Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Abbott Pledges to put country first? (Read 4997 times)
perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Abbott Pledges to put country first?
Sep 5th, 2010 at 3:15pm

TONY Abbott has launched a last-ditch plea to the three kingmaker Independents who will decide today who to back into The Lodge.

With increasing signs that Labor has the upper hand, Mr Abbott has sent the three Independents a simple message: Don't do it.
Link -
http://www.news.com.au/tony-abbott-pledges-to-put-country-first-to-woo-independe...==============
If Liberal & Labor had that as their starting point, then we would not be where we are, which is far into a croc invetsed swamp, in a barbed wire canoe, without any paddles!

I don't, for one second, believe that Tony has 'seen the light", but frankly I doubt that Labor have either!

Whoever finally gets the nod, I say to those indepedents who will have the balance of power for the next "little while", whoever you climb into bed with, watch your backs!  

IP Logged

nichy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Abbott Pledges to put country first?
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:18pm

If Liberal & Labor had that as their starting point, then we would not be where we are, which is far into a croc invetsed swamp, in a barbed wire canoe, without any paddles!.....perceptions now

Or up to our armpits in crocodiles when we only set out to drain the swamp
Sad

Irrespective of who gets the top job,  I just wish Gillard had not hopped into bed with the Greens.  I think she'll have trouble with them.   For example, she has stated clearly she is not in favour of gay marriage, yet Brandt and Brown say it's one of their top agenda items ?????  Where to from there Julia ????

"Prime Minister Julia Gillard says she does not support legalising gay marriage in Australia.

Labor policy on gay marriage will remain the same under her prime ministership, Ms Gillard told Austereo show today.

"We believe the marriage act is appropriate in its current form, that is recognising that marriage is between a man and a woman, but we have as a government taken steps to equalise treatment for gay couples," Ms Gillard said.

if that was also her personal view, Ms Gillard said it was."

http://www.smh.com.au/national/gillard-against-gay-marriage-20100630-zkcj.html

"He who does not value life does not deserve it." -- Leonardo da Vinci&&&&

IP Logged

sandysquirrel18

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:23pm

Hi perceptions_now.  It looks very much to me that at least 2 of the Independents will go with Labor.  Let's hope Jooles puts Australia first before her own 'hidden' agenda.

So many back flips, so much taxpayer's money spent to appease a minority, NBN NOT thoroughly costed, the Unions and the Greens will be running the show...........get ready for an avalanche of gigantic proportions.

Speaking of the NBN, I have a fairly fast broadband service which costs me $49 per month.  Unless I want to download movies and the like day after day, why would I bother to pay up to $3000 to have Labor's fibre optic cable connected plus at least triple the cost per month to stay connected?

Who ever gets to Govern will be handed a poisoned chalice............if it's the Labor/Green alliance, then I predict that they will eventually be turfed out for over a decade.  Possibly the end of the Greens..........I can't wait for the Greens Policies to finally be scrutinised.  Interesting times ahead

IP Logged

nichy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:29pm

sandysquirrel18 wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:23pm:
Hi perceptions_now.  It looks very much to me that at least 2 of the Independents will go with Labor.  Let's hope Jooles puts Australia first before her own 'hidden' agenda.

So many back flips, so much taxpayer's money spent to appease a minority, NBN NOT thoroughly costed, the Unions and the Greens will be running the show...........get ready for an avalanche of gigantic proportions.

Speaking of the NBN, I have a fairly fast broadband service which costs me $49 per month.  Unless I want to download movies and the like day after day, why would I bother to pay up to $3000 to have Labor's fibre optic cable connected plus at least triple the cost per month to stay connected?

Who ever gets to Govern will be handed a poisoned chalice............if it's the Labor/Green alliance, then I predict that they will eventually be turfed out for over a decade.  Possibly the end of the Greens..........I can't wait for the Greens Policies to finally be scrutinised.  Interesting times ahead

Will the Greens be thoroughly scrutinised though Sandy, especially prior to the Senate changes next July ?

