Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print
The Republic Of Australia (Read 19851 times)
billy the fish

Australian Politics

Re: The Republic Of Australia
Reply #15 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 12:48pm

Deborahmac09 wrote on Jul 2nd, 2010 at 12:50pm:
locutius wrote on Jul 2nd, 2010 at 12:33pm:
Happy to vote for Republic Australia...but not just for the sake of it. Haven't seen a model that is transparently better than the system we currently have or a model that hasn't been hijacked by the politicians left or right.

Until then, they can leave our current system alone.

I am with locutius on that.
Can not see we can afford it either.

if we do become a republic if and when Turnbull becomes PM (who is hell bent on us becoming one so he can hopefully be president) it will be a  banana republic because by then we wont own any thing after the libs finish selling off the rest of our assetts overseas and privatising everything else. Undecided Cry

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #16 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 12:59pm

Keep the current system, but call the Governor General something else with exactly the same rights (bugger all). Cut all connections with the Monarchy if you like. They are irrelevant to Australia.

Don't fix something that ain't broke.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #17 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 1:04pm

muso wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 12:59pm:
Keep the current system, but call the Governor General something else with exactly the same rights (bugger all). Cut all connections with the Monarchy if you like. They are irrelevant to Australia.

I agree with this, I cant see that much needs to be changed, we can run the place very much the same as a republic.We could use the same political system the only difference would be the way in which the GG was appointed/elected, that is the question that needs to be sorted,first.
I'm a republican, but its not a big deal for me, in fact i'm not that certain that i'll see a republic in my life time.

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #18 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 1:21pm

skippy. wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 1:04pm:
muso wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 12:59pm:

I agree with this, I cant see that much needs to be changed, we can run the place very much the same as a republic.We could use the same political system the only difference would be the way in which the GG was appointed/elected, that is the question that needs to be sorted,first.
I'm a republican, but its not a big deal for me, in fact i'm not that certain that i'll see a republic in my life time.

We'll probably follow Canada's lead.

I would not like to see a Presidential system. Personally I'd favour a system such as the Swiss Federal State model. The current G'sG for each of the States and the Australia GG could form a presiding council - a final check and balance with no more power than the current GG. They could meet by Internet conferencing where necessary, staying in their own states.

We don't even have to call it a Republic. Design the system we want, and call it a Federal State or whatever.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #19 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 1:29pm

The only thing good about the Queen is that she can't be bribed
like so many other leading people in Australia.
I don't trust any politicians or big businessmen & they
are the types who would end up as Presidents as someone
else with huge power instead of her.

On the other hand - it's not really fair that someone should
govern us by birth right.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #20 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 1:32pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 1:29pm:
The only thing good about the Queen is that she can't be bribed
like so many other leading people in Australia.
I don't trust any politicians or big businessmen & they
are the types who would end up as Presidents as someone
else with huge power instead of her.

On the other hand - it's not really fair that someone should
govern us by birth right.

Do you reckon we should ask the Dalai Lama if he wants to be our president?  He has too much time on his hands these days.  Grin

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #21 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 7:29pm

Quote:
Do you reckon we should ask the Dalai Lama if he wants to be our president?
He has too much time on his hands these days.  

Considering that Prince Charles talks to flowers the
Dalai Lama would probably be better.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #22 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 9:14pm

With the USA getting rid of the inferior Union Jack political expression (War of Independence,etc).
Australia holds onto the Union Jack political expression for dear life.
There are some Australians who are greatly influenced by the USA and desire a 'President' as a Head of (democratic) State ...Republic Huh and getting rid of the Union Jack political expression just like the USA did.
But with the UK being a USA colony in Europe ...anyway.
(I can see some Pommie ears steam right now and a lot of Europeans laughing, especially the Germans ...but in Europe, the winning formula is Medicine, not Politics and that's why the UK is suffering from taking '3rd world' Medical advice from the USA because they speak the same language ...in the name of Politics)

Hope I haven't lost any of you yet, with all this 'big picture' talk?

>>I can't reveal toooo much, but lets just say that there will be a Republic, but it won't be a totarian system.
There won't be a 'President' (more like a Chairman) as a Head of State (more like a Province).
The political power and expression will be with and via the People of the Australian Republic, and not via any 'Head of' anything in the name of Individualism. The Independents will emerge as a more poulace choice and Labor & Liberal will be the thing of the past.

Like I said, I can't say too much, because whispers of Civil War, tend to make things pretty ugly and you don't need me to start that one on this Forum, but let me assure you, it is highly likely, that something like that might happen well before any sense of a national Republic.

