Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Abbott pledges end to marine park expansions (Read 4791 times)
pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Abbott pledges end to marine park expansions
Reply #15 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 9:16pm

freediver wrote on Aug 11th, 2010 at 8:20pm:
Quote:
PS the NSW coalition promised to abolish 2 marine parks and review the zoning of the remaining ones.

Tell me more about this please PJ. I would hate for people to think you were a naive sucker getting screwed by the coalition once again.

Can you make a point without being so crude and obnoxious? Actually it's not much of a point anyway. Do you agree that we have to be guided by what a party is promising prior to an election? Getting back to the federal election, besides promising to delay the planning process for further Commonwealth marine parks they will use the delay to have a proper consultation process with fishermen. They are pointing to outcomes like the Tasmanian marine parks which had very little impact on recreational fishermen.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/coalition-fishes-for-coastal-votes-over-marine-parks-plan/story-fn59niix-1225897727616

LABOR is at risk of losing key coastal seats around the country as a result of a grassroots campaign by fishermen.
The fishermen are angry over the government's plan to create a large network of marine parks.

The issue has sparked an underground political movement driven by blogs and social media pages, targeting marginal seats in coastal areas.

Tony Abbott's pledge yesterday to put the parks on hold shows the Coalition is convinced this could be a pivotal issue in some seats.

The Opposition Leader pledged only to suspend the creation of the parks before consulting stakeholders, not to stop them altogether. But that was enough to trigger a favourable response yesterday among bloggers, a Coalition source said.

Environment Minister Peter Garrett has promised to consult further before making a decision next year, but fishing groups claim the consultation is not genuine.

Mr Garrett has proposed a network of marine parks covering an area of more than five million square kilometres, or 38 per cent of Australia's fishing zone.

Some of the parks would allow fishing to continue, but Mr Garrett wants a vast Coral Sea park covering one million square kilometres to be a no-take zone.

Complicating the issue is the creation of coastal marine parks by state governments. The NSW government is accused of consulting with fishermen about where they fish, and then shutting down the most popular areas.

In NSW, the bellwether seat of Eden-Monaro, held by Labor, has extensive coastal areas, as does the marginal seat of Page in the north, also held by Labor. And four seats in Queensland affected by the Coral Sea park would be lost to the Coalition with a swing of less than 2.5 per cent.

Opposition spokesman for fisheries Richard Colbeck has been in contact with commercial and recreational fishing groups around the country. He said the recreational fishermen were "pretty filthy, quite animated" in their opposition to the NSW government's handling of the issue, and were "highly organised" in coastal seats.

Senator Colbeck said the Coalition would go ahead with the marine parks, but its consultation would be more inclusive.

"We will still be putting in place marine parks," he said. "But let's put a hold on this process, put in place bioregional panels, then start developing boundaries and a management plan based on the information on the table."

Senator Colbeck said the groups he had been in touch with were not opposed to marine parks, but they wanted to be part of the process and "have a genuine say".

Tasmania had proved it was possible to create marine parks and achieve a win for both the environment and fishing.

Senator Colbeck said his experience of the Tasmanian process five years ago had shown that with proper consultation the state government had created an even bigger marine park area, while cutting the impact on fishing by 90 per cent.

In Queensland, the Townsville-based seat of Herbert, which is held by just 0.4 per cent, would be left with a narrow corridor for fishing, the no-take zone starting 200km offshore and then stretching for about 1000km to the edge of Australia's maritime frontier.

The Gladstone-based seat of Flynn, held by 2.3 per cent, would also be affected
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2010 at 9:21pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 9:44pm

Quote:
Do you agree that we have to be guided by what a party is promising prior to an election?

Sure. But only the promises they actually make. Not the ones where they let you read what you desperately want between the lines without actually saying it. Lets see that promise from the coalition to abolish 2 marine parks eh?

Quote:
The Opposition Leader pledged only to suspend the creation of the parks before consulting stakeholders, not to stop them altogether. But that was enough to trigger a favourable response yesterday among bloggers, a Coalition source said.

