Only if she likes it    
  1 (33.3%)
No - never ever under any circumstances    
  1 (33.3%)

Total votes: 3
« Created by: True Colours on: Jul 30th, 2013 at 8:45pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22
Send Topic Print
wife beating in Islam (Read 85810 times)
Axle

Australian Politics

Re: wife beating in Islam
Reply #30 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 10:26pm

stryder wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:52pm:
wooooow, what a religion, if im correct, the koran allows muslims to lie to non muslims if it further advances there religion.

SO HOW DOES ANYONE BELIEVE A MUSLIM WITH THAT IN MIND

I guess Abu rashid has taken that to HEART,  Grin Grin Grin

Unless your some kind of Islamic expert, hearsay like that doesn't count for much. Maybe you could support that comment with something. Most probably, you'll find that disagreeable passages are interpreted out of existence by clerics referring to context and other passages or whatever. There are a number of Biblical passages, which, if you're being genuine would have you remarking, "SO HOW DOES ANYONE BELIEVE A CHRISTIAN WITH THAT IN MIND".

While you're looking up something and hopefully have talked it over with some Islamic expert, you might like to consult some Christian expert on:

"And Jehovah said, “Who shall entice Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead?” And one said on this manner; and another said on that manner. And there came forth a spirit, and stood before Jehovah, and said, “I will entice him.” And Jehovah said to him, “Wherewith?” And he said, “I will go forth, and will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.” And he said, “Thou shalt entice him, and shalt prevail also: go forth, and do so.” Now therefore, behold, Jehovah hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets; and Jehovah hath spoken evil concerning thee (22:20-23)."

Seems that old Jollysticks is winking at the odd fib or two to get his way. Of course, Biblical experts will probably jump up and down saying that you missed this and that and didn't understand and so on.........

I wouldn't be as presumptuous as you in either case.

As it is , religion isn't my thing, but what I do care about is honest debate or discussion.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #31 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 10:48pm

you might like to consult some Christian expert on:

"And Jehovah said, “Who shall entice Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead?” And one said on this manner; and another said on that manner. And there came forth a spirit, and stood before Jehovah, and said, “I will entice him.” And Jehovah said to him, “Wherewith?” And he said, “I will go forth, and will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.” And he said, “Thou shalt entice him, and shalt prevail also: go forth, and do so.” Now therefore, behold, Jehovah hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets; and Jehovah hath spoken evil concerning thee (22:20-23)."

Seems that old Jollysticks is winking at the odd fib or two to get his way. Of course, Biblical experts will probably jump up and down saying that you missed this and that and didn't understand and so on.........

- Axle

1stly .. this has nothing at all to do with this topic .. and right now Abu is probably thanking his lucky stars that you've introduced this so as to detract from the mess he has made of this topic ( on the previous 2 pages ).

2ndly .. I will say this:

If you had read/understood the Bible you would know that GOD  didn't have to use a lying spirit in this instance but rather He chose to do so. It was His will to punish Ahab and He chose to use a lying spirit to deceive him through his false prophets. Interestingly, it was a true prophet of God who told the king about the deception and so he had all the opportunity in the world to change his mind.

Now if you don't mind .. could we get back to Islam and wife beating <-- the topic .. please???

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Axle

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 11:20pm

I was just responding to a comment made by the poster called Stryder. I take it that I'm allowed to respond to what's written here? However, if you need to blame someone for getting away from the topic, I suggest that you admonish the poster I responded to.

You have obviously missed my point in quoting that passage. I did say that I wouldn't be presumptuous enough to base any judgement on it  because I understand that interpretation  of one passage without knowledge of the whole religion or its texts could be dangerous. Accordingly, I would not draw any conclusion as to how I should treat a member of any religion based on some hearsay about the religion or some passage(s) in its texts -unlike the poster I brought to task on the issue. I hope you see nothing wrong in that.

