Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Abbott Pledges to put country first? (Read 4987 times)
longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Abbott Pledges to put country first?
Reply #45 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 10:43pm

# wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 9:13pm:
deepthought wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 9:08pm:
Why, DavidB5, do you think the US is moving to wireless?

In fact the US President said this;

Quote:
"The Internet, as vital infrastructure, has become central to the daily economic life of almost every American by creating unprecedented opportunities for small businesses and individual entrepreneurs," the president wrote in a memorandum. "We are now beginning the next transformation in information technology: the wireless broadband revolution."

Why are you looking into the past while the world moves on to the next generation technology?

Anyone would think we're not subject to the laws of physics.
Quote:
Similarly, his faith in wireless is wildly optimistic. He does
acknowledge contention ratios, but nevertheless goes on to intimate
that 100Mbps performance could be a realistic customer expectation.
The spectrum required to deliver this to bandwidth hungry customers
in high-density urban areas just isn't available unless cell-sizes
are reduced to ridiculously small levels (a tower every few hundred
meters). Once again, he could do well to go back and study some basic
physics.

UNiversity educated in physics are you? I can list a whloe slew of PhDs and professores that said something was IMPOSSIBLE only to be proven totally wrong a few years later. what is being suggested is NOT impossible or even difficult. as far as I can see the only devastating aspect of the proposal is that it is a liberal one rather than your beloved Labor.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

sandysquirrel18

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 11:50pm

Hmmm..............it seems I have opened a can of worms regarding the potential white elephant that is the NBN.

My mind goes back to the time of my first internet subscription.........dial up.  Remember that anyone?  Now we have ADSL 2, wireless and obviously fibre cable or whatever it is called.  It was a marvel to have access to something called the Internet, one could download 1 megabyte games and other assorted goodies.  And my fellow bloggers, that wasn't all that long ago.

So, having said that, this NBN is supposed to take up to 6 yrs or so to be completed, is that right?  6 yrs is a very long time in technology terms.  You can bet your bottom dollar that wireless, with all the extra satellites that are planned, and advances in new discoveries being made almost daily, will see the NBN as a dinasaur by the time it is completed....................current estimation $43 billion and rising.............rising.............rising.

Good grief, my latest computer, which is about 10 months old will be a dinasaur in 2 yrs.

In the meantime, however, I thorougly believe that the new Government should at least make sure that our current broadband setup is available to anyone in Australia.  It does not necessarily mean that we have to go with the NBN that has NOT had a cost/benefit analysis performed on it.  That would be utter folly.

Here's hoping that veg will soon be able to have broadband herself........go veg

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

A fool is certain: an
ignorant fool, absolutely
so

Reply #47 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:01pm

Yahoon wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 9:12pm:
Quote:
Your own strawman here. The question was about wireless.

The only strawman was you saying that people were comparing fibre performance to wireless. It still stands and you have yet to prove otherwise, but continue making a fool of yourself.

It's earlier in this thread:
sandysquirrel18 wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 5:42pm:
... By the time it is finished there will be new wireless technology (I read it somewhere). ...

IP Logged

Yahoon

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:07pm

That is not comparing wireless to fibre performance.

Try again  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

so

Reply #49 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:09pm

longweekend58 wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 10:43pm:
... I can list a whloe slew of PhDs and professores that said something was IMPOSSIBLE only to be proven totally wrong a few years later.

Please do so.

Are there none who were proven right? Which is the majority: those proven wrong or those proven right?
Quote:
what is being suggested is NOT impossible or even difficult.

People far more knowledgeable than you or I disagree, as I've shown.
Quote:
as far as I can see the only devastating aspect of the proposal is that it is a liberal one rather than your beloved Labor.

I hold no particular affection for any political party. I do, however, find it difficult to deny physics.

IP Logged

culldav
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:09pm

Just remember folks; Tony told you that if you don't see it in writing it dosen't exist

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

so

Reply #51 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:13pm

Yahoon wrote on Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:07pm:
That is not comparing wireless to fibre performance.

Try again  Roll Eyes

Once again, the troll attempts to manipulate me into wasting time chasing shadows. The post in question implied that wireless would make a fibre network obsolete. As I've been pointing out (with ample evidence), physics makes that impossible.

