Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
How to profit from the Ausssie Property Crash ! (Read 3264 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

How to profit from the Ausssie Property Crash !
Aug 2nd, 2010 at 1:30am

From Steve Keens website. Very enlightening SLIDE show !! (no pun intended)

http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/2010/05/21/excellent-presentation-on-scribd-o...
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2010 at 1:43am by Sir lastnail »  

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: How to profit from the Ausssie Property Crash !
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 7:09am

The banks could freeze their assets overnight, your money will be stuck there and you won't get access to it. I had an idea that this could happen pre 2007, so I took my money out and now have a small 'running' account that we are forced to have because of government power over us. We should be able to deal in cash if we so desire, unfortunately that is an option that is not available to us.

The scenario that Steve Keen showed on the slides is one that was discussed regularly over the years on Yahoo, to the dismay of the property spruikers.

Have you noticed the real estate vampires in the last week or so, the excuses for the drop in house prices are amazing. From seasonably adjusted prices to the upcoming election ha ha. Of course they will come out with the tired old line about housing shortage and immigration.

It has never been about a shortage of housing, there are plenty of houses, just not enough people who are able or willing to pay the over-inflated prices.

Anyway, bring on the crash!!!!!!

Bring back the great Aussie dream of home ownership for raising a family, and not for investment purposes.

It looks like those who want to make a quick buck will have to buy shares for the foreseeable future.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 11:51am

Interesting article Last Nail .. don't think the property crash is going to happen though <--- sorry but that's how I see it.

Naturally .. we will see adjustments here and there but it will always be "Bricks And Mortar".

My advice?? Buy up GOOD sized and positioned land value properties which can be subdivided at a future date and capitalised.

My family and clan have been doing ^^^ since they arrived here (as migrants in the early 60's). They've done very well.

Regards

Lisa

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:03pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Aug 2nd, 2010 at 7:09am:
Bring back the great Aussie dream of home ownership for raising a family, and not for investment purposes.

It looks like those who want to make a quick buck will have to buy shares for the foreseeable future.

Agreed!  Somewhere along the line, the soulless investment machine forgot that shelter is one of the badic NEEDS of life, not something to be exploited for financial gain.
I'd be happy to see some kinds of limits on investement properties....soemthing like a  aximum 2 properties per person, and no foreign ownership.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:21pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Aug 3rd, 2010 at 11:51am:
Interesting article Last Nail .. don't think the property crash is going to happen though <--- sorry but that's how I see it.

Naturally .. we will see adjustments here and there but it will always be "Bricks And Mortar".

My advice?? Buy up GOOD sized and positioned land value properties which can be subdivided at a future date and capitalised.

My family and clan have been doing ^^^ since they arrived here (as migrants in the early 60's). They've done very well.

Regards

Lisa

Looks like Steve Keen may have a point about that.

http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/2010/07/30/thanks-for-the-manna/

Quote:
Chris Joye comments in his release of the recent RP Data-Rismark index that the news of a 0.7% fall in one month will be “manna from heaven for the housing market bears”. Far be it from me to disappoint him, so thanks for the manna. But what adds spice to the manna is the way that Chris has attempted to rationalize the outcome:

It’s sobering to remember here that we have had 17 consecutive monthly increases in Australian capital city home values. If the sharemarket rose for 17 months straight and then tapered, people would not think twice about. It might be wise to apply the same logic to our housing market.

That comment evinced the following comment on Chris Zdatappone’s report in the Fairfax Press from the reader “Dave”:

If the share market had risen for 17 consecutive months, people would be screaming BUBBLE. Somehow this logic seems to defy Chris Joye … Oh dear.

Oh dear indeed. In a speculative market like the stock market, much of the buying is driven by the belief that prices will continue to rise; as soon as that belief evaporates, buyers become sellers and the price doesn’t “taper”, but plunge. A certain Irving Fisher once commented that “stock prices have reached a permanently high plateau”, only to see them (and his reputation and wealth) evaporate in the ensuing 3 years.

So the hope for Chris Joye is not that house prices will behave like stock market prices, but precisely the opposite. Bears like myself argue that the housing market has indeed become just like the stock market—a place where leveraged speculation in the belief that house prices always rise does far more to explain house price movements than any appeals to “fundamentals”—and this is the main reason that house prices have risen so much in the last two decades.

There is however one important way in which house prices do differ from shares: the first sign of trouble is not a sudden drop in prices, but a fall in the number of sales and an increase in the length of time it takes for properties to sell. That sign was evident in the data from the last year or so, which is why I argued that a fall in house prices was imminent in a previous article on Business Spectator. Now that the data are unequivocal, the following processes are likely.

Firstly, with an increased stock of unsold houses on the market, buyers are likely to take yet more time to make a decision—which will add further to the backlog. If prices are falling, why hurry? The urgency will leave the buy side.

