Only if she likes it    
  1 (33.3%)
No - never ever under any circumstances    
  1 (33.3%)

Total votes: 3
« Created by: True Colours on: Jul 30th, 2013 at 8:45pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 22
Send Topic Print
wife beating in Islam (Read 85477 times)
abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Re: wife beating in Islam
Reply #15 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 7:32pm

Well said Axle.

You're 100% correct, it exists amongst all societies, and it's reprehensible, merely having a public policy condemning it does not change the obvious reality.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 7:39pm

abu_rashid wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 7:32pm:
Well said Axle.

You're 100% correct, it exists amongst all societies, and it's reprehensible, merely having a public policy condemning it does not change the obvious reality.

Abu....the distinction is that while here in Australia the Law outlaws it, within Islam the Law confirms that a Husband may beat his Wife.

[mod: enough of the profanity]

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #17 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 7:43pm

Quote:
That is domestic violence, and if you advocate it you are no better than the perpetrator.

So long as you're willing to accept smacking children is child abuse, then I'll give you this one.

Quote:
I have always stood up for you here Abu, as I think you get a hard time just because you're a Muslim...

Much appreciated skip, doesn't mean I'm going to be herded into holding the same views as you though. I think if you honestly took the time to think about what I've said, you'd not so strongly disagree. Islam does not permit domestic abuse, it permits only disciplining a wife, as it permits disciplining a child. Both are under the care and authority of the head of the family according to Islam (lack of this solid family structure in the West has actually led to far more grief for families than a little discipline has).

Obviously you'd never come to agree that the man is the head of the family, since you don't believe in that kind of family oriented society, but at least be rational about examining Islam's stance on discipline. Don't jump to conclusions and lump discipline with abuse, since they are not the same.

Quote:
if you condone domestic violence, which you obviously do

No I do not.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #18 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 7:45pm

Aussie, Islam gives the husband the right to discipline his wife and children, not to abuse them.

Your inability to distinguish between the two is only a sign of your inability to think.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 8:18pm

abu_rashid wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 7:45pm:
Aussie, Islam gives the husband the right to discipline his wife and children, not to abuse them.

Your inability to distinguish between the two is only a sign of your inability to think.

I am pretty good at thinking, I reckon.  It seems you have a problem trying to distinguish between who has the right to discipline, and the method used.  Two issues there.

Why is it (a) that the Arab Male is given the right to discipline his Wife, as opposed to the Wife disciplining him with violence providing no visible signs are left, and  (b) why is it that you Muslims want to retain/defend the notion that it is okay to beat up children?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #20 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 8:27pm

Quote:
Why is it (a) that the Arab Male is given the right to discipline his Wife

I don't remember saying anything about Arab males. In case you didn't realise the vast majority of Muslims are _not_ Arabs, and there's plenty of Arabs who are for instance Christians.

Quote:
why is it that you Muslims want to retain/defend the notion that it is okay to beat up children?

The only one here claiming it's ok to beat up children is you ya goose.

Nowhere have I stated anything of the kind. I've said a smack is allowed by Islam to discipline, not beating up. If you don't know the difference, then I'm really wasting my time even recognising you as a sentient being.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #21 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:03pm

The only people who can hold their heads high in this sort of "debate" are those who do not engage in such behaviour.

- Axle

NO!

You forgot these groups of people:

Those who do not engage in such behaviour,
Those who condemn such behaviour
Those who don't excuse or condone such behaviour!

Perhaps you may NOW be able to appreciate where MY stance on violence and abuse is coming from !!!

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #22 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:09pm

skippy. wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 12:29pm:
Quote:
Islam supports physical discipline in extreme cases where a wife takes to rebelliousness and does not listen to her husband.

That is domestic violence, and if you advocate it you are no better than the perpetrator.
I have always stood up for you here Abu, as I think you get a hard time just because you're a Muslim, but making statements like that makes me think I was wrong, you are no better, if you condone domestic violence, which you obviously do, you are a  
[mod: expletives removed, keep it clean]

And there you have it .. take a good hard look at it everyone ..

the practice of physically abusing another family member is masked under the euphemism and cover of  PHYSICAL DISCIPLINE

.. and under what EXTREME circumstances???

in extreme cases where a wife takes to rebelliousness and does not listen to her husband.

I rest my case.

And I hold my head up high as a proud Australian woman because I have the courage of my conviction to stand up against this type of religious institutionalisation of domestic violence.

In fact I abhor it and totally condemn it.

Kind regards

Lisa
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:15pm by Lisa Jones »  

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #23 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:19pm

Lisa,

Quote:
The only people who can hold their heads high in this sort of "debate" are those who do not engage in such behaviour.

- Axle

NO!