Thank you for putting that Biblical passage into context. It just demonstrates the above point I wanted to make. A person shouldn't pass judgement unless he/she is very well acquainted with the subject matter.

Even so, and I grant that  it is off topic, you  personally haven't exonerated Jollysticks.

You wrote:

Quote:
It was His will to punish Ahab and He chose to use a lying spirit to deceive him through his false prophets

He chose to use a lying spirit even if he didn't have to and even though later he got one of his prophets to fess.

I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate anyone saying that you shouldn't be trusted because of the above passage, assuming that you are a Christian. You would also be more unappreciative if they made some comment without any reference to support them. And even more so, if they had no context with which to understand what they were reading.

I would go further to say that no reasonable person would judge an individual soley on some religious text or group that they happen to be associated with. I would think how they personally conduct themselves in real life would be the real testimony.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #33 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 11:28pm

I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate anyone saying that you shouldn't be trusted because of the above passage ..

- Axle

I seriously couldn't care less to be brutally honest.

The fact remains .. on THIS very topic Abu has stated:

Islam supports physical discipline in extreme cases where a wife takes to rebelliousness and does not listen to her husband.

To which I responded thus:

And there you have it .. take a good hard look at it everyone ..

the practice of physically abusing another family member is masked under the euphemism and cover of  PHYSICAL DISCIPLINE

.. and under what EXTREME circumstances???

in extreme cases where a wife takes to rebelliousness and does not listen to her husband.

I rest my case.

And I hold my head up high as a proud Australian woman because I have the courage of my conviction to stand up against this type of religious institutionalisation of domestic violence.

Oh and the encouraging thing in all this???

Irrespective of what Islam states or what Abu has stated above ... THE LAW OF AUSTRALIA .. THE COUNTRY OF MY BIRTH and CITIZENSHIP PROTECTS ME AS AN AUSTRALIAN WOMAN AGAINST THIS RELIGIOUS INSTITUTIONALIZATION OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE .. and as such I am able to press charges against my "husband" and he may even be sent to prison IF he lays a finger on me.

THAT IS WHERE THIS TOPIC IS AT RIGHT NOW....

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #34 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 12:12am

PROUD AUSTRALIAN WOMAN

you are not australian shut up

this is a rightfully nordic country get lost go back to italia

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #35 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 12:20am

lisa is con the fruiterers wife

IP Logged

Axle

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 12:25am

Lisa Jones wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 11:28pm:
I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate anyone saying that you shouldn't be trusted because of the above passage ..

- Axle

I seriously couldn't care less to be brutally honest.

The fact remains .. on THIS very topic Abu has stated:

Islam supports physical discipline in extreme cases where a wife takes to rebelliousness and does not listen to her husband.

To which I responded thus:

And there you have it .. take a good hard look at it everyone ..

the practice of physically abusing another family member is masked under the euphemism and cover of  PHYSICAL DISCIPLINE

.. and under what EXTREME circumstances???

in extreme cases where a wife takes to rebelliousness and does not listen to her husband.

I rest my case.

And I hold my head up high as a proud Australian woman because I have the courage of my conviction to stand up against this type of religious institutionalisation of domestic violence.

Oh and the encouraging thing in all this???

Irrespective of what Islam states or what Abu has stated above ... THE LAW OF AUSTRALIA .. THE COUNTRY OF MY BIRTH and CITIZENSHIP PROTECTS ME AS AN AUSTRALIAN WOMAN AGAINST THIS RELIGIOUS INSTITUTIONALIZATION OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE .. and as such I am able to press charges against my "husband" and he may even be sent to prison IF he lays a finger on me.

THAT IS WHERE THIS TOPIC IS AT RIGHT NOW....

Thank you for making me fully acquainted with your stance. Now I'll give you mine.

I entered into the topic and stated that the only people who should reasonably be allowed to hold their heads high are those who do not engage in domestic violence. I would therefore say that any Muslims, Christians, Unionists, footballers  or netballers etc who do not resort to physical or verbal abuse of their partners are to be lauded. However, I would not be so unreasonable as  to assert that physical or verbal abuse has the assent of an entire religion.

