Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
*** SIGN the PETITION for reproductive CHOICE *** (Read 3751 times)
Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
*** SIGN the PETITION for reproductive CHOICE ***
Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:00pm

http://www.getup.org.au/campaign/women_are_not_criminals?dc=1405,283749,1

https://www.getup.org.au/campaign/my_choice_is_no_crime&id=1404

Quote:
Women and their partners shouldn't have to go through a criminal trial because they shouldn't be treated like criminals in the first place.

Right now thousands of calls are being placed to politicians and talkback radio by a small group of extreme conservatives in an attempt to ensure the law isn't changed.

We have to ensure the momentum from the 'not guilty' decision results in this outdated law being removed from the rule books.

I, for one, am concerned that the loud voices of a few religious fundamentalcase bigots are being heard because the progressive majority are failing to speak out...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Re: *** SIGN the PETITION for reproductive CHOICE ***
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:02pm

Here is the law itself for your reference:

Quote:
Section 225 of the Queensland Criminal Code ('Offenses Against Morality'): Any woman who, with intent to procure her own miscarriage, whether she is or is not with child, unlawfully administers to herself any poison or other noxious thing, or uses any force of any kind, or uses any other means whatever, or permits any such thing or means to be administered or used to her, is guilty of a crime, and is liable to imprisonment for 7 years.

http://www.getup.org.au/campaign/my_choice_is_no_crime&id=1409

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 10:51am

Nobody can accuse me of not having any compassion. I signed it.

Dear MP,

I'm writing to encourage you to act on the issue of choice.

Well, that's not necessarily true. I don't actually care about the "freedom of choice" of women when it comes to this issue. I think both sides of the controversy in the abortion debate make fairly convincing arguments, but I still side with the "pro-choicers" because I see, pragmatically, the societal value of the ability to terminate unwanted pregnancies on demand. Abortion, unlike any other method of birth control, is primarily eugenic; the least effective elements of society are those most likely to end up in a situation where they have been undesirably "knocked up", so to speak, and abortion allows the termination of their offspring before they are ushered into the world. I would assume that the monetary stresses this removes from our systems of social welfare, criminal justice, etc. are significant. Other social benefits of the practice of abortion are definite and incalcuable.

Please do away with the laws that restrict the efficient means of thinning the number of quadroons/hideous bogans pushing prams filled with their ugly, mediocre children that I see whenever I leave my house.

Thank you very much,

A concerned citizen who is more "pro-abortion" than he is "pro-choice"
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2010 at 10:57am by aikmann4 »  

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 10:58am

I see.   So anyone who doesn't believe in the 'right' to freely murder your offspring is a religious fundamentalcase bigot?  An interesting theory....

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 11:16am

aikmann4 wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 10:51am:

Dear MP,

"pro-choicers" because I see, pragmatically, the societal value of the ability to terminate unwanted pregnancies on demand. Abortion, unlike any other method of birth control, is primarily eugenic; the least effective elements of society are those most likely to end up in a situation where they have been undesirably "knocked up", so to speak, and abortion allows the termination of their offspring before they are ushered into the world. "

Think you may find that the facts are actually the opposite, while the Bogans you speak of are mostly happy to take the Baby bonus and child welfair payments and it is the more wealthy who make the self interest decision to continue in the workforce and remain barren.

Like you I am a bit both ways on the issue and I would agree with removing this Law even though I tend to swing slightly in favour of the child over the mother in a lot of cases.

I do not see the term pro choice as being relavent to the process.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 11:29am

I think this is strictly a female issue to be debated
and I think the Pope should butt out too.
But as a male, I think such a circumstance cannot be 'generalised' by one law.
If a young 16 year old was 'knocked up' by rape, decievership (ie - the father has run off) or her and her partner are in a terrible financial state - then I think I'm Pro-Abortion if the female so chooses.
If a 25 year old got pregnant upon a 'girls night out' after a few drinks.
Well suck poo and join the queues!

So I think there has to be a 'Wheel of Fortune' in regards to the situation as there are a percentage that should abort, should be allowed to abort and can abort - as opposed to the others who EXPLOIT another CHOICE that is offered in the modern world of today.

