Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
a hung parliament and changing governments (Read 8808 times)
locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Re: a hung parliament and changing governments
Reply #15 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 12:11pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Aug 24th, 2010 at 11:41am:
Its so obvios now that Australian Politics, much like a lot of other Political Industries around the world, finds it hard to work as a 'TEAM'.
Thats right. Seems Australian Political Parties can't work together for the betterment of this country and its people. The idea of only one party having POWER is the only idea they have.
We and I say WE THE PEOPLE, voted and the Political Industry here in Australia must learn to adapt, even if this means moving away from the UK & USA systems and into new territory.
The fact that the Voting process is MANDATORY, ie "everyone has voted", proves that the PEOPLE have spoken and done what has been expected of them.
Labor & Liberal have to come to terms with the fact that , "hey, life ain't mean't to be easy".

Damn me if I'm gonna have another weekend taken away from me for another MANDATORY Vote. Every dog has its day and the Political Industry has just had its.
If Australia is FORCED to vote AGAIN (and again...and again), I can only see even more votes for the Greens and the Independents - so whats the problem!?
Labor & Liberal MUST get on with each other and the Greens and the Independents ...there doesn't have to be 'ONE' to ensure EMPOWERMENT of Governance.
Maybe though, this is the failing of Federal Governance in comparison to the State level, or even Provincial, or even local Council ???

Jack Nicolson (Invaders from Mars) "Why can't we all just ...get along?"

Yes Jas, the bottom line is that they asked us to vote and we did. They have their decision now. Work with it and live with it.

I have no faith that either major party really have the countries best interests at heart and no concept of planning for a future.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #16 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 1:30pm

Life_goes_on wrote on Aug 24th, 2010 at 12:03pm:
Quote:
Sure, and I'll make it easy for you.....from +5.44% down to zero is a change of ......5.44%..

From zero down to -2.04 is a change of ......2.04%

5.44%+
 2.04%
= 7.48%

see, it's easy isn't it????

Ummmmm no.
A "swing" is the relative change in votes (in %) when compared to the previous election.

The 5.44% swing to Labor in 2007 was relative to the 2004 election.
The 2.04% swing against Labor in 2010 is relative to the 2007 election.
In both cases the previous election is the baseline (0%).

If you want to compare 2010 to 2004 then the result is still a +3.4% swing to Labor.

So you don't think that going from an 18 seat majority (after the 2007 election) to a potential hung parliment in 2010 is an indication of voter dissatisfaction with the Labor Party???

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #17 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 1:33pm

Quote:
So you don't think that going from an 18 seat majority (after the 2007 election) to a potential hung parliment in 2010 is an indication of voter dissatisfaction with the Labor Party???

Not at all.
I was just pulling you up on your apparent very poor understanding of what a "swing" is.

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #18 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 1:42pm

Life_goes_on wrote on Aug 24th, 2010 at 1:33pm:
Quote:

Not at all.
I was just pulling you up on your apparent very poor understanding of what a "swing" is.

Ok fair enough....I failed maths at school....lol

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #19 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 1:49pm

Quote:
Ok fair enough....I failed maths at school....lol

That's okay. I failed HSC economics. 15/100.

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

A fool is certain: an
ignorant fool, absolutely
so

Reply #20 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 3:00pm

locutius wrote on Aug 24th, 2010 at 12:11pm:
... the bottom line is that they asked us to vote and we did. They have their decision now. Work with it and live with it.

I have no faith that either major party really have the countries best interests at heart and no concept of planning for a future.

Which is precisely the message the electorate has sent. A hung parliament (what a marvelous image - no, that would be a hanged parliament - nice idea though). Basically, we've said that neither Labor nor the Coalition is fit to govern.

Party machines have been blamed for the parlous state of Australian politics, but they have been around for a long time. The problem seems to be that the machines have become too focused on staying in power. That leads them to neglect the job of running the country.

Australian democracy has become government of the people, by the party, for the party. That needs to change.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #21 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 3:04pm

# wrote on Aug 24th, 2010 at 3:00pm:
... the bottom line is that they asked us to vote and we did. They have their decision now. Work with it and live with it.

Which is precisely the message the electorate has sent. A hung parliament (what a marvelous image - no, that would be a hanged parliament - nice idea though). Basically, we've said that neither Labor nor the Coalition is fit to govern.

