Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Scott Rush pleads for his life in Bali court (Read 9589 times)
mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Re: Scott Rush pleads for his life in Bali court
Reply #90 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 5:14pm

I think that we could probably do more to promote safety by creating a more caring and inclusive society.
Look at those dogs/trash/scum, whatever label you wish to apply to them, who raped aussie girls because of their upbringing, and the lack of respect for women who do not follow the code of conduct laid down as being appropriate by the people who raised them.
Should we kill them, or the people that raised them to think that they could self justify their behaviour?

The trouble with sanctioning state killings is knowing where to stop.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #91 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 5:23pm

mozzaok wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 5:14pm:
I think that we could probably do more to promote safety by creating a more caring and inclusive society.
Look at those dogs/trash/scum, whatever label you wish to apply to them, who raped aussie girls because of their upbringing, and the lack of respect for women who do not follow the code of conduct laid down as being appropriate by the people who raised them.
Should we kill them, or the people that raised them to think that they could self justify their behaviour?

The trouble with sanctioning state killings is knowing where to stop.

No, 'State sanction killings' can be limited by legislation....

If you limit the DP to repeat killings, or torture killing and killing police and/or witnesses to murders then the IS a limit to executions....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #92 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 5:34pm

what about pedos?, I mean they are the worst of the worst in my book, often far more deserving of death than some kid who gets led astray by the wrong crowd and impulsively kills from fear or stupidity?
Surely we should be allowed to kill pedos?
Plus some rapist/sex offenders are off the chart sickos, we should get rid of them too, just because a value judgement comes into it should not mean we ignore these worst of the worst, should it?

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #93 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 9:02pm

mozzaok wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 5:34pm:
what about pedos?, I mean they are the worst of the worst in my book, often far more deserving of death than some kid who gets led astray by the wrong crowd and impulsively kills from fear or stupidity?
Surely we should be allowed to kill pedos?
Plus some rapist/sex offenders are off the chart sickos, we should get rid of them too, just because a value judgement comes into it should not mean we ignore these worst of the worst, should it?

Sure, if you want to include pedos and rapist/sex offenders in the legislation.....I won't vote 'agin' it....the point is...all DPs are under fairly strict and specific legislations....in other words....WE get to decide which particular crimes classify as DP crimes.....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #94 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 10:23am

Quote:
I understand what you are say Mozz but my point of view is that an enlightened society is not the one that abolishes the dealth penalty but the one that accepts that

1) there are individuals that are so dangerous that they should never be released

2) there are individuals that have no remorse or desire to alter their attitude and therefore offer considerable risk to the community upon release or are career and multiple offenders.

3) individuals that rape and murder ruin entire lives and I have no problem expressing that I think these serious crimes should have the death penalty as an option. In the case of crimes against children it should be mandatory

Exactly. Our first responsibility as a society should be to protect our innocents. As long as the death penalty is carried out in an humane manner, I support it completely for serial rapists, pedophiles and in some cases, murder.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #95 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 10:59am

Quote:
Possibly Azaria died of an accident.....but it was an accident caused by HUMAN action...

We believe that too. Not necessarily the parents.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #96 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 11:29am

gizmo_2655 wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 4:29pm:
In all seriousness, I'd like to be able to walk home from the pub at 3am without being grabbed by some nutter who wants to torture me to death (which, admittedly, probably won't happen..cause I'm an ugly bastard)...but I'd like my daughter and my nieces to ALSO be able to walk home from the pub, the movies or school without having to worry about some loony nutter kidnapping, raping and torturing them to death...

The best way to arrange THAT seems to be to execute the loony nutters as soon as we find them.....

Since the lefty soft c0ck judges and magistrates have a real aversion to even locking up serious crimminal offenders, even if we had the DP, it would never get used anyway.

Maybe if these judges were held accountable for their decisions and had to reapply for their jobs every few years, this would change.

Australia is a safe haven for any serious criminal, just ask that american who killed his wife in Townsville 2 years ago, got 18 months gaol and a guarantee that QLD would not help the US prosecutors  if he faced the DP when he went back home.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #97 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 12:25pm

Deborahmac09 wrote on Aug 31st, 2010 at 10:59am:
Quote:
Possibly Azaria died of an accident.....but it was an accident caused by HUMAN action...

We believe that too. Not necessarily the parents.

I was at Ayres Rock two weeks after that incident, hadn`t heard or seen any news & was unaware of the incident.  There was a big Abo camp just east of the rock, I`ve no idea how many big starving dogs they had, but there wouldn`t have been a dingo within miles of the rock.  I wouldn`t  trust those dogs though.

