incarceration but politics is a dirty business and refugees should have realized this when they entered the political debate by choosing a boat as their means to find freedom.....refugees should realize when they come to Australia they need to come by plane not boat.....they need to get with the times!!!

According to Abbott we are fighting in Afghanistan for the freedom of the Afghan people from the Taliban…..all I can say is we have nothing to be proud of and our actions do not match our rhetoric…..we are there for the oil and resources not to help the Afghan people achieve freedom…..how would the people living in that quite little Adelaide town feel if a foreign power started bombing their town and killing there children???

Once lead this people into war and they will forget there ever was such a thing as tolerance.

Smiley

Firstly you are confusing asylum seekers with refugees.  The Liberal party doesnt have a problem with refugees.  The Liberal party takes issue with those who jump the queue and dont go through the proper channels in order to get refugee status.  How do you think the refugees in camps across the world waiting for settlement in other countries feel knowing they did the right thing by applying for refugee status the legal way when they see and hear of others queue jumping by paying people smugglers to sneak them in.

Its a fundmental mistake you are continuously making.

As for your second part, the Afghan region doesnt have oil.  The Afghan intervention was backed by the UN.  You are confusing the non-UN endorsed invasion of Iraq which was for oil with the efforts in the Afghan region.

IP Logged

culldav
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 10:41am

Don’t forget Australia is deliberately being targeted.  Considering most of these asylum seekers pass through 7 other countries before arriving in Australia. The majority of them are from an Islamic background, so it would make more sense for them to stay in Indonesia were the population is about 90% Islamic.

While these asylum seekers live it up in 4* accommodation waiting processing, spare a thought of the Australian people who will be sleeping in parks, alley ways, streets and in cars tonight.  Welcome to Australian justice. 

What about the native Australian children who the Government couldn’t care less about whether they attend school or not.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #22 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 10:43am

Quote:
No sense of National Pride. This is exactly why wars start in the first place.

You've got to be joking. Look where Hitler's national pride got us.

« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2010 at 11:30am by Annie Anthrax »  

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #23 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 10:50am

gizmo_2655 wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 4:19pm:

Annie, the poor people who escape the DCR, don't sail HERE directly, now do they??

No, they pass through a number of countries to reach Indonesia. Most of those countries have Embassies........ANY country that is a signatory to the UN refugee policy cannot refuse asylum to a refugee......

So WHY do they pay people smugglers vast amounts of money to sail to Australia?????

Do you not see the sad irony, that Australia has been advertising far and wide for skilled immigrants and tourists - and holding our nation up as the best place to live on the planet!?

Hint: -

Quote:

WHERE THE BLOODY HELL ARE YOU!?

(No boats.)

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #24 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 10:57am

This country doesn't need anymore people in it.

IP Logged

culldav
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 11:29am

Australia could have been one of the most prosperous countries on the planet, but thanks to the low IQ’s of Australians who vote in unintelligent worthless political parties; has now seen that prosperous fortune turned to dust.  Australia is nothing more than the planets strip mine. Many people even doubt that Australia could feed its own population now without importing food. 

Australia needs a bigger population like the planet needs more nuclear weapons.  LOL

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #26 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 11:34am

Oh come on. We have an amazing standard of living that would still be impressive regardless of whether or not we were endowed with bountiful natural resources. They do allow us to punch above our weight, so to speak, but we're still a success story, and would be regardless. An amazing success story that was made possible by the spirit, persistence and ingenuity of the Anglo-Celtic people.

Our average IQ is something like 100.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #27 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 11:36am

Quote:
Our average IQ is something like 100.

Which just makes us 'average'!

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #28 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 11:37am

The world average is something like 85-90, Equitist.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #29 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 11:54am

aikmann4 wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 11:37am:
The world average is something like 85-90, Equitist.

Maybe so, but I was looking up IQ scales yesterday (to compare the results of my sons) and 100 is officially regarded as 'average' on the WISC scale...

