Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
*** SIGN the PETITION for reproductive CHOICE *** (Read 3742 times)
phantomlady

Australian Politics

Re: *** SIGN the PETITION for reproductive CHOICE ***
Reply #15 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:29pm

I have no issues with abortion, though as a birth control method it's a very slack option.

To self abort is simply stupid and dangerous.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #16 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:29pm

Quote:
I spat my Lady Earl tea all over my keyboard! GUFFAW!!!

Oh my. That sounds familiar  Wink

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #17 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:37pm

LMAO!!!!!!!

Annie your views on abortion are disgusting.

As a PROUD MEDITERRANEAN AUSTRALIAN, BORN AND BRED HERE, I CAN ONLY SAY THAT YOU HAVE TO APOLOGISE FOR YOUR RUDENESS AND INSULTING ATTITUDE TOWARDS AUSTRALIAN WOMEN EVERYWHERE!

I'm outta here!

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #18 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:39pm

You forgot to highlight parts of your post for the rest of us idiots that can't grasp the meaning without help.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 7:30pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:39pm:
You forgot to highlight parts of your post for the rest of us idiots that can't grasp the meaning without help.

Don`t forget the fathers` right to demand termination of unwanted pregnancies, or have you a twist to the "equality" scam? Cheesy

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 8:01pm

locutius wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:28pm:
Verge I see where you are coming from but "incubator" is not the correct terminology.

Rather "moral being bearing young" or "1/2 of accountable pair bearing young"

This is a topic that can get way out of hand and I will be the first to admit to currently being a fence sitter on this issue. I was once pro-choice but that is no longer the case. I have a strong sense of peoples freedoms but that is balanced by a strong sense of peoples responsibilities.

I think that abortion beyond a certain month is basically murder, what that age is I do not have a clear definition.

The highlight point I agree with.  I too am yet to be able to determine the cut off point.  As I said earlier, I think women deserve to know their rights at what that point is.  Anything after that point is murder.

Im certaintly not advocating that abortion at anytime up to birth is acceptable.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #21 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 8:34pm

skippy. wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:13pm:
Verge wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 2:56pm:
Im all for pro-choice.  No one knows better than those involved whether or not they want that child.

To expect someone to carry to term and then hand the child over to the adoption authorities is kidding themselves.  Why should the mother be an incubator for a child they dont want just to keep people who have nothing to do with them happy.

The law is pathetically outdated.  No one should be forced to be an incubator.

Well said, I agree.

Ditto - and definitely up until the end of the first trimester!

That said, if a woman has been aware of her pregnancy during the first trimester, then the choice to abort later would tend to suggest escalating psycho-social (and/or physical) stress as the pregnancy progresses. For this reason, I would be concerned about strictly enforcing a first trimester rule...

For most women, the decision to abort is not one that is made lightly - and many suffer lifelong guilt and grief...

It is only a small percentage who repeatedly use abortion as a method of birth control - and I would suggest that these are precisely the types of women who might be unwittingly making a good choice for the embryo/foetus...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #22 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 8:51pm

phantomlady wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:29pm:
I have no issues with abortion, though as a birth control method it's a very slack option.

To self abort is simply stupid and dangerous.

Certainly, a manually-induced abortion is dangerous - including ones performed by trained professionals...

BTW, folks, spontaneous miscarriages are far more common than many people realise - often a woman is a few days to a week 'late' but doesn't get around to doing a pregnancy test before they spontaneously abort...

Others do the test and then begin to bleed a few days later - and the pregnancy is never confirmed by a medical professional...

A not-insignificant proportion of women who choose an early abortion would have spontaneously miscarried within a few weeks anyway - but it is understandable that women and their partners choose to terminate as early as possible...

The women in my extended family have had numerous miscarriages between them - including my own mother who suddenly (without warning pains) miscarried into the home toilet at around 5 months...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #23 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 8:54pm

My opinion:

It's her body, it's her choice.

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #24 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 9:12pm

Alexander Shulgin pretty much summarised my attitude toward abortion and most other personal physical and mental health issues.

There is plenty of satisfactory evidence for legal abortion to be legislated to about the 33rd trimester.  <-- This is not the quote I had in mind.

Politicians and Nappies need to be changed often and for the same reason.

One trouble with political jokes is that they often get elected.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #25 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 10:10pm

qikvtec wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 9:12pm:
Alexander Shulgin pretty much summarised my attitude toward abortion and most other personal physical and mental health issues.

There is plenty of satisfactory evidence for legal abortion to be legislated to about the 33rd trimester.  <-- This is not the quote I had in mind.

1 trimester = 3 months.

You want to allow termination till the child is 8 years and 3 months old?

An unborn child would not be considered brain dead after about 10 weeks.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #26 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 10:30pm

Life_goes_on wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 8:54pm:
My opinion:

This is probably the most common statment used on this topic which I have a problem with - I feel that it is nowhere near that simple.

While I am not anti abortion I do sometimes sound that way.

I think that there should be a time when the unborn child has some rights which should not be violated.

I think at some point an unborn child should have the right to expect that he or she will not be destroyed on the whim of the women carrying the pregnancy.

I am not sure that I would agree that the child being carried is the women’s body or that she should have the unquestioned right to kill the unborn child.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #27 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 9:19am

Dnarever wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 10:30pm:
My opinion:

This is probably the most common statment used on this topic which I have a problem with - I feel that it is nowhere near that simple.

I think that there should be a time when the unborn child has some rights which should not be violated.

I think at some point an unborn child should have the right to expect that he or she will not be destroyed on the whim of the women carrying the pregnancy.

I am not sure that I would agree that the child being carried is the women’s body or that she should have the unquestioned right to kill the unborn child.

Well stated.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 10:32am

Dnarever wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 10:30pm:
My opinion:

Its for a similar reason that if a woman is past a certain time and is attacked by a criminal that results in the loss of the child, that person if caught should face a charge of murder or manslaughter in the very least, and not the usual toothless asault charge.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #29 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 10:52am

Quote:
Its for a similar reason that if a woman is past a certain time and is attacked by a criminal that results in the loss of the child, that person if caught should face a charge of murder or manslaughter in the very least, and not the usual toothless asault charge.

Absolutely.

Quote:
This is a topic that can get way out of hand and I will be the first to admit to currently being a fence sitter on this issue. I was once pro-choice but that is no longer the case. I have a strong sense of peoples freedoms but that is balanced by a strong sense of peoples responsibilities.

I think that abortion beyond a certain month is basically murder

That's exactly how I feel, Loc.

Quote:
Don`t forget the fathers` right to demand termination of unwanted pregnancies, or have you a twist to the "equality" scam?

Do you support a wife's right to 'demand' a husband undergo a vasectomy?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print