I hope this post both 'shakes' but not 'stirs' the issue.
U.nited
F.ederation of
O.ceania
...for all Austr-Aliens
Wink

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #23 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 9:26pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 9:14pm:
>>I can't reveal toooo much, but lets just say that there will be a Republic, but it won't be a totarian system.
There won't be a 'President' (more like a Chairman) as a Head of State (more like a Province).
The political power and expression will be with and via the People of the Australian Republic, and not via any 'Head of' anything in the name of Individualism. The Independents will emerge as a more poulace choice and Labor & Liberal will be the thing of the past.

Like I said, I can't say too much, because whispers of Civil War, tend to make things pretty ugly and you don't need me to start that one on this Forum, but let me assure you, it is highly likely, that something like that might happen well before any sense of a national Republic.

I hope this post both 'shakes' but not 'stirs' the issue.
U.nited
F.ederation of
O.ceania
...for all Austr-Aliens
Wink

Oh yeah - and Australia will invade New Zealand too. I saw it in a movie once.   Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RenRILqwhJs

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #24 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 9:43pm

Did I scare you that much Muso?
Sorry, just trying to help.

Three forms of Australian Politics...the UK influenced style, the USA influenced style and the Australian style that knows how to attain a good style with a blowdryer and makeup.

What am I saying here?
Well, those that rest upon the expatriated or foriegn UK/USA styles, forget that the reason the true Australian style of Politics is ....wait for it ....wait ...."SEX"  Shocked Grin  is because the Art Industry is on the brink of creating a 'Privatised' Australian nation, free from Politics beyond those two UK/USA 'visitors'.
So in the end, a Republic is just a moot system that represents the political Australia that is nothing more than the honourable 'family man'.

Am sorry, as much as I'm with you guys on Politics. I can't help but admit defeat in the face of the more powerful Art Industry. I'm not talking cliche traditional artforms like paint brush and Archibald prizes you see on TV, I'm talking state of the Art Computerised!

...and yes that includes WETA Workshop Wink

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #25 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 10:40am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 11:49am:
One reason for establishing an Australian republic would be to shed the cultural infantilism that drives the obsession with a foreign monarchy.

The only people obsessed with the monarchy are the republicans.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 12:20pm

freediver wrote on Jul 4th, 2010 at 10:40am:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 11:49am:
One reason for establishing an Australian republic would be to shed the cultural infantilism that drives the obsession with a foreign monarchy.

The only people obsessed with the monarchy are the republicans.

Were Monarchists not monarchists and not culturally infantile, there would be no question regarding removing the British Monarch as the Australian Head of State. Their cultural maturity would compel them to support even the simplest solution of establishing the Governor-General as President - i.e. the actual Head of State.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2010 at 12:52pm by NorthOfNorth »  

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #27 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 2:22pm

It is not the monarchists that the republicans are up against. It is the republicans who want a workable solution before taking the leap. Most nominal monarchists in Australia are just reacting to the silly ideas coming from the republicans, rather than people who actually like the monarchy. What is infantile is expecting republicans to setlle for any old solution so long as it isn't a monarchy, as if this is some kind of tribal battle. We are talking about our democracy here -  not something to be taken lightly and modified without serious thought.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 3:19pm

freediver wrote on Jul 4th, 2010 at 2:22pm:
What is infantile is expecting republicans to setlle for any old solution so long as it isn't a monarchy, as if this is some kind of tribal battle. We are talking about our democracy here -  not something to be taken lightly and modified without serious thought.

Cultural infantilism masquerading as wise caution... Just an attempt by monarchists and crypto-monarchists to filibuster the republican debate by the smoke screen of false caution. Republicans don't lobby for a complex model (as opposed to a ceremonial President either directly elected,appointed by Parliament or "Sovereign Council").

"Any old solution"... A typical example of the exaggerated and vacuous rhetoric of a cultural child.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 3:32pm

It is not 'wise caution'. I am not saying we should take things slowly. I am saying that I am opposed to making any change until you come up with something better. There is nothing false or superficial about it. The lack of a better alternative is not some minor issue you can deal with along the way. It is a fundamental flaw in the republican movement.

Why don't you promote a better solution? The vaccuous rhetoric is coming from the republicans. It is people like you who focus on the the issue of whether the system is laballed a republic or monarchy, who try to label your opposition with silly slogans. All you have to do is come up with something that works better and it wouldn't matter whether it was republic or monarchy.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print