Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Soaring Rents Fuel The Poverty Crisis. (Read 7403 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Soaring Rents Fuel The Poverty Crisis.
Oct 3rd, 2010 at 7:49am

Soaring rents fuel city's poverty crisis

MELBOURNE'S rental crisis has become so extreme that some low-income families have to sacrifice necessities to keep a roof over their heads.

While low-income tenants are being hit hardest, rising rents are also making it harder for average income earners to make ends meet. The median weekly rent in the metropolitan area reached $340 in March, up 5 per cent in the past year, according to the Office of Housing.

The median weekly rents for a one-bedroom flat, a two-bedroom house and a four-bedroom house are $280, $350 and $380, respectively.

Low-income households - including students, pensioners, single parents and families on the minimum wage - are spending more than 75 per cent of their income on rent, according to a new report from the Tenants Union of Victoria. About a quarter of Australian households rent.

It is generally considered that tenants spending more than 30 per cent of their income on rent are ''stressed'', but tenants union policy worker Toby Archer said the group's first Private Rental Affordability Bulletin found many households were spending more than double that figure, even with government assistance.

''Making the rent often means they have to go without the basics elsewhere,'' Mr Archer said. ''They economise by eating the cheapest food they possibly can, or … not heating the house. [They] do without things that most people would consider essential daily needs.''

The report found that a couple with two children who earn the minimum wage - plus standard family Centrelink benefits and Commonwealth Rent Assistance - will spend 38.2 per cent of their income on rent for a three-bedroom house. The picture is bleaker for single parents with one child, who will spend 70.7 per cent of their money on a two-bedroom flat, leaving $141 a week for other expenses.

Pensioners in one-bedroom flats would have to survive on $83.80 a week after paying out 77 per cent of their income on housing.

Even in Melbourne's more affordable suburbs, such as Broadmeadows, Dandenong, Ringwood, Frankston and Sunshine, low-income households are still paying up to 67.6 per cent of their income on rent.

''The fact is that if you are earning anything less than the average weekly wage, then it's a real struggle just to find and keep a place to live,'' Mr Archer said.

Amy Maughan knows all about going without. The 36-year-old single mother of two daughters, aged three and two, pays $316 rent each week for a one-bedroom South Yarra flat because it's close to family and friends. Ms Maughan, who receives no help from the girls' father, spends 55 per cent of her Centrelink pension on rent, leaving $255 a week for everything else. ''I'm constantly watching the budget, counting every dollar. It means checking the prices on canned food between different stores,'' she said. Four years ago, Ms Maughan was earning $75,000 a year working for the Northern Territory Education Department. Now, she's battling to keep a roof over her girls' heads. ''The stress is always there, knowing you're drifting further and further into poverty.''

Kate Colvin, policy and public affairs manager for the Victorian Council of Social Service, said the housing market had clearly become ''dysfunctional'' when tenants had to forgo essential items in order to pay their rent.

''You might be able to build a reserve around a very frugal food budget, pare back your daily expenses, but you're inevitably in a situation where every dollar is allocated. Sometimes [the same dollar is] allocated to more than one thing,'' she said.

The Office of Housing reports that Melbourne's median weekly rent rose by about 5.9 per cent a year over the past decade. Commonwealth Rent Assistance is indexed to inflation - but not to rises in rental costs - so tenants, especially those on low incomes, fall further behind each year.

Terry Burke, professor of housing studies at Swinburne University's Institute for Social Research, said the housing crisis was probably worse than the tenants union study suggested, because the 30 per cent threshold failed to account for differences in household size and relative expenses. For example, a single income earner on $40,000 a year is treated the same as a family of five living on $40,000.

Experts said negative gearing, a lack of rent regulation and the declining real-term value of Commonwealth Rent Assistance were fuelling the crisis.

The federal and state governments have pledged to deliver about 14,000 new properties through social and low-income housing initiatives to ease the rental squeeze. Social Housing Minister Mark Arbib's office says the government subsidises the rent of about 45 per cent of people renting privately.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Re: Soaring Rents Fuel The Poverty Crisis.
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 8:40am

I admit the first economic event I was caught out as I thought that it would be the 'big one', but I guess "herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre we go" now.
Welcome to the GREAT (HYPER) INFLATION.
Having watched some interesting Great Depression docos recently on ABC/SBS, I can't help but feel that things are gonna get tough for a lot of people.
This time around, I think there will be 'plenty of work', but I don't think people's wages will be able to afford a lot of stuff.