IP Logged

djrbfm

OzPolitic

Reply #98 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 1:44pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Aug 28th, 2010 at 2:05pm:
Does the punishment for child abusers in Australia fit their crime? What about rapists?

I've heard so many people on this forum whining about immigrants and tourists respecting our laws when coming to Australia - it's hypocritical to suggest something different for us when we visit other countries.

I hope Rush's death sentence is overturned, but it's ridiculous to argue that he's a victim here.

yeah, but our laws are fair.
Indonesia? corruption plus.
i know this to be true.
i've met one of the police chiefs.
anything for an extra buck.
i'll bet you cannot name 5 Indo top achievers in the world scene.
prolly not even one.
anyway, our politics here flies in the face of theirs.
they'd overrun us tomorrow given the chance.
victim, no.
desperate, yes.
another fact, one out of 3 ppl i've met in australia over the last 45yrs is a pot smoker.
that includes pollies, lawyers, doctors, artists, actors, musos, blue and white collars.
our laws are hypocritical.
the politics between us and these indos is tenuous at best.
j.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #99 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 1:50pm

Australia has had its share of corruption, especially in the police force.

You've just said our laws are fair, and then described them as hypocritical in the same post.

Nobody forced these drug mules to fly to Indo. Rush and co new the consequences of what they were trying to do.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Jaykaye_09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #100 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 1:51pm

BigOl64 wrote on Aug 31st, 2010 at 11:29am:
Since the lefty soft c0ck judges and magistrates have a real aversion to even locking up serious crimminal offenders, even if we had the DP, it would never get used anyway.

I've got to agree with that, in part.

Though I'd use that as a reason to push for an overhaul in sentencing, which would allow us to avoid what I believe to be the folly of capital punishment.

It's expensive. It doesn't stop those crimes in question. It creates further victims.

(by the way, howdy folks).

If I don't respond to a post directed toward me, it's probably because I've gone offline, not because I'm rude.&&&&Or maybe I don't like you. In which case, sod off. Ta.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #101 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 1:57pm

Jaykaye_09 wrote on Aug 31st, 2010 at 1:51pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Aug 31st, 2010 at 11:29am:

I've got to agree with that, in part.

Though I'd use that as a reason to push for an overhaul in sentencing, which would allow us to avoid what I believe to be the folly of capital punishment.

It's expensive. It doesn't stop those crimes in question. It creates further victims.

(by the way, howdy folks).

Hi jaykaye...

The question I've always wondered about is this...
Is the DP more expensive than having to feed, cloth and house a convicted (and guilty) person for anywhere from 25 to 60 years????

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #102 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 1:58pm

djrbfm wrote on Aug 31st, 2010 at 1:44pm:
Does the punishment for child abusers in Australia fit their crime? What about rapists?

I've heard so many people on this forum whining about immigrants and tourists respecting our laws when coming to Australia - it's hypocritical to suggest something different for us when we visit other countries.

I hope Rush's death sentence is overturned, but it's ridiculous to argue that he's a victim here.

i know this to be true.
[highlight]i'll bet you cannot name 5 Indo top achievers in the world scene.
prolly not even one.
[/highlight]
victim, no.
desperate, yes.
another fact, one out of 3 ppl i've met in australia over the last 45yrs is a pot smoker.
that includes pollies, lawyers, doctors, artists, actors, musos, blue and white collars.
j.

Krakatoa! Smiley

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #103 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 2:00pm

locutius wrote on Aug 31st, 2010 at 1:58pm:
djrbfm wrote on Aug 31st, 2010 at 1:44pm:

i know this to be true.
[highlight]i'll bet you cannot name 5 Indo top achievers in the world scene.
prolly not even one.
[/highlight]
victim, no.
desperate, yes.
j.

Krakatoa! Smiley

Megawati sukarno putri has to be in the top 5 best names!

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Jaykaye_09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #104 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 2:00pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Aug 31st, 2010 at 1:57pm:
Hi jaykaye...

The question I've always wondered about is this...
Is the DP more expensive than having to feed, cloth and house a convicted (and guilty) person for anywhere from 25 to 60 years????

Certainly in the United States (which would be most comparable to uor own system).

Granted, much of the cost comes from inefficiencies within the system, but these stem from processes which I don't think any of us would want to see removed (or made more "cost efficient" in the manner we generally tend to).

I should highlight though, that my opposition of the DP is primarily based on those factors outside of cost.

If I don't respond to a post directed toward me, it's probably because I've gone offline, not because I'm rude.&&&&Or maybe I don't like you. In which case, sod off. Ta.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print