Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Does Abbott think he has it in the bag? (Read 8550 times)
mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Does Abbott think he has it in the bag?
Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:17pm

I noted that the right wing media, led by the Australian, have started the Liberals push for another election to be held immediately.

Abbott clearly disappointed at not receiving the unquestioning subservience of the Independents, must think that if he goes back to the polls he will be a shoe in to get more votes, and somehow be able to form a government.

Am I alone in thinking that this is a very dodgy strategy for him to choose?

Does anyone think he has earned extra respect from the Australian public, with his behaviour, in the week since the Election, or actually lost some?

I can see that he currently thinks he has nothing to lose by choosing this option, but I think that is just indicative of how poor his judgement may be.

Maybe he is surrounded by extremist fanboys filling his, (not inconsiderable) Grin, ears, with rhetoric similar to some of the wilder musings that we have seen here, and he truly believes he deserves his time to rule.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

chicken_lipsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Townsville NQ
Re: Does Abbott think he has it in the bag?
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:26pm

For a moment there I thought you were implying that Tony has slipped one into Foolya. Grin

"Another boat, another policy failure from the Howard government"

Julia Gillard
Shadow Health Minister

IP Logged

Philby

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:28pm

mozzaok wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:17pm:
I noted that the right wing media, led by the Australian, have started the Liberals push for another election to be held immediately.

Abbott clearly disappointed at not receiving the unquestioning subservience of the Independents, must think that if he goes back to the polls he will be a shoe in to get more votes, and somehow be able to form a government.

Does anyone think he has earned extra respect from the Australian public, with his behaviour, in the week since the Election, or actually lost some?

I can see that he currently thinks he has nothing to lose by choosing this option, but I think that is just indicative of how poor his judgement may be.

Maybe he is surrounded by extremist fanboys filling his, (not inconsiderable) Grin, ears, with rhetoric similar to some of the wilder musings that we have seen here, and he truly believes he deserves his time to rule.

Yes you are alone.

I'm thinking that Abbott is rightly waiting until all the votes have been counted before declaring his hand on pretty much anything hence why he is dragging his heels on lots of issues. Rightly so too. The will of the people has not been shown fully yet.

IP Logged

nichy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:32pm

[quote author=mozzaok link=1282882659/0#0 date=1282882658]I noted that the right wing media, led by the Australian, have started the Liberals push for another election to be held immediately.

The only push (if you can call it that) by the media that I've seen, and I've checked out all the papers,  is that they are saying Windsor would seem to be leaning that way.

Maybe a House of reps. election might be a good thing,  hopefully give a clear result for one or other to govern without all the difficulties the minorities could cause either of the two majors.  Just a thought.

"He who does not value life does not deserve it." -- Leonardo da Vinci&&&&

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:41pm

Quote:
Maybe a House of reps. election might be a good thing,  hopefully give a clear result for one or other to govern without all the difficulties the minorities could cause either of the two majors.  Just a thought.

How so? The GREENS will still run and could well win their seat again the independents will win their seats again and I think we'll either end up with the same result, with maybe even more people voting for independents and GREENS.
The problem is BOTH MAJOR PARTIES SUCK and the voters have worked that out.
The only way I see a major party benefiting from another election is Labor getting back some of those GREENS first preference votes, but I cant see the coalition getting any more, the people who were pissed off with Labor mostly went to the GREENS, the coalition will not attract any new votes.

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

John S
Gold Member

Fascist Party = Liberal
Party

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:45pm

mozzaok wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:17pm:

I think if he forces another election so soon after this one the voters will punish him like no other party has been punish. It will be the end of the liberal party as we know it now.

It will be a Labor Goverment with a Green opposition.

'The worst Labor Government is always better then the best Liberal government for Australians workers'
IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:45pm

Do I think Abbott is pushing for a new election, YES
Do I think its a smart thing to do, NO
All the attack dogs like Ackerman are out there today calling for another election, everybody knows that Ackerman doesn't pick his nose without asking Abbott what to do with the resulting boogers.

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Please delete this smacking

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:46pm

Another election would be interesting - would the liblabs have any money for advertising??

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:00pm

John S wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:45pm:
I think if he forces another election so soon after this one the voters will punish him like no other party has been punish. It will be the end of the liberal party as we know it now.

Who knows what we'll end up with, but I think the Liberals will suffer as a result.

No-one wants to vote again. The expense is astronomical and what an extravagance for an economically conservative party to suggest more waste in the hope of self gain.  

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:12pm

I think if we were forced back to the polls that a record number would not even bother turning up. I won't vote again on principle. The result speaks for itself, if they can't accept it, bad luck.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #10 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:15pm

Please delete wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:46pm:
Another election would be interesting - would the liblabs have any money for advertising??

I don't think they should be allowed to campaign the way they did in the lead up to this one....rather should be expected to maintain a relative passive stance, this and allow the public to engage in the debate the way we weren't encouraged to do last time round as could be demonstrated by their having closed down numerous media-associated news message boards in the lead up to their last election campaign.

Even our leading media opinion-polls were biased, whereby only certain opinions were allowed to be posted on certain sites.

Murdoch - Left

Fairfax - right

Perhaps they should be granted fair and even media coverage...(so many hours)...this and only allowed so many self-funded adds (not at the public's expense).... this and be instructed to keep vicious 3rd party's out of their smear campaigns, like the Australian Workers Unions tacky "Abbott family" youtube clips and false scaremongering adds, they had hoped would go viral.

Rather ironic I thought, given it's the Labor party who appear to all be related to one-another.

How could we regulate the fair use of our media, so neither party exploits it for financial gain?

Also, electoral betting should be scrapped, it's down right unethical...and like all betting, only increases the odds of corruption and cheatery.

Not to mention false misleading figures, so as to appease the punters who bet their houses on them thinking they might cash in..

We need a more transparent and ethical electoral system, this is without a doubt, ideally an electoral reform decided by neither one party or the other, only for it to get changed again whenever someone else becomes PM.

The preference voting system is critically flawed, and is in need of reform.

People should be able to list their preferred independents without having to align themselves with their chosen representatives own preferences.

Cooli

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:21pm by mellie »  

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

vegitamite
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:16pm

I read that the only way they  can go straight to another election would be for the parliament to meet and be so deadlocked that no full-time government could be formed.

However, in the mean time...

So have Hockey and Robb, and maybe Abbott, committed a criminal offence by referring to the costings of the Coalition election promises an an 'Audit'?
petermartin.blogspot.com/.../...or-as-good-as.html

and

"Subsequently, I was informed by the Australian Electoral Commission that following an internal audit, an AEC employee had now admitted to improperly dealing with approximately 3000 ballot papers and that numerous potential breaches of the Commonwealth Electoral Act had occurred."
www.adelaidenow.com.au/.../story-fn5rhd15-1225910892936

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:18pm

mantra wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:00pm:
John S wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:45pm:

Who knows what we'll end up with, but I think the Liberals will suffer as a result.

No-one wants to vote again. The expense is astronomical and what an extravagance for an economically conservative party to suggest more waste in the hope of self gain.  

More waste? Since when was the ALP worried about waste?

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:18pm

I am more concerned with three people holding either side to randsom.

We will see pork barrelling of the highest order.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #14 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:19pm

A
Born-to-Rule
mindset is part of Liberal Party DNA

The Liberal Party of Australia has ALWAYS seen itself as a
government-in-exile
when on the opposition benches

Abbot thought he had it 'in the bag' before election day

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print