Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Afghanistan War A Great Lie, Says Wilkie. (Read 550 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Afghanistan War A Great Lie, Says Wilkie.
Sep 30th, 2010 at 2:17pm

Afghanistan war a 'great lie': Wilkie

Independent Andrew Wilkie has launched a savage attack on Australia's Afghan war, calling it "a great lie" peddled by both sides of politics.

The former intelligence analyst said the West confronts a dreadful dilemma, which will end in disaster, in Afghanistan.

Mr Wilkie, who won the previously safe Tasmanian Labor seat of Denison, turned his first speech to parliament into an emotional attack on Australia's military campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan.

He also pleaded for curbs on poker machines and more help for people with mental health problems.

Mr Wilkie said his politics was rooted in the 2003 invasion of Iraq, when he resigned from the Office of National Assessments to go public on how the Howard government "spun, skewed, fabricated and cherry-picked the intelligence to prop up their case for war".

He said the Iraq war's architects had no care for the consequences.

"There's no chance of them or any of their loved ones lying in the chill desert night air paralysed with fear, or being gutted alive by razor-sharp shrapnel, or losing a foot or worse from a mine or cluster bomblet, or having the flesh burned from their bones as they sit trapped in their blazing vehicles," he said.

Mr Wilkie said the focus had shifted from Iraq to Afghanistan where the international community, including Australia, confronted a dreadful dilemma.

"On the one hand it could walk away from the seemingly inevitable disaster that would unfold," he said.

"Or it can stay and fight, as it plans to, in the hope of somehow avoiding a different but equally inevitable disaster."

Mr Wilkie said it didn't have to be like this, with an opportunity lost when the US virtually withdrew to prepare for the Iraq invasion.

The one bright spot, that Afghanistan no longer exports Islamic extremism, is dulled by the fact that the extremists have crossed the border into Pakistan.

Moreover, the Islamic terrorist threat morphed years ago into a global network independent of one leader or safe haven.

"That we must stay in Afghanistan to protect Australia from terrorism is a great lie peddled by both the government and opposition," he said.

Both parties seemed to think Australia's involvement is somehow a measure of the strength of its relationship with the US.

"Neither seems to understand that Canberra would be at less risk of being taken for granted in Washington if sometimes we just said 'No'," he said.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Re: Afghanistan War A Great Lie, Says Wilkie.
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 10:09pm

Meantime, apparently the purportedly cost-conscious Libs wanna waste more $$$ by sending more troops...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/30/3025617.htm

Quote:
Coalition wants more troops for Afghanistan

Posted Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:00am AEST

The Federal Opposition says it wants the Government to send an extra 360 troops to Afghanistan.

The Coalition says the Government is ignoring the pleas of soldiers in Afghanistan who say they are under-resourced.

The Opposition is particularly concerned with claims from a frontline soldier that the death of Lance Corporal Jared McKinney last month could have been avoided if better support was available.

Opposition defence spokesman David Johnston says more tanks, helicopters and 360 more troops are needed.

"Such support would be in the nature of a signal squadron, engineer squadron, cavalry squadron, gun regiment and elements of armour and aviation," he said.

"I am advised that these additions would add substantial and immediate support capability to our soldiers in Afghanistan. These additions would require the deployment of a further 360 personnel."

The Opposition denies it is acting prematurely by calling for more troops before the inquiry into Corporal McKinney's death has concluded.

Mr Johnston says the inquiry is taking too long and the Government must act now.

"Jared McKinney was killed in action on the 24th of August. How long does it take?" he said.

"This matter surfaced last week. There's been a month-and-a-half gone by.

"I've got to tell you, somebody here is utterly asleep at the wheel, and I'm not prepared to sit back and see our fellows fight a three-and-a-half hour battle and then complain they haven't had proper support."

The Government says Opposition Leader Tony Abbott needs to explain the reasons why his party is calling for more Australian troops in Afghanistan.

The Government argues troop numbers are adequate and Prime Minister Julia Gillard says Mr Abbott should quickly clarify the Coalition's position.

"I presume he will announce that his reason for it, what if any advice he's taken in relation to it, and spell it out in a great deal of detail for the Australian people," she said.

Australia has about 1,500 troops in Afghanistan and the Government says it has no plans to increase the number.

Abbott flagged this intention back in April - is this something that the Libs budgeted for in their pre-election costings!?

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 4:45am

australia would be well served to distance itself from US foreign

policy

namaste

all are forgiven unconditionally

-:)

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

creativename

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 2:55pm

I'm absolutely stunned by the way in which both the media and the Australian foreign policy makers are analysing the precariousness of the current Australian soldiers position in Afghanistan. And its the same stunt they have pulled off for years in the interest of U.S. relations. Instead of the media contemplating the fundamental idea of withdrawl of australian troops from afghanistan, in order to increase their conditions altogether, the media with their typical scrutiny of objectivity, likely from the sway of their manufacturing consent, postulate the idea that in order to make things better for the war (and more specifically for the troops) - whether this idea has been considered with any political or historical relevance at all - is to increase the support for troops, as opposed to my original idea of complete withdrawl. It's fairly obvious why this is the case. although they claim so, the australian government and the opposition never consider all sides of the debate. all they consider is how things can be played differently in order to support US foreign policy. they are focused on playing the game but never questioning why the  game is played in the first place, irrespective of the fact that opinion polls are generally showing that 60-70% of the population is opposed to the war. What does this mean for Democracy in Australia???....

IP Logged

dontworry

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 9:15pm

The American’s are already stocking weapons and preparing for battle. I don’t think the reality of September 11 hit home base with all the rednecks out there.  No doubt just like the words of Ahmadinejad the other week at the U.N General Assembly in New York, 'The discriminatory capitalist system is failing'. The economy is not recovering. Not now, not ever. The systematic failure is inevitable with irrefutable mathematics proving this exact case.

What did you expect from a world such as ours? I mean here we are in Australia the fortunate ones. I think personally many native Australians lack personal cultural experience from other much poorer nations to truly comprehend our lucky we actually are. I mean our materialistic culture is absolutely disgraceful. People paying hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for a 2cent tag on a piece of clothing made with the same material you find in a gutter. Individuality, you know how it is, empty attention seeking human beings these days going out of their own way to be different. Sadly they forget that it’s the very fact that they all seek to be different is what makes them all the same. They aren’t the ones at fault, its society that chooses everything from their beliefs to their basic characteristics as a human being.

The current Australian government insisting we are in Afghanistan to avoid another incident such as September 11 is unacceptable. We must be better than this, we must have more integrity than this.
So I ask, what are we going to do about this situation here? I hope we have a bit more intelligence than to endorse stashing weapons.
This cannot go on.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 11:23pm

The USA led Anglo-Saxon Empire never wanted to 'End' the War in Afghanistan ...just sustain it.

Anyway, should Australian Soldiers be doing something more constructive with their time ...like shoot all those idiots (drug dealers, bikies, thugs, etc) who shoot innocent people upon our city streets.
I believe only the military should have guns.
If Farmers need pests to be shot - then hire an Aussie Soldier!

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print