Only if she likes it    
  1 (33.3%)
No - never ever under any circumstances    
  1 (33.3%)

Total votes: 3
« Created by: True Colours on: Jul 30th, 2013 at 8:45pm »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22
Send Topic Print
wife beating in Islam (Read 85956 times)
Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: wife beating in Islam
Reply #165 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 11:18am

Gawd .. this topic's like The Young and the Restless .. you can check back once a week and still not miss anything lmao Smiley)

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #166 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 12:54pm

jame-e wrote on Nov 10th, 2010 at 11:52pm:
What do you feel are the biggest misunderstanders the non-Muslim criticisers have of Koranic law?  

Do you wish to live under a form of Koranic Law? How does your version compare to the other active examples?

Lastly, are you progressive in some way? Do you wish to see an end to some aspects of Islamic law that are currently in practice? Do you try/want to separate you’re self from any common ideas/beliefs in Islam?

A lot of questions, please try you’re best.  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #167 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 10:37pm

Quote:
Please could you give me a link that demonstrates the basis of you're belief that he does condone 'wife beating'. it would be much appreciated.

See Abu's post immediately prior to yours. The story is that a woman complained via Muhammed's wife that her husband had beaten her until her skin was greener than the dress she wore. Muhammed did not take any action against the husband. Abu 'justifies' this by saying the wife had slandered her husband and Muhammed investigated and found this out.

In earlier posts Abu also explained that bruising your wife or child in the act of disciplining them is OK. In my opinion, the really interesting bit here is not the physical abuse he condones, but the power relationship between husband and wife that he promotes.

Quote:
Does/would Abu oppress his wife? i hope not.

My understanding is that he is not married and looks down upon wife beaters (while defining what is normally considered abuse out of existence), on the basis that you should be able to control your wife without going that far. However, he would have it effectively legalised under shariah law, and one can only speculate how he would respond peronsally in the heat of the moment, given that he views the role of the husband to discipline the wife.

That is why he cannot answer such simple questions.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #168 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 6:49am

Parenthetically, Islam is silent on the issue of the wife 'lightly' slapping the husband. Much has been made about the issue of equality in Islam so why isn't the wife allowed to administer a bit of punishment? Where is the equality that mainstream muslims trumpet?

My wife beats me but it is allowed if you are a New Age Muslim like my wife and myself.

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #169 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 8:40am

I have heard it suggested by Muslims that the wife should be able to beat her husband in return if it is found that the husband has beaten her without cause. That way everyone is happy.  Shocked Though I'm not sure if these 'wives who didn't deserve it' ever existed in practice.

IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #170 - Nov 20th, 2010 at 10:21pm

jame-e wrote on Nov 12th, 2010 at 12:54pm:
jame-e wrote on Nov 10th, 2010 at 11:52pm:
What do you feel are the biggest misunderstanders the non-Muslim criticisers have of Koranic law?  

Do you wish to live under a form of Koranic Law? How does your version compare to the other active examples?

Lastly, are you progressive in some way? Do you wish to see an end to some aspects of Islamic law that are currently in practice? Do you try/want to separate you’re self from any common ideas/beliefs in Islam?

A lot of questions, please try you’re best.  

Smiley

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #171 - Nov 20th, 2010 at 11:31pm

Sorry didn't notice these questions, which I assumed are for me?

Quote:
hat do you feel are the biggest misunderstanders the non-Muslim criticisers have of Koranic law?

There's a few.

1) The idea that Islamic law is still implemented, it is not. It ceased being implemented on March 3rd. 1924 (with the final abolition of the Ottoman Caliphate) and has not been re-implemented since. Those governments often paraded around as Islamic by the West are merely colonialist puppets, who misuse Islam to obscure their status as agents of the Western powers in front of their people.

2) The idea that Islamic law is somehow a threat to a Western secular society. Muslims have struggled to even have it re-implemented in their own lands (as is witnessed by the point above, that it's almost a century now since it was last implemented). The hysteria about Muslims forcing shari'ah law into the West is just absolute mindless garbage. Merely being able to settle family matters by tribunals, or having 'halal banks' is not shari'ah law, and only a real simpleton could ever think it was.