Secondly, so-called investors—whom I prefer to call speculators, since 90% of them have bought existing properties rather than built new ones—will start to consider whether they should swap from the buy side to the sell side. After all, no-one in their right mind buys an investment property in Australia for the rental returns: it’s capital gains or nothing DownUnder. Do you capitalize on gains to date, or hang on hoping that the upward trend will re-assert itself once more?

Given the skewing of our market away from owner-occupiers and towards speculators in the last two decades, this second effect could cause a sudden increase in the number of properties on the market—at just the same time that buyers have become more relaxed about closing a sale. It’s this sort of process in an asset market that is why asset prices don’t “taper”—or “plateau”, to use a word from an earlier time.

I expect these two processes to lead to an accelerating rate of decline in house prices now, as they did in the USA when “Flip That House” ceased being a winning trade.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:26pm

Hey Last Nail .. thought you'd have a come back for me lol Smiley

Ok let me have a read. 

Hope you're having a good day there.

BRB ...

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:26pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Aug 2nd, 2010 at 7:09am:
The banks could freeze their assets overnight, your money will be stuck there and you won't get access to it. I had an idea that this could happen pre 2007, so I took my money out and now have a small 'running' account that we are forced to have because of government power over us. We should be able to deal in cash if we so desire, unfortunately that is an option that is not available to us.

The scenario that Steve Keen showed on the slides is one that was discussed regularly over the years on Yahoo, to the dismay of the property spruikers.

Have you noticed the real estate vampires in the last week or so, the excuses for the drop in house prices are amazing. From seasonably adjusted prices to the upcoming election ha ha. Of course they will come out with the tired old line about housing shortage and immigration.

It has never been about a shortage of housing, there are plenty of houses, just not enough people who are able or willing to pay the over-inflated prices.

Anyway, bring on the crash!!!!!!

Have you noticed how two major TV networks have brought back the home auction shows at a time when home sales and auctions have slumped Wink What does that tell you ??

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:27pm

* comeback <-- 1 word ooops

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:35pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:26pm:
Hey Last Nail .. thought you'd have a come back for me lol Smiley

Ok let me have a read. 

Hope you're having a good day there.

BRB ...

I hate so say this but had the libbos been voted in last time, the property slump would have come earlier because the libbos wouldn't have tripled the first home buyers scam nor would they have changed the foreign investment rules allowing foreign speculators in to buy up existing property and force up prices. What we would have seen happen in Australia would have mirrored property slumps in other parts of the world. What labor did was to intervene to try and stop the bubble from bursting but instead have inflated the bubble to unsustainable levels so that when it does burst it will really burst bad Sad

You can always guarantee labor to create a financial malaise Sad

Governments should really keep out of the property markets. They don't intervene with the share markets so why should they intervene with the property markets.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:43pm

Firstly, with an increased stock of unsold houses on the market, buyers are likely to take yet more time to make a decision—which will add further to the backlog. If prices are falling, why hurry? The urgency will leave the buy side.

Secondly, so-called investors—whom I prefer to call speculators, since 90% of them have bought existing properties rather than built new ones—will start to consider whether they should swap from the buy side to the sell side. After all, no-one in their right mind buys an investment property in Australia for the rental returns: it’s capital gains or nothing DownUnder. Do you capitalize on gains to date, or hang on hoping that the upward trend will re-assert itself once more?

- from Last Nail's article

I hear what he's saying .. I just don't agree with it.

The advice I've given in my earlier posts still stands Last Nail.

IF you wish to come out on top .. buy LAND NOW (and hurry up coz there isn't much/any left). NB By land of course I mean land value properties ie properties which are well sized in strategic well positioned locations with shitful existing homes on it. We all know that vacant land is now a thing of the past!

GOOD DIRT is the new GOLD .. and it is almost scarce!!!

There will come a time when future generations will thank their parents and grandparents for buying up this type of land .. because IT WILL be subdivided/capitalised FOR the benefit of such children/grandchildren.

Oh I should probably reiterate .. I am talking SYDNEY whenever I talk property.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 1:09pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:43pm:
I hear what he's saying .. I just don't agree with it.

The advice I've given in my earlier posts still stands Last Nail.

IF you wish to come out on top .. buy LAND NOW (and hurry up coz there isn't much/any left). NB By land of course I mean land value properties ie properties which are well sized in strategic well positioned locations with shitful existing homes on it. We all know that vacant land is now a thing of the past!

GOOD DIRT is the new GOLD .. and it is almost scarce!!!

There will come a time when future generations will thank their parents and grandparents for buying up this type of land .. because IT WILL be subdivided/capitalised FOR the benefit of such children/grandchildren.

Oh I should probably reiterate .. I am talking SYDNEY whenever I talk property.

You should never buy at the top of a bubble.

I think that land shortage in Australia is a complete phurphy. How can their ever be a land shortage in the country the size of Australia ? The Governments are obviously holding back in order to keep pressure on demand for as long as they can and state Governments don't want to have to spend money on infrastructure, otherwise I can't see why their should be a shortage in property here.