I am pleased to know that: overall, my boys are in the 'high average' (borderline 'superior') and 'superior' (borderline very superior') ranges - with some sub-tests in the 'very superior' range...

I haven't given them that specific information - they know they're smart (with marked strengths and some relative and absolute weaknesses) but I don't think it is good to give them a head-swell over their strengths (or to place too much emphasis on their weaknesses)...
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:01pm by Equitist »  

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #30 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:06pm

100 is the average scaled score for people in our countries, yes. Not so in most of the world (it is higher in the North East Asian countries like China/Japan/the Koreas, lower outside of the European countries).

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #31 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:07pm

aikmann4 wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:06pm:
100 is the average scaled score for people in our countries, yes. Not so in most of the world (it is higher in the North East Asian countries like China/Japan/the Koreas, lower outside of the European countries).

I figured that's what you were probably getting at...

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #32 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:14pm

Quote:
I am pleased to know that: overall, my boys are in the 'high average' (borderline 'superior') and 'superior' (borderline very superior') ranges - with some sub-tests in the 'very superior' range...

Congratulations. Just remember though that IQ tests given to children are nowhere near as stable, score-wise, as IQ tests given to adults. The genetic component that contributes to the variance in IQ rises as the effects of plasticity and the home-environment decline in adolescence.

I think it's best that most people don't know their score.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #33 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:24pm

aikmann4 wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:14pm:
Quote:

Congratulations. Just remember though that IQ tests given to children are nowhere near as stable, score-wise, as IQ tests given to adults. The genetic component that contributes to the variance in IQ rises as the effects of plasticity and the home-environment decline in adolescence.

I think it's best that most people don't know their score.

Due to his multiple congenital disabilities, my 15YO has had two IQ and several additional practical performance tests done to date - conducted by a range of different assessors for different purposes (including for educational funding, aide support and Board of Studies special exam provisions)...

He is the one with the overall borderline 'very superior' profile - and he lost 'speed bonus points' in the performance sub-tests due to his Cerebral Palsy - but his results have been remarkably consistent over time...

Similarly, his Basic Skills Test and Naplan Test results provide a remarkable reflection of his IQ profile...

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #34 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:28pm

Quote:
Due to his multiple congenital disabilities, my 15YO has had two IQ and several additional practical performance tests done to date - conducted by a range of different assessors for different purposes (including for educational funding, support and board of studies exam provisions)...

Oh OK. If he is 15 and has been tested multiple times I think that settles it; your son is probably gifted or borderline gifted. If he was losing points in performance tests like the Block Design then that is hardly fair; that is a motoric problem, not an intellectual deficit. The psychometrician should have arranged for performance equivalences that don't require touching and motor abilities.

Your son is likely "very superior" (130+, gifted). His score was just being depressed by his motor abilities.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #35 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:30pm

aikmann4 wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:28pm:
Quote:
Due to his multiple congenital disabilities, my 15YO has had two IQ and several additional practical performance tests done to date - conducted by a range of different assessors for different purposes (including for educational funding, support and board of studies exam provisions)...

Oh OK. If he is 15 and has been tested multiple times I think that settles it; your son is probably gifted or borderline gifted. If he was losing points in performance tests like the Block Design then that is hardly fair; that is a motoric problem, not an intellectual deficit. The psychometrician should have arranged for performance equivalences that don't require touching and motor abilities.

Your son is likely "very superior" (130+, gifted). His score was just being depressed by his motor abilities.

Yup, he scored on the 99th percentile for Verbal Comprehension, 97th Verbal IQ, 79th Performance IQ and 94th Full Scale IQ - hence one of his reports contained a GATS referral...

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #36 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:32pm

I don't know what that is Tongue

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #37 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:35pm

Quote:
Yup, he scored on the 99th percentile for Verbal Comprehension, 97th Verbal IQ, 79th Performance IQ and 94th Full Scale IQ - hence one of his reports contained a GATS referral...