3) The idea that Islam is 'incompatible' with the West, and therefore Muslims cannot live in the West. Islam consists of a 3-tier structure when it comes to how it is laid out. It defines 3 relationships for the human being, and offers guidance/regulation in all 3. The first is between an individual and his creator. This relationship has no bearing on where a person lives really, since it's merely related to personal acts of worship and the like. The second relationship is between a person and themself. The way they conduct themselves, what they wear, eat, drink etc. Again doesn't really have any major impact on the society around them. The third is the relationship between a person and others, ie. societal transactions. Obviously this area does effect the way in which a person fits into a society and their relationship with the state. Religion as it's understood in the West pretty much only consists of the first two aspects, touching slightly into the third (be good to your neighbour etc). If a state were to impinge upon the rights of an individual Muslim to practice the first two aspects, then they would be required to disobey the state, but in the case of the third category, then a Muslim must abide by the laws of the state in which they reside. So in reality there is no conflict.

Quote:
How does your version compare to the other active examples?

There are 4 mainstream schools of Islamic jurisprudence and they differ very little (on the main issues). Personally I follow that of Imam ash-Shafi', but consider all 4 valid, and would have no problem living under any of them.

Quote:
How does your version compare to the other active examples?

As above, there are no active examples.

Quote:
Lastly, are you progressive in some way?

That's a pretty vague question. what exactly is meant by progressive? Will I change the laws and rules of Islam to appease others? Do I see that conditions in the world have changed and that things must adapt? Do I drive a car instead of a camel? This question needs to be defined a lot better.

Quote:
Do you wish to see an end to some aspects of Islamic law that are currently in practice?

Since I don't believe Islamic law is currently in practice, no.

Quote:
Do you try/want to separate you’re self from any common ideas/beliefs in Islam?

No. Islam is pure and perfect, and separating oneself from it would be misguidance.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #172 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 8:35pm

Quote:
2) The idea that Islamic law is somehow a threat to a Western secular society. Muslims have struggled to even have it re-implemented in their own lands (as is witnessed by the point above, that it's almost a century now since it was last implemented). The hysteria about Muslims forcing shari'ah law into the West is just absolute mindless garbage. Merely being able to settle family matters by tribunals, or having 'halal banks' is not shari'ah law, and only a real simpleton could ever think it was.

3) The idea that Islam is 'incompatible' with the West, and therefore Muslims cannot live in the West. Islam consists of a 3-tier structure when it comes to how it is laid out. It defines 3 relationships for the human being, and offers guidance/regulation in all 3. The first is between an individual and his creator. This relationship has no bearing on where a person lives really, since it's merely related to personal acts of worship and the like. The second relationship is between a person and themself. The way they conduct themselves, what they wear, eat, drink etc. Again doesn't really have any major impact on the society around them. The third is the relationship between a person and others, ie. societal transactions. Obviously this area does effect the way in which a person fits into a society and their relationship with the state. Religion as it's understood in the West pretty much only consists of the first two aspects, touching slightly into the third (be good to your neighbour etc). If a state were to impinge upon the rights of an individual Muslim to practice the first two aspects, then they would be required to disobey the state, but in the case of the third category, then a Muslim must abide by the laws of the state in which they reside. So in reality there is no conflict.

You appear to be arguing that Islam's impotence is a redeeming value. Yet you also argue it is growing stronger. Islam is only compatible while it is not implimented and muslims only follow steps 1 and 2. But it is dishonest to generalise this to pretending it is compatible with the west and no threat. can you explain to us how muslims 'should' respond to the inability to impliment Shariah law?

Quote:
Personally I follow that of Imam ash-Shafi', but consider all 4 valid, and would have no problem living under any of them.

Even Shia? Didn't you claim that malik is an apostate (=death penalty)? Or is shia not a 'main' branch?

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #173 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 11:30am

Wife beating is against the law in civilised societies we throw people in Jail for bashing women.

Quran 4:34 allows wife beating if you fear disobedience.

Click on the link to read more about Quran 4:34

www.wikiislam.net/wiki/Wife_Beating_in_Islam

Abu-
Do you think women will consider reverting to Islam after reading Quran 4:34?

If they read the fine print on the exit policy with Islam (apostasy) do you think they will be happy?

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #174 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 3:20pm

Quote:

Yes, they quite obviously do.

Quote:
If they read the fine print on the exit policy with Islam (apostasy) do you think they will be happy?

Well I read it before embracing Islam, and discussed it at length with knowledgeable Muslims, and was quite happy with it.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #175 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 4:39pm

abu_rashid wrote on Jan 21st, 2011 at 3:20pm:
Quote:

Yes, they quite obviously do.

