What are you reading (Read 6717 times)
mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: What are you reading
Reply #15 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 1:08pm

darkhall67 wrote on Oct 26th, 2010 at 10:15am:
Just finished "A Fraction of the Whole" by Steve Tolz.

http://www.penguin.com.au/afractionofthewhole/

Brilliantly funny book and now firmly placed in my top ten.

Looks interesting Darkhall.

Smiley

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #16 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 1:15pm

mellie wrote on Oct 26th, 2010 at 1:07pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Oct 26th, 2010 at 12:35pm:
It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Oct 26th, 2010 at 9:58am:
The BIG question is to all you Book Lovers.

With E-Book Sales outstripping conventional Book (paper) Sales
are you guys/gals gonna change your ways and 'convert',
like from Record to Disc to Ipod and VHS to DVD, etc ???

No I don't think I will Jasign.....

It's kind of hard to read an E-Book while lying in bed, or sitting in a recliner in the loungeroom....or lying in a hammock in the backyard....

Besides, I like to be able to 'hold' the item......and see it on the book shelf..

Good question, and from a readers point of view, no, I personally savour my nightly ritual of reading books in bed exhausting my brain to the point of stupor, .... then turning off my lamp and dozing off to sleep. In fact, I have trouble falling asleep unless I read upon retiring.

I have books (a book or two and the daily paper) at my kitchen table to feast over during breakfast, a miniature book shelf in my toilet, I appear to have inherited off my father, (only his is more of a magazine wrack, as he carts the same book with him from room to room wherever he goes)  ... I could be reading as many as 3 or four books at once, usually of a different genre, though, and find there's just something about the smell of either really old, or brand new books.  

Given there are just some places you cant/shouldn't take your lap-top...ie, toilet, bath, beach, fishing, travelling, doctors waiting rooms , whilst having pap-smears, driving,  etc etc... I think there will always be a market for print.
Wink
Admittedly, I probably wouldn't buy the paper at all if I could grab the cryptic crossword off the web each day.

It's the only reason I still buy the paper in fact, and even then ... it's not every day, more like every other day these days.

Now from a writers/authors point of view, I think we need to embrace a diverse market now that more and more people are opting for online books, even audio-books these days.

Burn my soul, but not my books.

Tongue

Well I do not now, and never have, even owned a laptop.....so it makes E-Books a problem...

On the subjects of souls......I sold mine years ago....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 2:51pm

I could be reading as many as 3 or four books at once, usually of a different genre, though, and find there's just something about the smell of either really old, or brand new books.

Wow! I just read one book at a time. I need to devote myself to the experience which you cannot do if you have more than one book on the go.

I'm currently finishing off Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis. Excellent book. No wonder it won the Pulitzer Prize. My next read will be Nocturnes by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Quote:
Given there are just some places you cant/shouldn't take your lap-top...ie, toilet, bath, beach, fishing, travelling, doctors waiting rooms , whilst having pap-smears, driving,  etc etc... I think there will always be a market for print.

Why use a laptop when there are excellent e-readers available such as The Kindle. No glare you see. Reads just like a book. The only problem with all this is that not all books, particularly literary books are available for e-readers. So, whilst I look forward to buying a Kindle, I shall wait until there are more quality books available.

Quote:
Now from a writers/authors point of view, I think we need to embrace a diverse market now that more and more people are opting for online books, even audio-books these days.

From a writers/ authors point of view, I think we need to embrace the decision of our publisher who will decide if the latest offering is to go to print, e-published or both. Of course, if you do not want the copyright limitations entailed in publishing houses, you could always publish yourself via itunes etc... 

What do you write Mellie?

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #18 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 8:23pm

a lot of Australian Writers are finding that if they wish to be published, they need to "sell-out" to UK/USA desires and not just converting to feet, miles and "jail". Others don't sell out, but find they have to more or less find a Garage Publisher and go out and "sell"/market their books themselves.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 1:19pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Oct 26th, 2010 at 8:23pm:
a lot of Australian Writers are finding that if they wish to be published, they need to "sell-out" to UK/USA desires and not just converting to feet, miles and "jail". Others don't sell out, but find they have to more or less find a Garage Publisher and go out and "sell"/market their books themselves.

A lot of Australian Writers need to come to terms with the fact that there writing is not that good in comparison to others in their genre and that this is why they do not get quality publishers. It's a highly competitive market out there, with a glut of mediocre writers seeking to become authors.