How did he do on the non-verbal tests that don't require motor ability?

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #38 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:36pm

aikmann4 wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:32pm:
I don't know what that is Tongue

GATS? = Gifted & Talented Students

The referral was actually to the Gifted & Talented Children's Association

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #39 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:44pm

aikmann4 wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:35pm:
Quote:

Varied - marked weaknesses and strengths!

In his Performance sub-tests (at about age 6 1/2) - he ranged from average to superior (Picture Completion was only 25th percentile but Coding and Block Design were both 91st, with Picture Arrangement 75th, Symbol Search 84th and Object Assembly 63rd)...

This is not surprising, since the CT-scan shows dilation of the right occipital horn and adjacent white matter - which affects visual processing (on top of his motor control issues)...

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #40 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:50pm

Correction...

aikmann4 wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:35pm:
Quote:

Varied - marked weaknesses and strengths!

In his Performance sub-tests (at about age 6 1/2) - he ranged from average to superior (Picture Completion was only 25th percentile but Coding and Block Design were both 91st, with Picture Arrangement 75th, Symbol Search 84th and Object Assembly 63rd)...

This is not surprising, since the CT-scan shows dilation of the right occipital horn and thinning of the adjacent white matter - which affects visual processing (on top of his motor control issues)...

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #41 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:52pm

Quote:
Coding and Block Design were both 91st,

This is really strange. I would have suspected the opposite given that cerebral palsy (I think) affects motor abilities. These are the most motor-oriented tests in the Wechsler battery and he did very well on them. I was wrong in my assessment, then. He is probably not gifted due to a severely dysfunctional brain, but pinpoint scores don't really matter anyway. He is very very smart.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #42 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 1:04pm

aikmann4 wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:52pm:
Quote:
Coding and Block Design were both 91st,

This is really strange. I would have suspected the opposite given that cerebral palsy (I think) affects motor abilities. These are the most motor-oriented tests in the Wechsler battery and he did very well on them. I was wrong in my assessment, then. He is probably not gifted due to a severely dysfunctional brain, but pinpoint scores don't really matter anyway. He is very very smart.

Cerebral palsy is by definition a motor problem...

The report notes that he was restless and distractible throughout the testing (as per usual) and that he lost potential performance speed 'bonus points' due to being one-handed and having poor motor control of his 'good' hand (partly due to hyper-mobile joints)...

(By necessity, he is right-handed, despite both of his parents being left-handed. His brother is right-handed, left-footed.)

Yup, he's smart (and finds good workarounds) but he doesn't really seek external approval and is therefore difficult to motivate...which is not all that uncommon amongst smart kids...
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2010 at 1:10pm by Equitist »  

IP Logged

bridonta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 3:37pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 4:19pm:

they can go to Indonesia or others without restriction on visas but not Australia so they have to pay for some people to take them here but then it's the money of our tax payers to fund their trips .. their holidays after they get their permanents .. also their compensation after they sued the immigration department ..

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #44 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 3:57pm

The area these refugees are going to in the Adelaide Hills was first settled by German refugees who were escaping religious persecution in the 1800's.
It makes a lot more sense to spend the money in these regional areas than to keep pouring it into Naru.
Even under Howard the vast majority of boat people were found to be genuine refugees and ended up settling in Australia, so putting them in decent housing and giving the kids a good education in an Aussie school makes far more sense than the way the Libs did it where we ended up with thousands of traumatised kids and adults and huge mental health issues and costs after they were locked up and treated like crims.
The decent treatment of refugees is an international obligation and one that the Howard govt fell badly short of and the only reason for his poor form was political expediency and populism aimed at marginal seats.
I would think all Aussies would be glad our govt is not wasting billions propping up Naru and is spending the  money in Australia where it will support jobs and in the end mean a better deal for everyone concerned.
The Adelaide Hills was originally settled by refugees and its a shame that more than 150 yrs on there is a crop of Aussies with less compassion and understanding than true blue Aussies had almost 2 centuries ago  Smiley

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #45 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 4:01pm

ba
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2010 at 4:10pm by aikmann4 »  

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #46 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 5:53pm

Verge wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 8:04am:
philperth2010 wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 7:28am:

Well....yes it is!!!

