Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mark McInnes faces $2M lawsuit (Read 2976 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Mark McInnes faces $2M lawsuit
Aug 4th, 2010 at 9:08am

How ridiculous, who does this %#(&@%^$# think she is ???

her "careers" poo now.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Re: Mark McInnes faces $2M lawsuit
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 10:00am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Aug 4th, 2010 at 9:08am:
How ridiculous, who does this %#(&@%^$# think she is ???

her "careers" poo now.

Who needs a career when you've got $37 mill in the bank?  Oh wait...she said she'd give it to charity...yeh right, I'll believe that when I see it.

This case is super sad...from the reports of what consitituted such 'harrassment' it sounded like mostly light hearted banter...hardly the stuff nightmares are made of.  If she wins, it's a huge blow for workplace interaction, and as this case is the first of it's kind, could be a huge blow to the country overall.  I think she cheapens the experiences of victims of real harrassment and abuse with her blatant cash grab.

I hope she loses and is ordered to pay costs.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 10:19am

What is more sad, is that DJs are planning to fight her claims - after they sacked him because they knew that her claims were essentially legit...

I'd wager that there is a history of female employees making these claims about him - and of the women being ignored, ostracised and forced to move on...

Let us not forget, that he still received a large payout...

Moreover, he has the look of an egotistical sleeze in his eyes and manner - and I seriously doubt that she's his first (or last) victim. Let's face it, she's not so special herself...

Whilst I agree that she is doing too much media grandstanding, I have no doubt that he did the types of things that she alleges - and this culture of insidious sexual harrassment has got to be addressed...

As for claims about her being money-grubbing: it would seem to me that her family is reasonably well-off - and therefore that she will be adequately provided for, regardless of the impact on her career...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 10:32am

Let's face it though - when men are working in close proximity with attractive women, they generally do make the odd lewd comment - that is no secret, especially not to their PA. 

Of course pushing it beyond light hearted banter is not acceptable, but from reports, it doesn't seem it prrgressed much further than that, and women have the 'tools' to shut people down - the word 'no' not in her vocab?  the fear of getting sacked doesn't cut it for me - unfair dismissal laws are in place for this sort of thing.

let's not forget that he has been sacked, costing him millions per year in lost income.  He has been punished, but you've got to ask whether being forced to knock back sexual advances is worthy of compensation.  I just don't think it is.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 10:43am

... wrote on Aug 4th, 2010 at 10:32am:
Let's face it though - when men are working in close proximity with attractive women, they generally do make the odd lewd comment - that is no secret, especially not to their PA.  

Of course pushing it beyond light hearted banter is not acceptable, but from reports, it doesn't seem it prrgressed much further than that, and women have the 'tools' to shut people down - the word 'no' not in her vocab?  the fear of getting sacked doesn't cut it for me - unfair dismissal laws are in place for this sort of thing.

let's not forget that he has been sacked, costing him millions per year in lost income.  He has been punished, but you've got to ask whether being forced to knock back sexual advances is worthy of compensation.  I just don't think it is.

On the contrary, as you've just acknowledged: sexual discrimination in the worforce remains insidiously-rife - and we're not just talking wages and workplace conditions here...

Women - especially those who knock back the advances of more powerful men - suffer insidious opportunity costs and damage to their careers...and because women are generally undervalued there are compounding impacts on the overall life-chances and socio-economic living standards of women and their families...

If sexually harrassed women speak out, they are often victimised - directly and indirectly - and they can be denied promotions and/or forced to leave the department or organisation altogether...

If they respond positively to the advances (perhaps believing that they are special and maybe onto a good thing) then they cop it from other angles - and the end result is usually the same...

Nothing good can come of allowing these cultural power imbalances to go on - we all know it is going on - and the mere fact that hers will be a test case shows just how much up against it women have been in, on a day to day basis for decades...

I may not warm to this woman as a person (and her former boss even less), but I admire the risks that she is taking, in her efforts to make things better for the hundreds of thousands of women who have not been protected in the past - and otherwise won't be protected into the future...