They can do a fair bit of damage in the meantime if Julia doesn't watch it. 

I still maintain that Rudd, given time would have built up his popularity, not have had the election yet, and certainly not played footsies with the Greens.

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

A fool is certain: an
ignorant fool, absolutely
so

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:32pm

sandysquirrel18 wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:23pm:
Speaking of the NBN, I have a fairly fast broadband service which costs me $49 per month.  Unless I want to download movies and the like day after day, why would I bother to pay up to $3000 to have Labor's fibre optic cable connected plus at least triple the cost per month to stay connected?

Where do those figures come from? My understanding is that, where possible, fibre will be connected and existing copper decommissioned. Unless the occupants choose to buy a different service, nothing else changes.

Who says you'll need to pay $3,000 for the fibre connection? Who says you'll be forced to pay "triple the cost to stay connected"?

IP Logged

nichy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:36pm

The National Electrical and Communications Association confirmed it was likely residents and some businesses would have to pay if they needed new wiring and outlets to take full advantage of the NBN.

Association chief executive James Tinslay said that once the NBN had installed fibre-optic cables, residents would still need to equip their homes with new cables and devices.

"Residents will need to consider what technology they wish to embrace when the NBN reaches their front gate, and it is very likely that many households will need to be retrofitted with new cables, wiring and outlets to access new services."

Mr Tinslay said a standard retrofit could cost up to $3000.

"However, the big unknown at this stage is what the cost will be for getting fibre-optic cables from your front gate into your living room," he said.

Mr Tinslay also raised concerns about the safety of workers installing the NBN, saying there were still no training standards or cost estimates for a scheme to prepare thousands of people for dangerous work near powerlines connecting homes to the fibre-optic network.

"Our main concern is letting government know that there are dangers here and they need to make sure that there are no safety issues along the way, because they will cop it from everybody if they do," Mr Tinslay said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/nbn-could-cost-households-an-extra-3000/story-fn59niix-1225908005122

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

so

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:47pm

nichy wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:36pm:
The National Electrical and Communications Association confirmed it was likely residents and some businesses would have to pay if they needed new wiring and outlets to take full advantage of the NBN.

Association chief executive James Tinslay said that once the NBN had installed fibre-optic cables, residents would still need to equip their homes with new cables and devices.

"Residents will need to consider what technology they wish to embrace when the NBN reaches their front gate, and it is very likely that many households will need to be retrofitted with new cables, wiring and outlets to access new services."

"However, the big unknown at this stage is what the cost will be for getting fibre-optic cables from your front gate into your living room," he said.

Mr Tinslay also raised concerns about the safety of workers installing the NBN, saying there were still no training standards or cost estimates for a scheme to prepare thousands of people for dangerous work near powerlines connecting homes to the fibre-optic network.

"Our main concern is letting government know that there are dangers here and they need to make sure that there are no safety issues along the way, because they will cop it from everybody if they do," Mr Tinslay said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/nbn-could-cost-households-an-extra-3000/story-fn59niix-1225908005122

So if people choose a service different to the one they have, it might cost? That's a surprise.

My understanding is that, if the occupant stays with the service they had before fibre, there will be no extra cost.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:54pm

# wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:47pm:
nichy wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:36pm:

So if people choose a service different to the one they have, it might cost? That's a surprise.

My understanding is that, if the occupant stays with the service they had before fibre, there will be no extra cost.

SO to take advantage of it you will still need to pay extra. so let's get it right. I currently have adsl 2+ but under the NBN i can keep it and pay nothing. right? so tell me again why we are spending $43B to give me something I probably wont use because it wil cost me extra???

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

sandysquirrel18

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 5:42pm

That's the whole point isn't it longweekend?  Why spend billions and billions of taxpayer's money for something that the average person probably wouldn't need or want.  By the time it is finished there will be new wireless technology (I read it somewhere).  I wonder why Labor REFUSES to have actual costing done.  And of course, there is the 'filter'.

