Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Monday deadline for enrolling to vote (Read 1216 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Monday deadline for enrolling to vote
Jul 18th, 2010 at 1:31pm

http://www.aec.gov.au/

The key dates for the 2010 federal election:
Announcement:      Saturday, 17 July 2010
Issue of writ:      Monday, 19 July 2010
Deadline to enrol to vote:      8pm Monday, 19 July 2010
Deadline to update your electoral roll details (Close of rolls):      8pm Thursday, 22 July 2010

Close of nominations:      12 noon Thursday, 29 July 2010
Declaration of nominations:      12 noon Friday, 30 July 2009
Election day:      Saturday, 21 August 2010
Return of writ (latest date):      Wednesday, 27 October 2010

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Re: Monday deadline for enrolling to vote
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 1:33pm

What does it mean if I'm not enrolled?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 1:38pm

You don't get to vote.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get fined, if that's what you mean.

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 1:40pm

Can you only get fined if you're enrolled but you don't turn up? I'm not sure how it works.

I'll be moving most likely in two weeks. It all depends on if I pass the medical I've got coming up in Tamworth. I want to vote but I don't know if I can.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 1:43pm

Quote:
Can you only get fined if you're enrolled but you don't turn up?

That is my understanding.

Quote:
I'll be moving most likely in two weeks. It all depends on if I pass the medical I've got coming up in Tamworth. I want to vote but I don't know if I can.

If I were in that situation I would leave my enrolment at my current address and vote in that electorate come election time. Not sure what the law says.

IP Logged

Marxist

Australian Politics

home
Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 1:53pm

aikmann4 wrote on Jul 18th, 2010 at 1:40pm:
Can you only get fined if you're enrolled but you don't turn up? I'm not sure how it works.

If you dont vote and they work it out they will ask if you have a good reason, If you provide a reasonable story they probably let you off if not you get a fine $20 I think.

You could pre arrage a postal vote where you are currently enroled if you move and can not get to the correct location on the 21/8.

Eligibility for early voting
You are eligible to vote before election day if, on election day,
you can’t get to a polling place because you:
■■ are outside the state or territory where you are enrolled
to vote
■■ are more than 8km from a polling place
■■ are travelling or can’t leave your workplace to vote
■■ are seriously ill, infirm or approaching childbirth (or if you
are caring for someone who is)
■■ are a patient in hospital and can’t vote at the hospital
■■ have religious beliefs that prevent you from attending a
polling place
■■ are in prison serving a sentence of less than three years or
otherwise detained
■■ are a silent elector.

Getting older is no problem. You just have to live long enough. &&&&The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.&&&&Groucho Marx &&

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 1:57pm

Quote:
are in prison serving a sentence of less than three years or
otherwise detained

That's interesting. Does that mean people serving longer sentences ar ineligible to vote?

IP Logged

Marxist

Australian Politics

home
Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 2:17pm

Absent vote: Electors who are out of their division but still within their home State or Territory, may cast an 'absent vote' at any polling place in that State or Territory.

Getting older is no problem. You just have to live long enough. &&&&The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.&&&&Groucho Marx &&

IP Logged

Marxist

Australian Politics

home
Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 2:22pm

freediver wrote on Jul 18th, 2010 at 1:57pm:
Quote:
are in prison serving a sentence of less than three years or
otherwise detained

That's interesting. Does that mean people serving longer sentences ar ineligible to vote?

Roach, 48, a resident of the Dame Phyllis Frost Women's Prison, has taken on the Federal Government and the Australian Electoral Commission in a landmark case that challenges their ban on prisoners being allowed to vote.

The result of the case will affect us all: the High Court will determine whether voting is a constitutional right and whether or not the Government can grant it or take it away.

The Howard Government introduced the blanket ban on prisoners voting last year. It was part of a natty package called Electoral and Referendum Amendment (Electoral Integrity and Other Measures) Act that involved mostly fiddly changes like requiring proof of identity when enrolling and shortening the time in which people can enrol to vote after an election is called. Before then, only long-term prisoners were stopped from having their say at the ballot box.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
This little bit of legislation is different.

This bit has potential to affect us all, not just those behind bars.

The legal question the High Court judges will decide on in June is whether or not the right to vote is protected under the Constitution. Therefore, was the Federal Government's removal of that right unconstitutional?

End result I do not know.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 9:57am

Enrolment reminder by way of *bump*

freediver wrote on Jul 18th, 2010 at 1:43pm:
Quote:
Can you only get fined if you're enrolled but you don't turn up?

