Send Topic Print
Consan. (Read 41752 times)
abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Re: Consan.
Reply #135 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 6:56pm

Quote:
And since when has beating your wife become non-abusive? Do Muslims have to attach a dual meaning to everything?

Hitting need not be abusive. Parents often hit their children to discipline them, and it's usually not abusive, even when it causes bruising sometimes.

Quote:
He said nothing of the abuse and he did not reprimand the husband for his actions

Yes, he was wise enough to enquire as to why.

Quote:
Therefore he allowed it

In this particular case he did not take action against the man for it, does not mean it's a permissible action. Assuming it was even abuse, which I don't think is established anyway.

Quote:
I'm sure you're aware that even the prophets silence on matters is important.

Yes, but he wasn't silent on it. He did not ignore her complaint, he investigated why it occurred.

Quote:
I hope you realize that you have just justified abuse in Islam as a legitimate practice.

I fail to see how.

Quote:
And you should also agree that the onus is on whoever disagrees with a sahih narration to prove its fault, and even one sahih narration is enough to form a part of shari'ah.

Singular narrations with no corroborating evidence can be used in some circumstances, not in all. Regardless, you've made a pretty poor attempt at supporting your claims the prophet (pbuh) permitted beating women until they're green, let alone on whether or not the source itself is authentic.

Quote:
Anyone who agrees that “Islam only permits a disciplinary reprimand with a toothstick”.

Which Muslims here claim that?

Quote:
Its you who does not  comprehend the term. Argumentum ad hominem is an "argument against the man".

Yes, and nowhere did I make an argument against you personally.

Quote:
Are you also aware that if sexual intercourse has not taken place, then the payment must be returned to the man?

Yes if the marriage is not consummated, then it is not fully considered to have been a marriage.

Not an idea unique to Islamic society, many cultures have reckoned the same kinda thing... Strangely enough.

"Thus in some Western traditions, a marriage is not considered a binding contract until and unless it has been consummated." (Wikipedia: Consummation)

Quote:
Mahr is for all intents and purposes a payment for the use of your wifes vagina.

This is just garbage. Are you insinuating dowries are payment for use of genitals??? What kind of ridiculous claim is this?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Jibreel

Australian Politics

Reply #136 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 7:35pm

abu_rashid wrote on Oct 14th, 2010 at 6:56pm:
Hitting need not be abusive.

In my opinion (and according to many others) physically disciplining anyone is abuse, even when done to a child.

Quote:
Parents often hit their children to discipline them, and it's usually not abusive, even when it causes bruising sometimes.

So the status of a women in a Muslim household is lowered to that of a child.

Maybe Muslims should stop claiming there is equality between the sexes in Islam? At the very least you should provide others with your faulty definition of equality.

Quote:
In this particular case he did not take action against the man for it, does not mean it's a permissible action.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself. We've covered this several times.

Quote:
Assuming it was even abuse, which I don't think is established anyway.

Already covered. Others will just have to decide for themselves

Quote:
I fail to see how.

You've just said “he was wise enough to enquire as to why” and  “He did not ignore her complaint, he investigated why it occurred”. Meaning you understand the situation justified the husbands actions.

Quote:
Singular narrations with no corroborating evidence can be used in some circumstances, not in all. Regardless, you've made a pretty poor attempt at supporting your claims the prophet (pbuh) permitted beating women until they're green, let alone on whether or not the source itself is authentic.

I don't think its poor . I think I explained myself pretty well, but I suppose that's down to whoever reads them to decide. And the source is sahih. Regardless of how it may be applied to shari'ah, to the best of our knowledge that incident occurred and it doesn't put Muhammad and the treatment of women in a good light.

Quote:

I thought it was you near the beginning of this thread, but I've only had a cursory read of this thread, and it doesn't really matter.

Quote:
Yes, and nowhere did I make an argument against you personally.

I'm not going to even justify this with an explanation. Please read up on logical fallacies. I'm sure most here are aware of what constitutes ad hominem.

Quote:
Yes if the marriage is not consummated, then it is not fully considered to have been a marriage.

Not an idea unique to Islamic society, many cultures have reckoned the same kinda thing... Strangely enough.

