Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
What is Truth? (Read 9684 times)
aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Re: What is Truth?
Reply #45 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 9:34pm

But what about the all important philosophical question that is hanging on the mind of every dentist?

What is tooth?

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #46 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 9:36pm

Quote:
The port to which your ship is destined

Or perhaps the port that you are attempting to purposely travel in the opposite direction of. Maybe you might even try to obscure the judgment of the navigators of other ships so that they will not be headed in its direction.

At least to us, there may be awful things at that port. Prostitutes hanging out by the docks with syphillis, etc.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #47 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 9:54pm

aikmann4 wrote on Jul 20th, 2010 at 9:36pm:
Quote:
The port to which your ship is destined

Or perhaps the port that you are attempting to purposely travel in the opposite direction of. Maybe you might even try to obscure the judgment of the navigators of other ships so that they will not be headed in its direction.

At least to us, there may be awful things at that port. Prostitutes hanging out by the docks with syphillis, etc.

Do you really think you could set foot on the land opposite to that of truth? (Where would that be? Lies?) And even if you could... really... would you want to be there?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #48 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 9:58pm

If you're into prostitutes with syphillis, maybe.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #49 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 10:05pm

aikmann4 wrote on Jul 20th, 2010 at 9:58pm:
If you're into prostitutes with syphillis, maybe.

Ships, whores, ports, sailing thereto... Don't overegg the metaphor... We're talking about truth.

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #50 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 10:11pm

I already gave my serious two cents.

I'm just screwing around in this thread now.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #51 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 10:19pm

aikmann4 wrote on Jul 20th, 2010 at 10:11pm:
I already gave my serious two cents.

I'm just screwing around in this thread now.

Impy, m'y boy...  The best only just get started, 'bout now.

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #52 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 10:21pm

You can be odd. Wink

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #53 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 10:26pm

aikmann4 wrote on Jul 20th, 2010 at 10:21pm:
You can be odd. Wink

I got a team to run... All I gotta be is good.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #54 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 8:25am

Soren wrote on Jul 20th, 2010 at 8:21pm:
aussiefree2ride wrote on Jul 20th, 2010 at 10:59am:
Truth is an honest representation of facts.

What is 'honest'?

(just kidding. this is a silly a question as 'what is truth'.)

Not quite true... but anyway... It's asking demonstrates that, like the search for the definition of a Socratic virtue (What is courage), we can't say what it is because it seems we can't know what it is and every attempt to define it will result in a Socratic wild goose chase (because maybe without context, 'truth', (like Socratic virtue), is a meaningless concept)... And yet we would all claim to recognise it - to know it - when we experience it... In context.

Yet despite this generally self-accepted agnosis, in a theistic context, the term is necessarily applied to god, as either a synonym or, more commonly, as an attribute. Despite almost universal self-confessed ignorance as to what truth is in itself, all theisms nevertheless necessarily dictate its definition, which must by necessity be less than what it is or not what it is at all.

If we cannot know what truth is, (nor for that matter what any virtue is in itself) then we cannot know what god is in itself much less ‘know’ what it thinks, feels or desires and the concept of this kind of gnosis is as asinine as knowing what truth is and wants of us.

Yet we could hardly live as if truth (or virtue) does not exist (as for most of us we at least expect to know what truth is when we experience it). We can however, live without a concept of or belief in the existence of god. In that context, the concept of truth/virtue (insofar as we can know it when we see it) is greater than that of ‘god’.

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2010 at 9:01am by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #55 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 9:00am

I think the true answer is that truth is like art. You can't really define it, but you know it when you see it.

Quote:
Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Dead Poets Society

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #56 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 9:02am

muso wrote on Jul 22nd, 2010 at 9:00am:
I think the true answer is that truth is like art. You can't really define it, but you know it when you see it.

True! Knowledge of it (such that it can be called knowledge) results from the practice of the art of certainty.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #57 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 10:22am

The question is a realist one (positing the universality of 'truth' to be real) while many of the answers derive from nomionalist (only particular instances are real) mindsets. Hence the cross-talk nature of most exchanges on this sort of question.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #58 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 7:38am

And a question I imagined would interest theists particularly... Given that for them if god is real, then absolute truth (as a synonym for or an attribute of god) must necessarily be real (being a temporal manifestation of its presence).

But then, of course, what is absolute cannot be defined except as something less than what it is...

Quote:
Through the clamour and kaleidoscopic masquerade of the many, comes to me, at times in brilliant opalescence, the rhythm of my soul, which is the truth I feel.

Unmitigated by intellect, nor advocated by authority and without the verification of any sense perception, yet doubtlessly the deepest of realities - In harmony with all.

It cannot be described, nor its rhythm codified, for it has no need of words to impress upon my mind its esoteric meaning or its practical application.

For it is the truth I feel - A vision from my soul - Infinite and personal -
Perceived only as complete...

Or not perceived at all.

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2010 at 11:32am by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #59 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 10:07am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 22nd, 2010 at 8:25am:
Soren wrote on Jul 20th, 2010 at 8:21pm:
aussiefree2ride wrote on Jul 20th, 2010 at 10:59am:
Truth is an honest representation of facts.

What is 'honest'?

(just kidding. this is a silly a question as 'what is truth'.)

Not quite true... but anyway... It's asking demonstrates that, like the search for the definition of a Socratic virtue (What is courage), we can't say what it is because it seems we can't know what it is and every attempt to define it will result in a Socratic wild goose chase (because maybe without context, 'truth', (like Socratic virtue), is a meaningless concept)... And yet we would all claim to recognise it - to know it - when we experience it... In context.

Yet despite this generally self-accepted agnosis, in a theistic context, the term is necessarily applied to god, as either a synonym or, more commonly, as an attribute. Despite almost universal self-confessed ignorance as to what truth is in itself, all theisms nevertheless necessarily dictate its definition, which must by necessity be less than what it is or not what it is at all.

If we cannot know what truth is, (nor for that matter what any virtue is in itself) then we cannot know what god is in itself much less ‘know’ what it thinks, feels or desires and the concept of this kind of gnosis is as asinine as knowing what truth is and wants of us.

Yet we could hardly live as if truth (or virtue) does not exist (as for most of us we at least expect to know what truth is when we experience it). We can however, live without a concept of or belief in the existence of god. In that context, the concept of truth/virtue (insofar as we can know it when we see it) is greater than that of ‘god’.

So because courage is hard to define we can't define truth. The problem with truth is not in defining it, but in finding it. It's like saying that it is impossible to define what a unicorn is unless you see one.

muso wrote on Jul 22nd, 2010 at 9:00am:

Quote:
Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Dead Poets Society

I think that is what distinguishes truth from quality.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print