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2010 at 10:49am by Equitist »  

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 10:57am

BTW, this doesn't just go on in workplaces, I am aware of cases where tax agents, accountants and even family law lawyers and barristers have physically barricaded, felt up and/or talked dirty to female clients...

In family law matters, this is especially disconcerting - because once engaged, a Lawyer is very difficult to shake under the standard solicitor's lien. Most people (especially vulnerable overly-trusting women) don't realise, that: when they sign up a litigation lawyer, they have essentially signed away ownership of all their property - and that they should NEVER hand over original documents cos a sacked lawyer effectively-retains possession rights over same until you pay their exhorbitant bills...

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 11:06am

Equitist wrote on Aug 4th, 2010 at 10:19am:
Moreover, he has the look of an egotistical sleeze in his eyes and manner - and I seriously doubt that she's his first (or last) victim. Let's face it, she's not so special herself...

Equitist, I`d like to pass on a hopefully helpfill hint.  You don`t do your credability ay good by this type of comment.  Re the topic at hand, this case is aother example of a neurotic over reaction, totally stupid, and counter productive.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 11:11am

aussiefree2ride wrote on Aug 4th, 2010 at 11:06am:
Equitist wrote on Aug 4th, 2010 at 10:19am:

Equitist, I`d like to pass on a hopefully helpfill hint.  You don`t do your credability ay good by this type of comment.  Re the topic at hand, this case is aother example of a neurotic over reaction, totally stupid, and counter productive.  

You can stick your hint where you like - because I stand by my overall character observations arising from the footage I have seen of BOTH him and her...

I warm to neither - but he's an obvious candidate for sleaze of the year!
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201008/r611884_4048870.asx

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/02/2971036.htm

Quote:
David Jones faces $37m sex misconduct suit

By finance reporter Lexi Metherell

Updated Mon Aug 2, 2010 5:05pm AEST

PreviousNextSlideshow: Photo 1 of 2
If successful, Ms Fraser-Kirk wants the money to go a charity helping people in the area of sexual harassment and bullying.

If successful, Ms Fraser-Kirk wants the money to go a charity helping people in the area of sexual harassment and bullying. (AAP: Dean Lewins)

David Jones and its former chief executive, Mark McInnes, are being sued for about $37 million over allegations of sexual misconduct.

A series of allegations against Mr McInnes are outlined in a statement of claim to the Federal Court.

These include allegations of repeated unwanted kisses, touching, and text messages from Mr McInnes towards five employees, including Kristy Fraser-Kirk, who worked in the marketing department.

Ms Fraser-Kirk says the first incident involving her happened on May 23, 2010 at a lunch hosted by David Jones.

She alleges Mr McInnes urged her to try a dessert at the event by describing it as, "like a bugger in the mouth".

She also says he placed his hand under her clothing to the point where it touched her bra strap, and made repeated requests for her to come to Bondi (where Mr McInnes lives) with the implication the visit would be for the purpose of sexual intercourse.

The statement of claim alleges Mr McInnes also lifted her off the ground while repeating the request for her to come to Bondi with him.

It is alleged all these events happened in public view of other David Jones employees.

Ms Fraser-Kirk says when she reported the first incident, she was told that Mr McInnes had behaved in a similar way at a Caulfield Cup event in 2009.

She alleges the general manager of David Jones public relations told her, "next time that happens, you just need to be very clear and say 'no Mark' and he'll back off".

She also alleges that in the following days she received a series of email messages from Mr McInnes repeating his invitation for Ms Fraser-Kirk to join him at his Bondi home.

Ms Fraser-Kirk says she then told her supervisor that she did not want to attend another function at which Mr McInnes was going to be present because she was worried about further sexual advances.

However, Ms Fraser-Kirk says David Jones required her to attend a function on June 7 at a house in Rose Bay.

She alleges that during, or just after the function, Mr McInnes again repeatedly asked her to accompany him to Bondi.