Tu quoque, and why do I care what westerners think? They're misguided kaafir, but shari'ah is from Allah.

Quote:
This is just garbage. Are you insinuating dowries are payment for use of genitals??? What kind of ridiculous claim is this?

Its your texts that insinuates this. Don't shoot the messenger.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #137 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 7:39pm

Hitting need not be abusive. Parents often hit their children to discipline them, and it's usually not abusive, even when it causes bruising sometimes.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1285753174/135#137

- Abu

Could someone frame this post please???

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #138 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 8:22pm

Quote:
Abuse means to use something in an incorrect manner, usually so it becomes damaged...

So how badly do you have to beat your wife for her to become damaged, according to Islam?

Quote:
No, but contrary to you, I am not attempting to derive my own backyard fatwa from it either.

This is true. You are going to great lengths to avoid offering your own opinion.

Quote:
If you had even a fraction of the knowledge about Islam as you really should have to be commenting the way you are, then you'd know.

How much knowlege must one have before commenting?

Quote:
Nothing gives me more right to comment

You seem to be contradicting your other statement, quoted above. Can you clarify? If we were living under Islamic law, how would we be punished for speaking out of turn?

Quote:
Bruising does not necessitate abusing.

Abu are you saying men are allowed to bruise their wives?

Quote:
But there's nothing even in the hadith to indicate he allowed it.

Yes there is. I can't see any other rational interpretation. They complained about being beaten. Muhammed took no action. Even you are claiming it was 'justified'.

Quote:
The woman was committing a crime against him also by slandering him, and so it seems they were considered to be "fair and square".

Again you contradict yourself. If he didn't allow it, why also claim it was fair?

Quote:
In fact the manner in which she was brought to the Prophet (pbuh) indicated she was going to be vindicated for her ordeal. But when it was discovered she was also guilty, then she lost her right to complain.

So Islam forbids wife beating, but only if the wife has never done anything wrong?

Quote:
Yes it is, in certain circumstances.

What circumstances allow wife beating?

Quote:
So you're saying it's permitted, yet it's abhorrent to any sane minded individual?

I think he is implying that Islam is abhorrent to any sane person.

Quote:
The Quran clearly states that a man must live with a woman in kindness - beating a woman until she's 'green' can hardly be called kindness in anyone's book.

And yet even Abu the great deflector now admits that Islam allows wie beating under 'appropriate' circumstances. Do you have any idea what circumstances?

Quote:
Abu hasn't backpedalled once.

What do you call it when someone claims Islam forbids wife beating, then starts hinting at circumstances where it is permitted?

Quote:
He clarifies what he meant because you keep misunderstanding him.

Yes that is a nice change from refusing to answer any questions.

Quote:
Just so others are aware. The Islamic definition of "consent" is different. A virgins silence is her consent.

So a young girl can end up married without ever actually agreeing to it?

Quote:
Some people said, "If a man, by playing a trick, presents two false witnesses before the judge to testify that he has married a matron with her consent and the judge confirms his marriage, and the husband is sure that he has never married her (before), then such a marriage will be considered as a legal one and he may live with her as husband." (Sahih Bukhari Volume 9, Book 86, Number 100)

Can someone explain this please? Is it saying a man may forge his way into marriage?

Quote:

What about wives abu? When is that permitted? Does the wife have the same status as a child?

Quote:
Assuming it was even abuse, which I don't think is established anyway.

If hitting your wife until she is 'green' is not abuse, what is?

Quote:
Regardless, you've made a pretty poor attempt at supporting your claims the prophet (pbuh) permitted beating women until they're green, let alone on whether or not the source itself is authentic.

But abu, you yourself admitted that it is allowed.

Quote:

Abu you have made the toothstick claim yourself. Were you attempting to decieve us by implying that was the extent of permitted beating when you knew otherwise?

Quote:
Maybe Muslims should stop claiming there is equality between the sexes in Islam? At the very least you should provide others with your faulty definition of equality.

I agree. It is hard to imagin how Abu might justify the claim of equality.

Quote:

Abu, are you claiming those texts to be garbage?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print