Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Election called for 21st August 2010. (Read 5882 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Election called for 21st August 2010.
Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 7:01pm

Quote:
.......He wanted the use the leftovers from the funeral for the wedding feast........

Shakespeares Hamlet.

gillrudd is showing the same .................... inconsideration , and treachery

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #16 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 7:34pm

...lol, brings new meaning to burnt offerings doesn't it.

Smiley Vultures!

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 8:24pm

Gee, Mellie. The immigrants on working visas have got a better chance of getting work here than in Europe or America. The unemployment rate's pretty low right now.

I know housing prices are going through the roof, but other than that, this is the most prosperous time in Australia's history.

You're right about Gillard's phoney assylum-seeker policies - she's lost me with that one, but if someone's going to leave a country with almost full employment in a global recession because a few boats are coming in...

Let them.

IP Logged

Tanlou76

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 8:34pm

Anybody else notice that Tony Abbott said they would not tinker with industrial relations in the first term if they win?. So that means if they win and get a second term. Work Choices take 2

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #19 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 8:47pm

The ABS stats are rather deceiving, for when we say employed, we forget to take into consideration those who are under-employed, many struggle to get a 30 hour week in, this or it's only seasonal work...it's far from reliable, secure, ....  which is why so many come here on student visas, live in 3 bedroom houses occupied by 15 people this and cant find work when they get here.

We need to start getting real about our under-employment stats, because it's these which are not being addressed.

Sad

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Reply #20 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 8:54pm

Since Tony Abbott dumped his plans to relax unfair dismissal laws and make wage contracts more flexible, I see little reason to vote for the Libs. At the moment, I'm intending to preference Labor over the Libs but that can still change in the six weeks we have left.

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #21 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:02pm

Tanlou76, I understand your concern with "work-choices", but I think you will find he's intending on giving work choices a make-over.

Also, do you know who exploited work-choices policies to their advantage more so than the company directors themselves?

The Labor union thugs  themselves!

Labor unions cashed in on work-choices, believe you me.

So they definitely need an overhaul, noone , not even Tony is denying this fact.

Honestly, are wages, conditions any better now under a Labor government, with Australians competing with immigrants for a minimal rate of pay?

The way it is now, Australian workers, even lower ranking skilled professionals, ie teachers, nurses  lack bargaining power in their workplaces, for if they refuse to work for a given rate of pay, there is always a keen immigrant on a temp-visa willing to work for the minimum wage, with a view to being granted permanent residency at the end of it..(It's their carrot)...but where's ours?

It's a double edged sword being driven through our skilled and unskilled work force, cant you see this?

Huh Youth unemployment has reached an all time high, the highest it's been in decades, of which coincides with our rate of immigration, which hasn't been this high for decades also.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #22 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:07pm

Gillard will probably get in by a nose  Grin

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:08pm

......... by a long nose  Smiley

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #24 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:12pm

I guess what it comes down to for most voters is whether or not they personally believe they were better off before or after a Labor -Rudd government.

Personally, I think we were better off before, even with work choices, because the way it is now, wages are being kept low due to under and unemployment being high, this and the abundance of illegal immigrants who out-stay their visas working cash in hand off-the -books not paying tax after having out stayed their visas for a number of years.

Spot checks have declined, (re- checking up on work places), Labor don't care so long as it's done quietly.i

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #25 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:13pm

muso wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:07pm:
Gillard will probably get in by a nose  Grin

She'll win by a mile then;)

IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Reply #26 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:35pm

Wages being kept low is not necessarily a bad thing. It's one of, if not the most influential statistic on inflation. But yes, we definitely would have been better off with WorkChoices.

I think we were worse off after the Labor-Rudd government, but Abbott is simply not being the conservative I want at the moment and Gillard, surprisingly is.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #27 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:44pm

mellie wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:13pm:
muso wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:07pm:
Gillard will probably get in by a nose  Grin

She'll win by a mile then;)

Lol,  I would not like to see people obsess about her appearance, as it is her brain, not her body, we need to be relying on, but even so, I think they are missing some obvious chances to take the piss, and after all, she is a pollie, and they all deserve to cop a bit of stick.

I am waiting for a cartoonist to do a tortoise and hare theme for the election, with abbots triathlon fetish, and julia's lack of chin/neck definition, I would have thought it an obvious visual joke they would make use of.

I expect the election would throw up a similar result, as Abbott has effectively asleep as far as developing new policies, or creating a vision for the future too sell to the public, and just going negative, and promising a return to Howard's policies will not win him any fresh support, and without it he is doomed to fail.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #28 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:58pm

Australians love an under-dog, ...so I wouldn't write Tony off just yet...

He's got my vote this year, that's for sure.

Smiley

IP Logged

Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 10:07pm

By all means millie, vote for the guy who thinks that a woman's only value is in the home.

Whoever gets in, let us hope that neither lib/nat or labour hold the balance of power in the senate.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print