I am far right    
  4 (12.1%)
I am far left    
  3 (9.1%)

Total votes: 33
« Created by: mellie on: Sep 18th, 2010 at 3:37pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
This boards political slant 2010 (Read 5397 times)
mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
This boards political slant 2010
Sep 18th, 2010 at 3:37pm

I am a centre-right , and chose to back Abbott this election, given I believe he is the better of the pick, is more grass-roots and willing to uphold our nations sovereignty, culture, and sense of identity, autonomy.. My political slant is centre right conservative. ... So I would call myself fundamentally a Coalition supporter, though if someone like turn-coat  the republican Malcolm Turnbull entrepreneur lead the party, I wouldn't be inclined to back the Libs.

I ignorantly voted Rudd back in 2007.... because I wasn't impressed with Howard not standing aside for Costello.

Smiley This is my political slant.

Ps, you can vote for more than one option, I voted two. Meaning I cast two votes.

Had I voted on this poll, 2007, I would have marked the middle centrist option...  though political views change, as do people.

I just want to get some idea of voting trends, this and how people see themselves in a political context.

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: This boards political slant 2010
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 3:56pm

Well, this surprises me *choke*...with respects to how many people out there are willing to defend one party or the other, yet are unwilling to state their own political slant openly and honestly.

This or are even willing to state why it is they believe in supporting the party they do.

Interesting.

Roll Eyes...A sure sign of cowardice.... I guess trolls have no real agenda other than to flame those with a cause/conviction afterall.

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 3:58pm

To the individual who voted far-left, could you tell me what it is that motivates your stance, I wont shoot you down, it's just I'm genuinely interested to know what philosophically motivates different people to vote in accordance with how they do.

Want to understand the method to both sides madness.

Smiley

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 4:02pm

mellie wrote on Sep 18th, 2010 at 3:56pm:
Well, this surprises me *choke*...with respects to how many people out there are willing to defend one party or the other, yet are unwilling to state their own political slant openly and honestly.

This or are even willing to state why it is they believe in supporting the party they do.

Interesting.

Roll Eyes...A sure sign of cowardice.... I guess trolls have no real agenda other than to flame those with a cause/conviction afterall.

None of the options quite fit me, but of the ones available Centrist will have to do.

I must say, having looked at a few of your posts, I wouldn't have picked you as a centrist!

Btw, I would have thought after waiting only 19 minutes it is a bit quick to be casting aspersions on the courage of others on these boards!

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 4:14pm

perceptions_now wrote on Sep 18th, 2010 at 4:02pm:
mellie wrote on Sep 18th, 2010 at 3:56pm:

Interesting.

None of the options quite fit me, but of the ones available Centrist will have to do.

I must say, having looked at a few of your posts, I wouldn't have picked you as a centrist!

Btw, I would have thought after waiting only 19 minutes it is a bit quick to be casting aspersions on the courage of others on these boards!

Fair enough...and right you are...I'm probably more a centrist at heart, though voted centre-right this year given the available options and serious concern with respects to our failing sovereignty, identity and culture.

I think the older I get, I'm leaning more right, (becoming more conservative)... though who knows..if a more centrist alternative arrived, I'd probably be right there with it.

Smiley

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 4:32pm

Oh, and I'm possibly a little impatientist also... Wink

Sorry, I think this comes with age too...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Philby

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 4:44pm

Dunno whether any of those options fits me. I'm definitely conservative however I believe that we need to be good stewards of the planet we have been given to look after. It is there for our use and not misuse. I believe in very very limited government. So I dunno where that puts me.

Putting anyone in a right of centre pigeon hole seems too much like calling them something like a nazi.Then again if one pigeon holes someone into left of centre then that raises the spectre of Marxism.

I'm thinking that may be why no one will commit to being one thing or another. Lots of colours to the political rainbow I guess.

IP Logged

hawil
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 5:29pm

Does it really matter which way a voter leans, the government is not democratic but pluralistic, and that goes for both major parties.
Now which group of retirees will Lindsey Tanner one day become? And he was once a Union Rep.
But then, did not Bob Hawke so famously said, "No Politician or ex-politician shall live in poverty.
The article “Government does not help the rich get richer” AFR 18’th Aug.2010 page 33 should not go unchallenged.

