Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
the burqa in court (Read 12490 times)
cockneydoll

Australian Politics

Re: the burqa in court
Reply #150 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:13pm

VICTORY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A PERTH judge has ordered that a Muslim woman must remove a full burqa while giving evidence before a jury in a fraud case.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #151 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:19pm

It's just more evidence of how absurd religious beliefs really are.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #152 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:26pm

Good.

Common sense has prevailed.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #153 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:33pm

cockneydoll wrote on Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:13pm:

A PERTH judge has ordered that a Muslim woman must remove a full burqa while giving evidence before a jury in a fraud case.

The sleaze balls ought to be up front in every day life too!

IP Logged

cockneydoll

Australian Politics

Reply #154 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 3:01pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:19pm:
It's just more evidence of how absurd religious beliefs really are.

A Burqa is not a religious garment, purely a customary one

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #155 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:13pm

But also said that this does not set precedent (wander what does if precedent cannot set precedent?   Huh) and every case will be decided on its merits.

IP Logged

Vanessa

Ranga Rock Chick

Somewhere In The Real World
Reply #156 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:14pm

It's a win for bigotry.
She's worn this burqa since she was 17 - that's 20 years, and you don't even consider how uncomfortable she's going to feel being forced to remove it in front of a bunch of strangers.

But then, racists never consider the feelings of others.

I don't care if I'm fat, or if you think my clothes are bad. I can go to sleep at night I'm a good person and I'll get by...

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #157 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:18pm

Muslims are a race now? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #158 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:20pm

Vanessa wrote on Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:14pm:

It's a win for bigotry.
She's worn this burqa since she was 17 - that's 20 years, and you don't even consider how uncomfortable she's going to feel being forced to remove it in front of a bunch of strangers.

FFS...not our problem how she's gonna feel.  We all have to do things we don't want to from time to time, it's called being part of society.
It's people like you, who insist on special treatment for some who actually cause ill feeling towards minorities.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #159 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:20pm

I think the reasoning for no precedent is that the decision is based on the interests of justice in each case - like a judge sustaining or over-ruling an objection. It is not some kind of ideological or principled statement about what can be worn in court.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Vanessa

Ranga Rock Chick

Somewhere In The Real World
Reply #160 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:21pm

... wrote on Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:20pm:

It's a win for bigotry.

FFS...not our problem how she's gonna feel.  We all have to do things we don't want to from time to time, it's called being part of society.
It's people like you, who insist on special treatment for some who actually cause ill feeling towards minorities.

We have allowed her the freedom to wear her burqa for the past 20 years, and now we are taking away that freedom.

That's a pretty big deal if you ask me.

I don't care if I'm fat, or if you think my clothes are bad. I can go to sleep at night I'm a good person and I'll get by...

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #161 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:23pm

Vanessa wrote on Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:21pm:
... wrote on Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:20pm:

It's a win for bigotry.

FFS...not our problem how she's gonna feel.  We all have to do things we don't want to from time to time, it's called being part of society.

We have allowed her the freedom to wear her burqa for the past 20 years, and now we are taking away that freedom.

That's a pretty big deal if you ask me.

ONLY in the courtroom.  I wouldn't even be allowed to wear a baseball cap in court, and that doesn't even cover my face.   If it had have gone the other way, it would have set a precedent that your personal prefrences take precedence over our legal system.  Just think of the chaos that would create.  Nowt to do with bigotry or racism.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #162 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:30pm

Nah, no racism nor bigotry...

FFS peoples, the nature and volume, of interest and venom involved on this thread alone, is illustrative of just how much racism and bigotry surrounds this case!

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

cockneydoll

Australian Politics

Reply #163 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 8:52pm

Firstly covering one's face is a security issue.

Secondly in a court of law the jury needs to see facial expressions as it's a good way for one, to see if a person is lying.

I was taught that it is very rude, not to be able to have face contact with a person to whom one is speaking. I find it confrontational to speak with a person wearing sunglasses. I take mine off and I ask people to do likewise, if they so rude as not to show their  face properly.

You have obviously not been confronted by a faceless woman.
There's woman in W. Sydney who is on trial for her confrontion with a policeman...an imam has commente on the case and he has said that women wearing burkas should not be permitted to drive as their vision is not to good.

Some countries have banned the things saying their is no place for them in modern western culture........ even JOOOLIA has said that.

The are banned in university in the UK and Syria and the latter is a Muslim country.

These monstrocities are an insult to women. The idea is to keep a woam subserviant to a man. It's not bad enough that the Koran says that the worth of a man is that of four women !!

IP Logged

cockneydoll

Australian Politics

Reply #164 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 8:52pm

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print