Send Topic Print
What are you reading (Read 6722 times)
mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
What are you reading
Sep 17th, 2010 at 5:24pm

The phenomenal number 1 best seller the PC brigade and the multiculturalists called rubbish ..

Among the barbarians

The updated election edition

by Paul Sheehan

To get a taste of what this book is like refer to an article, of which prompted public (PC brigade)  outrage published under the front page header in the Sydney Morning Herald on 25 May, 1996 "The Multicultural Myth".

It speaks the truth, and get used to it kids, because the green-left are going to be reading more of it as their multicultural façade crumbles.

Cool

For an overview..

http://www.thesydneyinstitute.com.au/ahfaContent.php?ahfaID=33
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2010 at 5:31pm by mellie »  

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: What are you reading
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 4:31pm

For those of you genuinely interested in Centrelink corruption, this and how billions of dollars are being wasted by bungled and intentional bureaucratic/government wastage, there's a book you may be lucky enough to get your hands on, it's called "One Man Banned" the best of Peter Sawyer, whistle blower  edited by Brian Wilshire.

It delves into the persecution of one public servant who dared to tell the truth, this and how he was screwed over by both sides of our government, our media, CIA, ASIO, and how our government at the time changed an Act to have him charged with "making a false and misleading statement with the intent of making a false and misleading statement" with the cooperation of the opposition, only to have reversed the act after his charges were dropped, under the 'forced' condition he pleaded guilty to the charge. He had been working with our federal police, told by our government he would be rewarded generously(career wise) for assisting them with a parliamentary and federal enquiry and "White Paper" of which was later disposed of.
It also talks about how on September 25th, 1991, Governor General, Bill Hayden, using the excuse of the external affairs powers, gave Royal Assent to the International Government on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), and how this is effectively Australia's new Bill Of Rights. It became operative on Christmas day, 1991.

* The right to private property ..GONE
*The right to freedom of assembly...GONE
*The right to freedom of speech..GONE
*Freedom from unwarranted search...GONE
*The right to trial by jury....GONE
*Freedom from unjust imprisonment...GONE

.... refer to chapter 1: The Freedom Fighter.

When injustice becomes law,
resistance becomes a duty!

Anon.

From a mural in Garema Place Canberra.

Smiley

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

annvin

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 5:03pm

well, in fact, i don't like reading very much. when i take the book, i will be very sleepy.

IP Logged

olive

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 9:58pm

I am currently reading "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. Some chapters are a bit hard going, but I am finding Bryson's humour and the stories of our world, its place in the universe, its science, scientists and history quite fascinating. Can recommend it. Smiley

Love a good book. Great to take your mind off everyday worries!

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 10:08pm

I am reading Nietzsche's Philosophy of the Eternal Recurrence of the Same by Karl Lowith.
Written in 1934 it is a blueprint for so many Nietzschean commentaries that have come since.

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 12:40pm

I'm not reading this at the moment, though have it on order.

http://www.quadrant.org.au/magazine/issue/2010/9/australian-freedom-haters

Looks like an interesting read.

It's not normally my genre, and at first glance it sounds a bit out-there, however....

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 11:43am

I'm not currently reading ....

Power Crisis, by Rodney Cavalier

Mostly because from what I have heard, it's just another bitchy ALP rat trying to make a buck out of his sinking ship, the ALP.

Lathams diary's interested me because it spanned across a long period of time, this and truly was, quite insightful,  but who is this guy Rodney Cavalier again? .... sounds like some washed-up back bencher in a creased suit with his nose out of joint because he didn't get his promotion, after 17 years of being in the ALP.

Besides, I don't suspect there's anything in it that the public aren't already aware of, (this or particularly care for) given we pretty much know why and how the ALP have regressed to what they have in recent years, and not only within the last 3 years but  since Keatings presidential self-interested poll driven styled campaigning they have all seemingly taken to in his wake.

Australians just want to know how the ALP plan to fix their government, and their mistakes, don't particularly want yet another little-red-book confirming what they already know and have been reading in their media anyway, which is that the ALP is a lame horse who's lame-ducks rat on each other 'often'.

Anyone thinking about reading this book?