Ms Fraser-Kirk says he tried to kiss her on the mouth while grabbing her around the waist, and then tried to kiss her while putting his hand under the front of her clothes to the bottom of her bra while she turned her head and pulled away to try and avoid the contact.

She says she repeatedly told Mr McInnes not to touch her or kiss her, and also used a taxi door as a barrier.

She says he later invited her to dinner by saying, "I could have had guaranteed sex with that brunette last night [at the June 7 function] but I wanted you".

After a further advance by text message, Ms Fraser-Kirk says she reported Mr McInnes's continued conduct to the public relations manager on June 9.

Mr McInnes resigned as David Jones chief executive on June 18.

The claim says Ms Fraser-Kirk has suffered damages to her personal and professional reputation as a result.

She is seeking punitive damages of 5 per cent of the profit generated by David Jones from 2003 to 2010 and 5 per cent of Mr McInnes's salary.

If successful, Ms Fraser-Kirk wants the money to go a charity helping people in the area of sexual harassment and bullying.

Ms Fraser-Kirk held a short media conference where she announced that she is setting up a help line for any other women at David Jones who may feel they have been subjected to inappropriate behaviour.

"This has been a devastating period in my life - for me personally, for my professional career, and for the effect that it is having on my family and my friends," she said.

"I am a young woman standing here today simply because I said it wasn't OK. Because I said that this should never happen to me or to anyone. I just wanted to be treated with respect."

She declined to take questions as the case is before the court.

The company has issued a statement saying both it and its directors will be defending the claims against them "vigorously".

It has also reaffirmed its profit guidance despite the $37 million claim...
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2010 at 11:22am by Equitist »  

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 11:16am

[/quote]

You can stick your hint where you like - because I stand by my overall character observations arising from the footage I have seen of BOTH him and her...

I warm to neither - but he's an obvious candidate for sleaze of the year!

[/quote]

No problems my end, if you really want to look the mental midget, knock yourself out.

Cheesy

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 12:24pm

Maybe he is a jerk...so what? 

I suffer jerks every day, but I don't expect $37 mill for it.

One more thing...she was a PA FFS....the success of a PA is measured by the success of who they work for.  How much further was her 'career' going to advance than as PA to the CEO of david jones?  PA to the pope?  PA to the queen of England?  I don't think so.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 1:11pm

oh yes, this thread has unfolded ........

Quote:
How does one of Australia's top fashion designers apologise after joking about a sexual harassment case engulfing top retailer David Jones?

She holds a "sorry sale", of course.

That is how Alannah Hill is planning to make amends for her comments yesterday at the retail giant's annual spring/summer fashion parade, in which she described disgraced former DJs chief executive Mark McInnes as "hot stuff" and said the $37-million lawsuit against him was a "glitch".

"I wanted to be the girl that went to the Bondi flat. I wish he [Mr McInnes] had touched me up," Hill said yesterday.

But one day after her comments were criticised for trivialising a serious situation, Hill went on Melbourne radio today to make an apology - of sorts.

"I'm here with a priest, I'm on my knees and I'm doing my confession," she told Melbourne's Fox FM.

"I'm so gutted ... I feel like such an idiot.

"Look, I know they are really serious allegations and I've never really worked in the corporate sector, and I understand sexual harassment would be unbearable.

"I know people get so stressed they can't even go to work. I feel terrible for that girl and I feel stupid for myself and I really, really humbly apologise."

Hill said her business partner was "so furious" about her comments that she would hold a "sorry sale" on Saturday, and donate half the proceeds "to some sort of a women's shelter or sexual abuse [charity]".

Asked what she would do with the other half of the funds, she said: "I might pass them on to the nice girl with the hyphen in her name. I've forgotten her name."
The "nice girl" she was referring to was 27-year-old publicist Kristy Fraser-Kirk, who this week lodged a $37-million sexual harassment lawsuit against Mr McInnes and David Jones.

Ms Fraser-Kirk alleges Mr McInnes was a serial sexual harasser and that a culture existed within the company in which Mr McInnes's behaviour thrived. In June, Mr McInnes left the company and fled Australia. David Jones will defend the claim.