Selling out... which I assume means turning to formulaic pulp fiction for the masses, is often the only way for ordinary writers to go. 

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #20 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:01am

Sappho wrote on Oct 26th, 2010 at 2:51pm:
I could be reading as many as 3 or four books at once, usually of a different genre, though, and find there's just something about the smell of either really old, or brand new books.

Wow! I just read one book at a time. I need to devote myself to the experience which you cannot do if you have more than one book on the go.

I'm currently finishing off Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis. Excellent book. No wonder it won the Pulitzer Prize. My next read will be Nocturnes by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Quote:

Why use a laptop when there are excellent e-readers available such as The Kindle. No glare you see. Reads just like a book. The only problem with all this is that not all books, particularly literary books are available for e-readers. So, whilst I look forward to buying a Kindle, I shall wait until there are more quality books available.

Quote:

From a writers/ authors point of view, I think we need to embrace the decision of our publisher who will decide if the latest offering is to go to print, e-published or both. Of course, if you do not want the copyright limitations entailed in publishing houses, you could always publish yourself via itunes etc...  

What do you write Mellie?

I like variety, though I do separate my eggs, don't place them in the one basket.

I compartmentalise, and usually read more or less supplementary texts to complement whatever I'm reading, depending on the depth/nature of the book I'm reading at the time, and weather or not it's fiction/non-fiction ...eg, when I was reading Dan Browns -The lost Symbol, I was also reading
-Signs & Symbols - Beryl Dhanjal
and..
-Cracking the Freemasons Code 'The truth About Solomon's Key And The Brotherhood' by Robert L.D. Cooper ; world authority on Freemasonry, (The title of this book is cryptic in itself)...
-And was also reviewing the Secret Doctrine both vol 1 and 2.

I more or less read a few at a time because I find I need to for leisure research purposes... Kinda like keeping a dictionary with you to do the cryptic crossword of a morning I guess.  

When I read books, I like to delve deeply into what it is I'm reading, this and want to understand every single little aspect,   likewise when I'm reading political memoirs and biographies etc... It helps with keeping it in perspective, having more than one string to your bow when reading certain works.

I call it complimentary/supplementary reading.

Smiley...  What do I write myself?

I had better not say, for the last time I did, Skippy accused me of being boastful...sharing too much .....

So, I shall abstain.

Cheers.

Smiley

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #21 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:29am

Sounds all good Mellie,

I'm a bit more like that myself (maybe we are related Shocked Grin), though I've never gone into the recent popularity of Dan Brown and Co, as I worked 'that stuff' and 'everything else' out years ago ...thanks mostly to Joseph Campbell and Co.
<in the end, its all quite silly really>

I'm almost about to start pouring out my own writing, just a bit more reading (research) and Foruming to get in the moooooooooooood, and then then I'm underway.
But.
I still wonder if 'Writing alone' is the way to go, considering the World's best Innovation Company (IDEO) state in their book that "nothing is really achieved by a solitary person". So I wonder if I should somehow become part of a Writing Pond (Literary version of a Music Band) with 3-5 other people ...for both Fun, Arguements, Motivation, Support and everything else that such can offer. There are books that have been written in this way, although they come under one person's name mostly (Like Einstein, Edison, etc Grin) - though I'm sure a Writing Pond can come up with a 'shared' group name to go with.
Look at the Book Show on ABC, it has Andrew Dentons partner (? Byrne) and 4 other guests to get things interesting.
If I was to write alone, it would be for me alone and something 'I' would find great. But it won't sell, etc ...but I think with others it would come through the KISS philosophy well and SELL, SELL, SELL !!!

Anyway, anyone wishing to join a Writing Pond and bring their unique individual quality and effort into the creation of a Book (which is harder to succeed these days more so) towards an eventual 'marketable' endeavour with other people who have something 'different' to offer.
Let me know Wink Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #22 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:41am

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:29am:
Sounds all good Mellie,

I'm a bit more like that myself (maybe we are related Shocked Grin), though I've never gone into the recent popularity of Dan Brown and Co, as I worked 'that stuff' and 'everything else' out years ago ...thanks mostly to Joseph Campbell and Co.
<in the end, its all quite silly really>

