Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Should Religion Be Exempt From Law? (Read 2576 times)
____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Re: Should Religion Be Exempt From Law?
Reply #15 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 7:09am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 3:18pm:
no, religion is not exempt from the law.

likewise, the law cannot force a voluntary organisation to do what that organistaion is opposed to.
the organisation can close it's doors and many people will be at a loss

I am totally against homos having kids

I spent my childhood as a state ward in a foster home with heterosexual careers ... it was an extremely unhappy experience. I would of loved to be adopted by anyone ... single, gay couple, heterosexual couples whatever.

Yet heterosexual couples didn't want me ... gay couples and singles were not allowed.

Perhaps its time to stop the hatred and start thinking of the children.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #16 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 7:22am

Quote:
I spent my childhood as a state ward in a foster home with heterosexual careers

How do you know they were normal? Maybe they were closet cases.

Quote:
it was an extremely unhappy experience. I would of loved to be adopted by anyone ... single, gay couple, heterosexual couples whatever.

Although I feel sorry for that, I don't think you should take the opinion that you'd prefer anyone take you. Would you like junkies for instance to have taken you?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #17 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 7:44am

abu_rashid wrote on Aug 11th, 2010 at 7:22am:
Quote:
I spent my childhood as a state ward in a foster home with heterosexual careers

How do you know they were normal? Maybe they were closet cases.

Quote:
it was an extremely unhappy experience. I would of loved to be adopted by anyone ... single, gay couple, heterosexual couples whatever.

Although I feel sorry for that, I don't think you should take the opinion that you'd prefer anyone take you. Would you like junkies for instance to have taken you?

_/_/_/

The foster careers had over 30, that's 30 children in their home over a period of years. I was the last and maybe this was part of the reason for my experience. As for the majority of children, they did a great job.

Also many of the children that spent time in the home were from abusive heterosexual couple parents ... I know at least one ended up in a mental institution and one ended up as a prostitute. A pair of twins was forced to work before and after school picking fruit and vegetables for no money and they where beaten. This is just a sample of the thirty.

At school, I heard other experiences from maltreated children from heterosexual parented children.

So yes some heterosexual couples make great parents ... and some should be banned from being near children.

_/_/_/

As for me being put into a home of a single parent or a gay couple as a child. I am sure I would of had a better chance of experiencing a better childhood as I did under heterosexual careers.

Single, defacto, gay couples or heterosexual parents ... all have the potential of giving loving homes to children.

Stop punishing children by forcing them into spending their childhood in institutions because there are not enough people to adopt.

Take a potential parent on their ability to love the child, rather than their partnership relation.

Put the children first for a change by burying your hatred of gay people.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 7:48am

I agree with greensy here. I don't see any genuine harm coming to a child by being raised by gays. I don't think they will miss out on learning from role models. Being a good role model for a chuild is a bit more subtle than showing them who to have sex with.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #19 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 8:30am

That's a pretty touching post Greens.
It conjures images of a human child being treated like a puppy in a lost dogs home just waiting for somebody to give them a home.

Yeah, I'm sure that anybody willing to jump through the required hoops in order to provide a child a home would've been well worthy.
I doubt if it would've mattered one iota if it were a hetero or gay person/couple taking you to the circus or to the zoo, etc.

But nevermind too much if you can. Not many of us had the perfect childhood as portrayed on television anyway. The grass always appears a couple of shades greener than it actually is.
Many a child in a legally socially acceptable home has felt themselves to  be unwanted or a burden as well. And if the parents are abusive, then there is probably little choice other than to take the child away from an abusive environment.
But the logic in taking a child away from a place that some feeling of home to a place that has no feeling of home is debatable.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 9:49am

I agree green, love is love, a good home is a good home. Who cares if the carer/provider is gay or straight, it comes down to the people involved. A loving family can be a combination of many things, and I've seen kids reared by homosexual couples, they seem fairly well adjusted, although I do wonder if they get a lot of ribbing at school, and if they get help to cope with that. Then again kids get picked on at school for any manner of reasons, so I suppose it's no different, and they learn coping mechanisms.

I like most of the greens policies, they are a more free-thinking lot.

I don't think the cardinal can call any group 'sweet camouflaged poison' bit hypocritical in my view lol

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #21 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 9:58am

Sweet camouflaged poison? Is that another name for a pedophile in a priest's robe?

I think it's a bit precious of the churches to take a superior moral stance on this given their history of inaction.

With Abu Bakar Bashir's arrest by Indonesian authorities this week, I definitely don't see the Muslims taking superior moral ground either.

It seems to be a common theme within religions - inaction against barbarity of one form or another.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 10:57am

<<It seems to be a common theme within religions - inaction against barbarity of one form or another. >>
................................................................................

True, inaction against barbarity if it is performed in the name of their particular religion. Yet, if it is some other religion, they are all too eager to jump up and down.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 12:17am

abu_rashid wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 9:13pm:
soren,

Quote:
Are you suggesting that this is dark ages stuff?  Are you suggesting that if a church representative say something sensible then it must be ignored because the church should have no voice in society?

You're a fool aren't you? You don't seem to realise that you are the one who fights tooth and nail for this set of circumstances to arise, with all your "Enlightened Judeo-Christian values" nonsense. You are the kind of self-defeating idiot who has led your society into this predicament, and sprintcyclist comes not far behind you. The two of you deserve to be adopted out to a gay couple, honestly!!

The Stalinist hooves of your Islamist politics are showing. I said that this is NOT a gay rights issue. Too enlightened for you, Comrade Beria?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print