Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Election called for 21st August 2010. (Read 5878 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Election called for 21st August 2010.
Jul 17th, 2010 at 1:11pm

Gillard saw the Governor this morning & it's all on.

Vote 1 - Bob Brown.

He could hold the balance of power in the lower house.

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Re: Election called for 21st August 2010.
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 1:13pm

If I'm registered to vote and I move districts between then, am I able to vote in any district or do I have to have my details updated somewhere?

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 1:16pm

I'll be voting for Bob Brown too.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 1:27pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 1:16pm:
I'll be voting for Bob Brown too.

Good on you Annie.
You can come to my place anytime.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 2:13pm

aikmann4 wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 1:13pm:
If I'm registered to vote and I move districts between then, am I able to vote in any district or do I have to have my details updated somewhere?

I think you are supposed to update your details. You have a few days at most to do it.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 2:58pm

It will be a nasty election campaign.
Julia has knifed Kevin & now she's sharpening it for Tony Abbott.

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 3:06pm

I'll be voting for the GREENS too, but, its important to preference the coalition LAST,Tony Abbott would be the biggest enviroment terrorist this nation could ever elect.
The coalition do not believe in climate change, a vote for the coalition could well mean our children do not get the chances to live the same privalaged lives we have been lucky enough to have lived.
Tony Abbott is a enviro terrorist and will destroy this country.

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 3:13pm

Vote 1 - Bob Brown.

IP Logged

Philby

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 3:54pm

Go tony, kick the rangar to the kerb.

Conservative 4 lyfe.

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 4:23pm

Philby wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 3:54pm:
Go tony, kick the rangar to the kerb.

Conservative 4 lyfe.

Now, therein lays part of the problem, not the solution!

Be it Conservative, right of centre, Labor or left of centre or even centre.

If people are not open to listen to facts and make a determination based on those facts, then they & the rest of humanity have a problem.

Btw, this is nothing against you personally, just the concept of anyone being permanently fixed into a particular Political leaning, irrespective of the value of the facts & the arguement.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 4:58pm

perceptions - ..........yawn .........

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 6:08pm

Thanks for that, Freediver. Fairly certain I'll be moving to Tamworth in a week or so so I'll have to see about getting my details updated. I'll be voting for Onyer Arse Abbott, but I'll see if there are any good right wing parties to put over him.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 6:29pm

Looks like the Greens will swoop in. I'll vote Bob Brown too.

Imperium, you do realize that Abbott will bring back eugenic racial policies and try to keep the coloureds out, don't you?

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #13 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 6:34pm

I'm voting for Tony, he's our best chance at getting this country back on track so we may recover from Labors senseless squandering  in recent years.

Labor are flakes, they're more interested in distracting Australians with the prospect of a banana republic  than giving them meaningful policies they can take to the bank.

If this really is a "federal election" Gillard better stop adding insult to injury by further insulting Australians intelligence with pseudo-policies this and start talking about the issues/policies that Australians want to discuss.

Show us your ticker Gillard, before you prod us to the polls with your pitch fork.
And be a big girl, and put old Bob (Hawk )back to bed,  stand on your own two feet, or do you need someone more experienced  to nurse you through the election?

You are not demonstrating leadership quality, when we have heard more about policy from your parents... Bob Hawk making a quick buck on his latest soap opera mini-series aside.

Someone put grandad back to bed!

But I really liked the white 'Evan almighty' power suite you wore today....  even without the pitch fork.

Cool  ...Be a big girl and show us your policies before the election, cheers.i

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #14 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 6:48pm

Karnal, even our resident immigrants are worried about the further influx of immigrants...they didn't migrate here to be burdened with the same hardships they endured back home, they come here for a better way of life, not to be treated like dogs working for a minimal rate of pay.

Well, most of them.

An associate of mine, who is Fijian Indian says if Gillard gets back in this time, she's moving back to Fiji.

She's been here for 5 years, and she herself is unhappy with the rate of immigration and outrageous living costs here in Australia.

Electricity, water, housing, school fees, she thinks it will be better to return to Fiji and enrol her child in an international "English" school, than stay here battling to pay off their house which is really placing a strain on her marriage.

Her husband wishes he'd never come here, this and wants to go home.

How about the Immigrants arriving on temp visas returning home because they cant get work and or find affordable accommodation?

Irresponsible governments like these, are of no benefit to anyone, not in the long run.

Only themselves and the ruling elite they pander to stand to gain.i

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 7:01pm

Quote:
.......He wanted the use the leftovers from the funeral for the wedding feast........