OMG, that says it all. They didn't even promise no more parks in this term. Just that they would 'consult' the public and keep doing whatever it is they wanted to do. How gullible are you people?

As for crudeness, I remember my time on the fishing forums how they always used to joke about passing the KY every time politics came up. I just never realised they were asking for it. It's like watching a schoolgirl being courted by a pimp.

Quote:
Environment Minister Peter Garrett has promised to consult further before making a decision next year, but fishing groups claim the consultation is not genuine.

And it gets even funnier. They trust a temporary suspension from the party that gave them the GBR marine parks on the back of fishing party preferences, but if Labor makes the same promise of nothing they can suddenly see through the spin.

Quote:
"We will still be putting in place marine parks," he said. "But let's put a hold on this process, put in place bioregional panels, then start developing boundaries and a management plan based on the information on the table."

So basically the coalition is openly telling you there will be more marine parks, but because they are labelling the standard consultation process a 'halt' you think you have gained something?

It seems to me that the anti marine park lobby will do anything to get the politicians to give them what they ask for, even if it means asking for more marine parks.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 8:12am

You missing the main point (a habit of yours). If the parks are like the Tasmanian marine parks (as suggested) then there will be lttle impact on recreational fishing.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 9:41am

Grin

And it gets even more absurd. Tell me PJ, why did the federal government put the Tasmanian parks offshore? Was it

a) because they didn't want to upset recreational fishermen who fish closer to the shore, or

b) because federal waters are way offshore and they have no jurisdiction along the shoreline

???

There is no discernable difference between how the two parties respond to the fishing lobby (based on actions and outcomes - words are a different matter). Federally, the coalition has done far more against the interests of the anti marine aprk lobby than labor. For some reason, the fishing parties go through all sorts of tortuous mental gymnastics to avoid blaming the coalition for any of this, then latch onto any soothing words the coalition sends them, regardless of what the coalition actually does. Regardless even of what the coalition says.

In this case, the coaltion has not actually promised them a single thing that is not already standard practice. They have merely promised them business as usual, but just wrapped it up in words that can allow the fishing parties to appear slightly less impotent to their devoted followers, even if it means leading them up the garden path once more.

BTW, where is that promise the NSW coalition made to abolish two marine paks? Was it just wishing thinking after all?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 6:36pm

date=1281570078] Grin

And it gets even more absurd. Tell me PJ, why did the federal government put the Tasmanian parks offshore? Was it

a) because they didn't want to upset recreational fishermen who fish closer to the shore, or

b) because federal waters are way offshore and they have no jurisdiction along the shoreline

???

Wrong on both, twit. They don't have jurastiction close to shore but they do at the 3nm mark (hardly way offshore).

There is no discernable difference between how the two parties respond to the fishing lobby (based on actions and outcomes - words are a different matter).

Looking forward we only have their words to go by. The past is not a guide to the future (except for the simple minded like you).

Federally, the coalition has done far more against the interests of the anti marine aprk lobby than labor. For some reason, the fishing parties go through all sorts of tortuous mental gymnastics to avoid blaming the coalition for any of this, then latch onto any soothing words the coalition sends them, regardless of what the coalition actually does. Regardless even of what the coalition says.

What they say looks very good indeed. What they do is in the future, we have to be guided by what they say. If they pick up enough coastal seats over this issue to carry them over the line I hardly think they are going to shaft the people that helped them win office.

In this case, the coaltion has not actually promised them a single thing that is not already standard practice. They have merely promised them business as usual, but just wrapped it up in words that can allow the fishing parties to appear slightly less impotent to their devoted followers, even if it means leading them up the garden path once more.

It's a grass roots issue. Not one of devoted follows of fishing party.  Favouable treatment of fishing interest is not standard practice (except in Tasmania). You have yourself said that fishermen got screwed over in the GBR. Do you really beleive the drivel you post?

BTW, where is that promise the NSW coalition made to abolish two marine paks? Was it just wishing thinking after all?

