Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
'It's normal' to let kids wander at night (Read 3618 times)
BlOoDy RiPpEr
Gold Member

aussie-patriot.com

Sydney
'It's normal' to let kids wander at night
Jul 28th, 2010 at 10:06am

ABORIGINAL health workers have been told it is "normal" for indigenous children in remote communities to wander unsupervised at night.

Child protection authorities also told the workers it was "normal" for them to be abandoned by parents during drinking sessions.

Child protection authorities in the Northern Territory have also been accused of using Alice Springs Hospital as a storehouse for children who cannot easily obtain placements in out-of-home care.

In a submission to an NT child protection inquiry, the hospital has protested that the Department of Families and Children (NTFC) "will leave children in hospital until a (foster care) place is found".

"ASH is an acute care facility, we are not able to provide appropriate supervision of children and their families," the submission said.

In a separate submission from the Centre for Remote Health, Aboriginal health workers alleged child protection workers were acting as "gatekeepers" and "only wanted to know the "bare minimum" about child abuse cases so they could "keep the report out of the system".

The threshold for acceptance of neglect notifications had risen in recent years as the system became increasingly overburdened, said the health workers, who were told that many of their reports of neglect "do not warrant being entered on to the system".

Despite being alarmed at cases of children wandering alone in remote communities at night, the health workers were told by child protection officers that their reported concerns constituted "normative behaviour for Aboriginal people".

When the Aboriginal workers reported cases of children being regularly abandoned to the care of "reluctant" extended family members - for example, when the parents "went drinking" - they were told that "since the child was not at significant immediate risk, the child was 'safe' and so their notification could not be accepted".

Doctors were just as alarmed at the NTFC management of child protection cases as were Aboriginal health workers, Alice Springs Hospital's submission to the inquiry revealed.

In one case, when a representative of the hospital attempted a referral to child protection authorities, a government officer refused to accept the notification because it was a public holiday, the hospital said.

host of the aussie-patriot.com site
IP Logged

Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: 'It's normal' to let kids wander at night
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 10:10am

If it is not tolerated in other cultural groups, then it should not be tolerated here.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 8:43pm

The PC brigade won't like that - setting norms. very - what's the word? - colonialistic.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 9:04pm

I wandered around unsupervised at night. Some people seem to confuse the loss of freedom that comes with civilisation for civilisation itself.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

what_katy_did

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 5:24am

When the Aboriginal workers reported cases of children being regularly abandoned to the care of "reluctant" extended family members - for example, when the parents "went drinking" - they were told that "since the child was not at significant immediate risk, the child was 'safe' and so their notification could not be accepted".
[/quote]

So what is the prob?  If I'm going out drinking I leave my kids with their grandparents or aunties?  Is that not abusive because I'm white and live in a city?

"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former..."    Albert Einstein
kate_did_what  
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 10:24am

freediver wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 9:04pm:
I wandered around unsupervised at night. Some people seem to confuse the loss of freedom that comes with civilisation for civilisation itself.

FD, you are a precocious 10 year old.

IP Logged

Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 10:24am

Soren wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 8:43pm:
The PC brigade won't like that - setting norms. very - what's the word? - colonialistic.

That is funny, treatment of children of all cultures was not great in colonial times.

IP Logged

Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 10:26am

That Freedriver depends how old the child is.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 4:02pm

While I do get the impression that the children in these communities are left  to their own devices too much, I also think we 'civilised' folk have swung a bit too far the other way.

Nowadays, many parents are running around after their little 'uns' holding their hand, not letting them do anything, even in environments where there is little potential for harm.  I've got a toddler and I take her to a play centre occasionally, where I sit and read the paper while she runs around and plays to her hearts content.  There's padding everywhere, it would be very hard for her to come to harm in there, yet most of the other parents there constantly hover around their kids around the whole time, stopping them from doing whatever it is they want to do.

Children SHOULD be left to entertain themselves more than they do, but in the case of these aboriginal communities, of course they shouldnt be left to roam the streets, becasue from reports, they often end up robbing houses to get food that their families aren't providing for them. These children who grow up with no supervision and no boundaries grow up to become adults with no boundaries, and that's why so many end up in prison.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 7:25pm

I take your point about seemingly over protective parenting Wesley, but the kids referred to here are virtually ignored while their parents and extended family drink themselves into oblivion.  To deny this is to lie.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 8:24pm

Deborahmac09 wrote on Jul 29th, 2010 at 10:26am:

Can you elaborate?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 10:17am

aussiefree2ride wrote on Jul 29th, 2010 at 7:25pm:
I take your point about seemingly over protective parenting Wesley, but the kids referred to here are virtually ignored while their parents and extended family drink themselves into oblivion.  To deny this is to lie.

Definitely not gonna deny it.  Thing is, nobody is intereste din doing anything.  In caranarvon, WA, theres a big problem with this sort of thing.  A bloke caught some kids robbing his house, so chased them and gave a couple a hiding....now he's up on charges, and the kids families have publicly threatened retribution.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 10:23am

freediver wrote on Jul 29th, 2010 at 8:24pm:
Deborahmac09 wrote on Jul 29th, 2010 at 10:26am:

Can you elaborate?

No child should be wandering the streets late at night, particularly someone under 10 or 12.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 1:08pm

"Definitely not gonna deny it.  Thing is, nobody is intereste din doing anything.  In caranarvon, WA, theres a big problem with this sort of thing.  A bloke caught some kids robbing his house, so chased them and gave a couple a hiding....now he's up on charges, and the kids families have publicly threatened retribution. "

As you say Wesley, the thing is, as you say, nothing is being done about this, and numerous other Aboriginal problems. The PC grubs do their best to suppress honest discussion of these topics, thereby preventing the formation of solutions to these problems.  The PC Jellybacks are in truth, the Aborigines` worst enemy, they seem to want to perpetuate all of the destructive problems.

Meanwhile, another generation is being raised with maximum handicap for their future.

IP Logged

Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 1:35pm

What we don't like aussie, is them all being branded the same.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print