Send Topic Print
What is Truth? (Read 9726 times)
Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: What is Truth?
Reply #75 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 9:44pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 25th, 2010 at 8:56pm:
Yes,well knowing truth is not easy... even in the East!

Indeed! Particularly where it is that you cannot know that which you seek until you find it, assuming you do not doubt the find that is.

Quote:
The 'non-truth' I speak of is the Eastern tradition of placing ultimate truth above absolutes. with Eastern philosophy truth is apprehended/knowable only by transcendence.. i.e. it cannot be apprehended by the intellect... and yet nevertheless those traditions maintain that truth is knowable. 

Why? Why can it be known through transcendence alone?

Quote:
Sappho wrote on Jul 25th, 2010 at 8:08pm:
Quote:
Sappho wrote on Jul 25th, 2010 at 6:25pm:
Nirvana is nothingness?

It is the state of neither existence nor non-existence.

Surely, if a state is neither existence or non-existence then it is nothingness because it lacks somethingness?

And therein lies the great gulf between eastern and western philosophical traditions. In the east there exists a state that is neither existence or non-existence... neither something nor nothing... neither good nor evil... neither true nor untrue... It is beyond absolutes.

And yet, if I revisit my question, I cannot say this thing found through transcendence lacks somethingness. It is something and people strive to attain it with some people actually acquiring it for themselves.

Surely then, it exists?

Quote:
God is nameless, for no man can either say or understand aught about Him. If I say, God is good, it is not true; nay more; I am good, God is not good. I may even say, I am better than God; for whatever is good, may become better, and whatever may become better, may become best. Now God is not good, for He cannot become better. And if He cannot become better, He cannot become best, for these three things, good, better, and best, are far from God, since He is above all. If I also say, God is wise, it is not true; I am wiser than He. If I also say, God is a Being, it is not true;
Meister Eckhart.

Existential fallacy, dare I say. But more than that is the fact that I find myself riddled with doubt where it is that an author is trying to persuade me by comparing and contrasting the physical with the metaphysical.

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #76 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 6:28am

Sappho wrote on Jul 25th, 2010 at 9:44pm:
Quote:
The 'non-truth' I speak of is the Eastern tradition of placing ultimate truth above absolutes. with Eastern philosophy truth is apprehended/knowable only by transcendence.. i.e. it cannot be apprehended by the intellect... and yet nevertheless those traditions maintain that truth is knowable. 

Why? Why can it be known through transcendence alone?

I guess if one believes it is even possible to know truth in itself, uncontingent, beyond absolutes ("containing all within itself including itself etc) then one would have to know it beyond the abyss of doubt... i.e. by a great leap to the other side. As the intellect must always accede to doubt's unmitigated ubiquity, a mystical transcendence would be the only possible path beyond this abyss.

Buddhists believe this state cannot be taught, it must be arrived at by individual effort through mastering the great middle way through the eightfold path of Right View, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration.

When you master this great feat, they believe, you will be liberated from samsara... You will have transcended the abyss of doubt and you will know truth in itself (emptiness... a concept which is beyond somethingness and nothingness).

That theme is common in eastern religious and philosophical traditions... Being the apprehension of truth/oneness/emptiness containing all within itself including itself, beyond absolutes, uncontingent and transcending the abyss (the otherwise indestructible ubiquity) of doubt, through prescribed meditative practises and mindful actions. Not that these prescriptions will guarantee that you will achieve enlightenment... Just that they indicate the way to the path that can be defined only to a point, beyond which only the enlightened will know. Apparently that moment will come upon the practitioner and s/he (although almost exclusively... its a he) will continue as before (Before enlightenment, chop wood and carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood and carry water).

[For further information... you may have to consult a Buddhist who claims an insight into this kind of knowledge. I would suggest an audience with the Dalai Lama... Mahayanic Buddhists claim he is enlightened and is the 14th incarnation of the Bodhisattva Avalokiteśvara (Compassion)... Who has chosen rebirth over Nirvana, returning to samsara to assist in the enlightenment of others... Or so they believe]
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2010 at 8:08am by NorthOfNorth »  

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #77 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 1:33pm

In the east there exists a state that is neither existence or non-existence

Shocked

You shoulda hummed (ooohmmmmed)  this one insted.

Reading this I fell off my chair, like Wittgensten fell off his bike.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #78 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 2:09pm

Soren wrote on Jul 26th, 2010 at 1:33pm:
In the east there exists a state that is neither existence or non-existence

Shocked

You shoulda hummed (ooohmmmmed)  this one insted.

Reading this I fell off my chair, like Wittgensten fell off his bike.

Yes, apparently the state is recognised up to the western border of Uzbekistan. Any further west and the enlightened one must declare himself either in existence or extinct.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #79 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 2:11pm

I thought Truth was Beauty, and Beauty was Truth???