I did say that I did a search on whether or not Islam condoned domestic violence. On the first page of hits there were Muslims saying that they didn't condone it with apparent reliance on their teachings.

I went on to say that probably most people if asked would denounce DV. However, the reality is that DV is rife in Australia across the board. Otherwise, I wouldn't have seen the point in the government launching an anti-domestic violence campaign if it wasn't a significant issue.

I find the fingerpointing a futile exercise. There's no point in saying one group condones it and another doesn't because the reality of it is that concrete individuals are perpetrating it in virtually all groups you care to name let alone religion.

In as far as anyone condoning physical or verbal abuse then I'm against such declarations.

I did note that Abu made a distinction. He said that  Islam condones physical discipline of wives but he himself did not. I have no reason at this point to doubt what he says about himself. I take it, therefore, if you similarly don't have any reasonable doubt about his honesty then your attack, in as far as it is on him, is without foundation.

However, in as far as his understanding of Islam is concerned you have grounds.

Now whether you have grounds in saying that DV is institutionalised within Islam. I think you might be on less solid ground.From my internet search it would appear, on a cursory glance that this view that DV is acceptable is not universally held amongst Muslims.

Therefore, at this point, I would not be resting any case against Islam as a whole. In fact, like in any group, you would expect to find a diversity of interpretations, selected references to justify any particular stances, and practices.

I think it's pointless to rail against a religion and that there is merit in looking at what any particular person does, says or condones.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2010 at 12:34am by Axle »  

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #37 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 12:40am

You ought to read posts more diligently Axle ... because in my previous post .. I know perfectly well what I said and about whom.

.... that is why Abu has fled in disgrace.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #38 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 12:50am

In as far as anyone condoning physical or verbal abuse then I'm against such declarations.

- Axle

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1287049789

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1287239342/22#22

Happy reading!
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2010 at 1:01am by Lisa Jones »  

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #39 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 1:03am

Soren captures the essence of the issue quite well here ..

Rashid the Ridiculous says on his sharia-governed Forum:

"it [domestic violenc] exists amongst all societies, and it's reprehensible, merely having a public policy condemning it does not change the obvious reality."

The point, completely over his head and over the heads of all Islamic propagandists, is that if mere public condemnation does not change behaviour, how much worse is public endorsement, which is exactly what sharia does regarding wife beating. It condones it. Is that the way to stop domestic violence - to say that it is, like a curate's egg, good in parts????

I am most pissed off by seeing that there are complete smacking ijits in our midst, Mohammedans and kuffars, who will accommodate this sort of abolutely craven soft-headedness just to apper sharia-compliant or multiculturally virtuous (often the same thing in these 'post 9/11 days' as they say.)

- Soren

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #40 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 1:06am

And Abu himself stated this .. in such very clear terms too!

Hitting need not be abusive. Parents often hit their children to discipline them, and it's usually not abusive, even when it causes bruising sometimes.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1285753174/135#137

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #41 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 7:48am

Quote:
This is not a very encouraging thread. It seems that everyone has their own uninformed opinion of what is the case. Seriously, it seems that Muslims are being held to account to a higher standard than what goes on in everyday society. Domestic violence is rife in Australia. No one group owns it or most of it. Recall the campain against it? Australia says no?

Yea well when your IQ reaches 50 you might realise the difference is MUSLIMS CONDONE THE BASHING OF WOMEN, NO other religion does, retard.

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #42 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 7:50am

aikmann4 wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 12:20am:
lisa is con the fruiterers wife

OH lol ,still flirting with lisa ,Imp,lol.

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 9:06am

Lisa is lovely!

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #44 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 11:22am

How in God's name has this topic suddenly become all about me???

Behave you lot .. esp you Imp!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22
Send Topic Print