Take retiree: 1)
Worked for 45 years and paid taxes, but did not accumulate enough assets to be completely independent of the age-pension. For every dollar of extra income for him and his wife above $6,500, the couple loses $0.50 of age pension, and if their income exceeds $45,000 per annum, the couple will pay tax of $0.315 in the dollar including medicare levy, leaving them with an income of $0.185 from every dollar extra income. For the defined benefit income a 10% tax-offset applies if paid from an Australian super fund, but not if the income comes from an overseas fund.

Retiree 2)
Has accumulated assets of $1.5million and the assets are in a so-called taxed Self Managed Super Fund. To be very conservative, the assets are in a term deposit earning 7.0% income of $122,500 per annum and even if the retiree is single, he/she will not pay a cent of tax.
Now if the assets are in fully franked shares, like banks and return $100,000 worth of franked dividends, he/she will again pay no tax on the dividend, and the government will send him/her a cheque of $30,000 for the franking credits.

Retiree 3)
Is an ex-politician or highly paid public servant, in receipt of a defined benefit pension of $100,000, on which he/she will have to pay tax, but he/she gets a 10% tax offset, which equals %10,000 after reaching retirement age, but before retiring, the public servant can establish a SMSF and contribute into it extra with tax concessions if the $25,000 total for under fifty and $50,000, if over fifty is not exceeded and in addition he/she can contribute $150,000 from after tax income, and the earnings from the SMSF will only attract 15% tax, and when the person reaches the age of 60 even the income will be completely tax-free from the SMSF.

What Ken Henry should have recommended is, abolish all tax concessions for super, abolish the means test for the age pension so that even millionaires get the full pension, but then the retirees should pay the same tax as do the workers.

IP Logged

moof

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 10:02pm

Quote:
though voted centre-right this year given the available option

Mellie, if you wanted to vote centre right perhaps you should have voted ALP.

Interesting that the first 3 replies to Mellie's posts are usually from Mellie. If you talk to yourself long enough someone might hear you.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #9 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 10:37pm

think of myself as marginally right on economic matters and further to the left on social and environment (not that environment should be a left issue).

I most often support the right of centre Labor group.

Of the Liberals I feel that the small "l" Liberals are a step further right than this and the more conservative are more to the extreme end of the scale. When you consider that the small "l" liberals are virtually outcasts in the party and that the more conservative element have been in full control for over a decade it is difficult to concider the Liberals to be only a centre right party.

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #10 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 11:33pm

moof wrote on Sep 18th, 2010 at 10:02pm:
Quote:
though voted centre-right this year given the available option

Mellie, if you wanted to vote centre right perhaps you should have voted ALP.

Interesting that the first 3 replies to Mellie's posts are usually from Mellie. If you talk to yourself long enough someone might hear you.

Labor are too far left...  plus they have pimples.

Green-sticks on economical matters.

Old Labor were OK, but this new labor movement even has my semi-retired neighbour, (who was once a vehement Labor supporter)  lost for words this election.

I don't think anyone recognises this new-Labor movement...not even Labor....  lost it's way, found it's way, Rudds gone, Rudds back...Garrett ...Penny Wong.....offering Turncoat a job....holly hell...is there anyone they haven't offered a position in their cabinet?

They must be due for another semi-retired celebrity.

I blame wacky Latham, I think he started the psychosis.

Roll Eyes Smart but a nut.

I reckon he'd be a fantastic lover though....  like sleeping with 10 different people in one night.

Complete with wardrobe change...  Cheesy *cringe*

IP Logged

BobH

Reply #11 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 9:52am

What do you call someone who is a free-market fundamentalist, non-interventionist, civil libertarian and republican? That's neither right nor left according to modern Australian definitions. Because I'm about as far right as you can go on taxes and the economy, but as far left as you can go on drugs and sex. I guess I'm not right-wing or left-wing but nut-wing. I'll go with that. I'm on the nut-wing, and proud of it. So I guess I have to tick both far-right and far-left.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print