Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
.Cash for clunkers is pink batts on wheels (Read 7150 times)
BlOoDy RiPpEr
Gold Member

aussie-patriot.com

Sydney
.Cash for clunkers is pink batts on wheels
Aug 4th, 2010 at 7:59am

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/cash-for-clunkers-is-pink-batts...

LABOR has a history over the past three years of failed programs: think pink batts, the Building the Education Revolution and the green loans scheme.
Nothing is more emblematic of Labor's failure to manage the economy and programs than these failed billion-dollar schemes. Now they are proposing to add another to the list: it's called "cash for clunkers".

With this scheme Gillard is offering a $2000 rebate for people who trade a pre-1995 car and buy a new car from a select range of mostly imported vehicles that can cost anything up to $40,000 or more.

Gillard says the scheme will cost $394 million over four years and take 200,000 clunkers off the road in that period.

It will not achieve either goal.

Industry Minister Kim Carr and his department have already concluded that a scheme such as this would cost about $1 billion to implement. He told the online auto magazine GoAuto on March 25 last year: "The difficulty is that it is extremely expensive and there are finite resources for government."

"Cash for clunkers" will blow out to the $1bn price tag because Gillard has underestimated the value that has to be put on the vehicles to be scrapped.

According to GoAuto, the Motor Trades Association of NSW estimates that the government would have to offer a minimum of $3000 a vehicle, while another industry insider says the price would have to be nearer $5000 to encourage people to trade their cars.

Unless the price is set correctly people will be more likely to sell their car privately than scrap it, as Gillard proposes.

The scrap price must meet the trade-in price if the scheme is to work ,and to do that will mean a massive blowout in the cost of the scheme.

Averaging the two estimates above would see a cost per vehicle of $4000, more than twice the price Gillard is offering.

That would see cost of the "cash for clunkers" scheme blow out to approximately $800m, which is close to the original Department of Industry's estimate of $1bn. This is in line with experience in the US, where the cost of the scheme blew out from $US1bn to $US3bn.

It will push up the price of old cars for those who can ill-afford a price increase -- students, people on low incomes and young couples looking to save for a home.

This scheme has all the hallmarks of the failed pink batt scheme and the BER for which Gillard is directly responsible.

The opportunity for rorting is huge.

This is just another example of the waste and the mismanagement that has characterised Gillard's government.

Another factor Gillard hasn't seemed to have taken into account and militates against its introduction is that each year about 900,000 new cars are bought; that's about 75,000 a month.

Thus this scheme will be subsidising people who are already in the market for a new car.

Labor will simply be paying people to make a purchase decision they are already going to take.

Gillard claims that her scheme will take clunkers off the road and replace them with new cars, thus reducing the amount of carbon dioxide in the environment. But that is already happening as new cars are being bought that have lower carbon dioxide emissions.

Gillard's "cash for clunkers" scheme is a dud.

lTo achieve its goals it will blow out the cost to $800 million, double what is being budgeted for.

lIt will potentially subsidise people who are already going to buy a new car.

lLocal vehicle manufacturing companies will not benefit from the subsidy as five of the seven cars on the approved list of vehicles are imported.

lThe reduction in carbon dioxide is being met as new cars are coming into the national vehicle fleet at a rate of 75,000 a month anyway.

lRorting will be rife if overseas experience is repeated.

lThe price of old cars will increase for those who can least afford a motor vehicle.

By anyone's standards this scheme represents a massive waste of taxpayer funds.

It fails on every count.

As with the pink batts scheme and the BER, which were rushed out without attention to the detail, "cash for clunkers" will see taxpayers' funds squandered for no purpose.

Industry Minister Carr is right. The scheme is expensive and the resources of government are finite. We are already deeply in debt and deficit. Australia cannot afford more of our now scarce tax dollars wasted on more poorly conceived and ill-thought-out ideas such as "cash for clunkers".

The Rudd-Gillard government clearly has no sense of living within its means.