The Depression hit the Worker
Now the Inflation will hit the Consumer.

Remember the Bus Strike in Sydney? Anyway - Bus Drivers want a pay increase, Union enforces a Strike (consumers without buses), Bus Drivers are given a pay rise, few months later, Bus Fares rise by 30c ....so who really pays the Bus driver? Bus Driver holds out hand and says "Extra 20c for me and 10c for my Union please". Consumer Pays.

Now I tend to think that this Great Inflation is due mostly to Australia more than anything. Give and take a Mining boom and good wages. Australian culture has always existed upon the 'Working Class' more than Consumer Class.
In USA, the Consumer "is always right", can reach the dizzy heights of Celebrity.
The USA 'Worker' is not as lucky - they have low wages and have to work hard for a good 'Tip'.
Aust Workers get great wages, incentives, heaps of Public holidays, easy 'Sickies', etc.
The Aust Consumer has to buy products that are far more expensive than overseas (A scuba fin will cost $100 more here than in the USA for example), bargain hard, put up with 'Monopolysation' by Companies (Petrol is a good example), etc.

So I think this Great Inflation 'works' well with Australia compared to most. Just be careful what you BUY, because its the costs involved after you purchase that can hamstring you. Make sure you have a good paying job that has a lot of fringe benefits.
I personally make money buy not having a huge Home Loan, travel away from the city and not far, work 80% of the Public Holidays, don't buy a vehicle over $10,000, don't use Credit Cards, keep my hobbies cheap and simple, don't buy useless 'Technologies' that are out-dated in a year.
I'm sure others have good tips too ...maybe I should Thread this angle?

Smiley

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 10:46am

Quote:
Experts said negative gearing, a lack of rent regulation and the declining real-term value of Commonwealth Rent Assistance were fuelling the crisis.

The federal and state governments have pledged to deliver about 14,000 new properties through social and low-income housing initiatives to ease the rental squeeze. Social Housing Minister Mark Arbib's office says the government subsidises the rent of about 45 per cent of people renting privately.

You can blame Governments for using tax payers dollars to fuel a property bubble where speculators and investors borrow to much to buy over inflated property and then burden the tenants with the repayments.

Negative gearing should be abolished and Governments should never use tax payers money to prop up the property market and encourage speculation.

Now that interest rates are going to go up, the tenants are going to be hit further Sad

That stupid Kevin Dudd with his tripled first home buyers scam. What on earth was he thinking ?

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 10:48am

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 8:40am:
I admit the first economic event I was caught out as I thought that it would be the 'big one', but I guess "herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre we go" now.
Welcome to the GREAT (HYPER) INFLATION.
Having watched some interesting Great Depression docos recently on ABC/SBS, I can't help but feel that things are gonna get tough for a lot of people.
This time around, I think there will be 'plenty of work', but I don't think people's wages will be able to afford a lot of stuff.

I watched those too. It's amazing how history repeats and how people forget about the past and how they convince themselves that everything is different and that history won't be repeated Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 10:51am

Quote:
You can blame Governments for using tax payers dollars to fuel a property bubble where speculators and investors borrow to much to buy over inflated property and then burden the tenants with the repayments.

Not exactly. Rent will only go up to the extent that people are willing and able to pay it. Just because you paid too much for a property does not mean you can simply increase the rent to cover your bad decision. Price is governed by supply of rental properties and demand for them and you have to price your property within the market if you want it to be tennanted.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 11:05am

freediver wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 10:51am:
Quote:

Not exactly. Rent will only go up to the extent that people are willing and able to pay it. Just because you paid too much for a property does not mean you can simply increase the rent to cover your bad decision. Price is governed by supply of rental properties and demand for them and you have to price your property within the market if you want it to be tennanted.

Yeh buts that's what they try and do and when there is a shortage of rental property guess who makes the rules ? I have even heard about tenants bidding against each other to acquire a lease by paying higher rents  !!

IP Logged

djrbfm

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 11:23am

rent should be capped.
bugger the landlords.
they aren't god.
j.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 11:23am

Quote:
Yeh buts that's what they try and do and when there is a shortage of rental property guess who makes the rules ?

