Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Does Abbott think he has it in the bag? (Read 8551 times)
Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Re: Does Abbott think he has it in the bag?
Reply #30 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 6:21pm

Verge wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 4:38pm:
Please delete wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:59pm:
The institute revealed late yesterday it had received a complaint about the conduct of two members of WHK Horwath.

The Age reported last week that Sydney University accountancy professor Bob Walker was to make the complaint in a private capacity, arguing it was not an audit in accordance with the relevant standard

I am interested in what is the exact issue.

Failing to comply with one of the hundred of standards is one thing, and could have been overlooked unintentionally, however people are suggesting the company has inappropirately, which is another whole issue.

Agreed!

Thanks to Vegitamatey's link, I'm trying to trace the issues on a dodgy netbook comfuser via a slow Macca's Wifi connection...

Meantime, here's the relevant covering letter to Abbott & Co: -

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KbiBt2BFLiI/TG2oBGG7LJI/AAAAAAAABs4/MJSbhBbyHAk/s1600/...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #31 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 6:51pm

Verge wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:56pm:
buzzanddidj wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:19pm:
A
Born-to-Rule
mindset is part of Liberal Party DNA

The Liberal Party of Australia has ALWAYS seen itself as a
government-in-exile
when on the opposition benches

Abbot thought he had it 'in the bag' before election day

This born to rule line you keep spouting is utter garbage.

No party wants to sit on the opposition side.

The lines of support for both parties is so seriously blurred these days to make such claims is just sad.

A TYPICAL response - from the self-proclaimed
Ruling Class

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #32 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 6:53pm

Also thanks to Vegitamatey: -

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-reports/heats-on-tony-abbott-to-show-in...

Quote:
Tony Abbott opens books to independents bloc

* Matthew Schulz and AAP

* August 27, 2010

* 64 comments

UPDATE 2.35pm: TONY Abbott has backed down on key independents demands for costings on its election promises, Julia Gillard says.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard said a short time ago, that Mr Abbott had agreed to give briefings on costings of policies and promises to three crossbench MPs, after agreeing to make crucial changes to caretaker conditions.

Three country MPs Bob Katter, Tony Windsor and Rob Oakeshott will have the final say on who will form government and demanded to be briefed on how those election promises would affect the bottom line, among seven demands.

Ms Gillard said the "total range" of costings of Labor and Coalition policies would be provided.

"I am pleased to report that Mr Abbott has generally agree that the independents should be able to get the material they seek.," Ms Gillard said in the lunchtime announcement.

She said her office and Mr Abbott had exchanged a number of letters since mid-week about the issue, before they struck the agreement.

Read the blow-by-blow negotiations between Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott, and the internal briefing to Ms Gillard from Prime Minister and Cabinet below.

PM&C briefing to the PM on the independents' request for information http://mp3.news.com.au/hwt/PMC%20Brief.pdf

PM's letter to Tony Abbott 25 August 2010 http://mp3.news.com.au/hwt/PM%20to%20Leader%20of%20the%20Opposition%2025%20Aug.p...

PM's letter to Tony Abbott 26 August 2010 http://mp3.news.com.au/hwt/PM%20to%20Leader%20of%20the%20Opposition%2026%20Aug.p...

PM's letter to Tony Abbott 27 August 2010 http://mp3.news.com.au/hwt/PM%20to%20Leader%20of%20the%20Opposition%2027%20Augus...

Tony Abbott's response to the PM 27 August 2010 http://mp3.news.com.au/hwt/Response%20to%20Caretaker%20PM.pdf

“I am pleased to report that Mr Abbott has generally agreed that the independents should be able to get the material that they seek,'' she said.

“I welcome Mr Abbott's general agreement to that.''

After scheduling a live media conference, Ms Gillard delaying her appearance for about 45 minutes, before receiving the final assent from Mr Abbott.

Ms Gillard stressed the independents would get the briefing and “what they do with that is up to them”.

But she called on Mr Abbott to be “as transparent, open and honest with the Australian people as I am prepared to be” and allow the public to see the costings too.

Ms Gillard said that after Treasury had completed its assessment of Opposition costings, they should be released publicly, the same way Labor had released the costs of its promises.

“Every Australian has access to the government's costings. Every Australian should have access to Mr Abbott's costings done by Treasury,'' she said.

“That is fundamental to the national interest and Mr Abbott should agree to that.

“It seems to me that Mr Abbott cannot find a credible objection to that.''

Mr Abbott’s agreement came with conditions including that any background information, costings and assumptions not be given to Ms Gillard’s office, Treasury or the Department of Finance.

“And of course, I've agreed to that,'' she said.