Smiley

Firstly you are confusing asylum seekers with refugees.  The Liberal party doesnt have a problem with refugees.  The Liberal party takes issue with those who jump the queue and dont go through the proper channels in order to get refugee status.  How do you think the refugees in camps across the world waiting for settlement in other countries feel knowing they did the right thing by applying for refugee status the legal way when they see and hear of others queue jumping by paying people smugglers to sneak them in.

Its a fundmental mistake you are continuously making.

As for your second part, the Afghan region doesnt have oil.  The Afghan intervention was backed by the UN.  You are confusing the non-UN endorsed invasion of Iraq which was for oil with the efforts in the Afghan region.

Well.....firstly an asylum seeker has not entered the country illegally by coming by boat despite what you might like to think.....you can argue all you like about the morality and people smugglers but the fact remains.....coming to Australia by boat is not illegal and asylum seekers have every right to seek refuge wherever they feel they are safe......this is why they are allowed to stay in Australia and are not prosecuted....this is not the fault of asylum seekers who are desperate to make a better life for themselves this is the fault of governments who have signed the international refugee protocol and who start wars....These countries are then obligated to take refugees because the country they came from is at war and they are genuine refugees.....you reap what you sew!!!

Secondly....

http://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFSGE68L0EZ20100922

http://www.whale.to/b/scott_b2.html

Wednesday, 24 March 2010 19:40  
The United States Marines are expected to do the hard work when it comes to War.  They are given the toughest jobs and the most dangerous tasks to perform and the Marines will not complain and will carry out their assignments as ordered.

So when told to deploy in an uninhabited part of Afghanistan to secure a portion of desolate desert terrain for the sake of ensuring that oil pipelines are built and kept safe from rebel hands, the Marines take on the job.

The Marines might look at this deployment as just another mission that happens to involve oil. This is not the first time, nor is it likely to be the last time the US military gets in a fight over oil. The reason the United States went to war against Saddam Hussein a first time in 1990-91 was to get him out of Kuwait because Kuwait has oil, and because it placed Iraq far too close to Saudi Arabia.

Read more here

http://oilprice.com/Geo-Politics/Middle-East/Oil-for-Blood-in-Afghanistan.html

Smiley

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.

IP Logged

phantomlady

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 10:24pm

[quote author=philperth2010 link=1287552313/15#19 date=1287610089According to Abbott we are fighting in Afghanistan for the freedom of the Afghan people from the Taliban…..all I can say is we have nothing to be proud of and our actions do not match our rhetoric…..we are there for the oil and resources not to help the Afghan people achieve freedom…..how would the people living in that quite little Adelaide town feel if a foreign power started bombing their town and killing there children???

Smiley [/quote]

There is no oil in Afghanistan.  Lotsa poppies, but no oil.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #48 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 10:38pm

phantomlady wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 10:24pm:
[quote author=philperth2010 link=1287552313/15#19 date=1287610089According to Abbott we are fighting in Afghanistan for the freedom of the Afghan people from the Taliban…..all I can say is we have nothing to be proud of and our actions do not match our rhetoric…..we are there for the oil and resources not to help the Afghan people achieve freedom…..how would the people living in that quite little Adelaide town feel if a foreign power started bombing their town and killing there children???

Smiley

There is no oil in Afghanistan.  Lotsa poppies, but no oil. [/quote]

Really???

A preliminary survey found that Afghanistan may have 1.8 billion barrels of oil in the north of the country, an official said.