Hill then appeared to relent on radio this morning, saying "maybe" she would donate the entire amount raised in the sale to a women's charity.

As soon as she fronted the media pack yesterday with fellow Australian designer Alex Perry, Hill said she knew she was in trouble.

"You know at a funeral when you're meant to cry and you sometimes laugh?" she said.

"I knew that I'd do it. I thought 'I know what I'm like. As soon as they ask me those questions I'm going to go the other way and act ridiculous.'

"I talked myself into it saying 'Be normal, be straight, it is a serious problem, even though you quite like Mark McInnes, just don't say anything stupid.' And then the words just came out. They came out and they came flowing, they wouldn't stop, and I turned into my mother."

Hill said she had not spoken to Mr McInnes since he left Australia, but she believed he was "one of the greatest CEOs in the country" and she had been attempting to protect him in a "weird, bizarre kind of way" yesterday.

The allegations against Mr McInnes had not surprised her, Hill said.

"Well he was a flirt, he was a great flirt, and I'm a bit of a flirt. It wasn't a huge surprise. He was a flirt and he was great at his job," she said.

"If you had a room full of girls throwing themselves at you and you were single you'd find it hard to sort of say no.

"But in saying that I know that he may have gone a bit far.

"No one is going to win out of this. It's just going to be an awful, bitter battle and I feel sorry for both of them."

Source: theage.com.au

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/designer-alannah-hill-to-hold-sorry-sale...

I love this designer, Alannah Hill. A REAL person.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 1:33pm

Poor Alannah, she forgot to pretend that this is very serious.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 2:57pm

Just posting a link to the article and video I intended to post earlier (I had an unexpected visitor): -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/03/2971855.htm

Quote:
DJs sex harassment case 'shatters brand illusions'

Updated Tue Aug 3, 2010 1:24pm AEST

A brand analyst says the $37 million sexual misconduct case being brought against retailer David Jones and its former chief executive could significantly damage the company's image.

A series of allegations against former CEO Mark McInnes has been outlined in a statement of claim filed with the Federal Court yesterday by former David Jones employee Kristy Fraser-Kirk.

These include allegations of repeated unwanted kisses, touching, emails and text messages from Mr McInnes towards Ms Fraser-Kirk, who worked in the marketing department, as well as harassment allegations relating to four other women.

Richard Sauerman from Brand Alchemy says the case may deter some female customers from shopping at David Jones.

"It's a world where you can really be a woman and be yourself - that's what is projected," he said.

"It seems as if this story seems to contradict that and that sort of shatters the illusion, if you like, that's created.

"So there's a disconnect between the perception of how the brand is and how the brand actually behaves and the culture of the organisation.

"I think that for some people [that] won't sit very well."

Mr Sauerman from Brand Alchemy says the case leaves David Jones' open to a customer backlash.

"You see more and more these days that shoppers are showing their point of view by not buying a brand or buying a particular brand so, you know, people are acting at the cash register, and you see that a lot," he said.

"And I expect that there would be some people who would do that."

He says the immediate future of the company's reputation depends on whether there is a public perception that the alleged incidents reflect the culture of the company, or the actions of one individual.

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2010 at 3:14pm by Equitist »  

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #13 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 3:20pm

... wrote on Aug 4th, 2010 at 12:24pm:
Maybe he is a jerk...so what?  

I suffer jerks every day, but I don't expect $37 mill for it.

One more thing...she was a PA FFS....the success of a PA is measured by the success of who they work for.  How much further was her 'career' going to advance than as PA to the CEO of david jones?  PA to the pope?  PA to the queen of England?  I don't think so.

Notwithstanding that sexual behaviour in the workplace is inherently inappropriate, regardless of whether the parties have a direct or indirect working relationship: apparently she wasn't a PA anyway - according to various news reports, she worked in the marketing department - as a 'Publicist'!

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #14 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 3:37pm

Ahhh OK, don't know where I got the idea she was a PA.

Still don't reckon she deserves a penny though.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print