The rules are still the same. Someone has to be willing to pay the price you charge.

Quote:
rent should be capped.

This is actually a textbook example of how ill-considered economic policy can backfire. The Americans tried this in a couple of cities. It often made it harder for the poor to find a place. Rich people would bribe their way into a rent controlled apartment. Landlords would give preference to wealthy tennants because they pay the bills on time and they would end up doing the maintenance (even minor renovations) rather than waiting for the landlord to pay for things to get fixed.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 2:05pm

freediver wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 11:23am:
Quote:
Yeh buts that's what they try and do and when there is a shortage of rental property guess who makes the rules ?

The rules are still the same. Someone has to be willing to pay the price you charge.

They pay it because they have access to easy credit and usually own a dozen credit cards. The greedy landlords get their pound of flesh because they take advantage of the squeeze on rental accommodation.

This is bad planning by Governments. Governments want mass immigration but they don't want to spend money on infrastructure and services. They just look at immigrants as more suckers to pay taxes without worrying how and where they are going to live. And if people who have lived here all of their life now have to compete with immigrants for accommodation then it is tough titties for them and the Government couldn't give a toss Sad
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2010 at 2:11pm by Sir lastnail »  

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 2:11pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 10:46am:
Quote:

Negative gearing should be abolished and Governments should never use tax payers money to prop up the property market and encourage speculation.

Now that interest rates are going to go up, the tenants are going to be hit further Sad

That stupid Kevin Dudd with his tripled first home buyers scam. What on earth was he thinking ?

Getting rid of negative gearing would make it worse nail....not better.

Without negative gearing people wouldn't buy 2nd or 3rd housing properties, so there would be less rental properties available, not more...
Which means less houses built, so the building industry crashes and anyone who can't afford to buy would just be flat out of luck for somewhere to live.....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 2:15pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 2:11pm:
Quote:

Without negative gearing people wouldn't buy 2nd or 3rd housing properties, so there would be less rental properties available, not more...
Which means less houses built, so the building industry crashes and anyone who can't afford to buy would just be flat out of luck for somewhere to live.....

That's a classic myth mate.

No other country has such an inequitable tax policy.

The tax policy should be favouring first home owners and not property speculators. It should be for people who just want to own one joint for themselves and not some greedy speculators who want to buy a dozen or more existing joints built 100 years ago.

Using the tax system to allow people to recycle the same old junk properties is not helping the accommodation shortages. If anything it should be limited to brand new house and land packages only. If sepculators don't want to buy that then tough luck !!

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 2:21pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 2:15pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 2:11pm:
Quote:

That's a classic myth mate.

No other country has such an inequitable tax policy.

The tax policy should be favouring first home owners and not property speculators.

Using the tax system to allow people to recycle the same old junk properties is not helping the accommodation shortages. If anything it should be limited to brand new house and land packages only. If sepculators don't want to buy that then tough luck !!

No it's not....Without the negative gearing tax breaks, anyone who owns a rental property would either lose the difference between rent and mortgage payments, or have to such a high rent to cover the mortgage payments that no one could afford to rent.....
Which would defeat the purpose of buying the rental property.....

The tax system DOES favour first home buyers.....but what about all those people without the savings or income to pay a mortgage.....

Kids just leaving home, single parents with minimum wage jobs ( or trying to live on parenting payments until the child starts school), retired couples, disabled people etc.......where would they live????

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #12 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 3:01pm

Get rid of negative gearing and house prices will plummet..thus more young people will be able to afford to buy..
House prices went through the roof and first home buyers were pushed out of the market as soon as Howard bought back negative gearing.
Rents will go down because house prices will fall..and if they dont..to bad because people wont have to rent if they can afford to buy their own houses  Smiley

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #13 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 3:04pm

Negative gearing is just another example of Howards inflationary tax policies and part of his inflationary obsession with middle class welfare.

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #14 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 3:05pm

adelcrow wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 3:01pm:
Get rid of negative gearing and house prices will plummet..thus more young people will be able to afford to buy..
House prices went through the roof and first home buyers were pushed out of the market as soon as Howard bought back negative gearing.
Rents will go down because house prices will fall..and if they dont..to bad because people wont have to rent if they can afford to buy their own houses  Smiley

Umm ok....so who will OWN the rental properties???
And who will build the NEW homes/apartments for people to buy???

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print