Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
The Republic Of Australia (Read 19824 times)
NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: The Republic Of Australia
Reply #165 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 11:35am

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Aug 29th, 2010 at 10:28am:
But she gave up her 'Australia' when she became a Dane, especially an archaic-backward 'Royal' that bases its superiority over others upon a Patriachial Bloodline ...again 'archaic & backwards', if not plain primative.

The Danish line of succession is no longer based on male-preference primogeniture. It was changed in 2009 to absolute cognatic primogeniture.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #166 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 11:55am

I stand corrected. But do they actually put it into practice?

I usually think that the first (born) in line of the parent's 'love/attention', tend to have more support in making a success of oneself, whereas the last (born) should inherit the house so to speak as compensation.
But then you have the First Child being that of the Father (Wealth), the Second Child being that of the World and the Third (last) Child being that of the Mother (heaps of kids).
Then theres the 50% of your child belongs to you, the Parents and the other 50% of the Child(s) belong to the World ...sometimes its gets to 75/25% either way.

...the possibilities are endless aren't they.
Wink

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #167 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 12:00pm

Soren wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 9:49pm:
Irish jokes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZmxMlSTETo

An Irishman is sitting in a pub with an empty glass in front of him… The barman asks him “Can I get you another one?”, the Irishman replies, “Why would I want another empty glass?”.

This kind of Irish joke doesn’t highlight “Irish stupidity”, but a typically Irish playful mastery over the English language. I’m told this Irish playfulness with English is the result of the grammatical differences between English and Irish Gaelic which, while it's now only spoken by a minority of Irish, still finds an echo in the way the Irish can manipulate English.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #168 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 12:25pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Aug 29th, 2010 at 11:55am:
I stand corrected. But do they actually put it into practice?

As it only came into effect in 2009 and given Prince Frederick happens to be the first born of Margrethe II and his first born is a boy, I don't think Denmark will see a Queen by primogeniture for some time.

Monarchy (particularly constitutional monarchy) seems to satisfy the very human need of connection to history and continuity (perhaps a sense of transcending death).

It works extremely well when the Monarchy has a history of benignity and the reigning Monarch epitomises the national ethos, as with most extant European monarchies.

King Juan Carlos of Spain proved to the Spanish something far more important than continuity, namely defense of the state and democracy against all enemies without and (particularly) within, when Spanish generals attempted a coup d'état. Juan Carlos managed to send a televised message to the Spanish people demanding that Spain be returned to democracy. The coup collapsed the next day and the grateful Spanish credited their king with having single-handedly saved the nation.

Quote:
the king interceded on television, in uniform as the Captain General of the Armed Forces (Capitán General de los Ejércitos), the highest Spanish military rank, to position himself against the insurgents, defend the Spanish Constitution and undermine the authority of Milans del Bosch. At that moment, the coup was taken to be a failure.

Foreign monarchies, however, will always suffer from a lack of authenticity, such as the British monarchy outside of Britain (and probably one day soon to be restricted to England when Scotland achieves full independence).

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #169 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 12:33pm

lol Irish mastery of the English language

DERES MOR TA IRALAND DAN DIS

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #170 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 12:53pm

aikmann4 wrote on Aug 29th, 2010 at 12:33pm:
lol Irish mastery of the English language

DERES MOR TA IRALAND DAN DIS

Ah, t' be sure, t' be sure.

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #171 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 1:01pm

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #172 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 9:42am

John Hewson ! Grin

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print