Shakespeares Hamlet.

gillrudd is showing the same .................... inconsideration , and treachery

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #16 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 7:34pm

...lol, brings new meaning to burnt offerings doesn't it.

Smiley Vultures!

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 8:24pm

Gee, Mellie. The immigrants on working visas have got a better chance of getting work here than in Europe or America. The unemployment rate's pretty low right now.

I know housing prices are going through the roof, but other than that, this is the most prosperous time in Australia's history.

You're right about Gillard's phoney assylum-seeker policies - she's lost me with that one, but if someone's going to leave a country with almost full employment in a global recession because a few boats are coming in...

Let them.

IP Logged

Tanlou76

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 8:34pm

Anybody else notice that Tony Abbott said they would not tinker with industrial relations in the first term if they win?. So that means if they win and get a second term. Work Choices take 2

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #19 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 8:47pm

The ABS stats are rather deceiving, for when we say employed, we forget to take into consideration those who are under-employed, many struggle to get a 30 hour week in, this or it's only seasonal work...it's far from reliable, secure, ....  which is why so many come here on student visas, live in 3 bedroom houses occupied by 15 people this and cant find work when they get here.

We need to start getting real about our under-employment stats, because it's these which are not being addressed.

Sad

IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Reply #20 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 8:54pm

Since Tony Abbott dumped his plans to relax unfair dismissal laws and make wage contracts more flexible, I see little reason to vote for the Libs. At the moment, I'm intending to preference Labor over the Libs but that can still change in the six weeks we have left.

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #21 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:02pm

Tanlou76, I understand your concern with "work-choices", but I think you will find he's intending on giving work choices a make-over.

Also, do you know who exploited work-choices policies to their advantage more so than the company directors themselves?

The Labor union thugs  themselves!

Labor unions cashed in on work-choices, believe you me.

So they definitely need an overhaul, noone , not even Tony is denying this fact.

Honestly, are wages, conditions any better now under a Labor government, with Australians competing with immigrants for a minimal rate of pay?

The way it is now, Australian workers, even lower ranking skilled professionals, ie teachers, nurses  lack bargaining power in their workplaces, for if they refuse to work for a given rate of pay, there is always a keen immigrant on a temp-visa willing to work for the minimum wage, with a view to being granted permanent residency at the end of it..(It's their carrot)...but where's ours?

It's a double edged sword being driven through our skilled and unskilled work force, cant you see this?

Huh Youth unemployment has reached an all time high, the highest it's been in decades, of which coincides with our rate of immigration, which hasn't been this high for decades also.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #22 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:07pm

Gillard will probably get in by a nose  Grin

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:08pm

......... by a long nose  Smiley

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #24 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:12pm

I guess what it comes down to for most voters is whether or not they personally believe they were better off before or after a Labor -Rudd government.

Personally, I think we were better off before, even with work choices, because the way it is now, wages are being kept low due to under and unemployment being high, this and the abundance of illegal immigrants who out-stay their visas working cash in hand off-the -books not paying tax after having out stayed their visas for a number of years.

Spot checks have declined, (re- checking up on work places), Labor don't care so long as it's done quietly.i

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #25 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:13pm

muso wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:07pm:
Gillard will probably get in by a nose  Grin

She'll win by a mile then;)

IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Reply #26 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:35pm

Wages being kept low is not necessarily a bad thing. It's one of, if not the most influential statistic on inflation. But yes, we definitely would have been better off with WorkChoices.

I think we were worse off after the Labor-Rudd government, but Abbott is simply not being the conservative I want at the moment and Gillard, surprisingly is.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #27 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:44pm

mellie wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:13pm:
muso wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:07pm:
Gillard will probably get in by a nose  Grin

She'll win by a mile then;)

Lol,  I would not like to see people obsess about her appearance, as it is her brain, not her body, we need to be relying on, but even so, I think they are missing some obvious chances to take the piss, and after all, she is a pollie, and they all deserve to cop a bit of stick.

I am waiting for a cartoonist to do a tortoise and hare theme for the election, with abbots triathlon fetish, and julia's lack of chin/neck definition, I would have thought it an obvious visual joke they would make use of.

I expect the election would throw up a similar result, as Abbott has effectively asleep as far as developing new policies, or creating a vision for the future too sell to the public, and just going negative, and promising a return to Howard's policies will not win him any fresh support, and without it he is doomed to fail.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #28 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:58pm

Australians love an under-dog, ...so I wouldn't write Tony off just yet...