Its spend, borrow and tax mindset can no longer be afforded.

host of the aussie-patriot.com site
IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: .Cash for clunkers is pink batts on wheels
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 8:13am

If a person can`t afford a good car, $2000 won`t make any difference.  This is another example of the inneptness of millionaire politicians,  and fat cat bureaucrats when they try to pretend to represent the common citizen.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 10:41am

They fail to realise that you'd lose much more than $2000 as soon as you drive the new car out of the lot.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 11:01am

Who is the scheme going to help ?

Under it, any wreck is now worth $2000, even if it were scrap value before.
It won't help those wanting to buy a sub $2000 car.

new cars are generally not made in Aussie.
so it won't help the aussie car industry.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 11:07am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Aug 4th, 2010 at 11:01am:
Who is the scheme going to help ?

Under it, any wreck is now worth $2000, even if it were scrap value before.
It won't help those wanting to buy a sub $2000 car.

new cars are generally not made in Aussie.
so it won't help the aussie car industry.

I too am not sure that this is a great idea - especially since people will need to own such vehicles for at least 2 years before claiming the assistance...

That said, given the high costs of rego and insurance, if people will exploit it in the way that some are suggesting (which I doubt), then they would need to leave the vehicles un-registered for that 2 years to make it remotely-worthwhile to make that once-off handout claim...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

chicken_lipsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Townsville NQ
Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 11:18am

Silly me, I thought the clunkers term was a new one for a federal Labor policy.
They have had so many clunkers in the last 3 years.

"Another boat, another policy failure from the Howard government"

Julia Gillard
Shadow Health Minister

IP Logged

vegitamite
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 8:46pm

Didn't this policy idea work overseas somewhere ???

However after listening to the ethanol debate On radio today - seems 
some of these cars will not be able to run when unleaded petrol is phased out for the ethonal blend, is that right ??? So maybe it is time to update.

As Our lovely stinky(sickly vomitty baby diaper smelling ) ethanol factory is ready to grow and grow and grow again said Ms Gash.... Cry

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 8:23am

I`m going to run my 427 on black gunpowder.

Shocked

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Please delete this smacking

Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 9:14am

It reminds me of Howard's subsidy for converting cars to LPG - all it did was increase the cost of conversions.

And didn't achieve anything.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 10:08am

NUclear cars are the way of the future.

Just imagine the power and fuel efficiency you'd get with a nuclear reactor under your bonnet!

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

laborfornever

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 10:54am

I converted my car to LPG and save about $30 a tank after factoring mileage I would have got  on petrol as to what I get on LPG.

60 litres of petrol got me about 460Km around town at 1.30ltr= $78 a tank

60 litres of LPG gets me about 360Km around town at 55c a ltr x1.3 due to lower efficiency rate= $43 a tank.

If your driving a dato 120Y there is a reason for this, financial.

If you have to go and find 20K+ for a new car most people who are driving a dump haven't gotthe money or the borrowing power to take advantage of this.

As a result it will be another green loans assessr grocery watch fuel watch failure.

That must be obvious to all voters???

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 6:00pm

aussiefree2ride wrote on Aug 4th, 2010 at 8:13am:
If a person can`t afford a good car, $2000 won`t make any difference.  This is another example of the inneptness of millionaire politicians,  and fat cat bureaucrats when they try to pretend to represent the common citizen.

I don't think you understand a few things about supply and demand for some reason!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Wink  Grin Sad Grin Shocked Cool Huh Cheesy  Smiley Smiley

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #12 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 6:04pm

... wrote on Aug 4th, 2010 at 10:41am:
They fail to realise that you'd lose much more than $2000 as soon as you drive the new car out of the lot.

Yeh, they failed to realise a weak argument when they saw it!

Get a proper joke!

Cheesy Cheesy Grin  Wink Wink Smiley  Cheesy Cheesy

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #13 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 6:11pm

Crikey..just ban any cars over 10 years old from our roads..costs the govt nothing, gets clunkers off the road and stimulates industry, the economy and banking sector....if u cant afford a decent, safe, fuel efficient car you shouldn't be driving..catch a bus  Smiley

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 6:15pm

It is an absurdly stupid idea for a whol host of reasons and the fact thatthis is yet another Gillard dud is more evidence that she is not fit to be PM and that labor are not able to govern.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print