IP Logged

Yahoon

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:19pm

Quote:
The post in question implied that wireless would make a fibre network obsolete.

No, it didn't. That was just your inference
Quote:
As I've been pointing out (with ample evidence), physics makes that impossible.

Physics does not dictate market forces.

Struggle through a bit more and really embarrass yourself

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

so

Reply #53 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:43pm

deepthought wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 9:16pm:
The supplier.  Telstra.
Quote:
The profit announcement for the year to June 30 showed Telstra's fixed-line revenues fell $504 million, a drop of 8 per cent, and that 326,000 customers cancelled their fixed lines. This fall in the fixed-line business was offset somewhat by growth in revenue from mobile services, which increased 5.9 per cent.

I asked someone in the industry what those figures mean. Apparently "cancelled their fixed lines" can mean, among other things:
  • had the line disconnected at the exchange (very rare);
  • had the phone service discontinued, but retained the line for naked DSL or
  • transferred their phone service to another provider, such as Optus.

Telstra is losing customers. Nobody I know in business is with them. Few lines have actually been disconnected. My contact did say that more are being installed than disconnected.

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

so

Reply #54 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:47pm

Yahoon wrote on Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:19pm:
Quote:
As I've been pointing out (with ample evidence), physics makes that impossible.

Physics does not dictate market forces.

Even the market can't deny physics. You may consider it a deity, but it's just a human construct.

IP Logged

Yahoon

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:49pm

Quote:
Even the market can't deny physics. You may consider it a deity, but it's just a human construct.

You do like those strawmen, don't you  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

so

Reply #56 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:52pm

Yahoon wrote on Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:49pm:
You do like those strawmen, don't you  Roll Eyes

You don't know what the term means, do you?

IP Logged

Yahoon

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:56pm

Quote:

Where did I say that the market denies physics and where did I say I consider it a deity? Keep digging, dufus  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #58 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 7:38pm

# wrote on Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:43pm:
I asked someone in the industry what those figures mean. Apparently "cancelled their fixed lines" can mean, among other things:
  • had the line disconnected at the exchange (very rare);
  • had the phone service discontinued, but retained the line for naked DSL or
  • transferred their phone service to another provider, such as Optus.

Telstra is losing customers. Nobody I know in business is with them. Few lines have actually been disconnected. My contact did say that more are being installed than disconnected.

I suggest you show this post to your contact.

Quote:
Income from fixed telephone lines fell 8 per cent in the latest financial year as 326,000 customers ditched the old technology. Chief financial officer John Stanhope said about 12 per cent of households in Australia now used only mobile phones.

Fixed-line revenue fell to $5.8 billion and revenue from calls on the fixed network fell by $188 million.

Mobile-services revenue rose 5.9 per cent to $6.5 billion, driven by substantial growth in mobile broadband, messaging and data downloads on smartphones.

He has made you look foolish.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #59 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 7:46pm

He will also be interested to know . . .

Quote:
Mobile broadband take-up will lead fixed line 'in five years', 4G Summit told

MOBILE internet users will outnumber those of fixed internet users in Australia in five years time, according to speakers at the 2010 Australian 4G Summit.

The conference got under way yesterday in Sydney and is an exploratory look at the future of communications in Australia.

Attendees yesterday were told the annual growth rate of mobile internet devices has reached almost 30 per cent, eight times greater than that of traditional web connections.

But the “unlimited” possibilities unlocked by the evolution of wireless internet were not being fully explored, said country manager of Qualcomm Robert Hart.

“How far those developments can go is only limited by our imaginations,” Mr Hart said.

Most countries, including Australia, are lagging 10 years behind leaders in the field such as Japan, said Morgan Stanley analyst Mark Blackwell.

Developing countries also have an advantage over Australia due to their lack of fixed line infrastructure, which allows them to “leapfrog to mobile internet”, Mr Blackwell said.

You will note that last paragraph - "Developing countries also have an advantage over Australia due to their lack of fixed line infrastructure, which allows them to “leapfrog to mobile internet"

Meanwhile the steam powered GALP want to drive us back to the olden days and bury even more fixed lines in the ground.  Their supporters blindly follow without question, ignoring the reality before them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print