He's got my vote this year, that's for sure.

Smiley

IP Logged

Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 10:07pm

By all means millie, vote for the guy who thinks that a woman's only value is in the home.

Whoever gets in, let us hope that neither lib/nat or labour hold the balance of power in the senate.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #30 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 10:11pm

mellie wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:58pm:
Australians love an under-dog, ...so I wouldn't write Tony off just yet...

He's got my vote this year, that's for sure.

Smiley

I think the majority would prefer this...

to that...

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #31 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 10:15pm

nah australian men dont like ugly women

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #32 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 10:17pm

Deborahmac09 wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 10:07pm:
By all means millie, vote for the guy who thinks that a woman's only value is in the home.

Whoever gets in, let us hope that neither lib/nat or labour hold the balance of power in the senate.

Ditto!

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #33 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 10:58pm

The major parties will be at the mercy of the Greens if they manage to snatch the balance of power in the Senate this election.

Labor had three years to show Australians how they had matured, this and could manage an 'adult' robust economy better than their Liberal predecessors who left them with a fantastic platform to launch from, this and have now left us in the red.

Swan claims he can clear the budget deficit in three years,(had better make this 6) ... but the Treasurer only has weeks to get Labor's economic credibility back into surplus before voters head to the polls...(Is he for real?)...
It is incredible to think that a government which emerged from the global financial crisis with the economy in robust condition has squandered the credit on which it should now be building its case for re-election.
But the mangled introduction of the mining tax, wasteful stimulus spending on schools and roof insulation, and an overall failure to perform have left it with the credibility of a lame duck.

I realise you may not like Tony as an individual, (I'm an Atheist/agnostic myself and am not a fan of his religious spool), but it's the tried and tested 'sturdy' Liberal economics that appeals to me most,  the trusty Liberal machine itself behind the Tony I have faith in.
They know their stuff...
No one can doubt this fact!

I think of Labor as a wayward turbulent pimply teen still struggling for it's place in the big league, in terms of having managed an economy without having shunted it into deficit, debt....(Ok, we let them try now and then)... whereas Libs have it down pat, are the mop and broom who dutifully clean up after Labor once it's left the house.
OK, Libs  policies aren't always popular ...(did you like your parents rules anymore when growing up?)... but they are a sturdy well-oiled machine,  this and aren't prone to the same melt-downs a spurious policy producing Labor party are.

Kids will be kids I guess, and Gillard is afterall a green-stick as are so many Labor bubble-gum candidates these days...

They're getting younger and younger, or are we as a nation becoming more ageist?

Believe me when I tell you, we need our mop and bucket (fix-it) party now (libs) now more than ever, given Labor have once again made such a mess of things, and neither Gillard or Swan are qualified to undo the damage ... have no idea how it even happened, so how can they fix it?
...What, you think Drunk old Bob (Hawk) will fix it?

Silly old bugger has lost his marbles, and should be left to retire with his pickled old brain in peace.

Roll Eyes..It's up to you, do you want a big mess or a massive mess to recuperate from when finally Libs roll back in to restore the surplus?

Leave it another 3 years and it's only going to hurt more...bit like pulling bubble-gum out of your hair.
The longer you leave it in there, the more it hurts in the long run.

If libs get in now, it wont be too bad...but it's inevitable, someone has to clean up after these messy pubescent Labor delinquents. Roll Eyesi

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #34 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 11:17pm

And remember kids, it's your future their gambolling with here, a robust economy requires more practised hands, as has been demonstrated.

Smiley Good luck to us all, because if you leave it to GilliRudds island politics, we're in for a rough 3 years.

IP Logged

Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 1:05am

Both Lib/Nat and Labour have shown that they can not be trusted when they have a rubber stamp Government.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #36 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 10:23am

Just watched channel 9 TV.
Apparently Labor could lose this election because
of 12 marginal seats in Queensland.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #37 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 10:36am

Quote:

Yes it's going to be close and the Liberals stand a good chance of winning because of these marginal seats. Fortunately the Greens are doing better than they've ever done before and might make some difference to the outcome.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #38 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 10:44am

mantra wrote on Jul 18th, 2010 at 10:36am:
Quote:

Yes it's going to be close and the Liberals stand a good chance of winning because of these marginal seats. Fortunately the Greens are doing better than they've ever done before and might make some difference to the outcome.

The Greens could hold the balance of power in the lower house.