I admittedly toyed with the prospect for about 3 seconds today, ....  3 seconds of my life I will never get back.

Grin I doubt there will be any interesting internal revelations leaked within it's pages, the way there was with Lathams diaries.

i

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 5:41pm

I'm reading
Gum by Ashley Hay: History of Eucalypts and their existence today.

Helliconia Trilogy by Brian Aldiss (Re-read) - just need to clarify a few things that he came up with. Very imaginative.

For the Term of His Natural Life by Marcus Clarke - more Historical reference than for idle read.

Weekend Farming by Robyn Hogan - a bit of education and hopefully a bit of farming activity.

Survive the Savage Sea by Dougal Robertson - regarding real life 'lost at sea' drama for a family after their yacht sinks.

Someone Else's Daughter by Julia Sheppard - curiousity as I lived with someone who belted those animals the night before they got stuck into her. He regrets not 'finishing them off'.

Land Use and Water Resources by H.C.Pereira - resource and education.

Tolkien: Illustrated Encyclopedia - always enjoyable from someone who did know all about reading, writing, knowledge and imagination.

...I tend to read many books at the same time. A different book in a different place. Though I can pump through a book in one go.

>>>I find listening to ambient music is great for reading books.
Smiley

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 7:20am

Re-reading: Terry Pratchett's Discworld series
                 Dean Kootnz's Lightning
                 Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #9 - Oct 25th, 2010 at 9:33pm

I have already read this book, but have any of you guys read...

http://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/catalog/76xmn2ry9780252027062.html

Not a bad read.

Cool

From Yahweh to Yahoo!

The Religious Roots of the Secular Press
Author: Doug Underwood

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 9:39am

I've just finished Bolano's novella Distant Star and have started The Globalised Woman: reports from the future of inequality by Christa Wichterich.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 9:58am

The BIG question is to all you Book Lovers.

With E-Book Sales outstripping conventional Book (paper) Sales
are you guys/gals gonna change your ways and 'convert',
like from Record to Disc to Ipod and VHS to DVD, etc ???

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

darkhall67
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 10:15am

Just finished "A Fraction of the Whole" by Steve Tolz.

http://www.penguin.com.au/afractionofthewhole/

Brilliantly funny book and now firmly placed in my top ten.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #13 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 12:35pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Oct 26th, 2010 at 9:58am:

No I don't think I will Jasign.....

It's kind of hard to read an E-Book while lying in bed, or sitting in a recliner in the loungeroom....or lying in a hammock in the backyard....

Besides, I like to be able to 'hold' the item......and see it on the book shelf..

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #14 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 1:07pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Oct 26th, 2010 at 12:35pm:
It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Oct 26th, 2010 at 9:58am:

No I don't think I will Jasign.....

It's kind of hard to read an E-Book while lying in bed, or sitting in a recliner in the loungeroom....or lying in a hammock in the backyard....

Besides, I like to be able to 'hold' the item......and see it on the book shelf..

Good question, and from a readers point of view, no, I personally savour my nightly ritual of reading books in bed exhausting my brain to the point of stupor, .... then turning off my lamp and dozing off to sleep. In fact, I have trouble falling asleep unless I read upon retiring.

I have books (a book or two and the daily paper) at my kitchen table to feast over during breakfast, a miniature book shelf in my toilet, I appear to have inherited off my father, (only his is more of a magazine wrack, as he carts the same book with him from room to room wherever he goes)  ... I could be reading as many as 3 or four books at once, usually of a different genre, though, and find there's just something about the smell of either really old, or brand new books. 

Given there are just some places you cant/shouldn't take your lap-top...ie, toilet, bath, beach, fishing, travelling, doctors waiting rooms , whilst having pap-smears, driving,  etc etc... I think there will always be a market for print.
Wink
Admittedly, I probably wouldn't buy the paper at all if I could grab the cryptic crossword off the web each day.

It's the only reason I still buy the paper in fact, and even then ... it's not every day, more like every other day these days.

Now from a writers/authors point of view, I think we need to embrace a diverse market now that more and more people are opting for online books, even audio-books these days.

Burn my soul, but not my books.

Tongue

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print