Mr Abbott also demanded that the ALP give details of its mineral resources rent tax and $43 billion broadband network, although Ms Gillard pointed out that information was already contained it the pre-election fiscal outlook

Both leaders had agreed to amend caretaker government conventions so that the bloc of three independent MPs could be given a Treasury briefing about the budget impact of Labor and coalition policies.

Ms Gillard said the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet had advised her about the changes needed.

Ms Gillard said her actions had been focused on continuing to provide "stable and responsible government" throughout the negotiations.

Coalition won't play the spoiler

Along the same lines, Opposition leader Tony Abbott today stated he would not back a Family First threat to block supply as he was accused of trying to force fresh elections.

Mr Abbott indicated today that the Coalition would be responsible and not combine with Senator Fielding to block supply.

Family First senator Steve Fielding had threatened to throw a spanner in the works by blocking legislation by any Labor government after the Australian people decided they did not want the Labor government returned for a further three years.

“The election gave Labor a huge slap across the face, saying you're not worthy of a second term,'' he told ABC Radio today.

Senator Fielding, who is struggling to retain his own place in Parliament following the election, is one of seven crossbenchers who will hold the balance of power in the Upper House until June 30, 2011.

He would not rule out voting against all Labor legislation or guaranteeing support for government supply bills.

The coalition with Senator Fielding's support could stymie any legislation that comes from the lower house during the first eight or nine months of the new parliament.

Senator Fielding said the governor-general needed to take into account the situation in both houses of parliament when considering...

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2010 at 7:06pm by Equitist »  

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 7:01pm

Please delete wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:46pm:
Another election would be interesting - would the liblabs have any money for advertising??

The question you should be asking is if LABOR have the money for an election.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 7:03pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 6:51pm:
Verge wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:56pm:
buzzanddidj wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:19pm:
A
Born-to-Rule
mindset is part of Liberal Party DNA

The Liberal Party of Australia has ALWAYS seen itself as a
government-in-exile
when on the opposition benches

Abbot thought he had it 'in the bag' before election day

This born to rule line you keep spouting is utter garbage.

No party wants to sit on the opposition side.

The lines of support for both parties is so seriously blurred these days to make such claims is just sad.

A TYPICAL response - from the self-proclaimed
Ruling Class

The reason that bitter losers like yourself call it the "ruling Class' is that the libs spend far mor time in govt than in opposition. So much time in fact that we can be considered the Ruling Class because we do in fact RULE most of the time!

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 7:07pm

Mr Robb also defended WHK Howarth's work, as the Institute of Chartered Accountants launched a formal investigation into its conduct.

The institute revealed late yesterday it had received a complaint about the conduct of two members of WHK Horwath.

The Age reported last week that Sydney University accountancy professor Bob Walker was to make the complaint in a private capacity, arguing it was not an audit in accordance with the relevant standard, despite Coalition figures including shadow treasurer Joe Hockey repeatedly calling it an audit.

The institute will decide whether to refer the complaint to its professional conduct tribunal, ''which has the power to impose sanctions on individual members who act inappropriately''.

And you dont smell a POLITICAL element to this???? seriously, think about why such a 'complaint' has come about JUST NOW and amazingly about the Lib Party?  If you dont think it is political in nature then you are a fool. If it WERENT political in nature, the complaint would be held back a few weeks until it could be shown to NOT be political!

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 7:12pm

urgh....uhm....aaahhhh......turn the boats around

It's Tony on the boat phone

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 7:13pm

Apparently it's 73 all now, just goes to show people hate labor and liberals the same.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #38 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 7:20pm

longweekend58 wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 7:07pm:
The Age reported last week that Sydney University accountancy professor Bob Walker was to make the complaint in a private capacity, arguing it was not an audit in accordance with the relevant standard, despite Coalition figures including shadow treasurer Joe Hockey repeatedly calling it an audit.

And you dont smell a POLITICAL element to this???? seriously, think about why such a 'complaint' has come about JUST NOW and amazingly about the Lib Party?  If you dont think it is political in nature then you are a fool. If it WERENT political in nature, the complaint would be held back a few weeks until it could be shown to NOT be political!

LOL...there's a political element to all of this - noting that the Libs ought to have stuck to their own Charter of Budget Honesty in the first instance and not sought to subvert the political procedural precedent that they themselves set (and previously held the Labs to)!

That said, here's the text of Abbott's last aforementioned letter to Gillard: -

Quote:
The Hon. Tony Abbott MHR
Leader of the Opposition
Parliament House, Canberra ACT 2600. Tel: (02) 6277 4022
Fax: (02) 6277 8562

27 August 2010

Hon Julia Gillard MP
Caretaker Prime Minister
Parliament House
CANBERRA ACT 2600

Dear Ms Gillard

Thank you for your letter dated 25 August 2010 enclosing advice you sought from the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet in relation to the various requests for information from Hon Bob Katter MP, Mr Tony Windsor MP and Mr Robert Oakeshott MP.