The survey by Afghan and international geologists found the possible oil field between Balkh and Jawzjan provinces, Mines Ministry spokesman Jawad Omar said.

He said the survey would be reviewed and a statement about the possible field is expected by the end of the year or early in 2011. He gave no further details.

Last June, Afghan officials said US geologists believe the country has nearly one trillion US dollars in mineral resources, although it could take decades and peace with the Taliban and other insurgents before it can be fully exploited.

Oil was first discovered in Afghanistan in 1959 in the country's part of the Amu Darya and Afghan-Tajik basins of the north.

A 2006 report by the US Department of Energy estimated that Afghanistan has about one billion barrels of recoverable oil, although the US Geological Survey the same year put the figure at nearly two billion barrels.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/oil-field-discovered-in-afghanistan-2053829.html

http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/MAD201A.html

August 15, 2010
Afghanistan's Mining Ministry announced today that a new oil deposit with an estimated 1.8 billion barrels of crude has been discovered in the north of the country.

Ministry spokesman Jawad Omar told the French news agency AFP that the new oil deposit extends in a triangle between Balkh, Hairatan, and Shuburghan.

Geologists are not expected to complete further assessments on the ground until January, and then the deposit will be opened to tender, Omar said.

It is the sixth oil deposit discovery made in Afghanistan.
The largest were found in the Amu Darya river basin marking the border between Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan.

http://www.rferl.org/content/Afghanistan_Discovers_New_Oil_Deposit/2128315.html

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #49 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 6:46am

The meeting at Woodside in the Adelaide Hills to discuss the asylum seekers that will be housed there attracted around 500 people who were made up mainly of the over 55's and a group of younger National Action ultra Nationalists.
It was heartening to see the age group that represents the majority of Australians...the 15 to 50 age group kept well away from this hatemonger exercise in refugee bashing.

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #50 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 6:59am

Oops ..I should add that at least 10% of the 500 were a group of backroom Liberal Party members that were wandering around stirring the oldies into a frenzy of racial intolerance.

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #51 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 7:14am

It is heartening to see a few private schools in the Adelaide Hills are already putting together proposals offering to take in the asylum seeker children.
The fact is, the extremist neo Nationalist groups from Adelaide are hijacking this issue to further their hate mongering agenda so people need to stick together and show these thugs that Australia wont have a bar of their extremism.
I congratulate the Adelaide Hills private schools for their compassion and decency and I condemn the ultra nationalists for their narrow minded fear and intolerance.

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #52 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 7:17am

More preening garbage from Homer Simpson Smiley

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #53 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 7:31am

I was there yesterday  Tongue

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

nichy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 8:26am

I feel quite sure that public schools with a large number of refugee children will be allocated  extra ESL (english as a second language) teachers and that the Aussie children will broaden their education  by mixing with different cultures and ethnic groups.

I don't see that the Aussie children will be harmed in any way.

"He who does not value life does not deserve it." -- Leonardo da Vinci&&&&

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #55 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 10:26am

It is interesting that the long term residents of Woodside and the surrounding areas who were at the meeting had never seen most of the anti refugee protesters who were at the meeting before.
One good thing that has come from the publicity this has caused is the back room Liberal Party members and the neo nationalists will be exposed.
It is also interesting that the Adelaide Hills mayor who originally supported the concept of housing and supporting the refugees at Woodside, has since he met with Liberal Party hacks just prior to the meeting, changed his tune.

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #56 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 11:05am

"The audiometrist, who works in a local hearing-care centre, said the refugee children's limited English would mean teachers had less time for Australian-born students"

Sounds like MY schooldays, in outer suburban Melbourne of the 1960's, when half the kids were those of newly arrived Greek and Italian immigrants

One of the kids introduced me to pizza for the first time at a 'lunch swap'

NOWADAYS I imagine the kids at my old school are swapping for pork dumplings, won-tons and tandooris

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Freya Darkmoon

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 1:48pm

nevermind. there is no point in upseting anybody.