IP Logged

jcheeverloophole

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 4:04pm

It was intersting to watch the right wing flavored media on the tv news.  The reports were all about how the ALP could loose.

Actually phony tony is going ok himself, he guarantees everything the voter with a hip pocket the world in order to secure their votes.

With a dash of xenophobia for good measure

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #40 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 4:30pm

I just love an election where both parties can claim 'underdog' status - makes for more interesting doublespeak and media commentary...

No doubt, the antics of the rabid attack-dog Abbott will make this one all the more interesting - especially if his minders can't keep the muzzle and/or and leash on him...

Oh, and the time has come for the Lib moderates and marginal seat-holders to start distancing themselves from their 'leader' to save their own electoral hides...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 7:29pm

mellie wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:12pm:
I guess what it comes down to for most voters is whether or not they personally believe they were better off before or after a Labor -Rudd government.

Personally, I think we were better off before, even with work choices, because the way it is now, wages are being kept low due to under and unemployment being high, this and the abundance of illegal immigrants who out-stay their visas working cash in hand off-the -books not paying tax after having out stayed their visas for a number of years.

Spot checks have declined, (re- checking up on work places), Labor don't care so long as it's done quietly.

The Aboriginals didn't care much either - as long as it was done quietly. Pity!

My dad jumped ship here in the 1960s. British Merchant Navy. It took them 10 years to catch up with him, and when they did, they said he'd better go down to the immigration office and apply for residency.

Mind you, he'd worked, married, and even done a free degree by then - all "illegally". Talk about the lucky country.

Now, 3000 queue jumpers get in and its an invasion.

No country has the kind of uptight, anal-retentive border protection you're looking for. There's a few million sitting around in Pakistan. If Australia seriously thinks its going down the tube because of a few "illegals," it IS going down the tube - not because of the 0.001% increase in population (or whatever it is) - but because our education system churns out a bunch of knuckleheads who'll believe anything.

Anyway, vote Liberal and long for a return to our glorious, Pauline Hanson-loving past: a nation where American tourists can walk down the black person-free streets and say, "gee, I thought they had real kangaroos here."

And watch as the boats keep coming, descending, invading - polluting our pristine population of hardworking Christian soldiers, marching as one nation under a budgie-smuggling man who wanted to be pope.

Thank God for democracy.

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #42 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 7:36pm

Abos didn't care about what, Karnal?

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #43 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 10:40pm

Accidental Leak of tomorrow's Australian Newspaper Newspoll

TPP : Labor 55% // 45

Primary

Labor steady on 42%
Coalition crash to 38%
Greens up 2 to 12%

Election calculator on this result

Coalition 48
Labor 99
Others 3

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/federal/2010/calculator/?swing=national&national=2.3&nsw=0&vic=0&qld=0&wa=0&sa=0&tas=0&act=0&nt=0&retiringfactor=1

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #44 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 10:58pm

this is enough to make me sick.
look at the look on the babies face - VERY usure.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #45 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:04pm

greenswin - it could be a close election

Quote:
The latest opinion polls has seen support for Labor slipping, with the coalition getting an early swing that could clinch it power.

A Galaxy poll conducted for the Nine Network in the 24 hours after Prime Minister Julia Gillard called the election showed Labor's primary vote had dropped to 38 per cent.

The coalition's vote was up to 44 per cent, putting both parties at 50 per cent on a two-party preferred basis.

This represented a 2.7 per cent swing to the coalition, enough to put them in power.

The Saturday Galaxy poll took the gloss off the results of another Galaxy opinion poll conducted 24 hours earlier, on Friday evening, before the August 21 election was called - which showed Labor maintaining a two-party preferred lead - 52-48% - over the coalition.

But even in that poll, there were worrying signs for Labor............

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-election/new-poll-shows-labors-support-slipping...

the only thing gillard has going for her is she is a woman.

IP Logged

Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:05pm

Geese sprint! get it through your head!
The camera person is very scary!

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #47 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:17pm

Close election ?

Are Liberals replacing Abbott as leader?

Be interesting if it was close ... yet Liberals have been neutralized and negativity will not win then Parliament.

Liberal's only hope is a major stuff up from Labor.

IP Logged

Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:27pm

Greens, that is exactly what happened in WA last time.
Libs ran their campaign saying Labour had done nothing during their time in, and labour did nothing to show that the lib campaign was a crock.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #49 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:31pm

Deborahmac09 wrote on Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:05pm:
Geese sprint! get it through your head!
The camera person is very scary!

Indeed!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print