I'm almost about to start pouring out my own writing, just a bit more reading (research) and Foruming to get in the moooooooooooood, and then then I'm underway.
But.
I still wonder if 'Writing alone' is the way to go, considering the World's best Innovation Company (IDEO) state in their book that "nothing is really achieved by a solitary person". So I wonder if I should somehow become part of a Writing Pond (Literary version of a Music Band) with 3-5 other people ...for both Fun, Arguements, Motivation, Support and everything else that such can offer. There are books that have been written in this way, although they come under one person's name mostly (Like Einstein, Edison, etc Grin) - though I'm sure a Writing Pond can come up with a 'shared' group name to go with.
Look at the Book Show on ABC, it has Andrew Dentons partner (? Byrne) and 4 other guests to get things interesting.
If I was to write alone, it would be for me alone and something 'I' would find great. But it won't sell, etc ...but I think with others it would come through the KISS philosophy well and SELL, SELL, SELL !!!

Anyway, anyone wishing to join a Writing Pond and bring their unique individual quality and effort into the creation of a Book (which is harder to succeed these days more so) towards an eventual 'marketable' endeavour with other people who have something 'different' to offer.
Let me know Wink Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

I will look into a writing-pond, I have never heard of it...sounds interesting.

Lol, and you are not going to let up on the possibly being related thingy are you, yu bugger, you certainly have my attention, that's for sure.

Wink..  Are we bloody well related or not....SHEESH!!!

Cheesy

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #23 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:48am

And re- Dan Brown, ....  I'm not into it's fictional qualities,(grail etc)  It's just I have a profound interest in cyphers, cryptics and symbology, and have so well before Dan Brown made his mark.

...Before I had even heard of Dan Brown.

My love affair with cryptics started when I was a child, I would write secret cyphers for my friends and pass notes to peers in class.

I think most kids do/did... it's just I never grew out of it.... Wink

I love codes.

Smiley

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #24 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 9:00am

Ahh, I get you now.
Then you would have loved doing a SignCraft course - Logos, Signs and all that too.

I did write some of my own stuff long ago and do some 'symbols', but I found a lot of "coincidence" and when my writing parralleled what happened on Sept 11th amongst other stuff - I got spooked and ditched the majority of my works in the bin via a black briefcase before I get done for something silly like being a Terrorist, let alone a bloody Psychic  Roll Eyes

...I don't think we are actually, "blood" related. Though you could think so with some similarities. Maybe we are "ink" related instead  Wink?

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #25 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 9:40am

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Oct 29th, 2010 at 9:00am:
Ahh, I get you now.
Then you would have loved doing a SignCraft course - Logos, Signs and all that too.

I did write some of my own stuff long ago and do some 'symbols', but I found a lot of "coincidence" and when my writing parralleled what happened on Sept 11th amongst other stuff - I got spooked and ditched the majority of my works in the bin via a black briefcase before I get done for something silly like being a Terrorist, let alone a bloody Psychic  Roll Eyes

...I don't think we are actually, "blood" related. Though you could think so with some similarities. Maybe we are "ink" related instead  Wink?

I may have confused you with another who posted here a few months back, when they jokingly said they thought they may have been actually related to me...as I posted my surname.  I think they were just mucking about though lol...puling my leg, ...and yes, right you are, I think I would have loved doing a sign-craft course....and whilst I don't delve much into the superstitious/para-normal side of symbolism, I do have an affinity with ancient symbolism and cryptics, cyphers, codes, and how they relate to modern times.

Take the Zodiac Killer for example, I think i know who he was, but I suspect there are thousand's who think they have cracked his final code, (the one which reveals his identity) ..which authorities argue has never been solved.

Edgar Allen Poe and Shakespeare, Da Vinci, Carl Lewis, were all code enthusiasts.

I know about the 'spook' factor, with respects to how some things are just too uncanny, though to keep it in perspective, it helps to understand that many of these secular-related  incidents, (ie 9/11) align with ancient astronomy, specific dates and ancient code/symbolism, we all share, there's one parallel for starters, (we humans are a symbolic creature)...so it's only natural that sometimes certain code will align, as though they were planets, this and  begin falling into place...in almost a 'spooky' manner.

Don't think too much on it, or else it will do your head in, I just appreciate it for what it is, I get bored with cracking cryptic crosswords, (which I mostly use for boosting my vocabulary)...so decided to move onto cracking an alternative.

Smiley

One thing about symbolism.  ...no matter what part of the world you come from, race, faith etc, your history will be steeped in symbolism, as though it were a universal code, right of civilised passage in it's own right.

See, not so long ago, the alphabet itself was deemed evil, (our alphabet is merely symbols) ... so people used code, within art to communicate with one another....(under the noses of authority).