IP Logged

mina

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 5:16pm

These people are disadvantaged as it is and all some people can do is complain about how they're going to fill up Australia's public schools and housing. No compassion.

IP Logged

Team Froggie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #59 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 5:51pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Oct 22nd, 2010 at 11:05am:
"The audiometrist, who works in a local hearing-care centre, said the refugee children's limited English would mean teachers had less time for Australian-born students"

Sounds like MY schooldays, in outer suburban Melbourne of the 1960's, when half the kids were those of newly arrived Greek and Italian immigrants

NOWADAYS I imagine the kids at my old school are swapping for pork dumplings, won-tons and tandooris

LOL....Brings back fond memories.

Smiley

I used to walk home with a kid called Enzo, whose big Italian Mama thought I was too skinny.

When I finally got home my mum wondered why I didn't want any dinner.

I can remember walking through Brunswick, late '50s early '60s, with my girlfriend.
Never once were we harassed by the Italian kids.

Sth Yarra, Toorak, Malvern, etc were a different matter and they were WASP areas back then.

« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2010 at 6:01pm by Team Froggie »  

"What's in store for me in the direction I don't take?"-Jack Kerouac.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #60 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 6:17pm

I thought 'real Aussies' just wanna breed?

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Frontmessenger

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 10:00am

[color=#ffff00]Only the Australia First Party will introduce an Immigration-Policy which will serve Australians. Voting for someone else is just a waste of time, like in the last 30 years! Kiss
[/color]

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #62 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 12:47pm

Could you tell me the details of the policy?

IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #63 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 7:16pm

Team Froggie wrote on Oct 22nd, 2010 at 5:51pm:
buzzanddidj wrote on Oct 22nd, 2010 at 11:05am:

LOL....Brings back fond memories.

Smiley

I used to walk home with a kid called Enzo, whose big Italian Mama thought I was too skinny.

When I finally got home my mum wondered why I didn't want any dinner.

I can remember walking through Brunswick, late '50s early '60s, with my girlfriend.
Never once were we harassed by the Italian kids.

Sth Yarra, Toorak, Malvern, etc were a different matter and they were WASP areas back then.

Very very fond memories (food wise). Although mine are from the nineties, North-cote boy. Parts of me think there should be "mumma" kitchens in all neighbourhoods.
Heaps of the best food you can eat while being treated like a king. But ultimately i prefer the females in my life to give me 'heaps' rather than feed it to me. I can already feel the resulting pain of the suggestion of "mumma" kitchens.  Smiley

Blue. red. less. more. hugs. or go the f&#k home.
The debate is stale. the debate is stupid. The difference in outcomes means nothing.
We need to impose on any new arrivals. Where to work, when they work and what they do.
They need conditions that will benefit them and the country in which they wish to live.
Nothing is free, everything should be earnt.
Everything i have I’ve worked for in some way, if you don't earn 'it', than 'it' is meaningless.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #64 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 7:23pm

jame-e wrote on Nov 5th, 2010 at 7:16pm:
Blue. red. less. more. hugs. or go the f&#k home.
The debate is stale. the debate is stupid. The difference in outcomes means nothing.
We need to impose on any new arrivals. Where to work, when they work and what they do.
They need conditions that will benefit them and the country in which they wish to live.
Nothing is free, everything should be earnt.
Everything i have I’ve worked for in some way, if you don't earn 'it', than 'it' is meaningless.

That's way too smacking sensible in this day and age. You GOTTA come up with something more modern.

IP Logged

Verystormy

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 4:55pm

The Northam lot, or as i now refer to them as the Northam Nazis have been spouting the same rubbish. I know personnaly a lot of Sri Lankan refugees and i can say that the ones i know are all genuine - i have seen the torture scars on their backs and had no other method of escape. These people have often left behind family and their entire lives to escape.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print