Personally, I think no-one should be allowed to have children unless they have proven themselves to have at least $100,000 in the bag first in the name of RESPONSIBILITY.
I would like that to become a Law. Smiley

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 11:32am

Dnarever wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 11:16am:

Dear MP,

"pro-choicers" because I see, pragmatically, the societal value of the ability to terminate unwanted pregnancies on demand. Abortion, unlike any other method of birth control, is primarily eugenic; the least effective elements of society are those most likely to end up in a situation where they have been undesirably "knocked up", so to speak, and abortion allows the termination of their offspring before they are ushered into the world. "

Think you may find that the facts are actually the opposite, while the Bogans you speak of are mostly happy to take the Baby bonus and child welfair payments and it is the more wealthy who make the self interest decision to continue in the workforce and remain barren.

Like you I am a bit both ways on the issue and I would agree with removing this Law even though I tend to swing slightly in favour of the child over the mother in a lot of cases.

I do not see the term pro choice as being relavent to the process.

That was speculation, but do you actually have anything to back this up?

In the U.S low income groups such as Mexicans are far more likely to have abortions than high income groups. I doubt things are any different here, unless the baby bonus really is having that much of an effect.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 11:41am

I'll only suppprt abortion when:

there is significant deformity or disability in the child.

or

It is the product of rape.

Abortion because a child will interfere with your lifestyle is NOT a valid option.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 1:28pm

... wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 10:58am:
I see.   So anyone who doesn't believe in the 'right' to freely murder your offspring is a religious fundamentalcase bigot?  An interesting theory....

That is according to the progressive, anti discriminatory, level headed, respecters of equality, and the opinions of all, at least.  Haven`t seen that intensity of fervor since the inquisition.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #9 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 2:49pm

Dear MP,

Well, that's not necessarily true. I don't actually care about the "freedom of choice" of women when it comes to this issue. I think both sides of the controversy in the abortion debate make fairly convincing arguments, but I still side with the "pro-choicers" because I see, pragmatically, the societal value of the ability to terminate unwanted pregnancies on demand. Abortion, unlike any other method of birth control, is primarily eugenic; the least effective elements of society are those most likely to end up in a situation where they have been undesirably "knocked up", so to speak, and abortion allows the termination of their offspring before they are ushered into the world. I would assume that the monetary stresses this removes from our systems of social welfare, criminal justice, etc. are significant. Other social benefits of the practice of abortion are definite and incalcuable.

Please do away with the laws that restrict the efficient means of thinning the number of quadroons/hideous bogans pushing prams filled with their ugly, mediocre children that I see whenever I leave my house.

Thank you very much,

A concerned citizen who is more "pro-abortion" than he is "pro-choice"

LOL, now that is funny. And a statement that I am not completely at odds with. Imp, I spat my Lady Earl tea all over my keyboard! GUFFAW!!!

Unfortunately I can't sign or send a petition for something like this without substancial qualification.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 2:56pm

Im all for pro-choice.  No one knows better than those involved whether or not they want that child.

To expect someone to carry to term and then hand the child over to the adoption authorities is kidding themselves.  Why should the mother be an incubator for a child they dont want just to keep people who have nothing to do with them happy.

The law is pathetically outdated.  No one should be forced to be an incubator.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #11 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:11pm

Quote:
LOL, now that is funny. And a statement that I am not completely at odds with. Imp, I spat my Lady Earl tea all over my keyboard! GUFFAW!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:13pm

Verge wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 2:56pm:
Im all for pro-choice.  No one knows better than those involved whether or not they want that child.

To expect someone to carry to term and then hand the child over to the adoption authorities is kidding themselves.  Why should the mother be an incubator for a child they dont want just to keep people who have nothing to do with them happy.

The law is pathetically outdated.  No one should be forced to be an incubator.

Well said, I agree.

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:26pm

I think I've stated my opinions on abortion here before. I have no problem with first trimester abortion on any grounds, but I'm absolutely against termination beyond that point unless there is a medical reason that makes an abortion necessary.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #14 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:28pm

Verge I see where you are coming from but "incubator" is not the correct terminology.

Rather "moral being bearing young" or "1/2 of accountable pair bearing young"

This is a topic that can get way out of hand and I will be the first to admit to currently being a fence sitter on this issue. I was once pro-choice but that is no longer the case. I have a strong sense of peoples freedoms but that is balanced by a strong sense of peoples responsibilities.

I think that abortion beyond a certain month is basically murder, what that age is I do not have a clear definition.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print