...   In fact, the technique for making paper was first delivered to the lay in images, symbolism...due to a majority of society being illiterate.

It's the historical/evolutionary aspect of it I find fascinating.... the fundamentals of how we as human beings began communicating with one another via means other than clubbing one another to death with sticks.

When we began to abstract reason...refer to higher -order thought process.

.... The human brain is a lovely, marvellous thing, is a codex in it's own right...one which has barely been tapped.

I'll pop back in later, have some things to.

I enjoyed our chat,

Cheers.

Smiley

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #26 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:13am

Interesting, though I dislike Crosswords.
Agree with you on a lot of points there.

Smiley

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #27 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 4:38pm

mellie wrote on Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:01am:
I like variety, though I do separate my eggs, don't place them in the one basket.

I guess, if I add in all my reading, I do the same. I may be reading Arrowsmith the novel, but I also read quadrant, policy etc...

Quote:
I compartmentalise, and usually read more or less supplementary texts to complement whatever I'm reading, depending on the depth/nature of the book I'm reading at the time, and weather or not it's fiction/non-fiction ...eg, when I was reading Dan Browns -The lost Symbol, I was also reading
-Signs & Symbols - Beryl Dhanjal
and..
-Cracking the Freemasons Code 'The truth About Solomon's Key And The Brotherhood' by Robert L.D. Cooper ; world authority on Freemasonry, (The title of this book is cryptic in itself)...
-And was also reviewing the Secret Doctrine both vol 1 and 2.

I more or less read a few at a time because I find I need to for leisure research purposes... Kinda like keeping a dictionary with you to do the cryptic crossword of a morning I guess.  

When I read books, I like to delve deeply into what it is I'm reading, this and want to understand every single little aspect,   likewise when I'm reading political memoirs and biographies etc... It helps with keeping it in perspective, having more than one string to your bow when reading certain works.

I call it complimentary/supplementary reading.

OK... that's the kind of reading I do when researching... but at the same time, I tend to stop all casual reading and become very directed towards that research. In such cases I can be pouring over many source materials, at the same time in order to build up the picture I am wanting to present.

Quote:
Smiley...  What do I write myself?

I had better not say, for the last time I did, Skippy accused me of being boastful...sharing too much .....

So, I shall abstain.

Cheers.

Smiley

It's wise to be shy. Tell me, what do you find the hardest part of the writing process? For me, it is the first draft. I also stop all reading when I am drafting... I stop everything actually and become a hermit dedicated to my mind for how ever long it takes to get that draft out. I find it difficult, because that is where you must join the research with the outline into a cogent stream of thought.

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #28 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 10:13am

Same, the first draft is always the hardest, only to find half way through the second or third chapter you want to start the book a completely different, (usually more exciting) way as the ideas continue flooding in, only to realise you need to go back and character-map again.

Annoying, I think this is partially why I prefer writing non-fiction, or semi-non-fiction, because the character dialogues already there for you, you just need to convincingly give them a semblance of authenticity, ...  even if your characters names, places and actual events have been modified to prevent  law-suits.

Smiley

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #29 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 10:46am

I will just add, I'm currently in the thick of my course, (lots of assessments,exam's, pracs) so, my 'creative' writing has been placed on the back-burner for a while, is a work-in-progress, hence I haven't been posting here much lately.

And as we all know, anything worth reading/writing, (novel wise) isn't written overnight, particularly the first book of an intended series.

JK Rowling took over 10 years to write her first Harry Potter novel...then once the characters/dialogue had been mapped in the first book, it's just a matter of giving them new scripts and adding new characters, dialogues, themes to subsequent books.

I think everyone has difficulty grinding out that first manuscript, because the pressures on to make it stand-out. It has to, it's a very competitive industry, (particularly for Australian authors who need to work twice as hard to stand-out, many publishes wont even pick up a manuscript if your post/zip code has less than 5 digits) and the world doesn't want just another author in a sea of b-rate other wanna-be authors, they want JK Rowlings, Dan Browns, John  J R R Tolkiens...and established writers sequels because they sell themselves.

Some people are pressure cookers, write some of their best work under pressure, when faced with a deadline, (when I write articles, and essays, yes, this applies to me), though for novels, I think you really need to take your time, at least with the first, if you plan to write a series anyway.

Near enough isn't good enough, the first needs to hit the spot.

There are no prizes for second best.

Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print