Party machines have been blamed for the parlous state of Australian politics, but they have been around for a long time. The problem seems to be that the machines have become too focused on staying in power. That leads them to neglect the job of running the country.

Australian democracy has become government of the people, by the party, for the party. That needs to change.

Very true David......most politicians and political parties these days seem more concerned with 'getting what they can, while the getting is good' instead of helping the poor bastards who voted them in.....

Sad, but true

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #22 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 3:35pm

They need to 'go to work' as they are.
For once, they are forced to sit down and 'work together' for solutions and policies.
If 10 of us are Novelists, but I get MY novel up and running at the cost of all your novels being shelved,
but now,
I'm forced to sit down with the rest of you as we ALL come up with a good, if not better Novel.
(kinda sounds like a Forum?)

Hopefully, we won't have another Election in the hope of giving 'one party' the majority. In a way I doubt this as I think the Public are finding this situation somewhat fascinating and are more than likely to vote Greens/Independents more so.

Teamwork!

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Australia's hung Parliament explained
Reply #23 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 7:14pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/23/2990782.htm

As Australia stares down the barrel of a hung Parliament, here's a look at what it all means.

What is a hung Parliament?

A hung Parliament results when no party has more than half the MPs in the House of Representatives, which means no party can pass laws without gaining support from other parties or independent members of the House.

That support could come in the form of a formal coalition, or the governing party may have to negotiate with the other parties to get laws passed.

How did we get here?

There are 150 members of the House of Representatives, so to have an outright majority one of the parties needs to hold 76 seats. Neither Labor nor the Coalition looks likely to reach that point.

Instead, they'll have to negotiate with the three sitting independents who have been re-elected - Tony Windsor, Bob Katter and Rob Oakeshott - as well as the Greens' Adam Bandt, who has won the seat of Melbourne.

A fourth independent, Andrew Wilkie, may come into the mix, as he is locked in a tight battle with Labor for the seat of Denison in Tasmania.

It's not clear just yet exactly how many seats Labor and the Coalition will hold (because it's not certain who has won a few very close races) but they both look set to fall three or four seats short of a majority.

How long will it take before the seats are finalised?

ABC election analyst Antony Green says it could take up until Tuesday August 31 before the closest seats, in particular Hasluck, are decided. This is due to the timeframes required for counting postal and absentee votes.

What happens now?

Essentially, a whole lot of horse-trading.

Both Labor and the Coalition will attempt to convince the independents and Mr Bandt to provide them with the support needed to get the required 76 votes on the floor of Parliament.

This could involve winning the support of individuals separately, or as a bloc. Mr Windsor, Mr Katter and Mr Oakeshott plan to meet before deciding what to do next.

Who is running the country while this happens?

Julia Gillard remains the caretaker prime minister and her Government remains in the caretaker role it has played since the election was called.

This will remain the case until one side of politics can convince Governor-General Quentin Bryce it has the numbers to form a government.

What is the Governor-General's role?

Constitutional experts say there's nothing explicit about hung Parliaments in Australia's Constitution. Instead, these situations are resolved via a set of unwritten rules originating in the United Kingdom. Despite being unwritten, these conventions are considered clear and well-established.

Under these conventions, the governor-general acts on the advice of the caretaker prime minister.

If Ms Gillard is able to win enough support from the independents and Mr Bandt, she would advise Ms Bryce that she intended to form a government. Ms Bryce would then swear in Ms Gillard and her ministers, and Labor would test its support on the floor of Parliament via a no-confidence motion brought by the Opposition.

The fresh government would need the support of 76 members to survive the vote.

If, on the other hand, it becomes clear that the Coalition has won enough support to form a government, the usual course of events would be for Ms Gillard to resign and advise Ms Bryce to send for Liberal leader Tony Abbott.

Is this situation unprecedented?

This is the first hung Parliament at a Commonwealth level in Australia since 1940.

On that occasion, Robert Menzies was able to form and lead a coalition government, but subsequently lost support and was succeeded by Arthur Fadden in mid-1941. Later that year, two independents switched their support to Labor and John Curtin became prime minister.

