Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
AFL idots trying to drum up interest in Shanghai ! (Read 3085 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: AFL idots trying to drum up interest in Shanghai !
Reply #15 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 11:34am

... wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 11:08am:
So what sports are popular in China?  Ping pong must get boring after a while, so 'aerial ping-pong' would seem to be a good fit.

But they are probably much more healthy than the beer swilling, pizza gobbling, arm chair morons, here Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Jaykaye_09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 11:37am

So what sports are popular in China?

Football (Soccer).

They have a reasonable professional league, invest huge sums in development, and have a MASSIVE viewing audience.

AFL will never spread beyond these shores. Let us be thankful for that.

If I don't respond to a post directed toward me, it's probably because I've gone offline, not because I'm rude.&&&&Or maybe I don't like you. In which case, sod off. Ta.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 12:01pm

Jaykaye_09 wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 11:37am:

Football (Soccer).

They have a reasonable professional league, invest huge sums in development, and have a MASSIVE viewing audience.

Thats why they call us the lucky country.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Jaykaye_09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 12:02pm

Verge wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 12:01pm:
Jaykaye_09 wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 11:37am:

Football (Soccer).

Thats why they call us the lucky country.

I personally despise AFL, but each to their own.

If I don't respond to a post directed toward me, it's probably because I've gone offline, not because I'm rude.&&&&Or maybe I don't like you. In which case, sod off. Ta.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #19 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 12:55pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 11:34am:
So what sports are popular in China?  Ping pong must get boring after a while, so 'aerial ping-pong' would seem to be a good fit.

But they are probably much more healthy than the beer swilling, pizza gobbling, arm chair morons, here Wink

Yes, but probably much less healthy than those who actually go out and play, and enjoy the sport, rather than sitting on the computer b1tching and moaning about how footballers get it too easy.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Freya Darkmoon

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 2:03pm

i'd probably mind it a lot less if the guys who play these sports werent such dopes, haha.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #21 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 2:31pm

Freya Darkmoon wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 2:03pm:
i'd probably mind it a lot less if the guys who play these sports werent such dopes, haha.

There might be a lot of geniuses in the AFL.  Where is it written than one cannot be good at sport AND smart?

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #22 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 5:38pm

Crikey..people bagging Aussie Rules, its the greatest game on earth!

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Jaykaye_09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 7:17pm

adelcrow wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 5:38pm:

10th, 11th greatest . . . maybe.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 8:10pm

... wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 2:31pm:

There might be a lot of geniuses in the AFL.  Where is it written than one cannot be good at sport AND smart?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:55pm

... wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 2:31pm:

There might be a lot of geniuses in the AFL.  Where is it written than one cannot be good at sport AND smart?

Not after a few good bumps to the head making them permanently punch drunk Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:56pm

adelcrow wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 5:38pm:

I didn't know that Australia alone constitutes the whole of the earth Wink LOL

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #27 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 12:05am

Although from Sydney,
I think AFL is a great 'Running' Game of the Football genre.
You need good 'peripherial' vision to play it, much like Basketball and Ice Hockey as the opponents come from all directions and sometimes all at once.
It has a wonderful characteristic of the giant 'Mark' or leap into the air upon the back of another which is probably only rivaled by the Basketball "Slam Dunk". Although we rarely see good leaps since Warwick Capper's consistency.
As much as the NRL tries to compete with attaining popularity at 'Club Level', I think the AFL does this country proud upon that level of sporting culture. REAL NRL is all about the 'Test/International Level' like the Kangaroo Tours, not the St George Dragons V Sydney City Roosters which was like a silly version of the English v the French.
I think jealousy is a weakness and the NRL shows its jealousy towards the AFL's bigger (by 80% Shocked) 'Club Level' crowds.

The ARUnion is slowly moving away from the International scene which it maintained as an AMATEUR Sport for a very long time. The majority of players were very well educated and financed by their own businesses to afford such 'tours' around the world. These days the TRI NATIONS (NZ,SA & OZ) are more popular (professionally) and the SUPER Series are just as big a crowd pullers and with the Argentinians set to join the Tri Nations (Four Nations - Southern Hemisphere) and the Victorians set to join the Super Series, things are set to get better for the Code of Union.
Note: Having lived 7 years in Melbourne/Vic, can't help but think that Victorian Rugby plays much like League in NSW and NSW Rugby plays much like Rules in Vic - Non-Running and Running Rugby. Wink

Cricket seems to be our STATE Code of Sport as it has always been strong representing the States without bias (except NT ...but then again what does the NT do in sport anyway? Sad) and even the NRL State of Origin is fizzing out in popularity now that it is about Football and not punch-ups. Shame that State Cricket doesn't get the crowds, possibly the worst crowds Huh
Maybe they need to make a few changes, like make Dirk Welham run it and out-do the Indian Competition? Test Cricker is bias towards the Bowlers and tooooo long a game (5 days!). Super 8's and 20/20 Cricket is bias towards the Batters and to short a game. One Dayers are great but need some 'equalising' changes to purify the set-up a bit and make things less ...predictable. Who knows, maybe State Cricket might one day have big crowds and pay big money and Cricketers from around the world coming to play? Smiley

I think the NRL should stop worrying about trying to beat AFL at its own game = Club Level and go out wearing the Kangaroo Jersey and visit places like Shanghai and others around the world and promote League as a good introduction to Australian Sport in general. I don't think AFL does the trick overseas to be quite honest. Roll Eyes

Wink

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #28 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 12:32am

If that works they may try to get a team running in Sydney.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print