Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anathor Aussie killed this morning in Afghanistan (Read 2211 times)
athos
Gold Member

Re-educate barbarians

Hong Kong
Anathor Aussie killed this morning in Afghanistan
Aug 25th, 2010 at 9:53am

Its time to ask.
How many young Australains are going to be killed in an unwinnable war in Afghanistan?.
How many children will be left without fathers in early age of their lives?
How many young mothers are going to live on their own with young children and without loving husbands?
Howe many of them should suffer to fulfill dreams of corrupted politicians?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/7950634/australian-killed-in-afghanistan

An Australian soldier has been killed in an intense firefight with Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan.

The 28-year-old lance corporal, who has not been identified, was on a joint patrol with Afghani security forces when the insurgents attacked.
The battle lasted three hours, Defence Force Chief Angus Houston told a press conference a short time ago.
"Though immediate first aid was provided, the soldier was unable to be saved," he said.
"The soldier's family have been advised and have specifically requested that his name not be released at this early stage."
The experienced soldier, from the sixth battalion, was on his fourth operation deployment and his second to Afghanistan.
He leaves behind a wife and young family, Air Chief Marshal Houston said.
"He was very popular with his platoon and displayed good humour even in times of stress."
"This was a soldier devoted to duty, his mates, and the Australian army values of courage, initiative and teamwork."
The dead man was the 21st Australian soldier to die in Afghanistan since 2001.
"There is absolutely no doubt that this has been a very tough two-and-a-half months for the Australian army," Air Chief Marshal Houston said.

Do we need to be always politically correct.
In the world of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Re: Anathor Aussie killed this morning in Afghanistan
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 10:27am

Sad for their families, but something has to wake the powers-that-be up to the fact that this war serves no purpose.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

athos
Gold Member

Re-educate barbarians

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 11:58am

... wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 10:27am:
Sad for their families, but something has to wake the powers-that-be up to the fact that this war serves no purpose.

I entirely agree.
It’s not only sad but the awful tragedies that should be addressed and to some degree understood if we try to put ourselves in the position of those unfortunate families.
I am just wondering how many of those advocates of this war sent their children to Afghanistan?.

Do we need to be always politically correct.
In the world of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

IP Logged

chicken_lipsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Townsville NQ
Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 1:17pm

I feel very sad for the family of this man.
I have and still always believed we have no business being there propping up a corrupt government.
A three hour gunfight is a very long time, I wonder if they had artillery or aircraft support at that time?

"Another boat, another policy failure from the Howard government"

Julia Gillard
Shadow Health Minister

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 2:05pm

hey chook

Angus Houston, stated that they had air support during the contact, it would be very likely that this would be correct, the US has aircraft up the wazzoo.

It is very sad, but it is part of the job. RIP Digger

IP Logged

chicken_lipsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Townsville NQ
Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 2:08pm

Thanks bigol.

"Another boat, another policy failure from the Howard government"

Julia Gillard
Shadow Health Minister

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 2:36pm

Local people are between rock and not so hard place. On one side there is Local Force, that can execute them and on the other side is soft approach military with all the rules of engagement, one could compare to at least one hand tied behind ones back.

So choice is not so difficult, just cooperate with outsiders during brief encounters and do what they are told to do the rest of time.

For our military to be safer, we would have to totally separate from the locals, who time and again proved that mostly willingly or not they are just moles.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 4:16pm

Ya know, I often wonder about these sorts of Threads.  Yes, it is a fact that another Digger lost his Life today doing the job he signed up to do.  It's not really surprising that when there are guns and bullets and a War Zone, someone involved will inevitably get in harm's way.  After that three hour engagement, there very likely are many Afghan families who have also lost a Father, Husband or Brother.  Should we be there?

Well, if I have read the Reports correctly, there is not one of the Families of our lost Diggers who have railed against our presence there.  Quite the reverse, in fact.

They plead with us...."Please do not make our loss one for nothing.  Stay the course, and finish the job."

What is that job?

My elder Brother (a recently retired Brigadier) says it is to make big rocks into little rocks.  The Politicians say it is to root out Terrorists and their places of training and safety.

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2010 at 5:31pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 7:23pm

How much would you be willing to sacrifice to bring democracy to Afghanistan? Are you willing to condemn them to anothe 50 years of brutal dictatorship?

As far as wars go, this one is pretty tame, at least for our side.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 9:39pm

freediver wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 7:23pm:
How much would you be willing to sacrifice to bring democracy to Afghanistan? Are you willing to condemn them to anothe 50 years of brutal dictatorship?

As far as wars go, this one is pretty tame, at least for our side.

I don't reckon anyone really believes this is about democracy in Afghanistan.  It is either about:

(a)  Making big rocks into little rocks, or
(b)  Attacking the Haven for Muslim Terrorism.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print