I said that was before the last election.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 7:09pm

The Tasmanian aprroach to marine parks (and what the federal coalition is offering) can be seen from the following:

A publication  for Anglers Action Group reports:

" TASMANIA SAYS NO TO MARINE PARKS
  The Tasmanian Government has completed their MPA process after looking at 14 proposed marine parks and zoning plans around their coastline. And the minister for primary industry and water, David Llewellyn, sent to all holders of recreational fishing licences, on  March 19th a letter which promises fishers that the State Government will not create, around Tasmania any new marine parks where recreational fishing is banned."

Further to this AA writes
  "the Lennon Government has pledged never to agree to the latest recommendations of Tasmania's main planning body, the Resource Planning and Development Commission (RPDC), to establish 14  new marine reserves in the southeast".

And further unlike, NSW Government strategy, they write,
    "Apparently, Mr. Llewellyn's letter to fish licence holders said" The Government's position is that it will not agree to recommendations that would adversely affect fishers. The Government believes that the management of fish stocks is very well administrated, it will not be agreeing to any recommendations that restrict or prevent traditional fishing activities of recreational or commercial fishers"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 7:32pm

Quote:
You have yourself said that fishermen got screwed over in the GBR.

I said the fishing party got screwed. Nothing wrong with being fooled once of course. But being fooled the same way again and again and again is entirely different.

Quote:

So where is it? Can you quote the promise? Or is it unquotable now that they lost the election? I am not asking you to show that they kept their promise. I am merely asking you to show that they actually made their promise. After all, you are the one who brought it up. Or is this yet another example of you thinking a politician is saying something that they aren't actually saying?

Quote:
The past is not a guide to the future (except for the simple minded like you).

Sounds like a convenient way to ignore the fact that the coalition screwed over the fishing party in the past so they can keep falling for the same old lines. Those who don't learn the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat them. This example of latching onto Abbott's words, or rather what you think he said but didn't actually say, is a great example of history repeating.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 9:41pm

] Quote:
You have yourself said that fishermen got screwed over in the GBR.

I said the fishing party got screwed. Nothing wrong with being fooled once of course. But being fooled the same way again and again and again is entirely different.

So saying something three times will make it happen?

Quote:

So where is it? Can you quote the promise? Or is it unquotable now that they lost the election? I am not asking you to show that they kept their promise. I am merely asking you to show that they actually made their promise. After all, you are the one who brought it up. Or is this yet another example of you thinking a politician is saying something that they aren't actually saying?

Who knows where it is now? The slate was wiped clean when they lost the election. Why don't you search your own site seeing it has come up before.

Quote:
The past is not a guide to the future (except for the simple minded like you).

Sounds like a convenient way to ignore the fact that the coalition screwed over the fishing party in the past so they can keep falling for the same old lines. Those who don't learn the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat them. This example of latching onto Abbott's words, or rather what you think he said but didn't actually say, is a great example of history repeating.

As I have said there not likely to shaft a group which helps them win government. In the case of the GBRMPA we didn't know what we were voting for. Not the case now with a distinct difference between the two parties. And lets not forget the preference partners of Labor who want 30% of Aust waters NTZ's.   

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 10:35pm

Quote:
Who knows where it is now? The slate was wiped clean when they lost the election. Why don't you search your own site seeing it has come up before.

You want me to search for a quote that doesn't exist? Or will any old quote from any NSW coalition member that fails to make this promise do? You made the claim, so you back it up. I am not interested in whatever slate you keep with the coalition. I am just interested in your reading comprehension skills. I want to know whether you are able to see what a politician is actually saying rather than what you hope they are saying. Or did the words magically disappeared after the election?

Quote:
As I have said there not likely to shaft a group which helps them win government.

Grin

That's exaclt what they did, remember? But you think it's water under the bridge and it won't happen again because we should ignore their history and go by the promises you think they make but which they don't actually say?

Quote:
In the case of the GBRMPA we didn't know what we were voting for.

You don't appear to know what you are voting for this time either.

Quote:
Not the case now with a distinct difference between the two parties.

Explain the difference to me. If it helps use quotes.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print