Those who do not engage in such behaviour

Well someone forgot something...  Grin

Quote:
the practice of physically abusing another family member is masked under the euphemism and cover of  PHYSICAL DISCIPLINE

When you can learn to understand the difference between abuse and discipline, perhaps then your viewpoint will have some meaning here.

Anyway, regardless, this whole topic is complete moot. Islam does not prescribe even disciplining a wife (it merely permits it as a last resort in desperate situations), and since it's against Australian law to do so, then any Muslim in Australia doing it, would be doing it outside the bounds of Islam, since Islam does not permit someone to break the law of a country they live in, if it is not for something Islam prescribes.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #24 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:27pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:09pm:
skippy. wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 12:29pm:
Quote:
Islam supports physical discipline in extreme cases where a wife takes to rebelliousness and does not listen to her husband.

I have always stood up for you here Abu, as I think you get a hard time just because you're a Muslim, but making statements like that makes me think I was wrong, you are no better, if you condone domestic violence, which you obviously do, you are a  
[mod: expletives removed, keep it clean]

And there you have it .. take a good hard look at it everyone ..

the practice of physically abusing another family member is masked under the euphemism and cover of  PHYSICAL DISCIPLINE

.. and under what EXTREME circumstances???

in extreme cases where a wife takes to rebelliousness and does not listen to her husband.

I rest my case.

And I hold my head up high as a proud Australian woman because I have the courage of my conviction to stand up against this type of religious institutionalisation of domestic violence.

In fact I abhor it and totally condemn it.

Kind regards

Lisa

Oh and the encouraging thing in all this???

Irrespective of what Islam states or what Abu has stated above ... THE LAW OF AUSTRALIA .. THE COUNTRY OF MY BIRTH and CITIZENSHIP PROTECTS ME AS AN AUSTRALIAN WOMAN AGAINST THIS RELIGIOUS INSTITUTIONALIZATION OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE .. and as such I am able to press charges against my "husband" and he may even be sent to prison IF he lays a finger on me.

Thank you!

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #25 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:36pm

Quote:
and as such I am able to press charges against my "husband" and he may even be sent to prison IF he lays a finger on me.

How about you actually find someone willing to marry you first, and then we'll take that one on board?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #26 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:47pm

How about you actually find someone willing to marry you first, and then we'll take that one on board?

- Abu

YOUR ignorance is clearly MY bliss Abu Smiley

Oh and I noticed (in passing) you weren't able to rebut anything else I stated .. then again if you had .. it would have made you look an even bigger fool I suppose.

One last thing Abu .. given YOU mentioned marriage in relation to me .. it must really be difficult for you as a Muslim male in Oz to marry anyone .. given the law of Australia clearly protects women against what Islam proudly preaches wrt to physical abuse oops physical discipline hey.

Which brings me to my question .. is that why you're not married yet Abu .. ie is it because of this inherent conflict btwn Oz law and Islam law/teaching wrt physical abuse oops physical discipline of your future wife?

IP Logged

stryder
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:52pm

wooooow, what a religion, if im correct, the koran allows muslims to lie to non muslims if it further advances there religion.

SO HOW DOES ANYONE BELIEVE A MUSLIM WITH THAT IN MIND

I guess Abu rashid has taken that to HEART,  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #28 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:57pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:47pm:

- Abu

YOUR ignorance is clearly MY bliss Abu Smiley

Oh and I noticed (in passing) you weren't able to rebut anything else I stated .. then again if you had .. it would have made you look an even bigger fool I suppose.

One last thing Abu .. given YOU mentioned marriage in relation to me .. it must really be difficult for you as a Muslim male in Oz to marry anyone .. given the law of Australia clearly protects women against what Islam proudly preaches wrt to physical abuse oops physical discipline hey.

Which brings me to my question .. is that why you're not married yet Abu .. ie is it because of this inherent conflict btwn Oz law and Islam law/teaching wrt physical abuse oops physical discipline of your future wife?

....Well Abu???

Seems you're suddenly quiet.

And that's probably the best thing you could do right now my dear friend.

Coz you've done enough damage to yourself, your reputation and that of the religion you follow for one night.

Good night and sweet dreams.

IP Logged

Axle

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 10:04pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:03pm:

- Axle

NO!

Those who do not engage in such behaviour,
Those who condemn such behaviour
Those who don't excuse or condone such behaviour!

Perhaps you may NOW be able to appreciate where MY stance on violence and abuse is coming from !!!

I haven't been here long enough to appreciate your stance. I believe I've mentioned one of those groups you've listed. The last two groups you've mentioned are fine as long as they're members of group one: those who do not engage in such behaviour, which happens to be the one I mentioned.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 22
Send Topic Print