Abbott would do well now to just lay low and let Labor and the Greens implode.  How can Labor and the Greens really work together successfully?  They both have different agenda's and Policies.  Will the red bimbo back down to Bob Brown just to keep his support.  Will this be the end of the Labor?  Now wouldn't that be a wonderful thing?

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

so

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 6:43pm

longweekend58 wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:54pm:
SO to take advantage of it you will still need to pay extra. so let's get it right. I currently have adsl 2+ but under the NBN i can keep it and pay nothing. right? so tell me again why we are spending $43B to give me something I probably wont use because it wil cost me extra???

Pay extra get extra. Not everyone wants to stay at your level.

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

so

Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 6:50pm

sandysquirrel18 wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 5:42pm:
... By the time it is finished there will be new wireless technology (I read it somewhere). ...

Tony Abbott said it. It's a lie. There's no prospect of wireless ever approaching the capacity of fibre.

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

so

Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 7:28pm

For those who think wireless is the answer to Australia's broadband needs, this is from a much longer answer to a question on the Link mailing list http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/2010-August/089266.html
..." his faith in wireless is wildly optimistic. He does
acknowledge contention ratios, but nevertheless goes on to intimate
that 100Mbps performance could be a realistic customer expectation.
The spectrum required to deliver this to bandwidth hungry customers
in high-density urban areas just isn't available unless cell-sizes
are reduced to ridiculously small levels (a tower every few hundred
meters). Once again, he could do well to go back and study some basic
physics."

Discussion went on to make the point that wireless towers are connected by fibre links. To get anywhere near the speeds required in the very near future, let alone in ten years time, would require so many towers that connecting premises directly would use less fibre.

There's a lot more at that link, for anyone who really wants to know rather than just have their prejudices reinforced. At the end of the missive is a viral letter that's probably the source of much of the misinformation peddled in this forum. I guess the motives behind http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/nbn-could-cost-households-an-ex... are similar to those of the author of the viral letter. If there was any substance in the Australian article, wouldn't we have heard about it from those areas where rollout of the NBN has already begun?

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 7:35pm

# wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 7:28pm:
For those who think wireless is the answer to Australia's broadband needs, this is from a much longer answer to a question on the Link mailing list http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/2010-August/089266.html
..." his faith in wireless is wildly optimistic. He does
acknowledge contention ratios, but nevertheless goes on to intimate
that 100Mbps performance could be a realistic customer expectation.
The spectrum required to deliver this to bandwidth hungry customers
in high-density urban areas just isn't available unless cell-sizes
are reduced to ridiculously small levels (a tower every few hundred
meters). Once again, he could do well to go back and study some basic
physics."

Discussion went on to make the point that wireless towers are connected by fibre links. To get anywhere near the speeds required in the very near future, let alone in ten years time, would require so many towers that connecting premises directly would use less fibre.

There's a lot more at that link, for anyone who really wants to know rather than just have their prejudices reinforced. At the end of the missive is a viral letter that's probably the source of much of the misinformation peddled in this forum. I guess the motives behind http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/nbn-could-cost-households-an-ex... are similar to those of the author of the viral letter. If there was any substance in the Australian article, wouldn't we have heard about it from those areas where rollout of the NBN has already begun?

And if wireless is so incapable why is singapore moving toward it when they already have a fast fibre network?

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Yahoon

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 7:41pm

And the US.

The whole world is moving to wireless, but here we have a govt spending $43Bn on a network that in 10-20 years will be redundant because no one will make the hardware (for the consumer) that FO will use.

How many home computers do you see with a FO port? It's all ethernet or Wifi

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

so

Reply #14 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 7:42pm

longweekend58 wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 7:35pm:
And if wireless is so incapable why is singapore moving toward it when they already have a fast fibre network?

<sigh>Why don't you ask them?

It might have something to do with fibre being fixed, while wireless is portable. If anyone tells you that wireless can deliver the same performance as fibre, they're lying.

Read what I provided or cling to your ignorance. The choice is yours.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print