However, Australia has had quite a bit of experience with hung parliaments and minority governments at the state level:

* Most recently, the 2010 Tasmanian election resulted in a hung Parliament, with Labor forming a minority government with two Greens as members of Cabinet;
    * The 2008 Western Australian election also resulted in a minority government; on that occasion, the Liberal Party under Colin Barnett formed government with the support of the National Party and three independents;
    * South Australian Premier Mike Rann led a minority government after the 2002 election in that state, having recruited an independent MP and a National MP into his Cabinet room;
    * In the 1990s, Nick Greiner led a minority government in New South Wales, notably relying on the support of Tony Windsor, one of the federal independents now in a position to help decide the fate of national politics;
    * Victoria and Queensland have also had minority governments in recent decades.

Why should a handful of independents get to decide who forms our government?

Under Australia's system of democracy, governments are formed based on the make-up of Parliament. Simply put, the likely make-up of our next Parliament means a government can only be formed with the support of the independents and one Green MP.

What do they base their decisions on?

Each member of Parliament can choose to support either side of politics for whatever reasons they want to.

Though there may be pressure to take into account which party wins the most seats or has the highest primary or two-party preferred vote, they're under no obligation to do so.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Australia's hung Parliament explained
Reply #24 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 7:14pm

Greens MP Adam Bandt indicated before the election that he wouldn't support a Coalition government, so his intentions are clearer than most.

The three sitting independents - Mr Windsor, Mr Katter and Mr Oakeshott - have indicated they plan to meet behind closed doors before making any decisions.

Associate Professor Anne Twomey from the University of Sydney Law School says independent MPs and small parties who find themselves in a position of power via a hung Parliament are "usually very interested in making government more accountable to the people and so those are the sorts of conditions they tend to put on (their support)".

In the past, sweeteners for independents' local constituencies have also come into play. Broadband and regional telecommunications are likely to be talking points between the independents and the major parties.

Is there a chance we'll have another election?

Ms Twomey says there's a strong convention against having a new election immediately after the old one.

"The convention is the Parliament should be given a reasonable time to run and to sort out a government," she says.

However, if neither Labor nor the Coalition is able to marshall a parliamentary majority and survive a vote of no confidence, Ms Bryce may be left with no other option.

How long can this drag on?

Technically, the deadline for ending the impasse is whenever Parliament sits.

The Constitution says Parliament must sit within 30 days of the return of the election writs. The last possible date for the return of the writs is October 27, meaning Parliament would have to sit in November.

In reality, there will be considerable pressure to end the deadlock much sooner than that. However, any solution seems unlikely before final counting wraps up during the week starting August 29.

Where does the Senate come into this?

The make-up of the House of Representatives determines who is able to form government. The Greens will hold the balance of power in the new Senate. So whoever ends up forming a minority government faces the prospect of negotiating with their partners in the Lower House and the Greens in the Upper House to get laws passed.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #25 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 7:40pm

Hi David, welcome to OzPolitic.

That is a great first post to start off with as well, I think you have voiced an opinion that many millions of Aussies share.

I am more excited about the result of this election than any since 1972.

Back then I hoped that a government that had been in power my whole life, had been the problem, and a change of government would fix everything.
I was young, naive, and very, very wrong.

Now I see a parliament without either party holding a clear majority, and some previously obscure independents, talking about parliament getting behind the principle of true LOCAL representation, where each member voices the needs, and concerns of their own electorates, but  also choose to work together, to decide on national issues that would reflect the wishes of the majority of the public.

Very, very few aussies get involved with political parties, and the machinations of all the lobbying and back room dealings that decide who gets to even put their hand up to go to the electorate to seek a mandate is something we do not follow, or really understand.
We do however get the sense that we are being taken for granted, and taken for a ride, by both the major parties, with their factions, and numbers men, and head kickers, and I think this is a great chance for us to send them the message that we are all heartily sick of it.

Winning power, needs to be about something more than just winning power, and then struggling to keep it.

I may no longer be young, but I hope I am not being too naive in hoping that some of the pollies will reflect on the message the people are trying to send, we do want a change, but not just a change between either a traditional Liberal or Labor government, but a change to a more representative government for us all.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #26 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 8:23pm

Equitist wrote on Aug 24th, 2010 at 11:34am:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Aug 24th, 2010 at 11:22am:
HAhaha....."dogmatists like Abbott, AF2R, Gizmo"?????Dogmatist???

A first time liberal voter is a dogmatist now????