Quote:

Well I read it before embracing Islam, and discussed it at length with knowledgeable Muslims, and was quite happy with it.

It appears Lauren Booth did not know Mohammad had a 6 yo wife listen to her response.

Wait till she finds out how old Aisha was when the marriage was consummated.

It does not sound like they told her about Quran 4.34.

Is it the muslim way to avoid answering questions and divert the topic?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjnetrFzVIQ

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #176 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 4:19pm

I see a lot of people who are 'closer' to Islam actively try to discourage discussion of the issues that get Abu so wound up, so it is no surprise to me that Lauren was completely unaware of this.

I bet she also does not know about Muhammed personally excusing wife beaters.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #177 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 2:48pm

shockresist wrote on Jul 20th, 2013 at 2:22pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 20th, 2013 at 2:15pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Jul 20th, 2013 at 2:13pm:
Discouraging the mistreatment of women was something of a theme for the prophet.

Can you explain the example of the woman being beaten until her skin was green, and Muhammed not taking any action?

Where did you read this story? Any links?

Here you go shocky, and entire thread devoted to Islamic wife beating.

freediver wrote on Oct 17th, 2010 at 6:49pm:
Abu I don't think we ever got a straight answer from you in this thread:

abu_rashid wrote on Oct 14th, 2010 at 6:56pm:
Quote:
And since when has beating your wife become non-abusive? Do Muslims have to attach a dual meaning to everything?

Hitting need not be abusive. Parents often hit their children to discipline them, and it's usually not abusive, even when it causes bruising sometimes.

Quote:
He said nothing of the abuse and he did not reprimand the husband for his actions

Yes, he was wise enough to enquire as to why.

Quote:
Therefore he allowed it

In this particular case he did not take action against the man for it, does not mean it's a permissible action. Assuming it was even abuse, which I don't think is established anyway.

When is hitting not abusive?

What are the limits (if any) placed on wife beating by Islamic law?

When Muhammed 'examined the reasons' for his comrades beating their wives until their skin turned green, what was his reason for not criticising them or taking action against them?

Can you explain the reason why it may not be permissable if it went unpunished? What is the difference?

polite_gandalf wrote on Jul 20th, 2013 at 2:13pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 20th, 2013 at 2:02pm:
Do any of those orders, rulings etc involve any example of Muhammed punishing someone for raping their wife or concubine, or even beating them?

Probably. Discouraging the mistreatment of women was something of a theme for the prophet.

Its got nothing to do with substantiating the claim that concubinage in islam must necessarily, absolutely, no question mean slave rape though.

Gandalf, can you explain how excusing a man beating his wife until her skin turned green fits in with you spiel about "Discouraging the mistreatment of women was something of a theme for the prophet"? Are you saying the Muhammed protected women the same way he protected Jews, ie they deserved their mistreatment? Perhaps it was fair punishment for the incident with the apple?

IP Logged

True Colours
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #178 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 3:20pm

Wife-beating is prevalent in many if not most cultures. It existed amongst pre-Islamic Arabs, and there was no prohibition or conditions on how a man could beat his wife.

This all changed when Prophet Muhammed established the Islamic state in Madina. The Prophet personally abhorred the mistreatment of women, so he issued an order banning husbands from beating their wives. Maybe for the first time in history a state banned men from beating their wives.

This prohibition led to disharmony amongst the Arabs, who complained to the Prophet that their women became disobedient and rebellious. The Prophet was persuaded to allow men to discipline their wives, but then God revealed to the Prophet that there should be strict conditions for it.

These conditions laid out in the Quran are that before a husband disciplines his wife he must giver her warning, and then after issuing a warning he must give up sex and leave the marital bed.

The Prophet instructed that if a beating was carried out, it should be done with a toothbrush - so that no injury should occur. What is allowed is only for a husband to show that he is severely displeased, not to cause any physical injury. Hitting on the head was also prohibited.

So the Arab world went from a free-for-all in attacking women to a situation where there were strict conditions and limitations on what could be done.

Do we find any prohibition or limitations on wife-beating in the Bible? No! In Christianity it is a free-for-all.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #179 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 3:39pm

True Colours wrote on Jul 20th, 2013 at 3:20pm:
The Prophet was persuaded to allow men to discipline their wives, but then God revealed to the Prophet that there should be strict conditions for it.

... but then....   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Now I understand why the ululate at the drop of a stick (not thicker than yer thumb, of course)!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22
Send Topic Print