Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Will Humanity Starve To Death? (Read 5073 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Will Humanity Starve To Death?
Reply #60 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 6:00pm

Quote:
See you can't just speak in terms of sustainability..without QUALITY.

I agree and think this is a huge part of the debate that is being left out.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/articles/population-sustainability.html#Population%20vs...

http://www.ozpolitic.com/articles/population-sustainability.html#IPAT

We see this directly in the short term when business claims that a labour shortage costs them in the form of high wages, so they ask for higher immigration. Those high wages mean that even Australians doing menial jobs can be reasonably well off financially. Few people put a value on the more indirect impacts on our quality of life from a high population. Everything I like about Australia is linked in some way to the low population density.

Quote:
good stuff, I hated SF until I studied his work

I suspect it is because instead of churning out the same old stories in a different setting, with a few magical technologies, he boiled down the big emerging questions that few had asked before and made them human.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #61 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 10:57am

freediver wrote on Jul 6th, 2010 at 6:00pm:
Quote:
See you can't just speak in terms of sustainability..without QUALITY.

I agree and think this is a huge part of the debate that is being left out.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/articles/population-sustainability.html#Population%20vs...

http://www.ozpolitic.com/articles/population-sustainability.html#IPAT

We see this directly in the short term when business claims that a labour shortage costs them in the form of high wages, so they ask for higher immigration. Those high wages mean that even Australians doing menial jobs can be reasonably well off financially. Few people put a value on the more indirect impacts on our quality of life from a high population. Everything I like about Australia is linked in some way to the low population density.

Quote:
good stuff, I hated SF until I studied his work

I suspect it is because instead of churning out the same old stories in a different setting, with a few magical technologies, he boiled down the big emerging questions that few had asked before and made them human.

Yes FD I agree completely with what you have said here. especially the highlighted part.

There may be higher wages but these are all absorbed for the WHOLES benefit in terms of money going back into the community, taxes and higher standard of living that everyone can partake of, in turn leading, I think, to greater satisfaction with your lot and greater efforts and involvement to preserve it.

Labour/business needs arguments are over simplified for the benefit of big business while they try to convince the public at large that the communities' and big business' interests inseparately coincide.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #62 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 11:11am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jul 6th, 2010 at 5:28pm:
locutius <<..Azimov is a very cool bloke and one of my very favourite writers.>>
................................................................................

Is it the same Azimov who wrote science fiction, much of what was made into movies? good stuff, I hated SF until I studied his work.

Yes Pansi1951 he is the same, He is also renowned for formulating the 3 Laws of Robotics

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print