And the 'hint' from the Electorate was firmly aimed at Labor....

Think about for a sec.......in the 2007 election, Labor had a 5.4%+ swing......
2 yrs & 9months later Labor has a 2.04%- swing......That's a change of 7.48%
....And most of it has happened in the last 5 months...

Hey Gizmo, hahaha, you wanna check your maths and get back to us - ta!?

5.44%?

Politicians and Nappies need to be changed often and for the same reason.

One trouble with political jokes is that they often get elected.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

A fool is certain: an
ignorant fool, absolutely
so

Reply #27 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 8:51pm

mozzaok wrote on Aug 24th, 2010 at 7:40pm:

Thanks mozzaok.

The result has certainly made things interesting. Then again, after the most boring, predictable, formulaic campaign I've ever seen, watching paint dry would be comparatively exciting.

... a parliament without either party holding a clear majority, and some previously obscure independents, talking about parliament getting behind the principle of true LOCAL representation, where each member voices the needs, and concerns of their own electorates, but  also choose to work together, to decide on national issues that would reflect the wishes of the majority of the public.

Very, very few aussies get involved with political parties, and the machinations of all the lobbying and back room dealings that decide who gets to even put their hand up to go to the electorate to seek a mandate is something we do not follow, or really understand.
We do however get the sense that we are being taken for granted, and taken for a ride, by both the major parties, with their factions, and numbers men, and head kickers, and I think this is a great chance for us to send them the message that we are all heartily sick of it.

Winning power, needs to be about something more than just winning power, and then struggling to keep it.

I may no longer be young, but I hope I am not being too naive in hoping that some of the pollies will reflect on the message the people are trying to send, we do want a change, but not just a change between either a traditional Liberal or Labor government, but a change to a more representative government for us all.

If memory serves, our constitution doesn't mention political parties. The Prime Minister is anyone who can show they have the support of at least half of the elected members. A party just provides a prearranged support base. Unfortunately, the parties have taken on lives of their own.

I fear the politicians are not yet listening. Not those in the major parties, at least.

Where did we go wrong? How can we fix it?

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #28 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 8:52pm

Well said Mozza !
I do think that Australians have found this election very exciting more for the outcome than for the likes of Gillard & Abbott.
Also, I know I whinge about being 'forced' to do a 'mandatory' vote under duress of a fine ($20 -$500). But I can't help but think now, that the Australian Parliment is 'shackled' to the will of the People.
I personally think Australia is on the brink of something that no other nation has achieved 'politically' - a system that really does fall to the power of the people, more so than any other system has tried to achieve ...while other systems just don't bother.
I give it x50 years before the Governor-General and the Prime Minister are nothing more than the weakest expression of Politics in this Nation - nothing more than 'go-betweens' to other nations (UK/USA).
No-one is interested in Australian Politics when you only have a choice between Twiddle-Dee and Twiddle-Dum, but now - the potential to see a lot more Independents representing all facets of Australian society coming together to vote upon the ISSUE rather than a Party empowerment.
I'm kinda excited ...I can see a Republic coming on !!! Cool

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

John S
Gold Member

Fascist Party = Liberal
Party

Reply #29 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 9:05pm

That is a great first post to start off with as well, I think you have voiced an opinion that many millions of Aussies share.

Back then I hoped that a government that had been in power my whole life, had been the problem, and a change of government would fix everything.
I was young, naive, and very, very wrong.

Now I see a parliament without either party holding a clear majority, and some previously obscure independents, talking about parliament getting behind the principle of true LOCAL representation, where each member voices the needs, and concerns of their own electorates, but  also choose to work together, to decide on national issues that would reflect the wishes of the majority of the public.

I would like to see a system brought in where the consituents select who stands for what party. Something like the primaries in the USA.

It could work something like this, when you fill out your application form to registry to vote, have an optional question on what political party do you follow, you could change it anytime you want, but only once in a 3 year period.

Then say 9 months before the election any member from any political party can nominate to the Electoral Office that they want stand in the seat.

Then 3 months later the Electoral Office has an voluntary postal election on who you want stand for the party you nominated. Make it so if the Wham Bham party holds the seat any one from that party can still nominate to stand at the next election. That way you wouldn't have someone think because they are in a safe seat thay are there for life.

'The worst Labor Government is always better then the best Liberal government for Australians workers'
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print