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #80 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 2:17pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Jul 26th, 2010 at 2:11pm:

Dunno, but I reckon the ancient Greeks preferred beauty over truth...

Come to think of it, we all more readily believe the beautiful before the ugly.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #81 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 2:22pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 26th, 2010 at 2:17pm:

Yeah isn't that the basis of Politics, Marketing and Televangelism???

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #82 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 4:38pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Jul 26th, 2010 at 2:22pm:

Yeah isn't that the basis of Politics, Marketing and Televangelism???

Yes, maybe truth is whatever beautiful people tell us it is.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #83 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 4:50pm

Not only that, but Aristotle was the first philosopher to establish that size matters: a beatuful thing cannot be too big or too small.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #84 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 3:14pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 26th, 2010 at 6:28am:
I guess if one believes it is even possible to know truth in itself, uncontingent, beyond absolutes ("containing all within itself including itself etc) then one would have to know it beyond the abyss of doubt... i.e. by a great leap to the other side. As the intellect must always accede to doubt's unmitigated ubiquity, a mystical transcendence would be the only possible path beyond this abyss.

Buddhists believe this state cannot be taught, it must be arrived at by individual effort through mastering the great middle way through the eightfold path of Right View, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration.

When you master this great feat, they believe, you will be liberated from samsara... You will have transcended the abyss of doubt and you will know truth in itself (emptiness... a concept which is beyond somethingness and nothingness).

That theme is common in eastern religious and philosophical traditions... Being the apprehension of truth/oneness/emptiness containing all within itself including itself, beyond absolutes, uncontingent and transcending the abyss (the otherwise indestructible ubiquity) of doubt, through prescribed meditative practises and mindful actions. Not that these prescriptions will guarantee that you will achieve enlightenment... Just that they indicate the way to the path that can be defined only to a point, beyond which only the enlightened will know. Apparently that moment will come upon the practitioner and s/he (although almost exclusively... its a he) will continue as before (Before enlightenment, chop wood and carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood and carry water).

[For further information... you may have to consult a Buddhist who claims an insight into this kind of knowledge. I would suggest an audience with the Dalai Lama... Mahayanic Buddhists claim he is enlightened and is the 14th incarnation of the Bodhisattva Avalokiteśvara (Compassion)... Who has chosen rebirth over Nirvana, returning to samsara to assist in the enlightenment of others... Or so they believe]

I do know a little about Buddhism and have attended forums where the Dalai Lama has spoken, and will attend when he visits again next year.

This thread is about the nature of truth however, and Buddhist don't necessarily speak about truth, rather, they speak about knowing.

Knowing and Truth are somewhat different. One persons knowing can be different to another persons knowing even though both may contribute to the nature of the Truth from which the knowing is derived.

I wonder... is Truth more fluid in its nature than the absolutes we seek to impose upon it?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #85 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 4:48pm

Sappho wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 3:14pm:
I do know a little about Buddhism and have attended forums where the Dalai Lama has spoken, and will attend when he visits again next year.

This thread is about the nature of truth however, and Buddhist don't necessarily speak about truth, rather, they speak about knowing.

Knowing and Truth are somewhat different. One persons knowing can be different to another persons knowing even though both may contribute to the nature of the Truth from which the knowing is derived.

Do you really think they are speaking of different things? Perhaps an Eastern Buddhist is avoiding the western-centric trap of discussing "truth" such that they do not become mired in semantics or bogged down by a need to define that which Buddhism does not define.

I'm not sure Buddhism teaches that one Buddha's experience of enlightenment would be different to another's - that would imply a "Nirvanic" plurality.

I wonder... is Truth more fluid in its nature than the absolutes we seek to impose upon it?

Is it a particle or is it a wave? Grin

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #86 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 5:17pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 4:48pm:
Is it a particle or is it a wave? Grin

You laugh and yet that is exactly the kind of thing that I mean.

An electron is no less an electron for being a wave or a particle. It also has that most interesting property of knowing exactly its location in the universe in relation to other electrons of the universe and then responds according to the responses of other electrons.

Truth then is no less a truth for the various knowings about it.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #87 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 6:14pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 26th, 2010 at 6:28am:

WORDS DO NO CONTAIN THE TRUTH

Tongue Huh Huh Roll Eyes Wink

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

tonegunman1

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 6:47pm

Truth is a human construct...and in this respect sometimes no more than a popularity contest or an exercise of power.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #89 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 8:57pm

tonegunman1 wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 6:47pm:
Truth is a human construct...and in this respect sometimes no more than a popularity contest or an exercise of power.

Brilliant. What isn't a human construct???... and in this respect (what other respect is there??) no more than a popularity contest or an exercise of power??

It's like anything... Everything is like everything else.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print