That is my understanding.

Quote:

If I were in that situation I would leave my enrolment at my current address and vote in that electorate come election time. Not sure what the law says.

Yup, that sounds like a reasonable way to go - especially since the SENATE outcome is likely to be crucial to the way the nation is governed over the next few years...

Meantime, I recall that there was a fuss made, around the time of the time of the 2007 Federal election, because the Howardian Libs had passed cynical legislation, which forced the AEC to systematically data-match electoral enrolments (on things like licence changes and electricity disconnections?) and actively remove voters from the roll...

Apparently, this resulted in a significant number of voters being unwittingly removed from the roll - and it disproportionately rendered highly-mobile younger and/or lower income voters ineligible to vote - regardless of whether or not they had moved within the same electorate...

So much for 'compulsory voting', eh!?
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2010 at 10:18am by Equitist »  

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 10:16am

FYI: -

http://www.aec.gov.au/Enrolling_to_vote/About_Electoral_Roll/Roll_review.htm

Quote:
Electoral Roll Review

The AEC is responsible for maintaining up-to-date electoral rolls for federal, State and Territory and local government elections. So that the roll can be kept up-to-date the AEC carries out regular roll reviews. Up until 1998, it conducted a nation-wide door knock about every two years to check that people were correctly enrolled.

The costs of reviewing the roll by door knock were increasing exponentially. Also, because of the high mobility of the Australian population, the roll was most up-to-date just after a door knock and became increasingly out of date during the period between door knocks. The door knock was timed to provide an up-to-date roll for federal elections. This timing, however, did not necessarily suit the State and Territory election cycles. After a pilot project, the AEC commenced implementation of a continuous roll up-date process (CRU) as an alternative means of ensuring an up-to-date electoral roll.

During the period 1998 - 2002 the AEC developed an increasing number of automated systems to ensure that the electoral roll is continuously reviewed and thereby more accurately maintained. In the past 2 years further developments have been made with the implementation of a Monthly Mail Review System. This system allows for a single monthly mailout to addresses identified by:

* external data on both potential electors and current electors who appear to have moved address without updating their enrolment (change of address data).
   * internal address data that is extracted from the AEC's Roll Management System (RMANS) where:

o no electors are currently enrolled (vacant)
         o electors in different surname groups are enrolled
         o enrolment limits appear to have been exceeded
         o outward enrolment activity has occurred (former enrolled address review)
         o no enrolment review has been conducted for a specified timeframe.

Examples of data used in data matching are Australia Post Redirection Advices, Centrelink Change of Address Advices and some State Motor Transport data on new licences.

Last financial year the AEC mailed over 4 million letters reminding electors to update their enrolment details. In many instances where no response was received to the first letter a second letter was mailed. Fieldwork, including door knocks, was also undertaken at addresses where there had been no response to the mailing. In addition, the AEC and a number of State and Territory electoral authorities have enrolment programs, such as those targeting new citizens or 17 and 18 year old school students (for example, the AEC pays a "bounty" to schools for enrolments by their students, and enrolment forms are included in Year 12 Results Advice).

New data sources are being added to the CRU system, and other process changes are planned. These new and existing processes are enabling the AEC to ensure the electoral roll is as up to date as possible at any given point in time.

Removing names from the roll

When the AEC receives information that a person is no longer living at their enrolled address, a notice is sent to the elector advising that their name will be removed if a satisfactory reply is not received. Each year approximately 2% of all electors are removed by this process. Other grounds for removing names from the roll are that the elector is not entitled on citizenship grounds. Any elector may lodge a ‘private objection’ if they consider that another elector is not entitled to enrolment. Information on the private objection process can be obtained from any AEC office.

Death Deletions

The State Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages advises the AEC of any recently deceased persons. The AEC then removes these people from the electoral roll. Each year over 100,000 death deletions are made to the roll, and in the period immediately prior to elections this activity is carried out on a daily basis.

This page last updated Friday, August 03, 2007

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

jcheeverloophole

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 12:19pm

think the line taken that if you have moved and miss the close of rolls, so your old in your old electorate then you are covered.

If you wanna vote turn up on the day and ask for an absent vote. To determine your eligibility in the new electorate the DRO will ask for Proof of new address and when you moved in.

Either your vote is accepted or its not, this usually take place prior to the postals being counted.

and either Laurie Oakes or Antony Green mentioning "the all important postals' and racking up a even 100 of them faster than a T20 game Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print