Anyway their were shortages in property around the world such as California, Singapore, Japan etc and their markets still crashed so shortages are no guarantee that markets won't crash.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #11 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 1:42pm

I obviously agree with your 1st sentence. You need to jump into the market at the right time. That's just common sense and (usually) goes without saying.

As regards land .. of course there's vacant land .. but where is it??Basically it's outside Sydney/west of Sydney etc and land there is cheap/useless/waste of time and money.

REAL land as I said .. exists (in scarce quantities though) and consists of well sized and well positioned plots with existing old homes.

These properties WILL RUN OUT/HAVE ALMOST RUN OUT ... and should be bought up now with a long term investment strategy in mind.

Our children and grandchildren will thank us one day for having had the insight to buy this type of LAND because it will provide them with the necessary support base upon which they will be able to build good quality owner occupied townhouses/duplexes in good areas. These arrrangments do work and help keep families together and financially on course.

So many (European Aussie) real estate agents and property valuers are doing this as I type .. they know wtf they're doing Smiley

Don't want to listen? Fine by me .. some people need to learn the hard way!

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 2:31pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Aug 3rd, 2010 at 1:42pm:
I obviously agree with your 1st sentence. You need to jump into the market at the right time. That's just common sense and (usually) goes without saying.

As regards land .. of course there's vacant land .. but where is it??Basically it's outside Sydney/west of Sydney etc and land there is cheap/useless/waste of time and money.

REAL land as I said .. exists (in scarce quantities though) and consists of well sized and well positioned plots with existing old homes.

These properties WILL RUN OUT/HAVE ALMOST RUN OUT ... and should be bought up now with a long term investment strategy in mind.

Our children and grandchildren will thank us one day for having had the insight to buy this type of LAND because it will provide them with the necessary support base upon which they will be able to build good quality owner occupied townhouses/duplexes in good areas. These arrrangments do work and help keep families together and financially on course.

So many (European Aussie) real estate agents and property valuers are doing this as I type .. they know wtf they're doing Smiley

Don't want to listen? Fine by me .. some people need to learn the hard way!

They said the same thing as you when their was a land shortage before it crashed in UK, California, Hong Kong, Japan, Ireland, Spain. Of course it can't happen here in Australia because this time it is different Wink

You need to study mass crowd psychology.

A house is only worth what the bigger fool is willing to pay for it. When you run out of fools who can't get what ever money they need then who's buying ??

Note how the media is no longer reporting record median house prices in such a such a suburb. What has happened ??

Bubble bubble toil of trouble Wink

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #13 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 3:09pm

LMAO!

I've been meaning to ask you Last Nail .. do you own your own home?

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 3:22pm

Price Crash???? Nahh, not gonna happen.
Corrections in the market? Sure, but we will see the most sought after properties in the most sought after areas retain their value, like they always do.
Some of the monstrous extravagances of the last decade or so may lose a little, but the real engine running along nicely will be the first home market, and there will be no downturn in prices at the bottom end, just demand outstripping supply, as usual.

I am thinking about developing a block at the moment, and tossing up whether to do 2 mid range houses, or five entry level units, and the building costs will be the ultimate determinant.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #15 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 6:03pm

Mozza I totally agree with your above comment.

May I ask .. is this the 1st time you've developed property?

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #16 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 5:24pm

I love how Tony Burke criticised Australias obsession with property prices today!

Beware of false profits, lol!

Is Australia really the clever country? Can the Libs survive the 21st century?

Wink Wink Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Shocked Shocked Cheesy

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 12:09am

mozzaok wrote on Aug 3rd, 2010 at 3:22pm:
Price Crash???? Nahh, not gonna happen.
Corrections in the market? Sure, but we will see the most sought after properties in the most sought after areas retain their value, like they always do.
Some of the monstrous extravagances of the last decade or so may lose a little, but the real engine running along nicely will be the first home market, and there will be no downturn in prices at the bottom end, just demand outstripping supply, as usual.

I am thinking about developing a block at the moment, and tossing up whether to do 2 mid range houses, or five entry level units, and the building costs will be the ultimate determinant.

Yeh, you just go right on ahead and keep feeding the bubble that is bursting at the seems whilst the smart people have already got out Wink LOL

Because this time the bubble is different like it was in Japan, California, Ireland, Hong Kong etc. They were all different too Wink LOL

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 12:14am

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Aug 5th, 2010 at 5:24pm:
I love how Tony Burke criticised Australias obsession with property prices today!

Beware of false profits, lol!

Is Australia really the clever country? Can the Libs survive the 21st century?

Wink Wink Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Shocked Shocked Cheesy

He's criticizing it whilst Kevin Dudd and Julia Guillotine purposely changed the FIRB rules to allow foreign chinese speculators to inflate the bubble further  Sad

Australia is just a quarry and a rubbish tip for everyone else's exported goods. Don't ever expect anything better than property speculation and huge private sector debt whilst labor and liberal are in power Sad It will never happen Sad

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print