In the first instance, I note that access to information under the ‘caretaker conventions’ is extended only to the Caretaker Government and the Opposition. However, I support providing the three unaligned independents with access to economic advice from the Secretary of Treasury and the Secretary of Finance under the same ‘caretaker convention’ parameters as the briefing that was afforded to me earlier this week.
I also support the provision of caretaker ministerial briefs to the three unaligned independents and I will make my shadow ministers similarly available to them next week.

An extension of the ‘caretaker convention’ briefings to include ‘the costings and impacts of Government and Opposition election promises and policies on the Budget’ requires additional considerations and would provide to the independents with a level of information that has not even been provided to the Opposition at this time.

I have considered the advice provided by the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet carefully and my Chief of Staff has held supplementary oral briefings with the Secretary. With this additional information, I make the following comments:

1)
The Opposition will support the provision of briefing information to the three unaligned independents that extend beyond the scope of normal ‘caretaker convention’ briefings in strict accordance with the proposal put forward by Secretary Moran in his advice dated 25 August 2010 at Attachment C with a number of additional caveats:
i.
That the Secretary of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet provide an undertaking that information provided to the Department in this process is kept confidential and not provided to the caretaker Prime
Minister or her office (I note he indicated a willingness to give this undertaking in his meeting with my Chief of Staff);
ii.
That the Secretary of the Treasury provide an undertaking that information provided to the Department in this process is kept confidential and not provided to the caretaker Treasurer or his office;
iii.
That the caretaker Government’s mining tax negotiated with BHP Billiton, Xstrata and Rio Tinto just prior to the election being called is subject to full costing by Treasury and that information is shared with the Opposition to provide a proper Budget assessment;
iv.
That the caretaker Government’s NBN proposal be subject to full costing by Treasury and that information is shared with the Opposition to provide a proper Budget assessment;

2)
That the final arrangements for consultations with the three unaligned independents as proposed in Attachment C is settled by Secretary Moran and Secretary Henry with my office;

3)
That the Coalition’s agreement to the release of information to the three unaligned independents is not taken to be agreement to release of information beyond the immediate parties and that any release or briefings to other independents or parties be subject to separate request and consultation; and

4)
That the Opposition makes it clear to the caretaker Government that it will vehemently oppose any release of the formal ‘Incoming Government Briefs’ prepared for a new or returned government. These briefs are prepared with particular recipients in mind and could not go to others without compromising the integrity of the Westminster process.

As a former Cabinet Minister, I regard preserving the confidentiality of these ‘Incoming Government Briefs’ as essential to the provision of frank and fearless advice by the public service.

I have copied this letter to the Secretary of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet Mr Terry Moran and the Secretary of Treasury, Mr Ken Henry.

Yours sincerely

TONY ABBOTT

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 7:34pm

Well it seems now that Abbott will become PM with a 76/74 majority. About time too!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #40 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 7:37pm

And who do you want for a PM ?

a backstabbing, billion $ losing, g/f of a hairdresser?

Or an Ironman who makes the right decision under pressure ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 7:52pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 7:37pm:
And who do you want for a PM ?

a backstabbing, billion $ losing, g/f of a hairdresser?

Abbott has earned the right with a significantly higher vote and a higher number of seats. (I am including tony crook who stood as a coalition member. changing his mind on the night of the election count is a bit late for the voters!)

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #42 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 8:09pm

longweekend58 wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 7:52pm:

A dubious claim clearly unsupported by his record.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #43 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 8:18pm

longweekend58 wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 7:52pm:
Abbott has earned the right with a significantly higher vote and a higher number of seats. (I am including tony crook who stood as a coalition member. changing his mind on the night of the election count is a bit late for the voters!)

Australian Labor Party      (votes)   5,366,947   (Percentage)  50.41%
Liberal/National Coalition   (votes)  5,279,156   (Percentage)  49.59%

Liberal                          44 divisions won

Australian Labor Party    72  divisions won

When the actual facts show the opposite is true do you then reverse your position to say that Gillard has earned the right or was your original uninformed position somewhat self serving and hypercritical?

IP Logged

shampain socialist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 8:24pm

as you can see, the situation is beyond measuring borderline majorities. That is not acceptable in this situation. Labor has suffered a massive landslide against it, and should not be permitted to form a minority government by falling over the line on technicalities. Unacceptable!!
To a lot of Australians, particularly given the track record of Labor in this last term, which has caused a LANDSLIDE AGAINST them.
Out. Stand aside.

Labor Marxist Feministas Unite!&&Take over the World! Nationalise spermbanks! Abolish Men!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print